Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Pink Phoenix

Silliness in the extreme. Vanilla bean, honeycomb, sugared pear, sweet pea and a dribble of strawberry.

Rating (on skin): 1/5
Summarised in a word or two: Artificial strawberry.

In the imp: Ooh. Strawberry, pear and vanilla.

On skin, wet: Bubblegum. I know that note from Aeval: sweet pea. Sweet pea and I... we have some serious issues. What would normally be a lovely sugary strawberry-vanilla syrup scent becomes artificially-flavoured strawberry gum because of that damned sweet pea.

On skin, dry: Hmm. Waxy. Gummy, but at the same time, waxy. Candle-waxy. A strawberry-gum scented candle, maybe. Regardless, not good.

Conclusion: I'll say it again: sweet pea and I hate each other, so I'm not terribly surprised it ruined what could've been a gorgeous blend (though it likely would've been too sweet for me to want to wear as a perfume). Edited by Shollin

super sweet sugary vanilla strawberry! i smell the pear lurking in the background, but the sweet pea is completely absent.

this is a very fun scent. :P really sweet and fruity.

First whiff: yowzers! I... just wow. :D

This is sweetness concentrated in liquid form. It would send Willy Wonka himself into a diabetic coma. I don't know how this is possible, even sugar doesn't smell this sweet! :D

I can smell the strawberry (more like a strawberry ice-cream note than the fruit) and the sweet pear (there's a tiny sparkling tang there), with a hint of sweet pea.

Drydown: OK, frankly, this is totally out there and more than a bit artificial smelling. This being said, I'm really liking it :3

The tangy note develops and counterbalances the sweetness nicely, it's delicious like tart candy, and boy does it have throw!

After a few hours, the strawberry is completely gone and it's all tangy tart sugar with a hint of pear and sweet pea.

All in all, it's a very hard scent to describe - I guess it most smells like a white pear preserved in syrup - sweet/tangy pear, extra sweetness with syrup on top. I never smelled the honeycomb, by the by, and the vanilla only becomes detectable after many hours (yes, because Pink Phoenix lasts forever: I've put it on over 12 hours ago, I slept on it, and it's still going strong!)

Verdict: honestly, I should hate this, as it's, well, oversweet, unsophisticated, one-dimensional and a bit artificial... except I totally don't :D

My first reaction was much along the lines of "what the bejeezus?", but it's grown on me so much - third time I'm trying it, and I keep coming back to it!

I'm betting a little girl would go ga-ga over this puppy :P

8.5/10

In the vial: Oh dear. This has vague cough medicine/amoxicillin scent memories tied up in it. Not exactly a bubbly fun scent for me. I cross my fingers.

Wet: Still cough syrup. Wah. :P Slightly powdery cough syrup even. With a vanillic after-scent. Odd.

Dry: Augh get it off. It amps the dryer it gets and the vanilla turns into plastic. Definite fake strawberry and plastic scent. Wow. This is actually making my eyes water.

In the bottle

Honeyed strawberries, sweet but not cloying.

Wet

The vanilla bean comes out but I can definetly still smell the honey and strawberries. As for the pears, my skin is saying, "What pears?"

Dry

The vanilla and strawberry are definetly the strongest note, with the honey only just barely gilding the edge. Overall, this has a tendency to get SUPER sweet, so this is not a slather scent for me. I love it, it smells like Strawberry Shortcake dolls and tea parties, but I'm only going to be able to wear it in small amounts :P

A very sweet scent. It would be close to a flavored cotton candy, except that it isn't that sweet and is actually a tad tart. Lovely, but not for me.

I definitely get the same cotton candy feeling as Mary Mayhem. The main parts that come through on me were the strawberry and pear, which is a shame, as I was hoping it would be the vanilla and honeycomb....

this is so sweet I'm almost cringing. pink pink sweet sugar, sugared fruit and cotton candy. gosh this is even sweeter than midway! sweet in an almost chalky way. at its strongest it smells like that standard pink public bathroom soap.

I'm undecided as of now, but I'm thinking I might be swapping this one.

In the bottle:

Sugary strawberries

On me:

I got this for the strawberry + vanilla factor, and though I was hoping for something more like FRESH strawberries and this wasn't like that at all - it didn't disappoint. It's a wonderful blend, a fun and wonderful scent. It's sugar and soft strawberries, it smells like cotton candy! The honey doesn't come out to play very much on my skin and the vanilla isn't very strong either. But this isn't too candyish either, it's actually just a great blend.

Final note:

If you're a fan of the Pink Sugar scent at all, you want to track down a bottle of this, because it's VERY similar in vibe but I personally like Pink Phoenix more. It's fun and flirty and wonderful!

Origin:

Imp from my Imp Pimp, Diana. :P

Preconceived notions:

I keep typing Pimp Phoenix when I try to write about this, in spite of my expecting this to be a girly-in-the-extreme kind of scent rather than a bad ass velvet hat and cane kind of scent. I'm not anticipating this working on me. I do like vanilla bean, honeycomb and pear, but the sweet pea and strawberry don't bode well at all. Plus I just expect this to be far too girly for me.

First sniff:

That's pretty much what I expected. A tooth-achingly sweet, generically girly scent that doesn't do it for me. :D

Wet on skin:

This isn't as bad as I'd expected, really. I was most afraid of the strawberry as no BPAL strawberry scent has ever worked for me, but all I really smell in here is sugar...and sugary, pink, frilly things. It's not quite for me, but I can at least see why it would be fun and even pretty enough on someone else. It clashes with my personality, unfortunately. :D

Dry down:

This is interesting...normally this sort of a scent would be put up on my swaps list immediately, but I'm waffling over this one. It's interesting. Definitely not the kind of scent I've ever worn in the past, but it's got it's attractions. I think I might hang onto this for a while until I can make up my mind.

The bottom line:

I like this quite a bit more than I'd anticipated. It's girly in the extreme for sure, but it's not a bad girly in the extreme like Pink Moon was.

Edited by Shollin

I can't believe I haven't reviewed this.

Pink, sticky cotton candy. It's perfect. The strawberry is much less pronounced (barely noticeable) than in Pink Moon and the florals are merely a suggestion.

Pink, sticky cotton candy. I can't explain it better than that.

Pink Phoenix

pinkphoenix-1.jpg

First Sniff:

Cotton Candy.

Wet:

Liquid sugar. My teeth hurt just smelling this.

Drying:

There’s a sort of weird undertone that I can’t quite distinguish… Is it the strawberry?

After a Few Hours:

Still sugary-seweet, though not as intense as before.

Overall Impressions:

Cavity-inducing, but I’ll keep it for when the mood strikes. Not without its charms.

Rating:

6/10

Another delicious scent! I don't get cotton candy from Pink Phoenix, but then again, I ate cotton candy maybe twice when I was a kid, so that's probably why I don't have that association.

Wet, this is sugary strawberries dropped in a bowl of honey. Mmm! My first dance with a BPAL strawberry. She's very loud (where are you, pear, sweetpea, and vanilla?), but she's a pretty one and I'll forgive her.

After it dries, it's still mostly strawberry, but I think I can smell some vanilla smoothing it all out, because it smells very much like strawberries and cream to me. Kind of like those hard candies, CreamSavers.

A few hours later, Pink Phoenix is sweet strawberry, and... hey, some sweetpea! Didn't know sweetpea would stick around that long, but glad she did.

This has awesome staying power, makes me feel girly, and is great for a different fruity scent (all my other fruity oils are citrussy).

Toothachingly sweet. To me this is not cotton candy- it's way too heavy and deep for that.

I get a little vanilla, tons of sugar, a tiny hint of strawberry and a really pungent note- I think it's the honey that goes all mad here. I don't know the smell of sweet pea though, it might be this instead. The description sounded as if I would love this since I get along well with sweet stuff, but unfortunately this is a little too much for my nose.

For some reason, Pink Phoenix reminds me a lot of Beaver Moon.

It's sweet and fruity (strawberry).

Girlish and fun!

Yay, I am finally trying this! And am glad I have some more on the way since I think this will be a good spring scent. It might be too much like Pink Moon for anyone standing around me to notice the difference, but where the moon was kind of like strawberry ice cream this is more like strawberry incense.

It specifically reminds me of a strawberry cone incense I used to buy and burn every spring. In the vial it's much more sweet and I can pick out the listed notes, but on my skin it is definitely strawberry incense. I don't like sweet or sugary scents but there's something about strawberry that I really love in the right combination. It doesn't become candylike or sweet on me, it just does that nifty incense cone trick even though there are no incense ingredients in this. But my skin has soaked up so much of that over the years, that I act like a human incense coal apparently.

I think the honeycomb must be the magic ingredient since I get a similar effect from Luperci with its beeswax note. It's a very natural warm scent that warms to my skin and tends to deepen whatever it touches. Not something I'd wear a whole lot but I will get a lot of mileage out of it during early spring!

I finally got my hot little hands on a decant of this!

It's all strawberries and cream on me, with a little drizzle of honey to provide toothache inducing sweetness. This one seems to be made up of all "top" notes, and has a bit of a dizzying effect. It's what I thought Pink Moon would smell like. Overall, I like it a lot, even if it's not something I'd wear every day. It's just for days when you feel girly happy, and need something to top it off with... and it puts me in mind of Miwako from the manga Paradise Kiss, if that makes sense! :P

Pink Phoenix makes me want to put on a frothy pink dress and pick flowers in the sunshine!

I was hoping for fresh strawberries and pears, two of my favorite fruit scents, but instead I got a sweet, tart scent (almost citrussy). Not exactly what I was expecting, but I still like it. I must also mention how much I love the labels on the Phoenix bottles!

Wow, this is what I was hoping Pink Moon would be like. The strawberry starts off strong and sweet, but it's more playful than Strawberry Moon. In the early stages, it smells a lot like my son's Berry Chapstick, complete with waxy undertones. The drydown settles into a sweet floral, the kind of floral I can almost hear the bees buzzing around now. It's a smell that reminds me of childhood, chasing butterflies through clover-filled yards. This is a bubbly, happy-making scent. It sticks around too. I just put on the sweater I had on last night and the traces of Pink Phoenix on the sleeve have rubbed off on me so I smell like it again. I don't mind one bit.

Pink Phoenix is the succor of butterflies. The contents of a bottle could be found in a rose quartz encrusted chalice at an Otherworldly garden party. It is the iced nectar of the Faerie Queen presiding over a table filled with platters of halved strawberries and chilled pears. The air is hung with sweetness swept by the wings of the Phoenix, pink like an eternally blooming flower, as it rises from the ambrosial lake. The Faerie Queen, clothed in a brocade of petals, claps her hands and laughs with delight at the Phoenix's sparkling ascent.

I have but an imp and wish to the faeries for a full 5ml bottle.

Starts off bubble gum sweet, but not overly so. Seems like a fun, fruity, flirty fragrance. Dries down to very sweet, candy and flowers. This is perfect for days when I want to act my shoe size, not my age, and have a bit of fun.

In bottle: It's almost plasticky - it smells so artificial to me. Vanilla and strawberries, with sugary honey and amped-up pear mingling into a super-fruity, frou frou fragrance.

On me: Pink musk. In the end, everything blends into that! Whatever the musk is in Snow White - I smell it here, but it is completely 'pinked' out with a sugary, strawberry fruity plastic.

In the bottle: Fresh strawberries and a touch of vanilla.

Wet: The strawberry goes back and forth between smelling totally fresh and totally synthetic. The vanilla adds a nice creamy balance.

Drydown: It becomes a soft, powdery, creamy strawberry. This oil doesn’t have much throw though.

Verdict: This is probably the most “girly” BPAL oil I have tried, and I do like it. Honestly, the main reason I purchased it was for the fact that other reviewers alluded to the fact that it smells like a Strawberry Shortcake doll’s scented vinyl head, and I was looking for that nostalgic scent fix. It will be a fun summer scent to rotate with my Dorian.

Well, to me, it smells all of sweet, sweet dry stick bubblegum while wet (ironic?), and it dries to sweet, teensy bit musky scent on me. I thought the muskiness came from the tonka bean, but apparently that's not in Pink Phoenix at all. I guess it's just my skin chemistry.

It's nice, but I think it's too brightly sweet for me overall! I really thought I would like it more, with my recent addiction to sweet and foody scents. However, I like Pink Moon better as far as my pinkly sweet fix. Still, glad I tried it, and I'm happy to pass it along to a new home.

This is Pink Moon's show-offy, precocious but totally adorable little sister!!! Pink-red from the candy-sweet strawberry and vanilla and honeycomb, but the sweetpea is a really cool touch that makes it sweet strawberry candy with a little extra oomph!! :D

Fun in a bottle!!! :P