Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
misspissed

Ultraviolet

Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

In the bottle:
Strong on the violet

On me:
Immediately I get a rush of eucalyptus. My reason for picking an imp of this scent is because it mentioned mint. And I'll buy anything with the hope of a minty fresh scent. That being said, I don't particularly care for eucalyptus. I don't hate it, but I don't want to smell like it either. So, I knew I was taking a risk on this. My mother however, LOVES eucalyptus and will wear just about anything containing it. The very minute I applied this to my skin, sitting next to her, she said, "Oooh what is that??" and it was then that I knew this would not be for me lol. It's a good bet that if my Mom adores it, I won't - and vice versa.

This is very heavy on the eucalyptus and violet - it has this very green smell (I don't think violet comes off as particularly floral really) - like fresh crushed herbs. It's extremely fresh and clean smelling. The mint does come through, but in a barely-there compliment to the eucalyptus. I do like the mint in this, but this is probably a little TOO green for my tastes. My mom loves it though, and I think anyone who likes things like The Apothecary and Hemlock (two of her faves), will like this as well.

Final note:
Green green green and fresh fresh fresh

In the imp: Mint, omg mint. Like, mouthwash mint. o_o

Wet: Now, I smell the eucalyptus and maybe the neroli, if I knew what that was like on it's own. It's very.. clean and fresh. Like you just brushed your teeth. But, it's lost the mouthwash mint scent. Eucalyptus, indeed. It's making me cough a bit, clearing my sinuses, though. I'm smelling the violets though. Someone mentioned those violet candies, I think? Yea. I'm getting that. Those candies that taste like violets smell? Yea.

Hour later: Soapy violets. :P Smells like someone took those violet candies and stuck them in a soaped out mouth or something. No, no. That has a bad connotation and it's not a bad smell. It's just soapy. :D

Overall: It's not bad, but it's not me. I'll either pass it off on a friend or try it as a room scent.

Edit: It's about 4 hours later and it's turned into this very warm smell. I still smell violets, but.. vanilla? That can't be right. If only I could get it to smell like this all the time and a bit stronger with this phase, because it's faded considerably.

Edited by sideviewhotel

At first this smells like lavender and sandalwood--a humid, green and brown scent. Once this settles into my skin, it's primarily mint with a hint of eucalyptus and a dash of violet. It definitely does seem like ultraviolet, although I expected it to be more purple, because of the violet in the word (I know ultraviolet isn't actually purple :P).

hmm, this didn't smell cold or metallic to me at all!

It smelled like sugary violets. The kind you put on wedding cakes.

I smell a slightly soapy and green undertone as well. It's definitely not a warm smell, it's just a slightly bluish purple smell. Not a deep purple violet, but a little wild patch of violets, bobbing in a slightly chill breeze.

I have a violet single note from another place, and I definitely prefer Ultraviolet to that. It has more depth and edge to it.

i had just about given up on this one...but i think i like it better now. it's a bit too toothpasty for me - like colgate or scope. i have to search for the violet in there...i was hoping it would be a richer violet. still, it's fresh and clean, and a bit modern, i guess? it's interesting, but i'm not crazy about it.

In the imp, this is gorgeous: mint and eucalyptus with violet sweetening them. Yum! I like it, especially as I'm starting to really adore that sort of scent.

Once on, lots of mint still. It's quite cool with a sweet candy undertone. Someone mentioned those violet candies or mints and that's exactly what I get from it. Love those.

But as it fades... where'd the mint go? It dries down to a very clean violet soap smell. Not a bad smell, but still... it's violet soap.

About three hours later I can barely smell it at all and it's almost gone, but it's still sweet violet smoke with a tiny tinge of mint to cool it.

I'm undecided on this one. I was gifted an imp and I have one coming in an order, so I guess we'll see. I'll try it again on some cotton or in my car (mmmm).

I liked the strong mentholated feel on my skin. The thing is that...

that's the only thing I liked about it.

The greenery of the eucalyptus fades out pretty quickly, and replaced by strong violets.

I didn't expect a lot out of it, because frommy experience, violet and I are really not the best of friends. This just confirms what I knew. I hoped to have more mint there, but it's ok.

For mint, I'll stick to Envy, Cathode, etc.

If you love violets, this is definitely for you.

off and away to the swap pile.

Bottle: Minty, very minty, but not entirely so. There's a light floral there too. Since violet is mentioned, it's most likely that.

Worn: AIEEE! Carpret cleaner at first. On drydown, the mint returns with a very strong throw. However, the scent doesn't last long on me at all.

Burnt: Minty carparet cleaner. It's better here.

Overall, I liked this scent quite a bit, but while an imp is nice, I doubt I'd get a larger bottle. 6/10.

In the imp this was dry, sweet, and minty. It reminded me of the smell of Leo's soft pepermint sticks when you first open the tin. Since Leo's soft mints are one of my favorite candies I find this very pleasant.

On my skin, there was the sweet mintiness at first, and then the smell of Choward's violet candies. I'm kind of liking this stage. It's fresh, sweet, and I'm enjoying the violet.

Drying down, uh oh, trouble in paradise. The sweet minty freshness is till there, but now the violet is turning soapy. I'm starting to smell like the guest soaps in my grandma's bathroom. You know the ones that no one, not even guests use? It's not a bad smell, but it's just soap. If this phase continues, I don't think I'm even going to keep the imp.

Final verdict, I like the initial stages, but my skin has turned it to soap. So, off it goes to swap.

In the imp I smell the same cold blooms that I get from Eternal. Odd, I don't get any florals once I apply this. On my skin, this is pure screaming mint and eucalyptus. The mint reminds me a bit of the mint in Tulzcha, but it's a much stronger mint here.

Violet generally goes soapy or powdery on me, but sometimes it surprises me and smells like delightful, sweet, dark violets. On me, the violet in this actually smells rotten and a bit like, um, feces. In the drydown, I'm getting that feces smell underneath the mint :P

Final thought: I smell like mint soap in a bathroom that hasn't been cleaned in a while. Needless to say, Ultraviolet is not for me.

Edited by Tania

This is my FIRST review! Funny that I'd be writing after Blood onmy Hands, as she is the one who sold me this imp! While I'd rather that it weren't the case, this is the imp that took my BPAL virginity. I placed a couple of orders with the lab (how is it that these descriptions can be so captivating as to cause me to part with my hard-won $ before smelling *anything*?!) and then bought a few imps from BomH in the meantime.

I knew they would be coming, and thought I was especially excited to try Coyote or Bastet. It was a hot summery day, and when I opened Ultraviolet I knew this was the one I had to put on! So yummy! In the vial I smelled a violet and mint refreshment... what could be more perfect for hot weather?

So I put it on both wrists and even my cleavage in my enthusiasm. Then I sniffed and sniffed. Well... I sort of liked it at first, but there was this BITE at the end that I couldn't quite pin down. It was rapidly turning on my wrists, though when I smelled my cleavage it was still fairly violet minty goodness. But, sadly, it was just a matter of time. This *rapidly* turned from sweet anticipation to nauseous revulsion. I became consumed with an overpowering soapy sweetness, and couldn't seem to escape it. It was all I could think of, and was making me queasy. How I wished that it would have stayed mellow and cool, but it got more and more viciously intense until I *had* to wash it off. So, this will be a swapper.

Funny enough, this was the only BPAL so far I have had such a powerful negative reaction to. I wish we'd gotten along better, I really wanted to like Ultraviolet. :P

Another one I stupidly didn't buy at the Black Broom back in June, when I didn't know anything about what I liked and what worked on me.

In the bottle:

Strong mint (not wintergreen or peppermint, just mint) with a little sweet something.

Wet:

The eucalyptus jumps up at me now.

Drydown:

For the first few minutes, it was mainly the mint/eucalyptus combo, which is fine by me. One of my very favorite oils pre-BPAL was a mint/eucalyptus that came wtih my oil burner, and this reminded me of it a lot.

Eventually the violets started sneaking in, which at first disappointed me (I wanted more freshness than sweetness). There was a period of time where I felt like I was chewing Trident mint gum and eating a violet pastille at the same time. :P

But...over time, the two groups of scents harmonized, and I really started liking this. There was less of a "chilly, mechanized" feeling to this, and more of a soft, powdery seagreen/violet feeling, very clean and refreshing without actually being clean, if that makes sense (no ozone or real bite).

It was definitely a bit soapy, but in a nice way (my husband said I smelled nice and clean and fresh), and I think I'll be looking for more of this. I also have a feeling that the bottle of Numb on its way will be similar, so I'll wait and see. :D

I thought I would really like this one (I'm so glad that there are so many imps to try as I am still learning what kind of scents I like and don't like!) as it has mint but as I am learning, my skin doesn't get on with mint scents.

There is something nice about this scent but it just isn't me at all - It could just be the mint or it could be the other ingredients mixed with it - I'm not sure!

WHOA!!!! Icy nose on 1st whiff. This smells more like spearmint to me mixed with the eucalyptus in the imp. On my skin the mint and eucalyptus tone down and I get metal tinged violets. I like and it actually last on my skin.

This was a lovely minty scent for the first hour or so before it started to fade. Then violets came out, and that killed my love for this scent. *sob* I loved the mint, but violets end up smelling musty on me.

In the vial: Minty!

On, wet: Oh my. Is it minty? Is it sweet? Is it floral? Yes.

Later: Good staying power and oomph, and it never turns all violet or all mint. No neroli in here to speak of, but that's okay, I liiiike. It smells kinda like a mint tea blend I have, very herbal and well-blended.

The mint and violet are what comes out on me the most. It does seem "chilly" somehow, almost like cold metal. It reminds me of a violet breath mint. It's really lovely, and I think it would great as a layering fragrance as well. It's sharp at first, but smoothes down pretty quickly. Glad I ordered this one, it's a keeper!

(K, the hubby, tried it last night; I'm wearing it today)

I say: In the bottle, minty and antiseptic

On K it smells: Minty, then violets.

K thinks it smells: cold

When pressed for details, he said: first it's cold, then it's SAD.

They say: Electrifying, mechanized and chilly -- the scent of crushed blooms strewn on cold metal. Lush violet and neroli spiked hard with eucalyptus and a sliver of mint.

K was not so hot on this one, if only because he was wearing a scent that was cold and sad. We decided it was evocative of late february/early march in the snowy climates we grew up in, but on a day that was sort of rainy/freezing rain. K said that it's sort of like the smell of Sigur Ros music. This one is not specified as gender neutral or masculine, but I didn't tell him that :P (but it makes the Sigur Ros analogy even more apt, imo)

I'm wearing it today, and I get the violet more than the mint. I'm thinking it's a good "pale and delicate" winter gothy scent. Not sure if this is for me, however, I'd like to try it again in a few months. Definitely doesn't feel like an autumn scent.

Edited to add: I do like it after wearing it for a few hours...it's evolved into a very nice "faded pressed violets found inside an old book" smell.

Edited by ayelienne

Imp: He says minty lollipops. I say fumey green cleaner with a possibly piney aftertaste. Clearly we smell differently.

Him:

Wet: Hmmm, I'll be…. It really is minty on him. Minty, definitely very green, and fumey. Despite all that, it’s a wee bit creamy and round smelling. Not at all what I expected from this.

10 min: green, creamy violet and mint.

25 min: faint clean, green, slightly creamy plantlife. But this doesn't have much throw on it.

1 hr: very faint. Fades away by 1.5-2 hrs.

Me:

Wet: Smells like a fumey cleaner, slightly pinesol-y. And whew! Something almost camphorous. Its clearing my sinuses right up--must be the eucalyptus…. Also, this is odd, but there seems to be a bit of barn hay in this. Fresh hay, not old dry hay.

Drying: More mint/eucalyptus during the drying phase, with a very grassy/hay-like background--fresh, green and minty. I should also mention that my arm is tingling where I put this. Fresh tingle, not bad tingle, but interesting.

10 min: Holy crap, its really tingling now. Its like my arm is eating a coughdrop--or like I just rubbed icy hot on there. I'm really disturbed. The smell is green, fresh, sweet and minty/eucalyptus at the same time. It's really interesting. This could make an invigorating bath soak or body wash. Unless it melts my skin off first.

30 min to 1 hr: It tames into more of a sweet green violet with a hint of mint. The continues to diminish, and the eucalyptus and mint are both gone by 1.5-2 hrs. This has great throw, and lasts for 4-5 hrs. Unfortunately by the ends its that green bitter vegetable smell that I've come to greatly dislike in violet blends.

Overall: This is a very interesting scent. It's different. And it's actually a very pleasant fresh scent (except for the bitter end). But it's not something I would wear if it were competing with all my wonderful other bpals. It would make a kick-ass wake me up in the morning shower gel, though. I'm glad I tried it.

Wow... crushed violet in a bottle. Perfection!

I can't wear florals, they go all wonky on my skin, but this is SO pretty!

This is deffinately not an imp I would have tried on my own, but thank goodness for frimps!

Very pretty spring time scent!

Let me say this alone; UltraViolet saved my budding relationship.

My beau had moved into a house and into the basement. I don't know what is living down there - mold or some other fungus - but there were times I couldn't stay there for even a few hours without falling into sneezing fits. I was miserable and he was feeling bad.

One night, on a whim, I decided to wear Ultraviolet on my pulse points on my neck before heading over.

In the bottle: Good -morning-! This is a scent that I open on the days I just can't get going. The days that I need help to find the coffee maker. Eucalyptus, then mint, then florals hit me in a three punch combo. When I first got the bottle, I didn't think I'd be able to wear it and would have to use it in that morning wake up sense.

On the skin: At first, it's pretty much the same thing as in the bottle and it does clear my head, both in the olfactory sense and the mental clarity sense. I can breathe and I remember how to make coffee. At seven in the morning, that's no small feat.

Dry down: My skin chemistry starts to settle the scent after about twenty minutes or so. Everything blends in subtly, but you can still pick notes. My guy did a double sniff as I walked past and said "Eucalyptus....mint.... something pretty?" This is one I have to use with prudence. A little goes a -long- way. If I overdo it, I'm wearing it from morning til the next shower.

Here's the good news, though. When I wear Ultraviolet, I don't sneeze. This stuff is better than Sudafed and if my loved ones really love me - hint, hint - they'll purchase me a big bottle of this on my birthday or holiday.

I could imagine this as a very definitive fragrance for the right person. A scent that would be unmistakably recognizable as theirs to all who knew them. I don't think it'll be mine, but I do think I'll keep this as a room or sniffer scent for the pure refreshment of it. Here's the breakdown:

Overall impression: Light yet potent, strongest note is green/mint, invigorating with a leaning towards medicinal

Wearing it dry: The aggressive coldness is remarkable, and even after it begins to fade and settle into more floral undertones I can really feel my sinuses clearing - a benefit, but not really something I want in a body fragrance. The gracious violet is a latecomer to this party, and I wish it had made an earlier appearance and kept that rowdy mint from making such a scene and drinking all the sangria.

The boy: Gave my wrist to my boyfriend for review after I'd worn it for a few minutes. I pretty much knew his response was going to bring up some type of medicine-likeness, and sure enough it was cough medicine that registered in his memory. We smelled it a few more times and fianlly agreed that it's "just wierd" for a perfume.

This was a freebie from the Lab.

It smells strongly mint when I first put it on but after a few minutes, it becomes sharp and hard. I think that's the eucalyptus blending with the mint. It's vaguely medicinal though, which helps clear my sinuses. Hee. In the late drydown stages, this becomes a softer version of mint and violet. It's not a bad blend, but when the majority of its skin life is that hard mint, I think I may have to pass.

I approached this scent cautiously, as I had a really horrible reaction to Cathode, and I thought this might be more of the same.

In the vial, it was wonderfully minty (so was Cathode). I dabbed the barest, tiniest amount on my skin, and hoped for the best.

Wet, there was a delicious rush of mint.

Drydown: Crap. There it goes, changing and twisting, just like Cathode did. Happily, my reaction to Ultraviolet was not nearly as strong or horrible as the one I had to Cathode, but still, I had an unpleasant reaction.

Dry: It smells like...mothballs. Seriously. It's making me vaguely nauseous, and yes, indeedy, I have the metallic taste in my mouth that I got from Cathode.

The difference in the reaction is that this time, my skin didn't amp it up, it washed off easily, and I didn't have the pounding headache with it. But it was bad enough I won't be wearing it again. Bleah. Guess I'll be steering clear of Nuclear Winter and Numb, too, since they're described as being similar. I don't know what ingredient is causing the reaction, but damn, I hate it. :P