Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Sign in to follow this  
zillah37

Nocturne

Anoint the soles of your feet, your temples, Third eye, pulse points, and your heart prior to retiring. It aids in bringing on natural sleep, and helps ensure that you are not plagued by nagging thoughts and nightmares.

I have serious sleeping problems and I've been slowly working my way through Beth's sleep blends. Quietude and I have a close personal relationship at this point. But I think Nocturne will be my special sleep blend from now on.

In the vial, I get lavendar and jasmine with something sharp behind it. It's not a pleasant scent, but it fades rather fast once applied. I followed the directions and anointed my feet, temples, Third Eye, pulse points, and heart before getting in bed. Almost immediately, I felt very heavy and my mind started to slow down.

The first time I wore it, I ended up spending a lot of the night in a twilight sleep instead of a deep sleep. I can't say for sure that it was the Nocturne or just my wacky body. The second time, I fell into a deep, natural sleep without having to resort to any sleeping pills. The third time, I added in my usual cup of chamomile and citrus tea and I slept better than I have in months.

I really wish that I had more than a single imp of this. It's absolutely the best sleeping blend I've ever used. If you have problems sleeping, try and get ahold of some Nocturne.

PLEASE NOTE: This review topic is for the Twilight Alchemy Lab oil named Nocturne. If you're looking for the Funereal Oil of the same name, those reviews are here. --Shollin

Nocturne

Note: this is different to the Funereal Oil of the same name, so don't get confused.

In the imp: sharp lavender and dried flowers-I’m guessing dry rose. I think there’s camomile in here as well.

I applied this to the areas instructed. Temples, third eye, pulse points (in this case, wrists), heart and feet.

Dry: The rose note comes out a lot more now, and there’s the dry scent of camomile in her as well, and also something sharply green. The scent is like a dry floral bouquet, and there’s a hint of lavender which isn’t as strong now. I shall now go to bed and see if this works on my sleep.

After a while: the scent gets more and more rosy, a real dry rose smell, with hints of camomile and other herbs.

The morning after: well, it didn’t make me drop off to sleep instantly but when I did sleep, it was undisturbed and I felt like I had slept better than most nights. It did induce some weird dreams though.

Verdict: scent wise, this was a pleasant, dry floral scent, with lavender at first, then camomile, and then a strong rose note came through. A nice scent to sleep with-and it wafts a lot-especially if you place it on the instructed areas. And it seems to work-after a while I dropped off into a good natural sleep, I was undisturbed until morning though I did get some pretty bizarre dreams. I will try this again, and hopefully it will work even more effectively next time, and maybe I will use it in conjunction with one of the Somnium oils on those really sleepless nights.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Got this as a frimp in my eBay purchase of several TALs. Tried it last night after staying up too late singing in my band and then getting excited over the new TAL update.

Scent: Floral, I agree with the rose & lavender remarks of the previous reviewers. I think perhaps the lavender is dried too, though, because it's not quite the ZING! Super!Lavender of Nanshe or some of the other GC blends. It's not bad, but totally not my style.

Magical: I put it everywhere as directed except my pulse points because those still had Chypre (TAL version) on them from earlier and I didn't want to mix TALs. Still, just smelling Nocturne made me almost immediately start to feel sleepy. Then I lay down and did my usual routine of fighting sleep because I am weird & perverse like that. Nocturne was trying to knock me out, I was just resisting. Finally I gave in and slept like a baby. I do agree about the weird dreams, but I don't mind those, they were quite amusing. (Old ladies on the bus trying to tickle my fat away as part of a spell? :P)

Overall: Does what it claims, scent is fine, not off-putting. Much more effective than the Somnium blends in my opinion.

ETA I have tried Nocturne several times since this review and it really is fabulous. What I notice now is that the wacky dreams usually occur the night after I use it, not that same night. I don't remember any dreams the nights I use Nocturne. Still a big thumbs up!

Edited by roesmoker

Preconceived notions:

I had to try this blend since I tend to go through phases where I toss and turn and have horrible nightmares that keep me awake, but since I already had Somnus, I got a decant of this instead of splurging on a whole bottle.

Scent impressions:

Smells like lavender, but sweeter than Somnus to my nose. I like the way this smells!

Effectiveness:

I've never in my life had such a good night's sleep as last night, although I'm not sure if it was the Nocturne or the fact that I haven't slept well in 4 nights because I couldn't get a refill on one of my medications that helps me get stage 4 sleep (long story) and finally got it last night. Either way, I have to say I'm impressed with Nocturne. It seemed to work better than Somnus does and didn't have the almost astringent smell to it that Somnus does.

The verdict:

I think I'm definitely going to get a bottle of this one. :P

Nocturne - When I try a sleep blend, I usually wait to review it until I’ve used it multiple times. However, my experience after the first use of Nocturne was so stunning that I had to review it right away! I have had difficulty sleeping for pretty much my entire life. I have a hard time falling asleep and then a hard time staying asleep. The last month or so has been even more difficult. Well, last night, I put Nocturne on as per the instructions (“anoint the soles of your feet, your temples, Third eye, pulse points, and your heart prior to retiring”). I fell asleep immediately, and I slept like a rock. I slept soundly through the night, and when I woke up in the morning, I felt refreshed and rejuvenated like I have not felt in quite some time. I don’t remember any of my dreams, which is unusual for me. I was just dead asleep. This stuff is phenomenal! As for the scent, when I sniff it in the vial, it’s definitely a lavender blend. The moment I apply it to my skin, the lavender moves into the background, and roses burst forth. Not the fresh, red roses of Rose Red, but the softer, sweeter roses of Water of Notre Dame and The Empress. Behind that is something else and I can’t tell if it’s smoke, incense, or herbs. The blend has such incredible staying power that 8 hours later, when I awoke, I could still smell it on my skin as strongly as I had the night before when I applied it. I’m going to be using this a lot for sleep. Excellent sleep blend. Two thumbs up!

Edit: I have managed to track down even more of NocturneWith the stress I've been under lately, I don't tend to fall asleep easily, but Nocturne has been my saving grace. I fall asleep quickly when I wear it and I sleep so hard and so soundly that I feel fully refreshed in the morning. I'm REALLY hoping this one will be released soon so that I don't have to keep eeking it out but can use it as liberally as I could ever want.

This is rose, lavender, and jasmine. It's a pleasant scent to me, but nothing I would wear as a perfume. Okay, now that the scent part is out of the way...

Effect: A gentle slide into deep, healthy, restful, untroubled sleep. Moments after I touched my forehead with it, I felt a not unpleasant heaviness there.

I got another decant to send to someone close to me who has terrible insomnia problems. I would recommend it to anyone. This is the only sleep blend I have used and I'm not sure I need to try any others now. (But who am I fooling? It's bpal, of course I'll try more.)

On the smell front, this is wonderful. Soft, pretty, and not overpowering. But most importantly, IT WORKS! I had the most amazing sleep earlier tonight and I'm the queen of horrible insomnia. I highly recommend this oil.

This smells lovely - like fresh geraniums and soft pink roses.

The effect is dramatic. I went to bed early, anointed as instructed, and lay back with a book. After a few pages I felt pleasantly spacey, then started yawning. I slept long and well.

I probably didn't need to reapply during the night after external factors woke me up. I slept longer than I needed to this time. Next time I might just try a sniff from the bottle, or nothing at all, and see what happens.

In Bottle: Lavendar and rose

On Skin: This is a sleep blend so lavendar was to be expected. Sadly, I am not a fan of lavendar, especially when it turns sour on me like this blend has and the rose makes it even more sour since it is another floral that doesn’t like my skin. It is much better used on linens or candles and not on my skin. I anointed the proper spots and I am actually feeling sleepy and relaxed right away. I’m going to go to bed in about 10 minutes and I can’t wait to see how it works. Fairly strong throw.

Good grief this is effective.

I have trouble sleeping and have to take herbal sleeping pills most nights and on occasion have needed to take Temazepam to get anywhere near sleeping. I have used TKO recently which is a great aid to relaxation when used in an oil diffuser, but isn't a knockout like I need

I managed to get a decant of Nocturne. On opening and anointing (as per instructions) a gentle scent of roses fills the room. I found the scent of Somnus when I had a decant so harsh and floral that I couldn't use it, whereas Nocturne is a lovely gentle rose.

I anointed and then read for about 20 minutes until I felt my eyelids closing insistently, almost as if I had taken Temazepam. I struggled against sleep for a few minutes after I had turned out my light (I often do this and its one of the problems with my insomnia), and after that I slept like a whole pile of logs, not even waking in the middle of the night which I normally do.

My DH had to get up early this morning, and I hardly woke when he left. When my alarm went off I lay in bed, just not being able to get up, and I have been feeling pretty spacy all morning. DH has just phoned and asked me how I slept, I said like a log, and he said "I think you over applied as I slept like I was drugged last night and found it hard to get up this morning" :P Looks like I might have used too much!

Will try again tonight but apply less. But Nocturne really does do what it claims to do. I am extremely impressed and also quite wary as this is powerful stuff.

I bought a bottle of this a few months ago, and have used it several times since, but I'd never reviewed because it had never done anything that impressive. I just figured it was one of those TALs that was not meant to work with me.

But last night, bored of Somnus and too lazy to dig out my Sleepy Moon, I took Nocturne out of my TAL cabinet and dotted it on faithfully, but with no real expectations.

whoa.

I was reading in bed when I realized the soles of my feet were tingling in this very soft, pleasant way, and it was literally spreading up my legs - just like in those guided relaxation exercises they have. My head felt kind of quiet and soft, and as I turned out the light, the most relaxing, liquid warmth began to swirl in my torso and chest.

I slept deeply, totally undisturbed, and had some really amazing, symbolic dreams.

I woke up feeling like crap, but that's because I still have a cold.

And the scent is really beautiful; a slightly softer version of the lavender in Somnus with the rose and chamomile I love so much in Despair. I'm so pleased this works.

Edited by Inanna9

I had acquired 2 imps of this from various decant circles, but after just a week of using it I had to acquire my own bottle (a kind soul picked one up for me at Will Call).

I work nights, and I sleep very poorly when it's light out. I have blackout curtains up in my room, but they're not perfect (the window is too large for the pole I have, and the magnets that hold the panels together against the light make the whole thing too heavy to stay up so they're not installed, and my cats constantly knock them down). Also, I have sleep apnea, the condo complex has landscapers during the day, and I have two rambunctious cats, and my phone rings constantly, and there are a whole host of other things that keep me from sleeping.

I used to use Somnus and it worked pretty well -- not to mention that it is the only scent my husband *volunteered* a positive opinion on -- but it was a little too harsh sometimes. Nocturne's scent is lovely lavender-rose.

I emptied both my decants into a small roller-bottle, which makes it much easier to apply. I use it every night (well, day -- I usually get to bed around 9am) and I sleep like a rock, almost always. I have a decant of TKO and I haven't even bothered to try it because Nocturne is so good.

Two feather pillows way up! :P

I used it semi wrongly, I anointed my chakra points, last midnight.

It smelled like soft lavender(must be a very special rose and jasmine not to go crazy on my skin), like having the window open on a spring night in the provence where the jasmine and some other flowers are in bloom.

I immediately felt drowsy and slept like a baby, I woke up just before my alarm clock rang at eight. Excellent :P

My dreams were normal and pleasant, something about playing in the pool with my friends.

I gave this a go last night, post-bath because while I was tired already, my brain was quite fried from everything at work, and I tend to take a while to settle down and actually sleep.

Scent-wise, it's rose, with a bit of lavender, and a bit of jasmine. The lavender isn't at all sharp though, it's lovely and round, and didn't raise the ire of my lavender-disliking DH (:

I'm awake now, and I can say I quite enjoyed the sleep I had last night - it's rejuvenated me like sleep should, instead of only topping my reserves up a little bit.

I've used Nocturne twice now and have had the same experience both times, so I think that's enough to review :P.

Scent: Nocturne, to me, smells like a very green rose scent. I don't smell any lavender at all -- just rose, but it's a very stemmy rose rather than the traditional perfume rose. It reminds me a bit of the rose in Chuparosa. It does not go dryer sheet on me like most roses do, thank goodness. I also don't smell any jasmine, which is good, because jasmine amps and does nasty things on my skin and gives me a headache -- not conducive to sleeping!

Effect: I don't think that Nocturne actually knocked me out or helped me get to sleep any faster or more easily. I didn't have trouble falling asleep, but I didn't notice that I fell asleep faster or more easily than I normally do. What I *did* notice, both times I wore Nocturne to bed, was the following:

1) I dreamed, but when I woke up I couldn't remember if I had dreamed or not. I was only able to remember that I did five or ten minutes later. I usually have a pretty high level of dream recall (even higher when I use Temple of Dreams). Nocturne seems to blot that out.

2) I woke before my alarm feeling very refreshed, and didn't hit the snooze button at all. That *never* happens, and this oil was completely worth the price just for that effect alone.

I wonder if #2 has anything to do with #1? Interesting. At any rate, I do seem to get refreshing, restful sleep when I use Nocturne, even if it doesn't help me fall asleep any faster. Good stuff.

My reaction when opening and trying this blend...

"Wow, this smells lovely. Lavender and rose, and a bit of something else. Mmm...(putting on oil). I'm not sure how well it works, though, since I still feel pretty awake. La la la...(THUD)."

Fell asleep like a rock, no dreams, stayed asleep until morning. Brilliant!

I have a lot of trouble sleeping. I've been tried 9 different meds in the past 9 months to put me to sleep and they've all either not worked or crapped out on me in a month, so I was really looking forwards to trying nocturne.

Nocturne is all screaming rose on me. I hate rose. I don't know if it was the fact that I was hating on the rose smell, but it didn't help me sleep at all. darn

I was very surprised that I had not reviewed TAL Nocturne yet.

I don't have specific sleep troubles, but I do have a tendency to be wound up, wired, and anxious. This makes it hard to settle down for the night. I have found that if I apply TAL Nocturne as the write-up suggests, I can read in bed or sit around for a bit and in no time at all I am very, very drowsy.

TAL Nocturne smells like lavender and roses to me. On my skin the rose amps over the lavender and it is just perfect: fresh, cool, slightly green. I love Sleepy Moon (heavy sleep), TKO (out like a light, sleep like a rock), and Quietude (light dreams), but TAL Nocturne is my favorite of them all both for the scent and for its effects. It gives me the most natural, gentle, restful sleep and I find that I reach for it the most.

This smells like lavender + The Dormouse to my nose. It's very light and pleasant. This might be a sleep aid of choice in hot muggy weather because it's not going to get too overpowering.

I used it a couple of nights ago in anticipation of a bad night's sleep (cramps! ugh!) and I did sleep a lot better than I normally would under such circumstances. I definitely fell asleep faster and as I'm one of those people who takes a loooooong time to fall asleep usually, that's a huge plus. I will try this a few more times for sure.

Disclaimer: I am nowhere near as good as most of you at breaking down notes w/in the blends, but I can give my thoughts to a certain degree :D

I've worn Nocturne the last 2 nights, and it's been interesting. While the scent is lovely (I get tea with lemon and sugar :P ), and I feel sleepy and comforted right away, I've been having some really weird dreams. Which is funny, considering that it's meant to "help ensure you are not plagued by nagging thoughts and nightmares." So, they weren't quite nightmares, but they were disconcerting. I'm hoping that I'm just in a wierd place that's overriding that aspect of the oil, as I really love the scent and would like to have this (in addition to Oneiroi) be my go-to sleep scent.

On me, Nocturne is primarily lavender and rose with a hint of lemon or lemongrass. It's a nice soothing blend and puts me to sleep pretty quickly.

I've used this two nights and the first night I just applied it to my wrists (both sides), chest, and neck. I slept very well and didn't dream much.

The next night I applied as stated in the description (heart, soles of feet, pulse points, third eye, and temples) and got to sleep just as quickly. I slept very well through the night, but I had more vivid dreams than the night before. They weren't bad dreams, but they were detailed and I had a few. Unfortunately I couldn't really remember them after waking.

I was sick over the weekend, and had been sleeping poorly/sleeping during the day. I've always been a poor sleeper anyway, but by last night I was exhausted. I had never tried Nocturne before, so I took it out to give it a try before bed. I annointed myself as in the description, read until I was sleepy, and went to bed.

I didn't sleep soundly through the whole night - I still woke up a couple of times- but here's the thing: when I got up at my alarm, I was as refreshed as if I'd just finished a week of vacation! My mind is clear, my body feels much better, and my heart is lighter!! Amaaaazing!!!

Good stuff, this. Think I need a bottle!!

I pick predominately lavender and rose from this blend, it's a very soft, loving rose. I used as directed and annointed the soles of my feet, temples, and other areas as specified. Fell asleep as normal, but man, the dreams! I don't often reach the third and forth stages of sleep due to a medical condition, so I rarely dream, but this night it was dreams a go go! Crazy, wacky, dreams, one running into the other, for what seemed like ages. I've been a little hesitant to use this again lest it's another wacky dream filled night for me.

Scent: I can pick out lavender, rose, and jasmine in this one. The rose predominates over time. It is kind of a sickly-sweet, overblown, sticky rose scent to me. I would not wear this for its scent (it might also be dangerous to use this stuff while operating heavy machinery).

Use: it works. Not like a sleeping pill, but it just seems to smooth out the rough edges of my sleep and helped me to not wake up in the night as much as usual. I have used it for the last several nights and feel unusually refreshed in the mornings.

I have not noticed anything unusual in the way of dreams.

This could smell like onions and sawdust and I would wear it faithfully to bed every night. It is so effective! I haven't felt this rested and refreshed in years. Scent-wise, it's lavender, roses and mint (catnip?) - not beautiful, not unpleasant. But it puts me to sleep and keeps me there for a good 7-8 hours. That is a miracle for someone who habitually wakes up repeatedly plagued by anxiety and nagging thoughts. Every worry I suppress in the daytime comes back at 4 a.m. Nocturne somehow rides over them and keeps me asleep. My dreams have been a little odd, but I imagine that's just the same anxiety that wakes me up, now working itself out in my dreams. I love this and I hope it keeps working. Recommended for any insomniac.

ETA: I can't wear this too often or the law of diminishing returns kicks in. It stops working when I use it every night. The crazy dreams have intensified however.

Edited by Nepthys