Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Jabberwocky

An earthy yet buoyant scent: pine, eucalyptus and orange.

Whoa -- this is very much a wake-the-hell-up! kind of scent!

This was an unexpected frimp from a friend -- I wouldn't have ordered it, because it's such an odd combination of notes and I couldn't imagine them working well.

But it's actually much more pleasant than I would have expected -- bright and sharp and spicy, and just very slightly sweet. It smells a lot like something you would find sold as an "energizing" or "revitalizing" aromatherapy blend -- not like something you'd expect to find sold as a perfume at all. It's nice, but in a very unconventional way. It does get a little bitter on drydown, though.

I couldn't see myself wearing it as a daily scent, but it would probably be excellent for deadline-driven all-nighters, and keep me awake better than coffee.

Grade: B Edited by Shollin

In the vial: Woah...all I get is a very menthol type smell..probably the eucalyptus and pine. It made my eyes sting a little

Wet on my skin: *DYING* It's a giant pine tree. I do not like this so far....please change..right now I feel like it's clearing my sinuses. Yikes!

Dry down: The orange is TRYING to peek out, but the pine and eucalyptus have blended together to create some kind of bizarre cough candy type smell...not something I would want to wear.

This is a very fresh smell, and I can understand the appeal of it for some people.

It has tons of throw, and is very unique.

It kind of reminds me of Belladonna - which I also disliked.

This was a hard one to scrub off though..so be warned to those who are trying it, but are unsure of it like I was.

In the bottle: VICK'S VAPO RUB!!!!!!!!!!! Actually...the benelyn pluggy in the wall thing that makes your nose clear. That's what I smell. It's the eucalyptus. YAY CLEAR SINUS PERFUME! :P

Wet: ::.CRIES.:: So much pine. I just rolled down a rocky hill and crashed directly into a pine tree. And then all the little needles fell on me and a couple pinecones and now I'm sad. No more eucalyptus. I smell not this orange.

Dry: ...I'm still in the pile of pine needles....

No. Not for me.

VICK'S!!! With hints and whiffs of pine needles. No citrus.

The citrus finally creeps out and it's a very faint orange rind scent... not at all sour, but definitely not enough to beat out the overpowering eucalyptus. :P

Tried courtesy of the General Catalog swap.

When I first apply Jabberwocky, I get a sweet, pine scent. Sweet sugared pine. It smells very fresh, with an almost juicy type scent. It is reminiscent of the 2005 Yule pine scents – Snow Moon, Snow Angel, Talvikuu. It has a similar note without the florals, but instead an almost fruity scent. Upon review of the notes, that must be the orange making an appearance.

As it wears on the skin, the pine disappears and I’m left with something that reminds me of a candle. It would be a fantastic room scent, but I am unsure about wearing this as a perfume.

I got this in my second BPAL order a while ago (I ordered a 5ml unsniffed...I think mostly based on my love of Through the Looking Glass :P ). When I wore it, like many others, I was surprised at how little lasting power this had. On me it smelled like a lovely pine forest, once the drydown happened and the eucalyptus went to the background. I love the scent, but couldn't justify wearing it as I'd have to reapply every hour or so.

So, Jabberwocky sat on my shelf and was highly neglected for months...until I found it's ultimate use- bath products. I have so far used the Jabberwocky to make a sugar scrub, and it is perfect- very invigorating and lovely in the shower. I think the rest of my 5ml will be devoted to putting it in bath products and craft endeavors in the future.

Not something I would have ordered--I got it as a frimp.

It is VERY potent and aggressive. I get no citrus in this, and the eucalyptus wears off quickly. I'm left with pine, pine, and more pine. This is extremely green and fragrant--reminds me of the Winter Solstice. I think I'll save it as a room scent for that time of year.

Bottle: wow eucalyptus! wow pine! wow my sinuses are clearing!

Wet: I can catch a hint of the orange, now, and it smells really amazing with the pine - not sweet or food-y at all. eucalyptus is assertive like a boor at a party after a few too many badly-made martinis.

Dry: the eucalyptus has stepped back, some,to balance nicely with the pine and orange. fresh, but not aquatic-heachache fresh - this is the scent of tearing madly through a forest, trampling the undergrowth to let loose a terrific olfactory din.

Later: buoyant - yes! Fun!

Jabberwocky - Air freshener much? Holy moly. This smells exactly like those little green pine-tree shaped air freshener things people hang from the rearview mirrors of their car. It’s just nasty. Add to that the nose-clearing almost camphor-like scent of eucalyptus, and you’ve got one pungent scent. I didn’t think I could smell any of the orange in this blend, but once I put my mind to it, I was able to discern the slightest hint of fresh-squeezed orange juice. As the oil dries, the pine and eucalyptus scents begin to dissipate, and while the orange doesn’t get any stronger, I’m able to smell it more easily without the pine/eucalyptus blocking my senses. After about an hour, I can hardly detect the evergreen scents, and there’s just the tiniest hint of sweet orange juice on my skin. It’s much more bearable at this point, although it’s still not a scent I would ever choose to wear for fragrance purposes. I could see burning this in my oil burner at Christmas time to replicate the scent of pine trees and boughs in my home.

This is so fun! :D

It makes a pretty good room scent with the eucalyptus and orange, and the pine behaves itself well, despite what you might think upon first sniff out of the bottle. It does smell a bit Pine Sol-ish initially.

But on, the orange note is amazing. I have a lot of trouble getting orange to stick around, but this is three hours later and I can still get a good, juicy whiff. This is in the crook of my elbow though--on my wrist it's not nearly as strong. I don't know what the deal is with that particular skin-chemistry fluke, but I do find I often amp different notes in different places. Go figure.

Overall, a great pick-me-up scent. :P

Holy Burt's Bees Poison Ivy cream! But in a really good way. It's got that all natural smell to it, clean and spicey like I'm somebody who likes to go outside. (HA!)

I'm glad I got a 5ml of this, based on my love of Alice in Wonderland. I can just imagine how much I'll love this scent for my 8am classes next semester.

In the Imp: Sweet and Piney.

Wet: An odd candy and pine trees scent. This isn't the totally too strong resinous kind of pine either, it's like green pine needles but mixed up with a fruity sugar syrup.

Dry: First there is a phase of "clean" scent to accompany the sugar and pine, it must be the eucalyptus asserting itself. From then on it get progressively cleaner with a touch of sweetness. Very nice.

Throw: Pretty good.

Overall: I honestly didn't expect to like this, but it is actually really good. The pine isn't too strong on me, the eucalyptus lends a fresh clean scent, and the orange is sweet and fruity. None of the individual elements seem to be overwhelming, and of three notes that can become nasal bombs these are the ones! (Sniff an EO of pine or eucalyptus sometimes, that'll clear out your sinuses.) I guess all their raucousness cancelled each other out? Ingenious!

Rating: ++

Edited by Galatea

Pine and eucalyptus - very similar to vapor rub, but then again, I like vapor rub smell, so that's not a criticism.

This isn't something that I would wear every day, but it is very apt for its subject and is something I'll keep an imp about me for medicinal purposes. :P

Freebie in my order from the Lab.

Bottle: Woah! Can we say 'Vick's Vabo Rub'? I like Vick's, but not sure I want to smell like it. But, then, a whiff of orange! Perhaps promise is lurking within...?

Drying: Still very much smacks of Vick's, but I'm getting a bit of a citrusy thing going on here. A very, very background note of pine as well.

Dry: Orange and Eucalyptus introduce their acquaintance, Pine, finally! They all share the stage, though Eucalyptus (no longer Vick's), takes a monolouge every once in a while.

All in all? I really like it for summer-- but it's a bit masculine for my tastes. This would be great on a guy, I think... A clean, wood-chopping... Okay, won't got there. I'll wear it for summer but I don't think I'll buy a bottle. I like it, but it doesn't grab me.

On a side note, though, LOVE the Jabberwocky poem itself... It WAS cool to try out a scent inspired by it.

Very strange...Jabberwocky did nothing on my skin like in the previous reviews. In fact, I barely smelled the eucalyptus and pine. When I first applied it from the imps, it was sweet orange-y pine, and I thought, hmm, I could like this!

Then it mellowed out into a spicy kind of men's scent, like Old Spice Deodorant.

Now, it's just soapy. Strange. I will try it in an oil burner and see if it keeps up the fresh scent if it's not on my evil soap-turning skin.

Mmm, smells like Vicks! I have a wee collection of BPAL that clear my sinuses in a similar manner, and I think I'll be adding Jabberwocky to it. Alas, this hasn't much throw. It is very effective at close range, though.

So bright and head-clearing! Just what you need when you have a cold or feeling washed out in general. This is not a perfume for me, but pure aromatherapy (though all perfume is kind of aromatherapy to me!) Jabberwocky is wonderful to just apply and rub between my hands and inhale, long and deep.

When applied as I would a perfume, to test it, my skin felt very cold and stayed that way, it feels very odd - another reason I think I’d just prefer to rub it between my palms. Eucalyptus is the strongest note by far: jumps up and smacks me in the face. Pine is not far behind. Fifteen minutes later, I’m wondering if I’ve spilt orange juice on myself. I sniff my hand and the orange is definitely coming out, the eucalypt has faded somewhat, but the chilling pine is still there, though softer now, and keeps the orange company as it starts to fade away.

The smell is intersting but it reminds me too much of cough drops with that eucalyptus. Good to smell but not for wearing on my person. Jabberwocky would be very nice in my aromatherapy locket though!!

In the imp, I can pick out all three notes.

On my arm, however, it's all pine. :P

This one is just a little too piney for me to wear as a fragrance, although I agree that it would be good for making bath products. Very invigorating!

I use this for an aromatherapy scent rather than as a perfume, but just putting some on my palms and inhaling works better than caffeine. The pine is real crushed pine needles, the eucalyptus hits your sinuses like a brick, and the orange adds a lovely bright sweetness.

Wow, eucalyptus! And pine! The combo smells so good, like a blue spruce. The orange is barely detectable beyond the trees. I think it's working behind the scenes to warm up the woods.

This is a simple but nice blend. It's really mind clearing and I can imagine this would be great when I feel nauseous or have a headache, because it fills me with a sense of clean air and the outdoors. It's refreshing. I'll definitely hold on to the imp for panacea purposes.

Jabberwocky: smells very strongly of eucalyptus lollies at first, with a touch of citrus.. and I loved it and it stood out from all the above scents on quick sniff... and put some on.. now it has died down to smell very much like a pine toilet cleaner.. I don't think I'd wear it again, but it would be nice for cleaning..

10mins later: the toilet cleaner smell has toned down, and it now smells like a guys aftershave.. not a bad one, but I don't want to smell like this! Its masculine to me..

20mins later: ugh, its back to toilet cleaner.. its nasty.. I will go now and wash it off!

i avoided this one for the pine element for so long, but the lab frimped me some in a recent order. however, i was pleasantly surprised by this! for one thing, it smells much better on my skin than in the imp. it's a sweet sugary pine, not sharp at all, i think the orange rounds it out nicely.