Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
The_Witching_Hour

Tavern of Hell

White gardenia, ambergris bouquet, lavender fougere, orange blossom, melissa, tobacco flower, coriander, ebony wood, ylang ylang, absinthe and aged whiskey.

Gross florals in the bottle. Goes on as a gross lavender, which abruptly dries into a fizzy ctirus! This sadly continues to change into the gardenia, and then the tobacco flower shows up. Finally the old-cigars note of ylang ylang appears, and I'm done. This is definitely an Older Lady perfume; I can see a Fifth Avenue socialite wearing this. And I can see myself opening the windows to clear out the room after she left.

Fresh: CITRUS. A creamy, flowery, citrus shampoo. I can smell that hint of good lavender. Fun, and sweet with a twinge of bitterness (maybe wood?) that keeps it from being too sweet.

Drying: MELLOW, citrusy, and wearable! Starting to get the mulled wine thing, too! Definitely wine. NOW we're in a Tavern with a busty lady.

Quite like it good experience all around.

Citrusy and floral, with smoky undertones. Mmm, and some tobacco coming out! I had expected tobacco flower, but this smells more like dried tobacco to me. Nice! That citrus is still throwing me off though. I think if it weren't for that, I would like this a lot, as the tobacco note is sublime. The whiskey doesn't hurt, either....but alas, whatever that citrus is, it's not for me.

Imp: Orange blossom and wood.
Wet On Me: Definitely Orange blossom, faint traces of the ebony wood and ghost whiffs of whiskey
Drying Down: Oh hello Tobacco flower! I see you came to dance with the Orange Blossom and wood that I also smell. And Thank you Mister Wiskey and Absinthe for behaving and not trying to stomp all over this. Ya'll are doing a lovely ring around the rosey under my nose.
Dry: This is interesting. I get citrus flowers, wood and booze all mingling together. This has a dark almost forbidden lusts vibe.

This was my last frimp to test out from my first BPAL order. I kind of put it off since I was expecting cigar smoke and stuff like that. Fortunately, the notes list and reviews made me feel more at ease about testing this one out.

In Bottle: It's boozy and a little sweet in sort of a cologne way, I think.

Wet on Skin: Still very cologne, but less boozy, I feel. I think I can smell the gardenias in here, as well as some other things I can't pin down (maybe the tobacco flower and other things; I don't know what tobacco flowers or absinthe smell like).

Approx. 2 Hours Later: I got to this later than usual since I went on a walk and light jog. It's lightened up by now, but it did have a point where it seemed heavy on the whiskey and maybe some of the ebony wood. Maybe I'm getting a hint of the orange blossom as well by thus point.

------

Despite its title, this one isn't very fire and brimstone, but that's a bit relieving to me. Even so, it's still not my style, personally.

If you like something a bit heavy and more on the masculine side, boozy but with a little sweetness, then I would recommend giving it a shot. Then again, most of the reviews sound different than mine?

Maybe I amp absinthe...at first this smelled like ylang ylang, which I tend to not like, with some other stuff, but then the licorice qualities of the absinthe came out. It could also be I am just super sensitive to it, becauase licorice. There's definitely coriander, but it smells more like a savory dish than a scent I want to wear.

I didn't expect a scent named Tavern of Hell to be so delicate or elegant, but that's the magic of BPAL! It starts out with mostly booze and wood on me, turning into a clear boozy floral with a touch of ambergris. The absinthe comes across less as booze and more like an interesting herbal top note, which is lovely. Gardenia, orange blossom, and ylang ylang can all be temperamental on me but somehow they're all behaving, melding into a soft, gentle yellow floral with a whiskey/wood base. I agree that this is a classic sort of perfume, at least in structure; I've never smelled anything quite like it.

Well unless your idea of hell is lavender, then I’d instead call this Tavern of Let’s Have a Nap. It’s a very relaxing scent! Starts out quite lavender-boozy, and dries into more lavender-tobacco. If I were getting a massage and having a drink (which sounds great), I’d imagine this to be the smell. Goes a bit soapy on me…that’ll be the lavender. Relaxing, floral, quiet.

Where to wear this: On a rugged, studly man with a dark past

it;s hard for me to pick anything out specifically in this blend when it's wet. It's a little boozy, but not like I accidentally spilled my drink. I absolutely get absinthe and whisky as it dries. There is some white florals giving this a little softness around the edges, nothing distinct though. It's really wearable and I think would be great on anyone. It does feel like a scent that I'd wear to a gathering or party.

In the imp: dark woods and lavender. Almost smoky.

Wet: Similar to in the imp, maybe with some tinge of heady floral? Also licorice?

Dry: Looking at the notes I understand this scent better. Boozy muddled florals, with a woody base. I get a tiny bit of absinthe dry. A little too much going on for me here!

In the imp: Whiskey! Absinthe! Lavender fougere! Orange blossom! Tobacco flower! There’s a lot going on in this one.

Wet: The lavender fougere is very prominent on me. I’m also getting the licorice-y absinthe, gardenia, and orange blossom, followed by the tobacco flower. As it sits on my skin, the tobacco flower becomes more prominent, and I start to get the ylang ylang. So… licorice-y, slightly smoky lavender fougere accompanied by some floral notes. And then the whiskey joins in. Yeah, there’s a lot going on here.

Dry: The notes stop clamoring with each other, allowing the scent to finally calm down. The whiskey is now one of the main players. It’s now mostly boozy, tobacco flower and fougere with some florals in the background to my nose. I’m not getting any of the absinthe note anymore.

Verdict: I was curious about this because of the lavender fougere, but there’s too much going on in this one for me.

I purchased an imp of this from a forumite based on a recommendation from another forumite.  This review will be short and unfortunate.

In the imp:  Whiskey

Wet on skin: Whiskey

Dry: Whiskey

3 hours later: Still whiskey

After trying to wash it off: Whiskey

I was really excited about this based on the recommendation and the reviews, but despite the huge list of notes in the description I ended up with single-note whiskey. :cry2:

I'll try it again later, but this tavern has left a terrible first impression.

Edited by Laughing Seagull

I disagree with so many of these notes, but I love this blend. 

There is a lot going on, and the overall effect to me is a woodsy-fragrant liquor, the kind you sniff and sip and swirl and savor, served in a darkly paneled personal library with well-oiled leather-and-wood armchairs, near a fire that's trailing slinky, perfumed smoke. 

The fougère behaves. 

The whiskey gives me aged wood more than booze. 

The florals don't turn into potpourri OR a funeral like they usually do on me. 

The overall effect is smoky, slinky, woody, flower-fragrant without being floral (I know that doesn't make any literal sense, but it's what I've got). 

It makes me feel rich. 

Received as an imp. Lives up to its name. I imagine a smokey tavern full of demons. Smokey faded woods, it's slightly floral, & faintly somewhat sweet, but overall just a place burning with evil & booze. It's an interesting scent.

another frimp scent!

when just put on, it smells like a baked good, like a fall candle that bath and body works would sell. firstly I notice caramel, along with a hint of salt, flowers, and a bit of wood. overall, it's salted caramel in the woods.

it's stayed that consistent smell for about 30 minutes, if it changes I'll edit the post