Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Pink Phoenix

Silliness in the extreme. Vanilla bean, honeycomb, sugared pear, sweet pea and a dribble of strawberry.

Pink Phoenix yummy, light, and very sweet, but loses all its depth after about three seconds of skin contact. :P I'm left with fluffy spun sugar, which is nice enough, but not something I'm likely to wear. So sad, the description sounded right up my alley!

I got a testable sniffie of this in a purchase from a fellow forumite. My review:

In the bottle: Sugary pink things...like a mixture of strawberries dipped in sugar and candy floss.

Wet: More of the same, but with a nice creaminess in the background, which is probably the vanilla.

Dry: STRAWBERRY! CAR FRESHENER! it screams on my skin.

I don't know what happened...it started so pretty, pink, and light...then morphed into this icky plastic fake strawberry on me. I'm almost glad it didn't work--one less LE I have to pine for. :P

I like this one, but I also got a shot of fake strawberry that plagued so many others. It was a beautiful, sweet, candied strawberry/vanilla scent to begin with and over time became a strawberry shortcake doll, but magnified. Oddly enough, I even enjoyed that particular scent, but not for an extended period of time. It wavers between that and the vanilla, but ultimately strawberry shortcake wins.

On my skin, this is a dead ringer for Pink Moon, and I'm starting to think of this as the "pink" base, as in it smells like SweeTarts in the best possible way. :P

Not an OMG MUSTHAVE for me, but it's nice I have an imp all the same.

UPDATE: Just wore this again today and I like it a lot more...the Sweettarts smell is gone and all I'm left with is the smell of white florals smeared with honey and rolled in powdered sugar. Nyummy!

Edited by little_galaxie

This is like strawberry shortcake! But much, much sexier of course. It's not quite as foody as I would have thought (even with the shortcake comparison). Maybe b/c the vanilla gets kind of musky when it's drying down. The strawberry is very sweet and syrupy, and is the most prominent note throughout the duration. I couldn't picture enjoying strawberry on my skin but it's gorgeous and sweet. The vanilla and honey is beautiful too. :P

There's something in this that just doesn't agree with me. I don't know if it's the pear, the strawberry, or the sweet pea, but it's just too strong and has an edge of chemical-fake on me. I think I can smell the vanilla and the honeycomb trying to break through, but it's being beaten down by the chemical fruit. At the end, the vanilla and honeycomb come into sweet dominance, but I fear the chemical fruit isn't worth the nice drydown.

I love this blend. It's the only bottle I've finished and I'm about 1/4 of the way into my second bottle. I love how the strawberry plays with the creamy vanilla base, the sugar and the hint of the pear. Strangely I don't get the fake strawberry here although I do in Strawberry Moon. This is sharing strawberries dipped into powdered sugar in bed with a lover, licking a drip of strawberry juice off his lips and then...well you can imagine the rest ;-).

Edited by Kimocean

On me the strongest note is the sweet pea with the strawberry turning a little plastic on my skin. In the background is the faintest of vanilla, but I also get musk/spice in this too. I don't have any strawberry scents in my collection and really wanted one. I think that I am going to try and play around with layering other scents with this one to see if I can make it work. Otherwise, this bottle will go to my daughter who loves it! :P

780892617_xKN95-Ti.jpg

Since my first imp of the day crapped out on me early, I moved on to the decant of this, which a kind friend gave me.

Imp: Very sweet vanilla. I have a bit of a bad feeling about this..

Wet: Still very, very sweet, but now I get the sense of strawberry, and plastic.

Dry: ick, plastic-y, vanilla foody ickiness. I can't stand this.

Verdict: I washed this off, it was giving me a headache. Thank goodness this was a gift decant and not something I bought. I am going to pass this decant along to someone else who will hopefull appreciate it, since it's not for me.

Edited by stellans

I was afraid that this would be pure Smarties candy on my skin--that sweet, shallow smell of red sweets, and it does smell like that on the first few seconds of application. However, it almost immediately softens into a "pink" candy musk; the sweet pea and honeycomb does a good job of pulling the candy aspects of the scent into something wearable as a perfume, and the result is something snuggly and sweetly enveloping. A good day to wear for those limitlessly blue sky spring days.

Ahh! I waited a long time to get my hands on some of this and it was definitely worth it. I love sweet pea!!

At first this is realllly candy-sweet. Strawberry and honeycomb and sugar sugar sugar.

Quickly though it fades to a really soft, cheerful blend that last for hours on me. Sweet sweet pea and vanilla, with just a little fruity redness. Definitely a very pink scent.

This smells like . . . jellybeans. The good kind.

All the notes are detectable even when it's wet for a deliciously balanced but overwhelmingly sweet and foody scent that is as lickable as it is friendly.

I put it on and hello pear! Pear, honey, and sweet pea are all duking it out over the stunned remains of what used to be my dignity. I would say I smell like an underaged prostitute, but actually I smell like a young-looking prostitute whose specialty is pretending to be an underage virgin.

This is Jailbait's smarter and more conniving cousin, and she has regular phone sex with Bordello. Her mom is O.

Yeah, baby. I'm missing you like candy.

Obviously, stay away if you don't want to smell like the berrylicious Jolly Rancher your friend's dirty little sister spat into your mouth before she went down on you. Me? I don't mind smelling like that.

Pink Phoenix-

In Bottle: Sweeeeet juicy cherry-strawberry musk. Smells like a sweet young thing in heat!

Wet: Same thing on my skin, highly strawberry-fruity with underlying musk.

Dry: Yummy! This stays very much the same from bottle to dry-down, and the whole impression I get is sweet, yummy, and a scent I very much like to wear on my skin, it isn't just about candy and fruit (though I like candy and fruit lots).

Overall: I love!

Oh no.

I think what went wrong on with Pink Phoenix is the same thing that happened in O on me. They smell almost the same, only Pink Phoenix is better. It has to be the Vanilla/Honey interaction. Together, they go...well, I don't really know how to explain it. It's powder-ish, but also strong and sweet. Not terrible, but not wonderful either. As it dries down, it gets better, but it's still not what I was looking forward to. I can't detect any of the strawberry, sweet pea or pear (unless they are somehow adding to the mysterious skin-chemistry-ness). I think I'll try to find a decant of this.

Oh no! Oh, why, why, why? I was completely prepared to love this, and then...

Strawberry soda. Completely. Totally.

I can't even remember when I might have had strawberry soda (Fanta, I guess?), but that's what's on my arm now.

Stupid skin. Stupid nose.

Guess I've never been good at wearing pink...

Huh, I've had this since it was released. I dunno why I haven't reviewed it yet...

pinkphoenix.jpg

Bottle: A very sweet fruity smell. Strawberry, yes, but also a bit of cherry. Actually, in the bottle this sometimes reminds me of cough syrup.

Wet: Still very fruity, less cough syrup. The sweet pea definitely comes out more (but doesn't scream bathroom cleaner like usual). Most of all this is just SWEET and lollipop-y. As this dries, the sugar sometimes threatens to go synthetic/burnt on me, and the sweet pea sometimes wafts of bathroom cleaner, but typically it all ends in my favor (depends on my cycles).

Drydown: The fruits come into a better balance and I get a vanilla/honey scent with a hint of non-lollipop berry. Its very nice in this stage, much less candy smelling, think "O" plus berry.

Overall: I don't wear this often (very sweet for most of my moods), but I haven't been able to let it go--its like a sleepover and pillow-fight in a bottle (very girly!). :P I never smell the pear, which is a shame. This reminds me quite a bit of Pink Moon (the original, not 2007) minus all the florals, but I do actually prefer the more complex Pink Moon.

Edited by jewelbug

In the imp: oooh, fruity! strawberry and cherry and something a bit spicy.

On me, wet: immediately softened and sweetened by the honey, with a very strong powdery undertone.

On me, dry: ew ick plastic and powder, with a sweet sticky honeyed-fruit veneer.

Verdict: Augh, augh, g'way.

This is happy deliciousness, definitely silliness in the extreme! This is a lovely, fluffy pink scent that smells like tart sugared strawberries. I don't pick up any sweet pea yet, thankfully, since I'm not one who can wear sweet pea. This smells like a strawberry patch and it's very yummy and uplifting. The pear adds a bit of tang and underneath that, I can pick up what I think is the vanilla bean. Yum!

I received an imp of this from a lovely forumite. I am so excited that I get to try it!

In the imp:

Sugared strawberries.

Wet:

Bubble gum. As it dries down a bit, it becomes a sweet, candied fruit scent, somehow familiar. As I start looking through some of the other reviews, I realize why. As one reviewer put it, "It is the bastard love child of Pink Moon and Aunt Caroline’s Joy Mojo." For me, this is a good thing, as Aunt Caroline was my first BPAL scent and my first BPAL love, and I love Pink Moon as well.

Dry:

I am having trouble picking out individual notes because this is pretty much just creamy, sticky sugar on me... with just a tiny hint of florals underneath. This scent is all that I hoped it would be. I wonder if I can still hunt down a bottle of it.

Imp: Why does pink Phoenix smell purple to me? In the imp, it smells like tiny purple flowers, lilacs, peonies, violets. *checks description* Sweet pea. Ah.

Wet: Iris, I think. Another purple flower. What the hell? Plasticky. :P There's the sweet pea I remember, turning horrid.

Dry: Is my nose all screwed up? Faintly fruity, but mostly plastic flowers. I don't think I can entirely blame the vanilla for it, this time. *eyes sweet pea warily*

This one works well on my skin, with an absolutely beautiful blending of the vanilla, strawberry and pear coming to the forefront almost immediately.... After a moment the sweet pea comes out a bit, and I do get the somewhat sweet-strawberry-plastic-like smell that others have mentioned, but it is not near enough to turn me away. At this stage it morphs into something very similar to Aunt Carolines Joy Mojo (which I love, by the way) and has a gorgeous, delicate pink sweetness to it that is both sexy but innocent at the same time.

On drydown it gets a bit powdery, but retains its sweetness, and the scent stays pretty stong and true for quite a while...

I would certainly welcome a bottle of this one.

Edited by mystery213

It's not until I take it away from my nose that I can pick out any scents. I can smell the vanilla and strawberry...unfortunatly no pear! Something in it makes it have a sort of medicinal smell. I will need to wear it longer to make my final decision.

Wow!!! I really love this one.

In Bottle: I definitely smell the sweet pea and the strawberry, but it's not too strong.

Wet: I still get the sweet pea, but now I also smell a little of the vannila.

Dry: Now most of the strawberry and sweet pea has faded away, but I now smell the pear and the vannila and maybe a little of the honey.

This is a nice, soft, sweet perfume and I love it. :P

There's no silliness in this scent!! Just yummeh goodness!! Very faint, though- I will have to slather this baby on. Strawberry and honey for sure, vanilla right there too. Pear and sweet pea afre hiding right now though. Faded after about 4 hours, which is very fast for me!! Nice morning scent, but I don't see putting this on in the evening or for going out.