Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Hymn to Proserpine

The darkening amber of faith’s sunset, deepened by the dark fruits of Proserpine.

in the imp: a hint of amber and lots of fresh, ripe fruits. :D

wet on skin: something akin to sandalwood is showing itself, making this blend more complex and alluring. :P

dry down: light throw, with a war/wood scent that reminds me of Tombstone.

in all: a lovely, warm 'skin' scent, another that i imagine i'd wear a lot if i lived in a desert climate.

:D

In The Bottle

Dark fruit and herbs

On Application

Yes...pomegranate and musky amber

Dry Down

This is quite tart under the amber powdery sweetness. Dries down to a slightly fuity, incensey and powdery scent.

Rating (0-5)

This was a kindly given frimp from a sweet forumite. I get a mishmash of alllllll of the listed notes initially...This is so well blended that I can't pick out the individual elements.

Early on my skin it is sweet and dark: The fruits are ripe and on the cusp of overripeness and perfection. There is fig, pomegranate, and a heady dark note that I later recognize as Sandalwood. The drydown is gorgeous, and for a couple of hours I could not shake that deja vu sense of "where have I smelled this before?"

Then I relaize that it is closely resembles a perfume I adored as a pre-adolescent called "Les Fleurs". I don't think it was a particularly "high end" fragrance (I grew up in a small town with one Walgreens - and that's where I bought Les Fleurs). I have tried to find it online since then, but I don't think it's available anymore.

So, the verdict is that Hymn to Proserpine is highly evocative enough for me to hunt down a big bottle. I was drawn to the name every time I visit the Lab's page, but never knew why. Now I do - Thanks Amber :P - and really, Thanks Beth! So glad this is GC...

Wear length = Long - - - - Throw = 10a.m. shadow-ish (perfect) :D

Edited by Indig0

In the imp it is a wonderful amber with a juicy red edge.

On my skin the amber remains about the same but the pomegranate rounds out to its full glory.

Sadly as it dries I only smell a slightly fruit sweetened amber. It reminds me of the sort of thing I would have picked pre-BPAL. I would have liked more complexity. I had hoped that some of the flowers from the poem would make appearances as unlisted notes but this is a very straightforward blend.

In imp: Very dark and sweet, like fruit with honey. Doesn't seem that interesting in the imp.

Wet: Incense and resin over sweet fruit. The incense note reminds me of myrrh--bitter and dark, but amazing. It might just be the dark amber.

Dry: The bitter edge has gone and it's now a lovely dark velvety scent. The fruits in this are ripe and honeyed and so comforting, like a warm fruit compote. The resin gives it depth. This is dark and womanly and gorgeous. Drydown is typical amber, sweet and powdery.

Overall: Love this. Reminds me of Mme. Moriarty, but with less of the sexxeh. The fruit notes are probably quite similar. Would be a great autumn scent. I think this is going in my top ten.

Edited by trollgirl

This was little more then a dirty musk on me, which broke my heart when I was reading what others had experienced with it. I kept hoping that it would change but it never did :/

Oh well maybe next time

In the imp and first on my skin, Hymn to Proserpine is bright red fruits. Pomegranate, cranberries? Something tart but sweet.

As it dries, it becomes darker (fitting, right?), with more depth. Definitely pomegranate. Or plums? I don't know, something that screams LUSCIOUS RED FRUIT HEEYAH but I am crap at picking those out.

Anyway, this development would be most excellent if only the amber did not come out to play. It's not a BAD amber, don't get me wrong -- it's sort of a perfume-y scent that goes well with the fruits. But I don't like amber.

Overall it smells good, actually: I usually turn amber to powder but this one is behaving for the most part. It has an edge to it that whispers "when you least expect it... bam, powder" but it's not making good on the threat, instead staying nice and pretty and docile. It's still not enough to get me over my amber bias, though.

Oh hai, Juicy Fruit!

Wow! Not what I was expecting AT ALL! I love the oozy amber I'm getting, but then after that I've got delicious gum-fruits and a hint of powder. Now, that doesn't mean I dislike it!

Strangely, I really, really like it! A LOT. Has my nose turned to the sweeter side of life??!

As it dries, the Juicy Fruit fades away to a powdery amber with ripe fruit notes underneath. Not sure if it's bottle-worthy, but the imp will go to good use!

4/5

I got this as a frimp and I didn't even see it in the package at first. In the imp, it was something yummy and spicy like an autumn scented candle. On my skin it is lovely, but not as fruity as most people get. My skin tends to eat fruits I think. It reminds me a lot of Inez, but instead of a nutty vanilla blend with the amber and musk, this one has a holiday spice scent. It has an undercurrent similar to Yankee Candle's Hollyberry which I love, but less sharp. I think the sandalwood is keeping it more creamy. My only complain is that it fades pretty quickly. I will have to slather next time :P I may keep the imp until it gets cooler since it's more of a Halloween to Christmas scent to me. It's a little heavy for 100+ degree temps.

i wore this one a long time ago and got lots of compliments. gorgeous, resinous amber sweetened by tart, juicy fruit. the dry-down is spectacular.

This is a new imp I got and, after reading the description, I was really curious to try it.

In the imp: the first sniff is very sweet and fruity, with something dark lurking behind. I guess it's the amber.

Wet: the amber is really recognizable now but there's something more powedery, like orrisroot, that comes up and makes it become more complex and less fruity.

Dry: amber is sweetened by a new vanilla-ish note; the powder is gone - now it's only a sweet amber.

It's a loveley scent, very "adult", but unfortunately, my skin (as always) makes it disappear after 1 hour!!!

I also think that the name is quite appropriate: you have the fruits and the darkness, the neverending circle of nature.

I thought this was beautiful. It didn't morph very much. It went on sweet red fruit and stayed sweet red fruit. For a while. The boyfriend loved it. It's on the bottle shortlist.

In the bottle: Warm amber and berries/pomegranate without either overpowering the other.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, really. The fruit smell is definitely more on the wine side than the fruit punch Shango turned into on me.

Dry: (A little smokey) pomegranate wine.

Verdict: Love it. :P Barely changes from bottle to dry, but it doesn't matter as it's sensual and lovely and a little dark. Perfect interpretation of the poem. So getting more.

5/5

Edited by gnl

Imp: amber…but has an older scent about it.

Wet on Me: more amber now…a touch fruity in the very far background

Drying Down: Spicy amber now. But not sharp…mellow and aged.

Dry: still a spicy mellow amber to me. I love this. Keeping the imp!

Liquid amber, not the powdery type, kissed by the fruits that disappear quickly, my imp is too fresh I guess.

After amber and amber, like a golden river flowing around your arms, with a sweet touch like honey water. It`s a trip evocative of images more than a perfume.

In bottle: Very fruity, with amber turning it overtly sexy. Wet: The fruit is stronger and less artificial smelling, strong and rich and ripe. I suspect lots of berries. Not my thing, but would be cool on the right woman. Dry: Mostly sandalwood.

I was so excited to order this. Amber, check. Dark fruits, check. I loves me some fruit and amber. This blend seemed like it would be simple, rich and long-lasting.

In the imp: Deeply fruity--I got more of a currant feeling than a berry one. The amber stayed in the background, grounding and deepening the fruit.

Wet on skin: Glorious fruit for about two minutes, then hairspray. :P

Dry on skin: I left it on for nearly an entire workday. It was long-lasting alright, but smelled like hairspray the entire time.

I have tried this twice now with the same result, and need to accept that it will be a scent locket blend for me. Something in this oil hates my skin. And it's so delicious in the bottle...my first BPAL heartbreak!

Imp: creamy vanilla amber.

Wet: Amber witha creamy sweetness, vanillic, but also some citrus and maybe even fig or banana flitting around in the back.

Dry: Sweet, dark, kinda creammy amber, but the fruits seem decidedly tropical to my nose--banan/mango/fig? Later on, I decide its mango-y. The feel of the blend reminds me of manila. The late dry is light tropical fruits with a warm, musky vanillic amber, and a little bit of woodsiness. Great throw.

Overall: Very nice blend, though I don't see it making it into my regular rotation.

Another lucky frimp I was planning on ordering. :P

Hymn to Proserpine is as delicious as I hoped for. My love affair with amber is definitely growing as I try more blends. This scent is very rich and voluptuous and temperate. Green and gold. It's a proud, distant sort of green scent-- very natural, but in no way humble. Sensual/sexy but a little intimidating. There's a little bite of something dry and powdery/peppery. Sometimes from far away (just catching a bit of it on myself without actually sniffing my wrist) it's a little spicy in a way that reminds me of Bengal.

This has some stamina. I applied it early in the evening and was still catching whiffs of it when I woke up the next morning. Just very faint, but there are very few oils that seem to have that power.

How is it that I don't get any fruit from this? Wet there was a little bit of sweetness, but dry this is just super smokey and almost - dare I say - peppery? I like pepper in combination with lighter fruitier blends to add a bit of attitude, but I'm not feeling the smoked pepper.

The longer it dries the more I get pepper. It actually reminds me a lot of Anne Bonny on me, which smelled like mashed potatoes and peppery gravy! :P

To the swap box for this one I think.

This is fruit, but a dark, sophisticated fruit. It's lovely and sweet on me, not sickly and not perfumey. I'm so pleased! I think this is going to be my new fave in the 'girly' category :-)

Imp - Sweet, but darker than I expected.. reminds me of the perfume "obsession".. uh-oh :P

Wet - Spicier than in the imp, but the same basic scent impression..

Drying (5 mins) - spicy and ambery/musk.. not nearly as obsession-like, but far to close for my liking.

Dry (30 mins) - A warm, spicy musk, sweet but not terribly so. Pleasant, but not for me.

If it weren't for the fact that it reminds me of obsession (mens and womens versions), which reminds me (quite unpleasantly) of my ex-husband :D, I would really like this scent.

It is a truly lovely blending of rich, dark amber, and wonderfully spiced fruit, perfect for fall, IMHO.. I also think it would blend beautifully with one of Beth's rose oils. It has a gently lingering character, and lays close to my skin.

Unfortunatly, the scent associations overpower this lovely oil for me.. off to swaps, I'm afraid.

ETA: Layered this with Two, Five, Seven about an hour after applying.. and it is *wonderful*! The rose changes the scent enough to avoid all unpleasant connotations, and the Hymn adds depth and richness to the rose.. it becomes a beautifully rich, musky rose, with a hint of fruit and spice. I will keep Hymn for the time being, and see what DH thinks of my layering combo :D

Edited by pervs-toy

ooh, diggin' this frimp! thanx lab.

on me, this is a slightly darker, unspicy hermia (when it's dried and mellowed on my skin); it also turns out to be what i'd imagined florence would smell like (but florence on me turns weird and grittty). i get a little whiff of apple when i first apply it. other than that, berries and pomegranate and delicious amber. sophisticated yet young at the same time. yummeh! owing to the similarity to my beloved hermia, i'm not sure i need a bottle, but it's very nice, and if the pepper in hermia is a deal-breaker for anyone, this is definitely one to try instead.

Wet I get a fake-fruit candy smell; on the drydown it mellows a bit. It's warm, sort of powdery...I get vanilla, strangely enough. Light and gentle, but not really my thing.

This one on me is a creamy vanilla amber with a touch of pomegranate juice. The amber goes powdery, so it's a no go for me. It's darker than I expected.