Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
zillah37

Xanthe, The Weeping Clown

Guava, orange peel, white pepper, spun sugar and apple blossom.

This smells great! The first few whiffs remind me of the green Herbal Essences shampoo I wore in the late 90's, but prettier. As it dries the guava becomes more prominent, and the white pepper comes out to play. This is warm and sweet and so happy. I think I'll wear it in the winter when I need a pick-me-up.

2015 version! I'm normally not big on fruity or foody scents but I'm glad I went for the whole decant set so I could try stuff outside my comfort zone. This one worried me at first -- it went on very fruity and sharp with a weird musty undertone. But it softened as it dried into something really clean and fresh and invigorating. I'm not getting any floral notes at all, just bright citrus and a hint of zippy spice. It reminds me a bit of White Rabbit, which always reads as fruity to me for some reason. Very pleasant and bracing.

Tested quickly as this decant was actually for my mom, and I know it's not gonna be my kind of thing. Curiousity though...

Candy!! Xanthe smells like sugary fruity candy! After a moment or two I can start to separate the guava and the orange. There's a pretty note next that I guess is the apple blossom. The white pepper stayed in the background and wasn't so much distinguishable by itself as it was kind of a sturdy base for the fruit to sit on. But I didn't keep it on for more than 10minutes or so though.

Fun, bright guava and sugared orange peel. Very sweet and fun, reminds me of the candy some restaurants give out with the bill. Happy to have tried and will use the decant, but I won't need a bottle.

EDIT: Drydown lessens the punch. It becomes creamier and softer. I may need to get a bottle after all.

Edited by sarandipitee

2015 version

Super guava, spun sugar and apple blossom. The guava is pretty much the biggest dominant note in this. Huge throw. Huge wear length.

It's very sweet, fruity blend. Slightly tropical. Definitely more of a candy-like sugary blend that I expected. This is like getting guava smeared all over your face. All over.

Tropical, sweet, guava.

Yeah I mean it's fruity candy. Like woah fruity and sweet. Makes my teeth hurt. I'm not sure why I thought I would go for it.... Maybe because I'd had a run of lab fruits that really worked well on me. Not this though. It's just tooooooo.

Tzi

2015 version. Uber sweet orange and cream. These are orange Campino's in scent form. Too sweet and fruity for me.

2015: Sweet guava, but to me it's not like candy-sweet.. more like the natural sweetness that fruit gets when it's just perfectly ripe and then you shove it in your face. Orange adds just a hint of citrus tang, and I think the pepper keeps Xanthe from being overwhelmingly cloying.

Overall, very fruity, sweet, and feminine, and the guava keeps it unique while still being in the family of sweet berryish scents.

huh thought I had reviewed this but apparently not...

okay so color me a weirdo but I get papaya

new release... I skipped it first time around...

so strongly papaya I see the black seeds and the bright orange flesh and every darned thing.

guava and I are not close... I eat guava paste being from Brazil... and it is not sticky guava paste it is most definitely papaya on me and I LOVE IT

Ugh. Absolutely DELICIOUS in the imp! THAT's how you do spun sugar in a perfume!

I'm not even sure if I have many more words to describe it other than 'sweetness' or 'fruity candy'.

Dry, it's a little more subdued, a tad more creamy. But still sugary with a harsh edge... as if I can "smell" coarse sugar. ...Which is giving me big 'ol Killer klowns from outer space vibes that I don't mind at aaall!

...I don't really have many sweet (feminine, though I find this to be pretty neutral) perfumes in my collection. And who doesn't love the carnival. I'm sold. I NEED a bottle. :wub3:

The sweet citrus reminds me of Gobo and Lemon-Scented Sticky Bat. This smells just perfect, fruity and delicious. I agree with Andyl, it doesn't strike me as candylike and saccharine, but rather like the natural sweetness of the fruit, enhanced. Okay, with maybe a little cotton candy on top, Uncle Brian style.

On skin, it's sweetened, beautiful guava and orange-- distinctly the peel. This is a white-and-orange colored perfume, so bright and happy for such a sad clown!

2015 version in 2020:

I didn’t read the description before I put it on, and I was convinced the primary note was sugared mango after I wore it for a while.  

After looking at the description, I can definitely separate out the fruit and the apple blossom and the sugar.  I don’t get any pepper, just leafy, sugary fruit.  Very nice, but faded quickly and was not one that would tempt me to find a bottle as it just didn’t have enough staying power.

I very much wanted to write a glowing review for Xanthe today, but alas, fruit notes are usually iffy on me. This one starts out with a very pretty sugary guava and cotton candy and quickly goes sour on my skin and stays that way. The apple blossom does lend a nice clean, pretty floral laundry vibe that I do enjoy, if only it would be enough to overshadow the sour vibes.

On the bright side I do really enjoy the opening, so this will be a very nice sugary, fruity floral scent with a creepy edge for clothing and lockets for me. I'll be needing something to freshen clothes anyway, and Xanthe is bubbly, sweet, and uplifting, so this will be perfect!

Orangey, citrusy, sparkling with sugar, this smells like a big glass of fanta or sprite, bubbly with carbon dioxide.