Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Belladonnastrap

Hymn to Proserpine

The darkening amber of faith’s sunset, deepened by the dark fruits of Proserpine.

As far as first reviews go, I'm glad mine is for this one. I had just as much mental reaction to this as I did olfactory.

In Bottle: Much sweeter than I anticipated, almost honey with a strong undercurrent of musk.

On Skin: This ended up being a bit of an accident, my other imps opened much easier. This one was a bit tough and suprised me by popping open and splashing a bit. It was like I had been dropped nose first into a temple, strangely enough. Like silk and honey and smooth sun-warmed skin moving through incense. The amber musk was a bit overwhelming but settles slowly into a the sugary honey pomegranate.

Wet: The musk scents became almost non-existant, leaving only a sweet sugary scent that smells almost like a pomegranate honey scrub.

Drydown: As the water dries the amber slowly building blocks itself to become more apparent.

After Time: Eventually, I suppose because of my skin chemistry, the amber tends to be the most obvious scent. The pomegranete takes a backseat, only becoming apparent as you get closer to the skin, literally nose to it.

Final Verdict: If I did start wearing it regularly it'd have to be in very VERY small quantities as it overwhelms quite easily. It seems too strong to be a day-to-day scent but for a special occasion where you're going to spend a lot of time in low lighting where lust is a big factor it'd be perfect.

In the imp I get a lot of amber with some overripe fruit on top. I don't know what "darkening" amber is supposed to smell like, but it doesn't seem dark to me - it's the amber I loved when I got my very first order from the lab. It smells like the amber in Macchu Picchu, but instead of being just a hint of amber, it's amber. It's lovely. The fruits develop into pomegranite, and maybe a bit of apple and grape, and plum that seems to burn off pretty fast. As the amber grows stronger, so does an interesting spice scent that comes out of nowhere. It's a subdued spice, but still all I can smell in the throw for the first few hours of wear. It's only when I get up close to my skin that I can smell the fruit and amber. It's not unpleasant, but not what I was hoping for. I really like the wet fruity scent better.

I was so expecting to love this one, but it sadly just didn't work on me. Amber and I normally get along wonderfully, but this scent just goes soapy on me. At one point I get a hint of fruit (in specific, I get currant) peeking out, but it doesn't last, and it dies back down to soap.

In bottle: spicy floral

Wet: Musky amber floral

Dry: musky amber floral with occasional bits of pomegranate peeking through. Dry and slightly powerdy despite the fruit. Strong throw.

a little nose-tickling but a quick rinse gets rid of the problem without getting rid of the oil.

frankincense comes out at about hour two and by hour four it's all incense, musk and amber. Very nice for days when I feel like being mysterious and serious.

Later: frankincense-like note comes out at about hour two and by hour four it's all frankincense, musk and amber. Still going 12 hours later.

Summary: Very nice for days when I feel like being mysterious and serious (it matched the mood of my burgundy cut velvet tunic). I may have to get a big bottle – so far it’s one of the better spicy scents on me.

In the bottle: A very ambery blend, sickly sweet and a bit fruity.

Wet: Amber and fruit... I can't tell which, perhaps plum and peach? It's familiar but I can't place it. There's also something vanillaish about it.

Drydown: It's a strange scent, there's something dark and woody in there, slightly bitter and a bit tart, but I still don't know what fruit it represents. Actually it smells a bit like burnt sugar, and I wonder if that's a sugar note that went wrong on me. The amber provides a slightly powdery base, and there's a certain spice note in there. It doesn't really smell fruity, the fruit is suggested, rather.

Overall: I'm not a fan of this, there's a bitter biting note that I dislike, and the burnt sugar doesn't do much to help. It reminds me of a commercial perfume, though I wouldn't know which one. This is far from fruity on me, it's more dark amber and burnt sugar. Off to swaps.

Love love LOVE this scent.

Hmmm, that's not a very helpful review, is it? Let me try again. There's a rich fruitiness, a kind of nice ruby color, that's sweet without being sickly or foody, softened by the lovely golden powderiness of amber. The amber keeps the fruit from being over the top, and the fruit makes the amber lovely and juicy. These are lovely dark autumnal fruits, rather than the light and bouncy tropical kind.

(Of course, it turns out that I love these rich red fruity scents - I recently discovered I adore the Hanging Gardens, too.)

It doesn't morph very much on me, and lasts really well, too.

Yummmmm.... :P

This is such a powerfully, headily sexy scent on me. It's almost overwhelming up close, but has a golden, musky sexiness that wafts up to nose as I move around. It reminds me of the afterglow that I would get from Coco Chanel when I used to wear that. There is some juiciness, but not much - it's all golden and humid and.... SEX to me.

I absolutely adore Hymn to Proserpine. I'm not usually an amber lover, but in this on me it is divine!

In the vial: Creamy red musk with black florals (very different from other reviews here)

Wet: Like Vice (candy) with florals.

Dry: So far, too perfume-like. Why do I always want perfume NOT to smell like perfume?

Later: Whoa, mint coming through.

Weakens to clay.

I wish I got what others got. :P

HtP stayed remarkably the same from the imp to my skin so I'll skip the "in the imp" part of the review.

I love the concept of this perfume, but it doesn't work for me at all. There is a tart fruity element, which to me, smells a little too sweet like fruit that's gone rotten. Also, the amber (which is always hit or miss) goes powdery on me. It's just too much.

Verdict: Rotten fruit and baby powder. :P Off to the swaps.

Pomegrante mixed with amber, and the pomegrante overpowers the amber. I was really hoping the amber would be the dominant note, but, oh well. Foody scents appear to not like me.

I'd been curious about this one for a while, so when I ended up with an imp, I was pleased.

In the imp, it's sweet bubblegummy fruit, with something sharp lurking behind it. Hm. Not so bad. I think I like it.

On me, though... that's a whole other story. I'm so glad someone else got the licorice vibe I did! Although upon further reflecting, I think it's more like anise. I was reminded strongly of some candy, with the fruity herbal note behind it, but I couldn't place what. Red licorice is too sweet.. maybe it's sort of like good n plenty. Any fruit is a muddle mess, and the sandalwood is amping. Usually I love sandalwood on me, and as it dries it softens some, so it does remind me, a bit, of a fruity Morocco.

But there's something sharp and alcoholic in there still, probably the pomegranate, which tends to turn to cough syrup on me.

Off for the swap pile!

I got Hades and Hymn to Proserpine in the same imp package from ebay, so I put this on my other wrist after trying her husband.

In the imp, it was VERY fruity with almost a rubbery, new-baby-doll kind of smell, and I was sure I would hate it. On my skin, though, it cleared to just the notes of pomegranate, honey, and amber. The pomegranate went away almost entirely after it dried, leaving a dry resinous scent that was nevertheless warmer and sweeter than the dry Hades on my other wrist.

It's a warm, sexy scent and I'll be keeping the imp, but I don't know if it's quite me.

In the imp: tart and fruity, almost like cranberry. No amber present.

Wet on the skin: still predominantly fruity, a little sweeter. Slightly spicy now.

On drydown: Finally the amber comes out. I'm a sucker for a good amber scent. This may be too sweet though. On me, amber + pomegranate = cloyingly sweet with a slight spicy note.

Unfortunately, Proserpine and I are not to be friends. :P

I, for one, do not get any fruit. I get a musk amber that somehow has a very dark and sensual feeling. Very mature. I think this is a beautiful, sexy scent but one I can't wear often. Keeping the imp. (I adore amber, just bought a bottle of Brisingamen yesterday, but this has something added that I can't place..."darkening" indeed!)

Dusty, gilded amber with cool, crushed fruit. This is less damp and less sweet than you are thinking, I can tell you that right away. It's a rather dry, rather soft scent that is more powdery than sweet. The fruit here isn't sugary, isn't overpowering. It's delicate and understated.

Even once I apply it, it doesn't become a moist scent. This is very dry. Fig and pomegranate and rich, powdered amber mingle for a scent that is rich and sonorous, but very dry. It's an incense blend, an earthy, smooth incense. Sandalwood comes out later in the mix, a smell like sweet wood shavings curling on a fire. The throw is sugared fig and amber.

This is a quiet, contemplative scent, mournful and sensual. The cradling breast that gives ease and rest, comfort that is yet somehow cold. The scent of loss, of an empty space full of the scent of rare incense.

I had not read Swinburne's poem until after I wrote the review, but this is a perfect scent for it.

Ultimately, it is too powdery for me, but I think if you like powdery, delicate scents, this will be a complete hit.

In imp: Deep, dark red fruit.

Wet: Deep fruit quickly surrounded by golden amber.

Drying: The more the amber and sweet creamy sandalwood come forward, the more this scent becomes not just classy but oddly comforting -- which is all out of tune with the poem, but then Malediction reminds me of summer Grateful Dead tour, so what do I know? A great blend: nicely complex, really long-lasting but not so strong that you knock over the person next to you, and mature but not perfumey. The notes are balanced with style here.

This is really pleasant. And for me...it's a whole new take on Amber..

The Amber in here is so different to the Amber in Blood Amber or The Lion. It just shows it can change it's spots if need be!!!

This is a lovely, soft fruity, sweet amber but there's something else there too that's very nice. Wish I knew what it was.

It kind of reminds me of a note that is in "Dune" the commercial perfume...not entirely, but the note that I cannot put my finger on (not the amber or fruits). Whatever it is it's very pleasant anyway.

It's fresh and fruity and feminine (didn't stop me wearing it though hehe)

it is a very feminine amber! got this as a frimp and I'm in love. :P

edit:

now in october, I wear this one more than anything else. it's my absolute favorite. it's amber and pomegranate, straigtht up. I love it.

Edited by La Soldier

In the imp, sweet and fruity, though it doesn't smell like pomegranates, as I expected.

Wet, the amber makes itself known immediately, overwhelming the fruitiness (which still doesn't smell like pomegranates, wtf?). For a few minutes it's warm and sweet and spicy, and I quite like it, and then it dries....and turns right to powder.

The hell? I love amber, and it loves me! It never ever goes powdery on me! Come on, don't be that way, baby.

::sniffs:: Dammit. Powder.

Completely delicious. Golden amber, incense, and dark fruit that doesn't smell sweet or juicy at all. This is actually somewhat of a warm, dry scent.

This is EXACTLY like an incense I used to have - it's got the powdery-crumbly smell, and then the bright fruit they scented the incense with. Need to road-test to determine whether I like it enough to keep, but I'm just really startled and pleased by the similarity. Most incense scents tend to go heavy and strange on me, so I'm pleased by the very true 'incense' quality here.

got this as a frimp from the lab and it's a surprise hit with my skin chemistry. i saw "dark fruits" and immediately assumed it wouldnt work, as mostly fruity scents dont work on me. however, this one is gorgeous! the fruit isnt sweet or cloying. i get amber with subtle fruits and a warm almost vanilla-scent. this is so warm and pretty and not foody on my skin at all. i may have to get a bottle of this one!

Initial impression:

Mmm, dark and glorious! A very ”juicy” scent.

First on:

The amber is dominant in its wet state, with juicy fruits in the background.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it has a great throw, and the scent has gone a bit more powedery yet balanced. Actually, it smells very much like unlit incense sticks right now.

20-30 mins after application, it's still towards the incense-like end of the spectrum, but I like it. Dark, soft and absolutely glorious!

Finally:

Keeper – I haven't got a clue what to use it for, but I love it.