Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Clockwork

Monster Bait: Underpants

Who doesn't want a monster in their pants? Sexy sugar-smeared saffron sandalwood over lickable vanilla cream with a splash of butter rum.

I'm so disappointed I could cry. :P This really does smell like underpants on me.

I want the butter rum and the vanilla cream and sandlewood. But something's getting in the way and I think it's the saffron? Wah! Here's hoping it's just a problem in this combination.

It's off to the swap pile with this imp.

In the vial: this is a wonderfully smooth sandalwood, and so sweet.

On the skin: I think this smells better w/a bit of age on it. Don't get me wrong, I liked it fresh, but after a few months I really like it. I think it helps the ingredients marry together. This is a beautiful sandalwood scent. The saffron makes it different from other sandalwoods. It's sweet and smells edible.

Conclusion: this is a gorgeous scent - I enjoy it a lot but it's not my holy grail of scents. Saffron and I don't always get along; I'm glad that in this case it's a tempered by the sandalwood and other elements.

I get more of a coconut tinge than a vanilla one...sort of a pretty suntan lotion that smells like food? The vanilla is coming out a bit more and I definitely smell the sandalwood in the base. Not really getting the booze here.

I can't tell the difference between this and Velvet on me, oddly enough. They both have that same cocoa/sandalwood thing that goes just a little bit sour on my skin. Nice, but I'm sticking with Closet as my monster bait of choice!

imp: foody, spicy (saffron?) and sweet. A little buttery as well.

wet: more saffron, but it doesn't smell like real saffron or even much like the saffron in Scherezade smells. It also smells a little dirty, and I can't decide if that is a good or a bad thing.

Dry: Very interesting and complex, but it only elicits a slightly above average rating (rather than the AMAZING rating I had expected) from me and from my hubby and from the perfume peanut gallery here at work. Since it is so hard to come by, I think I wll pass on it.

Did anyone ever have the vanilla lipsmackers, the sparkly gloss kind, when they were a kid? That's exactly what this reminds me off. Gloriously sweet and sticky and vanillay. Not something I'll ever wear, but it amuses me.

Scent: Monster Bait - Underpants

Bottle: My first whiff of this said: "Food." A very sugary, slightly burnt-on-the-bottom vanilla cookie. With the second whiff, I tried to find more, but I couldn't smell anything beyond "OMG COOKIE!" Not that I'm complaining, mind you.

Wet: A little more burnt to the cookie when I put it on. And an amber or musk or something lurking underneath.

After a While: After about 45 minutes, this turned into cotton candy. Not bad, but still really sweet and slightly crispy/burnt.

Before It's Dead: If I press my nose to my wrist, here at noon (I put them on around 9:30 AM) I get this lovely little whiff of vanilla. Somehow, this scent isn't the sexy sort of scent I expected from a.) the name and b.) some other people's reactions, but when Morti caught a whiff of my wrist, he did grab and inhale for a minute or two. Maybe I just associate vanilla and cotton candy with more whimsical times than sexy times.

The name alone makes you want to try it.

And it is wonderful!

Warm, creamy, and the Vanilla is definitely not your regular Vanilla scent, nooooo, it's the GOOD stuff. It has depths of scent, almost can taste it, then the sugar, like Creme Brulee, I can hardly smell anything resembling Sandalwood,

and the Saffron is just a hint, but the Butter Rum has started to come into play.

O.K., 3 hours later, not a bit of scent lost, and still rich and lickable...

If only it could taste like it smells.......

:P

First sniff: And once again I’m transported to Foody Heaven. It’s a Sugar Skull sort of sugar, a fantastic golden warmth and a wee bit of incense.

Wearing: Astonishingly, I don’t love it on my skin at first. The wood is quite prominent (resists underpants joke) and it’s very very rummy. It calms down as it dries, and it’s quite pleasant sweet wood at the end.

Thank you to Valentina for providing me with my Underpants :D

Out of the bottle this a soft, sweet, sugary vanilla. It reminds me of cookie dough, or something along those lines.

On my skin, wet now I can smell the sandalwood. It's making the vanilla smell a little more "grown-up". I'm not getting any butter rum or saffron...this is purely a vanilla/sandalwood blend on me.

As this dries the vanilla fades even more and just sort of sweetens up the sandalwood. This reminds me of some Fred Solls incense that I have, it's absolutely gorgeous! I could wear this every day and never get sick of it.

The final dry down smells very similar to the Lick Me dry down, but with a hint of warm resin.

I'm absolutely in love with the Underpants :P I wish I could get more of this!

Out of all the Monster baits, this is probably the most grown-up smelling one. It starts out sweet, but on my skin smells really mature and sexy.

Another win for The Lab! :D

Edited by CourtneyLynne

In the bottle:Creamy sandalwood.

Wet:Becomes more sweet but is similar to the smell in the bottle.

Dry:Spicy vanilla.Alittle plasticy.

I was so excited to get my hands on a bottle of this but it was quite dissapointing.Nothing special,really.My least favourite of the MonsterBaits.

I received a decant from a swap with a lovely Forumite :P

In the vial: sweet vanilla and rum.

Wet: rum and vanilla. Still quite sweet.

Dry: Oh, I have done the unthinkable and fallen in love with a hard-to-find LE. After this oil dries down it becomes warm, spicy vanilla. :D

this is lovely :P it starts out a warm vanilla and dries down to vanilla-sandalwood with saffron; I don't get so much of the rum, though. It was nice to try it, and I'll keep my imp; but the drydown of Lick It Again smells basically the same only it's cool while Underpants is warm. Close enough that I don't care to go hunting all over hell's half-acre for a bottle of Undies.

RATING: Three and a half stars -- nice, solid, lovely, but not an OMGneedmore.

Oh, this is a lovely scent! Foody, warm, sweet, and very pretty! I'm not sure if I want to eat myself or just sniff myself endlessly. Very yummilicious :P

It smells lovely in the bottle- sweet and sugary and pastry-like. The sandalwood grounds it, and there's the tinge of the connecting note between all the monster bait scents. Once on my skin, however, the vanilla plays nice with the sandalwood and it all seems fairly innocuous for a while, until suddenly the sandalwood sours (sours! I've never had it sour before, but there's no other word to explain it!) and everything takes on this sharp, dusty and brittle scent. It is not my holy grail scent, and I'm pretty glad for that.

On first sniff, this is cool vanilla with a dash of smokiness. Yum! There is a creamy undertone, and the sandalwood emerges to add a unexpected spicy note. After a while, it almost morphs to cigarette smoke, but not quite. It's definitely a sensual scent, but it doesn't quite work on me.

Rum! I want rum! Cue the pirate in me, arr!

In the vial - So. Sweet. And very boozey. It's crazy sweet, though. CRAZY.

Wet - Ah, there's some sandalwood in here. I like that.

Drying - Is there anise in this? I'm getting almost a Twizzler smell. Maybe it's the rum added to the sandalwood??? It's interesting and odd. Of course, the sugar might be doing strange things with my skin. Stupid skin...

Dry (1 hour) - The rum is gone, gone, gone, but so are the Twizzlers. What's left is the sourness of the butter note and the plastic of the sugar note. Eh. Normal skin.

Overall - This is so wrong for my skin. Too bad, too. I love my booze...

In the vial:

boozey sandalwood

On me:

This goes on strongly of sandalwood with a sugary backdrop that makes me think of sugar cookies.

As it dries down, the sandalwood softens considerably and becomes creamier. Aside from the initial blast in the wet stage and what it smells like in the vial, I don't get much rum in this. The sweetness is very toned down and soft - so whereas this is a sweet blend, it does not come off as being "dessert-y".

This is rather sexy in my opinion - softly sweet with that depth and woodiness that only sandalwood really provides. It works well together and I haven't yet tried a BPAL blend that smells like it.

Final note:

I want so much to say I don't care for this one, but I really do. Most of Beth's sandalwood blends end up with the sandalwood in the background on my skin. This is the first BPAL blend that I've tried where the sandalwood is truly front and center on me and I love it for that. It's a very soft blend though, it doesn't have a lot of throw on me unfortunately so I imagine I'll be using my 1/3rd imp rather quickly!

I finally got my hands on a little bit of this, and couldn't wait to try it!

In the bottle: sweet, buttery rum. Oooooh, I love the booze note! It's so sweet and delicious!

On my skin, it quickly turns into buttery cake a la Haloa, but without the wine and with the spiciness of sandalwood underneath it. Unfortunately, my skin both eats the scent while amping the sandalwood like whoa. When I press my nose to my wrist, I smell like a sweet, smoky pencil. :P

These 'pants will be traveling to a more loving home.

Very foody, this smells just like cake! I can pick out all the listed notes, though the sandalwood's just a hint, and it doesn't really morph at all as it dries.

In the vial, I get something sweet but kind of fruity? WTF? Not what I was expecting, but hey. Anyway, a splotch on the wrist and HELLO, SANDALWOOD. For the first 10 minutes, I smell like a brand new #2 pencil. This is interesting, but not love. I can get cedar-chip smell from Cathedral, if that's what I want. Hrm. Ten minutes later, though? Love. I smell slightly sweet vanilla and sandalwood floating near my skin, maybe saffron, too, but I wouldn't know that note if it bit me. But this -- it's. . . well. . . it's sex-in-a-bottle. It's not foody on me at all. It's just made of awesome and full of win.

I hope I never meet a man as sexy as this scent, because if I do I will abandon all my hopes and dreams and follow him to the ends of the earth. :P

Now for a useful review. :D

Wet, this is sweet, rich and creamy, a bit like hellcat but it doesn't beat you over the head with rum. The saffron makes it smell exotic. As it dries, the sweetness fades somewhat, and the sandalwood comes out, but doesn't take over too much- it just blends in perfectly. I'm not usually a wood fan, but this is just perfect.

Even though I love vanilla cream and had a feeling I would like this, all the hype I've been reading somehow convinced me that this would be a scent I'd end up hating. Well, I was wrong, and I'm not sure whether or not that's for the better, because my chances of ever getting my hands on another cheap decant (or even bottle!) of this are slim to none, and that makes me so heartbroken!

Underpants is foody without being TOO foody or overwhelming on the sweetness. Not only does it smell like butter rum and vanilla cream, but I'm getting hints of caramel too...or maybe that's just a combination of the two. It's creamy, warm and sweet, and I'm really upset that this is such a hard blend to find because I can't afford to pay tons of money for more. I hope it's resurrected in the future.

In the bottle: yummy sweetness. Why do I smell something like strawberries? well, you get the gist, its a yummy foody smell, makes me want to eat it up!

Wet: This is where it gets weird. I definitely smell something like buttercream frosting and cake. Which would be great, but its warping with my skin, and it doesn't smell right. It smells like B.O., sweat, frosting and cake. Blech.

Dry: The buttercream and cake smell has gone, what is left is a gorgeous non-foody vanilla + sandlewood. I LOVE IT. Its a feminine sexy. Its like Antique Lace without the florals.

Overall: I wasn't crazy about the wet phase, but all in all, I liked it. 5/5.