Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

The Lovers

No description from the Lab:

I am new to trying the Tarot blends and I find the notes to be somewhat herbal and unfamiliar to my nose in this particular blend. I know it has cinnamon in it and an herbal note (no idea what it is). The cinnamon is most noticeable on the initial application, but fades into the background of the herbal smell on the dry down. This wore very light on me and I touched up often, as I tend to love cinnamon. This is somewhat reminscent of Harlot...slightly. I'll be very interested to see the contents of this when the notes are added to the site. I also loved this one. I do think the Tarots take a little time for your nose to adjust, as is the case with the voodoo blends for me. I ended up really liking The Lovers.

Edited by lorajc

This smelled very sweet on me at first, and somewhat fruity but not an immediately identifiable fruit. After drying down it warmed up and the cinnamon-y note became more predominant though the sweetness remained. It was reminding me of something and it took me awhile but I finally placed it, it smells rather like Yankee Candle Spiced Pear, which is one of my favorites.

Tarot-wise I can see this (smell this?) as The Lovers, the different scents complement each other and blend together, while remaining distinct. Since The Lovers is ruled by Gemini, the dual nature makes a lot of sense.

Originally, this card was called just LOVE. And that's actually more apt than "Lovers." Love follows in this sequence of growth and maturity. And, coming after the Emperor, who is about control, it is a radical change in perspective. LOVE is a force that makes you choose and decide for reasons you often can't understand; it makes you surrender control to a higher power. And that is what this card is all about. Finding something or someone who is so much a part of yourself, so perfectly attuned to you and you to them, that you cannot, dare not resist. In interpetation, the card indicates that the querent has come across, or will come across a person, career, challenge or thing that they will fall in love with. They will know instinctively that they must have this, even if it means diverging from their chosen path. No matter the difficulties, without it they will never be complete.

In the bottle: Herbal. Grassy. Green, and incredibly complex. Which is fitting, I would say, for a scent depicting Love. Love is never easy.

Wet: I don't know where that cinnamon came from, but it's quite fitting. When I picture lovers, I picture red hearts, and that brings me to red-hots, and that brings me to connamon. My mind works in strange ways. It's a sweet, light and fresh cinnamon though, not the intence spice of Mars or Wrath, or the peppry hotness of Three Witches.

Wearing: Whatever is in this scent, it's a subtle blending of notes that I probably wouldn't see together, that really work once I put them on. Rather like love, in fact, as it's often the people you would never see together that complement eachother the most.

On me this one starts out with a blast of cinnamon, and then dries down to a more complex and comforting blend. Which I guess is apropos of the phases of a lasting love. It's really nice.

In bottle: Cinnamon and something sweet. Not sweet like sugar, but more of an indistinct fruity-sweet.

On me: Cinnamon is all I can smell when I apply this. As I get used to the cinnamon something else can be found beneath it, but I can't figure out what it is or even describe it. I'm completely mystified by this.

This is a round, pink floral, with something that reminds me of sandalwood making it more grounded; more sturdy. Something about it reminds me of Old Venice . . . something rich and lush. There is a bit of cinnamon here, but it's so anchored to the floral that I hardly even smell it -- it just makes the floral warm, and round.

I really, really love this. :P

Wow. I really like this one, even though i have no idea what's in it. I don't really pick up cinnamon from it, but I would say it's a soft herbal scent.

I don't smell any vanilla in it, but for some reason the scent has a similar "feel" as one of my favorite pre-BPAL scents, Vanilla Lace (by V.Secret)..

So far this is one of the longer lasting scents on me, and it is just so lovely it's almost indescribable. :D

ETA: when i got down to the bottom of the imp, the cinnamon became more apparent..

ADDED May 9:

Okay.. Wow.

I did actually review this before, but I have to come back again..

I got a partial imp of this in one of my first swaps (late oct, early nov 2004) that I absolutely adored, and decided that I had to have a bottle of it at some point. Well, I finally got around to ordering one on 3/15/05. Towards the end of March '05, I got another imp of it as a freebie..

Why I had to come back to review again is this: All three of them smell totally different!

1. The first imp was sweet and creamy and deliscious. :D I suspect that this one might've been aged a fair bit, being that it was less than half full and Tarted.

2. The second imp was very perfumy, kind of floraly (I think), and rather headache inducing. It made me somewhat nervous about the bottle I'd ordered.

3. Today, I got the bottle.. Thankfully, it smells more like the first imp than the second. There's a lot more cinnamon in this one than that Imp (it was only noticable at all in the very bottom of the imp, even though I'd rolled it and everything), but I can definitely see how that one was an aged version of this scent.

Now I kind of wonder if the second Imp was mislabeled. I'll have to give it another wiff, but what I remember was not even remotely similar to the other two versions. I mean.. not even close. (ETA: I just discovered I actually have the imp with me.. It just has to be mislabeled. It's Soooo entirely different. Very sharp.. slightly citrusy, and somewhat floral.)

So glad my initial worship of this scent was not totally misplaced. :P

Honestly, As much as I love, adore, and worship a bunch of other scents, this one may very well be my Signature Scent.

Also must add that The Lovers happens to be my Personality and Soul cards, as well as my Year card for 2005.

Edited by harlequin

I've been wearing this one off and on for a few weeks and love it.

When I first put it on, I smell cinnamon and something unidentifiable and sweet.

As it drys, I smell vanilla and cinnamon, and something else I still can't identify (maybe a light floral?).

Unfortunately, it doesn't last on me at all. :P Guess I'll have to reapply often and buy more!

Hmmm... I don't get any cinnamon. :P

Lemony, sweet, maybe a touch of ginger. It is wonderful, tart, sweet, and a bit spicy. It starts out fresh and lemony. As it dries down, I get a hint of spicy ginger, and it becomes sweeter.

I like this a lot. :D

in the vial it is very sweet fruity...i second guess wearing it

when it hits my skin it is a blast of cinnamon sweetness.

as it dries it does indeed become herbal...i think maybe sweetgrass? i get a hint of amber and of course the yummy cinnamon.

eta the longer i wear this the more it smells like young lovers warming themselves in the sun in a field of tall sweet grasses.

the lovers is one i could truely love!

Edited by shelldoo

A very nice floral. Perhaps ylang ylang? Maybe some neroli? There is an herby scent peeping out now. Maybe some woodiness as well calming the floral down. Altogether nice!

The Lovers, to me, smacks of lemon rind, bergamot, cinnamon, grasses, and something slightly bitter herbal. It's a little shocking to my sinuses and makes my eyes water, but that slowed as the oils dried. It gets more citrussy the longer it's on my skin and a touch of ginger comes up after a while. The initial blast is rather scary, but then it mellows and becomes deeper and more simply subtle.

When I first applied The Lovers, it reminded me of Magdalene (a scent I didn't really care for). Is that mimosa I smell? There is something that smells very cleansing in this blend, a citrus or something herbal. When it dries, it smells more and more like Alice, but maybe with a touch of ginger. I'm not sure how much I like this. It isn't sugary enough for me. I'd recommend this to someone who liked Maiden, but wanted something with a stronger tea-like scent.

As per usual, my chemistry plays up very different notes on this one. (Remember me, I'm the premenopausal one on thyroid meds.)

First of all, I purchased this from a lovely forum member, so I don't exactly know the age of it. I mention that because the "aged" blends tend to work better for me. No jokes, thankyouverymuch. :P

Having said that, I detect absolutely no cinnamon whatsoever in The Lovers. I do smell neroli, a little lavender & some very light mint.

When it dries, I detect a very subtle rose over the neroli and something that reminds me of the color green.

I like Tarot: The Lovers very much and will enjoy it throughout the warmer weather.

first sniff: cinnamon and something fresh.

on: is that mint? yes, definitely cinnamon and mint. then the mint subdues the cinnamon until it's mostly mint and maybe some lemon? then, after a while, a floral note comes out and dominates.

The Lovers ends up as a quite sweet floral scent (gardenia? ylang-ylang? plumeria?) with minty/cinnamon undertones.

I guess I can see cinnamon and mint as the two opposites – warm and cold, red and green – and the drydown as their synthesis. it's interesting. I don't think I could wear it, but I like it as an evocation of the card.

Edited by isyche

I find The Lovers pretty cinnamony but not strongly, overpoweringly so. It's a gentle and sweet scent, and very lovely. Not sure what else lurks within this scent, seems like there could be a floral presence as well as some herbal notes. It doesn't last a very long time on me, but it's worth reapplying and I plan on eventually getting the 10 ml bottle.

at first: this kind of burns my nose. i might smell neroli...or something. i don't know if i'm going to like this.

on: a very strong masculine scent with a sharp bite of citrus, which mellows out to an herbal citrus scent.

half an hour later: this reminds me of the smell of a lush store. sweet, citrussy, floral: a billion things at once. i really like it.

1 hour later: softer, but still a nice mélange.

2 hours later: more perfumey, but still lush-y.

5 hours later: still the same, only a little lighter.

overall: once i use this up, i'll definitely be getting a bottle. this will also be good for when i need a lush fix.

curiouser and curiouser....(can you tell I'm using the Alice in wonderland skin?)

I sometimes wonder if Beth reads our reviews and laughs--I feel so unable to pick out individual notes, except for a few.

And it is so interesting the way these smell so different to us all.

I don't get cinnamon. Not at all.

In fact, the overwhelming smell I get is the green herbal note which I'm convinced is parsley.

Yes, parsley. It smells like that to me, and that's one of the herbal correspondences for this card. I do also get a warm note, but I wouldn't say cinnamon. ginger maybe?

There's something slightly floral in it too, but I can't pick that note out.

Interesting! And I'm so glad it didn't smell anything like I expected!

edited to add:

I mostly tried this ritually--annointing my cards, and also a small love spell. So I didn't really get the later dry down, and now I have, and it is lovely. A creamy floral note that I feel like I should be able to identify but can't quite. Neroli maybe? anyway, its gorgeous.

Edited by cuervosueno

The Lovers

This was a part of the Tarot swap - since I need to review all of them in a very short time, this will be a brief review.

In the vial:

Green! This is a very herbal scent, with a touch of mint or eucalyptus.

On me:

Same as in the vial, but less mint and more herbs. There’s also a hint of something spicy, but I’m inclined to believe that lavender is one of the “herbs” and is lending its spiciness - this isn’t like cinnamon or pepper or Eastern spices. It’s a very cool, herbal scent. Nicer than I’d expect something with mint to be.

In 10 minutes:

It’s quieted down quite a bit - and it has gained in wateriness. It’s now a calm, cool, light floral, with a slight hint of the initial scent. I’d like to see how it develops, but I’m on to the next Tarot oil!

Overall:

Very intriguing. I’d like to give this one more of a try, but overall, it’s generally a little light for me, and I don’t see myself wearing it often.

First sniff from the bottle- Citronella candles?

After 20 minutes- Ok, after reading all the reviews of this I couldn't wait to get my hands on this because almost everyone said it was really cinnamony. Cinnamon is my favorite note, and the idea of smelling like spiced pears had me all excited about this one.

Well...it doesn't smell like cinnamon to me AT ALL. In fact it is not spicy to my nose what so ever. To me this smells like citronella candles and Christmas trees. The Fir tree smell is dominant. There is a hint if mint in this too. So yea, really green Fir trees, citronella candles and mint. If there is anything spicy in this it is fresh ginger, which my nose smells as lemony and not spicy.

Summery- I am not lovin' the Lovers. This one is getting swapped. :P

Looking back over the other reviews, very few of us seem to agree what's in this one! :P I tried this a long time ago and passed it along and my impressions at the time were that it was a very pale yellow-white sort of succulent scent, maybe a little lemony, maybe lotus. One thing is for sure though: I detect absolutely NO cinnamon. As I said in my Hierophant review, I don't care for cinnamon but I tend to amplify it and anything with ANY cinnamon in it and can generally detect it instantly. I get none here. I don't get the burny sensation that it gives me either so I am going to side on the "no cinnamon" side of the Lovers discussion. :D Though now that I am TRYING to sense it I feel my skin warming where I applied the oil.

This blend is coming across as a sort of watery lemon-yellow floral on me and I am afraid I don't care for it very much. There could be some lavender in here, I think I can see that...and the lemony smell could be ginger, because ginger always impresses me as a high-pitched dry lemon scent. Ah, could be bergamot, too, that's another that likes to disguise itself in a lemon suit and run around. Otherwise it's very indistinct to me, just a sort of floating slightly herbal slightly citrus scent with something vaguely floral that tends not to agree with me (lotus?). I've never felt much connection with the Lovers card, so I'm quite content to sample it as a curiosity and move to the next...

~The Lovers~

In the bottle

gorgeous green fruitiness

On

So soft and beautiful.

This reminds me of Eos. Like if Eos and O or Eos and Alice had offspring, this is what it would smell like. There's apple, and cinnamon (lightly though) and honey, and a milky/creamy note.

30 minutes

This has better than average staying power by the way.

It turns more creamy/foody and a bit more spicy (cinnamon) as well but it's still glorious.

Throw:

average

Scent category:

Fruity/foody

Summary

If you like foody, but not too foody, this is your blend. It's a summery, light, fruity, soft foody greenish floral. (That's alot of categories)

It's absolutely gorgeous.

Purchase again?

Yes!, the biggest bottle I can.

1-5 rating (5 being best)

Edited by UltraViolet

I thought that I had already reviewed The Lovers, but obviously I haven't.... Since I no longer have the imp, this will be a short review. My skin loves to amplify cinnamon, and the end result was cinnamon soap - I would guess that The Lovers also contained lily, which is instant soap on me. So I come down on the "contains cinnamon" side, though my imp was tarted and who knows how old it was.

This is a very clean, green smell to me. I think I can detect some of the mintiness that was in The Star. There's also a creamy quality here, sort of like lotus, but not as thick. It is vaguely soapy to me, so maybe there's lily.

This is watery and slightly sweet. Now the mint has disappeared, but I'm also getting a bit of dryer sheets, so maybe there's white musk here. Yeah, I think so. It smells similar to Zephyr in that aspect.

Now some herbal spiciness is coming out. This is like a combination of Zephyr and Silk Road.

I'm glad I was able to try an imp of this, but it'll go off to swaps so that I can sample more tarot blends.

Words fail me - I have no idea what this smells like but I >must< have more. I'd say cinnamon pear alongwith whatever makes chaste moon creamy, plus a touch of the vanilla musk from O. It is gorgeous and goes straight to my wishlist. Wow.