Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
opaleyes

Cockaigne

The Land of Plenty, also called Luilekkerland – the Lazy, Luscious Land: milk and honey, sweet cakes and wine.

In the imp: Sweeeeeeeet! Out of the bottle, it has a VERY strong smell of ultra-buttery, sweet cake. Holy wow, Paula Deen would love this, because it cooks with even more butter than she does.
On, wet: Less butter, but the generally sugar-sweet aroma has morphed into something that's distinctly honey. The wine is there, but almost an afterthought.
On, dry: A touch more wine, but other than that, little change. There are these crispy North African pastries that are fried in oil and then saturated in a honey-lemon syrup, and that's exactly what this smells like to me: super sweetness with a touch of tang.
Later: The honey note is deeper and richer now, more like brown sugar or crème brulee—very delicious. The wine never makes itself a big presence for me—its acid is keeping the sweetness in check, but it's definitely the supporting player here.
Overall: Extremely foody, very well done. I'll be keeping my imp for sure, but I'm not sure if this is a big bottle scent for me—nice as it is, and as much as I like food scents, I don't know if I really want to smell like a plate of baklava all the time. ;-)

This is actually what I expected MiskU to smell like. In the imp, it was cake slathered in melted, sweet butter.

On me, it was this gooey cake covered in honey and cream.

On dry down, this does something similar to what MiskU did when wet... only this one stayed!

Throw is incredible, and lasting power is awesome.

In Imp: Sweet and creamy, like sugar and milk with a hint of butter added to it. This is already making me hungry.

On Skin: Still sweet, just like a cake that's made with brown sugar and a little streak of honey. There's milk on the side with a faint wisp of wine in the background. The throw on this scent is really good and it makes me smell like I just baked something yummy.

Dry: Brown sugar is what I'm getting mostly when in the dry phase, the honey and milk is fading and the wine that was barely there is no where to be seen. It still smells delicious and sweet though and the scent stays on me for a good, long time.

This starts out smelling like frosted granola cereal with sweet milk. Very powerful, as well. It turns somewhat smoky, continues to be strong, and turns to a Yankee Candle. Trade Bag.

It's what Channukkiyah SHOULD have smelled like... deliciously cakey... I want to say it smells like a cinnamon bun but that's not quite right. Hm. Not sure I would wear this, but YUM!

Sniffing the imp and wet on my skin, it's milk and cookies.

As it dries, it takes on a boozy quality with the milk and cookies(cake) notes underneath.

I LOVE this scent. Buttery goodness forces it's way to the top of the imp, pushing the sweet cakes, milk, honey and wine to the back of the bus.

Once on it's :heart: :yum: :heart: OMG a bakery on my skin. In the dark days pre-BPAL I never would have thought I'd want to smell like a bakery. Those days are behind me now and my nose is so happy.

The almost overpowering butteryness fades fairly quickly and the cake note lasts and lasts. When I huff my wrist I pick up the hint of what must be wine, though it reminds me of rum soaked raisins.

Big bottle? Yes, I do believe so.

Oh Good Gods my skin does some horrible things to this. In the imp, it's pretty foody. This usually spells disaster for me. Wet, it's all cake and honey. As it dries, the wine curdles the milk on my skin and the resulting scent is some horrible twist on maple syrup. Rotten maple syrup, or something equally as awful. Oh this is bad. I need to wash this off immediately.

I love sweet foody scents. This scent lived up to it's description and is great but doesn't last very long.

imp: sweet cake with an orange glaze

on me: buttery yellow cake, honey, and some tanginess from the wine

In the imp I smell sweet vanilla cakes and a deep wine. The first sniff was almost all wine, but the next few found more cake..

Oh wow, on my skin it's all cake. That is not a complaint. It reminds me a lot of both drink me and eat me. Not quite as sugary sweet as drink me is, though.. I believe the milk note seems to be toning the cake and honey down, a bit. I don't get much wine now that it is on my skin. Drink me reminds me of a child's vanilla birthday cake, with tons of vanilla frosting - very sweet and thick. This is more of a pound cake, with some fresh whipped cream. Still delicious, but in a slightly calmer way.

Initial Smell from Bottle: Wow, this is cloying. Something yeasty is lurking underneath all those sweet berries.

Wet: Bread and wine. I amp boozy notes, so the wine is definitely dominant here.

Dry: Now it's a huge ball of dough, a vat of wine, and gingerbread cookies all laid out on a table. Nice if you're looking for that sort of scent, I suppose, but it's making my stomach turn. I think this smells like communion in a bottle (not that I've ever been to communion, so I guess I'm not very well-informed). A savory, boozy, yeasty fragrance.

Out of 10: 3

another one of my freebies

first sniff: Wow, this is so sweet! almost sickly sweet.

wet: I can smell the wine, but it is (sadly) overpowered by the sweetness of honey and sugary, chocolate cookie dought.

dry: Horribly sweet, which is too bad because it overpowers the wine too much.

final thoughts: too sweet for me, gives me a headache.

Ahhh, so glad I decided to test this baby twice! The first time I tried it out, it was so gross. Like, Gluttony gross. Scrub my arms with steel wool gross. It was all yeasty and boozy (which I would've loved, if it weren't for the fact that it was awful two dollar beer) and sugar, and just WRONG. I was kicking myself, because I thought I'd love it, and I swapped something quite dear to me in exchange for a bottle (I know, I know, never again.) SO glad it worked on me the second time. I figured I might give the bottle a little roll before hand and mmm, wonderful. Honey and wine and cake. Delicious, spice and sugary cake. Wonderful. So, so pleased it's cooperating. It's not my very favourite, but it'd be a wonderful day to day scent when I need to give my other babies a break.

In the Vial: Whoa CAKE! And then wine. Honey. Whoa.

Wet: How bizarre! Definitely a honey-soaked cake note, but then the odd tang of wine (that smells more like the lab's champagne note to my nose).

Drydown: The super sweet, honey-soaked cake is now getting spicy. Gingerbready. The wine ("champagne") note is still discernible, though on my skin, fades away before the cake does and changes the cake note into a still sweet, but slightly grapey cake.

Verdict: All in all, a really interesting blend. I'm tempted to hang onto this imp just because of how odd I find it. :P But I suppose I wouldn't be too upset if I wound up swapping this away.

Cockaigne:

In the Imp: Smells like a squirrel's dream....nuts.....creamy nuts.

Wet: Exactly the same on my wrist....I dare not go outside, for the squirrels.

Dry: Did i close all the windows? Can the squirrels get in? Wait, maybe it's nutmeg I smell. Do squirrels like nutmeg?

Timelapse 1 hour: Yes, this is truly industrial strength.....but now I no fear squirrels, for I know what my wrists smell like. Curry. With raisins for garnish. If I think "cake" i can still smell the cake....but now it's in my head....curry.

Timelapse 2 hours: Do squirrels like curry?

Verdict: Thick, rich, foodie. If you keep thinking cake, it's a much more palatable fragrance than if you think curry. Keep thinkin' cake, folks!! :ack:

This reminds me a lot of the Villainess scent Decadence, a bit sweet, a bit foody, and a bit boozy all at once.

The wine-y scent burns off my skin quickly, which is a good thing because it turns sort of metallic for a moment; and then a creamy, nutty scent is left.

Nice, but not bottle-worthy.

In bottle: Buttery sweetness.

On me, wet: Buttery honeycomb. Very sweet.

On me, drying: Overbearingly sweet with a “dirty” overtone – tobacco?

Verdict: Another eagerly-awaited foodie to consign to the “no-go” pile. Not as gross as Knave of Hearts or Gluttony, though.

In the imp: Wow. *cough* REALLY sweet cakes!

Wet: Sweet cake with a syrupy *too* sweet note that's slightly sickning >< This makes my whole arm and body smell like maple syrup candies (if you're from the Northeast you know what I'm talking about :lol: )

Dry: As this dries it mellows out...a LOT! This is still sweet and cakey but not headache (or cavity!) inducing as it was before. I actually really like this. Cockaigne is sort of like a "cake" single note to my nose. I think I'd like to use this for layering. I personally don't feel like this smells like ANY of the Monsterbaits. Underpants was more of a vanilla sandalwood scent and Underbed and Closet were cassia cake (more cassia than cake) and butter rum. This is CAKE with all caps on!

Overall: This grossed me out at first but it actually works out quite well on my skin. This one has AMAZING throw. My husband can smell this from across the room. From far away it smells like baked goods.

Foody scent lovers come hither, Beth baked up something deeeelicious for you! :yum:

Edits: I can't type :P

Edited by Monster

This smells of spice cake! And a titch of booze. The cake is not a super-sweet cake. There’s a flour note here, but also a bit of lemon and butter. It’s like cake-batter with lemon zest and spice sprinkled on top. It is quite realistic.

The lab frimped me this and I'm so glad they did because I love it!

In the bottle: Whoa, sweet. Sweet and buttery. The scent reminded me of kettlecorn or popcorn balls. Butter and carmalized sugar. Mmm.

Wet: It still smells the same as it did in the bottle, actually. Sweet, buttery. Not quite getting the 'cakey' element other people are talking about, but I don't mind that.

Dry: Ah, here comes the wine. It's not an especially strong note, it's there just under the surface, tempering the sweetness. The slightest hint of boozyness. This also has an enormous throw, which is making me kind of hungry. ^_^

I don't feel like this is something I could wear every day. It's way too sweet. But it smells so nice... I'll keep the imp for when I'm feeling decadent.

In the imp, I get spicy honey cakes. Oh, this is going to be good. On my skin, it's still spicy honey cakes, and wine added underneath. Oh my. I'm thinking this may be a bottle, barring any horrible twists.

Mmm the grown up sister to Eat Me.

I'm picky about sweet smells because many tried before BPAL were VERY synthetic. BPAL has totally changed my mind.

This is addictive. My new "come hither" scent. Fortunately I got this in time for Valentines Day..nice surprise for the sweetheart later!

Honey sweet, soporific, decadent. This doesn't have a suffocating sharp cake smell like Eat Me. I really do smell like honey drenched baklava. Mmmm what more could I ask for??!

In the imp: I get a huge rush of sugar, and underneath that it smells of spice, like gingerbread. It's very intense, and I instantly think of iced spice cookies. It smells delicious!

On me: Both wet and dry, I smelled exactly like fresh-baked spice cookies. It made me want to eat something. When it dried, I could smell a slight hint of fruit; that might be the wine coming out. The smell did get a bit cloyingly sweet on me after a few hours, though, so I think I will have to use this scent sparingly. It lasted quite a long time as well, and my family could smell it from several feet away.

It smells so delicious that I'm definitely keeping the imp! Even if I don't use it on myself, there are plenty of times when I want to smell iced spice cookies.

It smells like a oatmeal cookie! I can smell something nutty. I get a very faint whiff of wine but not much. It's sweet and foody but comforting, just like food should be! I'm really liking it. If I gnawed off my arm, I wonder if any one would notice......