Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The Lovers

Bottle (Imp): Sweet, with citrus.

Just On: Definitely citrus, the sweet sinks into my skin and isn't as obvious. A nice true citrus, not fake.

An hour or two later: There's some citrus left, not much though. It's fading fast.

Around 6 hours: Just a bare little whiff of citrus left now.

12 hours: It's all gone bye bye.

Overall: THis is pretty nice all in all.

After reading other reviews: Boy, the cinnamon never really made an appearance on my skin with this one.

Wet - pine or fir and something sweet.

Dry - The pine fades leaving a sweet yellow scent behind. I smell lemon but I am not sure what else, possibly ginger or even vanilla. I do know I am not getting any cinnamon here at all.

This blend really frustrates me, because I am having a very difficult time figuring out what is in it.

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

In the bottle:

Very strong, kind of floral/herbally smelling, but...not quite at the same time

On me:

I don't get a single bit of cinnamon with this at all. Not a trace. At first there is a sharp herbal spiciness which I think might be what people think is cinnamon, but it quickly disappears. I get a lemony kick too, but it's not like citrus lemon, it's more like lemongrass - it's soft and a little soapy. There's nothing really spectacular about this blend at first, it's not unpleasant, but it's not great either. But I find that the longer I have this on - though it gets fainter and fainter - the more I like it. Eventually it becomes a soft, feminine, and of course - romantic - smelling blend. It makes me think of something Philosophy would make, it just has that kind of vibe to it.

Final note:

I'm torn between wanting a bottle and not wanting a bottle. I'm not sure how often I would wear this, but when this has dried for a while, it's so pretty that I feel like I *should* have a bottle of this. It's funny, but this is not particularly floral, herbal, sweet, or citrusy. It's very hard to decipher!

Rating (on skin): 0/5

Summarised in a word or two: Sagey lemon.

In the imp/bottle: Citrus and florals and.. something that makes me sneeze! This does not bode well.

On skin, wet: Sweet, floral lemon. Some sort of spice as well, though I can't place what. This is turning quite soapy.

On skin, dry: Lemon soap, or a lemon drop. After twenty minutes, there's also something herbal. This really starts to remind me of Aeval after a bit, so perhaps sage? Whatever it is, it turns rancid on me.

Conclusion: A very fresh scent, heavy on the lemon. I am not a lemon fan, so this isn't for me.

Edited by Aredhel

My Impression: Granted that I have not tried so many of the tarot blends.

First off I get Citronella, with cinnamon & something floral in the background.

I think it is lovely and has a duality to it that is interesting. :P

This one starts out kind of herbal and very earthy. Then the second it dried it turned into a weird version of play-doh. Then it got worse. I just washed it off.

-cute rommate review- "um, no I don't really smell play-doh, but it's bad, bad."

One of the scents where I couldn't get past the smell test. Smelt like generic colonge to me and not even the kind that I would like. It certainly is herbal, but in my opinion, there are more herbal scents that are much better. 1/10.

Just got to try this, and was hoping I'd get cinnamon off of it, but alas, I got herbs, lemon (but not bright and clean and juicy lemon), and perhaps some kind of sharp floral in the background. No cinnamon. Kind of astringent. Not a keeper for me. :P

This is one of those oils that immediately makes me think "magickal" as opposed to "perfume".

I get a very bright, clean herbal scent upon application, which only mellows slightly with wear. There's somthing a little warm poking it's head up every now and then, but I can't readily identify it as cinnamom. Which is good, because cinnamon has a tendency of taking over a blend and making me ill.

I can't think why this blend would be associated with The Lovers, but this is exactly the sort of smell I associate with kitchen witchcraft. Not a scent I would wear regularly, but definately something I might put on when Working.

The Lovers

In the imp: mmm…it's orange blossom/neroli. Possibly with some orange fruit/peel mixed in.

Wet on skin: still orange blossom and citrus fruits. Maybe a twinge of something spicy or woody.

Dry on skin: now it develops a herbal note, possibly lavender or rosemary, or perhaps thyme. Maybe some lemon verbena as well. There's a cologne like scent to this. It's fresh and zingy. There may also be something spicy here, warming the blend up. Possibly pepper or cinnamon? it's not obvious though, under the loud orange blossom/herbal scent.

After a while: this eventually dries down to a much more floral scent. Hints of herbs linger, but now the scent is predominantly lily. Lots of lily, with a slight green note.

Verdict: this was very different to what I was expecting from a blend called 'the Lovers'. I was expecting something more floral with a bit of fiery spice, something slightly aphrodisiac smelling. This scent is, actually, very fresh and bright. A cologne like blend, with a strong orange blossom note and herbs, a bit of citrus and maybe a tiny little bit of spice. This then dries down to become a lily scent. It reminds me of Santa Eularia and Calliope. This is a nice scent, but it's not my favourite of the tarot blends.

First sniff: Sweet and gentle with the tiniest hint of sharpness around the edges. It reminds me of herbal tea.

Wearing: Oh, this is beautiful. Honey-sweet, flowing, slightly floral, with a tiny hint of spice underneath.

First on... (the BPAL note guessing game, lol) neroli, ylang ylang, and light cinnamon? I'm not sure. The notes are hard to place. There is a citrus fruitiness and an almost goldeny floral. I'm definitely smelling spicy cinnamon.

In the drydown I am getting green floral and cinnamon. Like a meadow sprinkled with spice. It's very odd, and I wouldn't think that the combination would smell good... but it's quite pretty.

I won't be getting a bottle, but I'll keep my decant around for special moments.

Origin:

The Tarot Series Circle.

First sniff:

Ylang-ylang, maybe? I'm not very good with florals. It's heady and slighty sweet and (unfortunately) headache inducing. :P

Wet on skin:

This is definitely not for me. For a floral hater, this is all wrong. I know other people love florals and that's wonderful, but I'm not a floral girl. The Lovers is all heady, sweet florals and it is strong.

Dry down:

No real change from when it was wet. I think this is ylang-ylang, but I could definitely be wrong. Whatever it is, I really don't like it. Period. Something in here is just grating on me in the worst possible way.

The bottom line:

Far too floral for my tastes. The Tarot Oils just seem not to like me for some reason. :D

This is kind of buttery and floral.. a little soapy as it continues to dry.

I smell a faint whiff of something cinnamon-like, maybe with a splash of something sparkling and fruity. Maybe pear? I think that was the buttery smell in the beginning.

Aww, this is really faint, it's been about an hour and it's already being sucked into my skin. :P Oh well.. it's certainly pretty.

Ok, I get something a bit different than everyone else

On application I immediately smelled eucalyptus, followed by spearmint. There is definitely something mentholy in here because I get that Vick's Vapor Rub nose tingling when I lean in to smell.

As it dried a slight lemoniness comes out. This could still be the eucalyptus. Then I start to get powdery lemony florals with orange peel. If I remember ylang ylang candle smell from my old job, it does sort of smell like that.

I get no cinnamon. I think the spiciness is coming from the menthol and orange.

Very interesting blend. I don't think I need a 10ml of it though.

This oil seems to be different for everyone...but then, so is Love. :P Since I use the Goddess Tarot, I immediately think of the beautiful picture of Venus on my Lovers card.

Ah, this *strongly* reminds me of La Belle Dame sans Merci in its topnotes--green herbal, fresh but with depth. There is some spice in the middle--maybe cinnamon, but I'm not sure. It's soft and fades fairly fast. There's something sharp and sneeze-inducing underneath. I don't think this is something I would wear often, but since I'll be using it for ritual it really doesn't matter. I like that it is gender-neutral, so my Love can wear it too (and he's a Gemini, which is the sign for the card anyway).

Very sweet, and yet slightly anise-y when wet on my wrist. I smell something pale and fruity in here, but the anise is making the overall effect something like an egg biscuit.

Ever had one of those?

This smells like egg biscuit from the supermarket (mine puts too much anise in there)

I smell a bit of cinnamon too, which is adding to the baked goods effect.

As time passes it becomes more cinnamony.

Cinnamon-anise.

I have never seen blends that people perceive as differently as I do the Tarots :P

The Lovers

Mildly sweet at first like some sort of hard candy with a floral edge to it. As it dried down it went to a sort of chemically anise phase. There must be something with my skin chemistry as this was a really odd twist for this to take. After a while of drydown, it is a light sweet scent with a soft slightly creamy edge.

I think YBNB is right on with the lemon verbena and neroli, and I agree there could be lavender or rosemary--there's definitely something camphorous in there.

I think there might be lily and/or sweet pea in this. And perhaps palmarosa. I also pick up something vanilla-like, but it smells to me like sweetgrass or sweet woodruff instead of orchid vanilla. I agree that there is some spice, but what spice I can't tell-- it sort of reminds me of star anise, but yet it doesn't smell strongly of licorice. How mysterious...

Eventually the powdery floral I smelled initially fades into the background (yay), the blend loses the aquatic/perfuminess, and it smells fresh, green, herbal, and sweet. Very much like a nutritive herbal tea. :P

Wow. This really is the magical morphing scent as none of us seem to agree what is or isn't present.

For me, in the bottle, there's something cool and sharp. I thought it was a wood at first, like cedar, but I think it might be juniper? Citrus of some sort too. I always default to "lemon".

Wet, the floral comes forward. With luck, it's not rose. It does soften the bite though but not at all in a bad way, and that's saying something for me, as I'm really not a floral girl. ETA: The more I thought about this, the more I think it might be lily too. It's not at all "girly" to me, though. That sharp edge keeps it away from frill and floof.

It doesn't last though. Ninety minutes and it was gone. It's lovely while it's here, though.

The Lovers is such a light and pretty blend. My take on what might be in here: orange blossom, bergamot, lemon verbena, lavender, and the tiniest smidge of ylang ylang?

It's exceptionally fresh and almost grassy, but at the same time there is a slightly astringent herbal and light, sweet flowers that make this really balanced.

I'll enjoy using up my imp this spring!

In the botle: Citrus, ylang ylang, a touch of cinnamon and maybe some carnation?

First on: Lemon! With some florals in the background, but mostly jsut lemon.

Drydown: THe lemon is barely there, the cinnamon is gone, and I'm left with ylang ylang, carnation, and maybe some jasmine or lotus.

Overall: I thought I rembered more cinnamon in this. It's a lovely blend, but to me it embodies love, when the lovers card was always knows to me as passion in general. Pasion and love are two totally different things, this blend is gorgeous but doesn't seem to fit the card in my interpretation of it.

lovers.jpg

Bergamot, that's what I think I smell as the first note for The Lovers. Light but beautiful, slightly too sophisticated to be mere lemon. I suspect a drop of neroli lurking somewhere in The Lovers, too, with its "orange blossom" lilt and hint of nuptials.

The Lovers dries down as a familiar, little bit of "face cream" smell, very pleasant, and somewhat Warm Spring Day with your Lover. Now I am thinking "neroli and pettigrain". It's a lemon/orange drydown which is clean and contains nothing perverse. It lasts surprisingly long for a delicate blend, and I can see this on a man or a woman equally well.

In the bottle, I smell jasmine, verbena and ... is that mimosa? Floral and pungent with a whiff of vanilla to it, slightly herbal but sweet. On, the jasmine and verbena battle for dominance - both are notes that my skin amplifies and this blend is just utter chaos on me. I let it dry and it settles slightly, to vanilla and verbena - very soapy and powdery at once. The florals rise again as it warms to a jasmine and mimosa over verbena mix that's nice but altogether too strong. It maintains a soapy aspect for several hours before toning down to a powdery floral scent similar to the body puff my grandmother uses. In short, this was gross - not because of the scent, which would have been pleasant if it didn't go so damn soapy on me, but because of the absolute reverse of what I expected this to smell like. I expected something delicate and romantic or heavy and musky... not this strange herbal/floral soap that I ended up with. Alas, no.

Light and floral and a little on the sweet side. Fades to a light floral with a little hint of aquatic somewhere in there.