Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
GypsyRoseRed

Pink Phoenix

Silliness in the extreme. Vanilla bean, honeycomb, sugared pear, sweet pea and a dribble of strawberry.

::Rubs sadly at sinuses::

Pink Phoenix sounded like it would be perfect for me, as I consider myself to be a very cutesy/silly sort of person. All of the ingredients sounded lovely as well... *sigh*

In the vial this was a bit like pink punch. I got the strawberry, vanilla, and honey. On me, everything but the strawberry and vanilla dissapeared. It's a very synthetic strawberry. It was nice on the drydown. It reminded me very much of old Strawberry Shortcake type toys. I liked it, but sadly, didn't love it.

Now, a few hours later, I've got an awful headache. Oh Pink Phoenix, I had such high hopes for you. Luckily I already have someone waiting who is dying to have you.

Mmmmmm.

In the imp: Oh, so sweet. Smells like strawberry Jolly Ranchers and grape Kool-Aid.

Wet: Finally getting more than just "sweet". Smells like strawberry cotton candy. Mmmm.

Dry: A tiny glimpse of pear behind honeyed berries and vanilla sugar. This mellows as it wears, becoming less overwhelmingly sweet as time goes on. This is the vanilla and honey that I wish O was on me. The strawberry settles down, the pear shows up more, and much later, the sweet pea makes itself known in the faintest final wisps.

I'm glad I snapped up a bottle when I did!

You know, this smells a LOT like Pink Sugar. It's not a dupe - they're definitely different - but they both have very similar notes and convey a sense of "neon pink."

That said, I really love this one.

In the bottle: strawberries and champagne.

Wet: Wow, this smells JUST like Pink Sugar does after it's drydown. Fruity sugar and musk. I'm really not getting the sweet pea.

Dry: Strong vanilla and strawberry. Not sweet...but very strong.

Overall: I really wish I had bought this instead of Red Phoenix! Oh well. :P

ETA: Now that I'm into the base notes, this is like Pink Sugar and Hollywood Babylon's love child. :D

Edited by ladymissspyder

This is indeed a sweet, silly smell. Sniffing from the vial, the word 'pink' came to mind ... perhaps the title may have swayed my judgement, but it's the pinkest BPAL scent I've smelled yet!! (The most pink would be Aquolina's Pink Sugar which smells exactly like fairy floss (cotton candy/candy floss).)

While on my skin, the sweetness is tempered by something ... hm... how to describe it? Something that rounds out the sweetness so it isn't cloying, but it's not really a foody smell. Something with perhaps a little sharpness to it. Perhaps the sweetpea? But it does remind me a little of Strawberry Moon, though it's doesn't have that creamy scent to it.

But it is an amazing scent and I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists!!! Mmm.

In the bottle: This smells very fresh and young. i'll agree with "pink punch" but add that "It's pink tea.... and it's GOOD tea."

Wet: It's sugary, fruity and fresh.

Dry: It fades quickly on me, but it's amazing the entire time. I'm constantly sneaking sniffs from my wrist.

Overall: This scent makes me want to cuddle EVERYTHING. I love it. ^-^ It's girly and fresh and bubbly. I want a million bottles of this.

Bottle: strawberry and sweet pea - man, I really need to get a starter off my grandmother's old sweet pea bush. [note to self]

Wet: ridiculously sweet. this is what Barbie Pink smells like, I am certain. I'm catching the very sweet pear, this is starting to catch in my throat - how odd, maybe it's the strawberry turning to an odd strawberry incense smell... I hate fruity incense. Heresy.

Dry: hello, yes the vanilla and honey are amping. this should get interesting as the strawberry incense fights with them for dominance. R U ready 2 rummmble?!???

Later: vanilla and strawberry have signed a pact of evil and are stomping on all of the other notes. In cleats.

in the bottle:

Every single person I've made smell this in the bottle has recoiled in confusion and/or disgust, because in the bottle it smells very, very weird and plastic-y.

wet:

But wait! After everyone rejects this one in the bottle, I feel like I have to hold their hand and pull them along and ask them to trust me that this actually smells fantastic. Once on my skin, it bursts into a sugary-sweet, cotton candy, pink, gorgeous, happy cloud of loveliness. It immediately cheers me up.

dry:

I so love this scent. Everytime I wear it, it dries down slighly differently. Today the tart fruitiness of the pear is most evident, but other times the sugar and vanilla are the dominant scents. Generally, it dries to a sweet, slighty-fruity, bright and girly blend.

season: Spring and summer fit the mood of this one best, but I can see myself wearing it on dreary fall and winter days for a burst of bright cheeriness.

office-friendly? Yes ma'am.

overall:

How much do I love Pink Phoenix? A lot! I even love the label. This is the ultimate sweet and girly blend, with a sugary softness that I loved being wrapped in. This is definitely not for everyone, but I am addicted to all things cute and pink and adorable, and this is one adorable blend.

Another one I passed up because of the description - didn't really want to smell "silly".

I find Pink Phoenix to be more comforting than silly: on me it is mostly vanilla and honey with a little bit of sweet pea. I don't detect much strawberry, if any. PP also has noticeable throw and lasts at least five hours.

I'm tickled Pink.

In the bottle: This is super-sweet cough syrup. The strawberry kicks me in the nose, and it's medicinal and plastic.

On my skin: The vanilla comes out and warms up the scent, making it much more pleasant and less chemical. After 5 minutes, it turns into warm, creamy strawberry dessert. It's very sweet and very... PINK, dark luscious pink, not fluffy candy cotton pink. It's not for me, so I'm glad it's my sister's and not mine. It's perfect for her because she's the sweet, cutesy one.

This has good throw, and it's very long lasting. I dabbed some on last night before bed, and I can still smell it now. For me, this is not necessarilly a good thing, but if you're a pink kind of girl, you'll love it.

Pink Phoenix - yum!

First whiff from bottle - hmmm, there's sort of an itchy scratchy bite to this - hope it smells better on me

First swipe on wrist - still sort of a bite - but later warms up into a smooth vanilla and honey concoction with a bit of tang. I figure out later it's probably the floral note of sweetpea - don't get much strawberry here.

Can still smell this if I sniff my wrists later in the evening - now it's mostly just vanilla and honey. Mmmmmm.

Second swipe on wrist on next day - no bite this time - just smooth creamy vanilla and honey with a strawberry and floral background. I so love this. :P

Thanks to my sis, dnipbhsw for winning this off EBay for me!

Pink Phoenix - First off, I want to say, who came up with the crazy idea that Pink Phoenix is "gender neutral"? This is All Girl! Upon first whiff of it wet in the bottle, I could feel my body melting into a state of bliss. Then I applied it, and I felt like I was floating on a pink cloud of pure Heaven. I had moment of temporary insanity and was ready to trade in ALL of my other BPALs for all the Pink Phoenix I could get my hands on. Upon dry-down, something just slightly bitter is evident when I put my nose up to my wrist (what is it... orange rind, perhaps?), but the air around me is fragrant with a fine pink mist. It's like pink bubblegum mixed with pink cotton candy and red licorice and all the lovely pink, sugary candies you can name -- yet it's not overly-sweet or cloying. It's just perfect. The scent has amazing throw, and lasts for hours and hours and hours. Many hours after applying, I was still getting compliment after compliment on it (some from perfect strangers who just had to know what I was wearing).

After wearing it for about 8 hours, my reaction is this: I want to bathe in it! I want to fill up my tub with it and flop around like a squealy naked schoolgirl! I want to slather it all over my hair and rub it all over my body.

I haven't had that kind of fanatical reaction to ANY other BPAL scent -- not even my previous faves. And yes, I have already tracked down and purchased another bottle. And OMG -- if you have Vice on hand, try layering the two. It's truly the most wonderful, soft, pink, yummy, girly combo ever.

Okay... let me preface this by saying girly scents are my thing. Pink, girly, bubblegum, and strawberry are four adjectives that mean "must buy" in my world. After reading so many lovely reviews here, I knew I had to get an imp of Pink Phoenix. Perhaps now you can understand my disappointment when I say: this fragrance makes me want to gag.

I almost wonder if I got the wrong imp. I can *almost* smell a faint whiff of plasticky strawberry. But all I can really smell is musk. A noxious musk mixed with a faint whiff of plasticky strawberry. The combination is so grotesque that I am actually reminded of those cheap industrial-smelling toilet bowl cleaners, just dropped into the bowl to do whatever it is those things do. Ugh.

And this was all IN THE BOTTLE. When I put it my wrists, the smell only intensified. I had to wash it off. I am dismayed. :P

Yum yum yum.

I became a BPAL addict about three and a half days after this left the site forever, so I hadn't heard of it. Once I joined the forums, I heard about Red and Pink Phoenix, thought they were cute, but never looked it up. But THEN! The lab threw two bottles up on eBay, I read the description, and HAD to have a bottle. :P No, I'm not enabled!

In the bottle: Melted strawberry candy. Mm. I want to drink this bottle like a shot (something I want to do more and more often, 'cause of all the foody scents I'm buying!), but refrain, because:

1) I just spent good money on this! I'm not gonna waste the whole thing so I's can drink it

2) Hospital visits are expensive.

Anyway. Time to try it on!

Wet on the skin: Even more delicious. This is not a subtle strawberry. This is the four-year-old daughter of subtle strawberries, a daughter that has just have FIVE popsicles. I actually giggle when I wear this. Remember Gummi Bears, that old cartoon? Where they had the special juice and when they drank it they bounced all over the place? Yeah, that's what this is. Beth secretly got her start making Gummi Juice, and decided to sell it as perfume. This is the silliest, pinkest smell EVAR.

Drying/Dry: Once Pink Phoenix's got enough time to dry down, the honeycomb gets a little stronger (at least I think it's the honey... definitely not pear or vanilla bean!), but it's still lovely and sweet. Lasts a good long time, too, and can be pretty strong if'n you wear too much.

Overall: I am so glad I nabbed a bottle of this off of eBay! This is such a great scent to wear when you're feeling goofy, or feeling moping and wanting to be cheered up!

Oh, and as a warning, I don't know if this is just me, but every time I wear this I get a wicked craving for cake. :D

8.5/10

I scored this off Ebay - and I'm SO glad I did :D

This scent is very similar to Pink Moon - it's delicious! It's girly, it's fun, it's just...cute! I feel good when I wear it.

In the bottle: Sweetness all around! I get the strawberry the most, and just a bit of that vanilla bean in there..YUM! :D

Wet on the skin: Now I smell what could be pear, and it blends it amazingly with the strawberry, but I still find that strawberry scent to be prominant. But don't be fooled - this is VERY different than Strawberry Moon.

Dry down: The pear takes the top a bit more, and I get a bit of that honey scent blending with vanilla and I seriously am getting giggly - it's so beautiful! I'm not sure what sweet pea would smell like - but maybe that's the note that comes out quite a bit at the end of it all? Either way - fabulous blend and I'm glad I made a big bottle mine just based on reviews :D :P

Edited by BrightRedScream

In the bottle: VERY pink. I smell it and I see pink! And the funny thing is...the only "pink" ingredient is the strawberry, really. :P It's sweet and powdery smelling, but in a nice way. It makes me giggle. :D

Wet: Light, yet still there. Like...it smells light and powdery and sweet and....awwwww....That's all I can say. Awwwwwwwwwww <3

Dry: It becomes a bit stronger when it dries. The sweetness is very prominent now and less powdery. But I like it!

.....I'm all giggly now. :D

My first impression was strawberry incense, but there is so much more to Pink Phoenix. The pear, honeycomb and the sweet pea combine to give it a depth and a richness. I keep smelling incense notes and I think that it is the vanilla combined with the honeycomb and the sugared pear.

I was prepared for a very sweet, perhaps too sweet blend, but think that Pink Phoenix has a mellowness and earthiness that I didn't expect to find. I'm glad that I was able to locate a bottle of this.

Throw is average and I expect that my skin will hold on to this for hours since it never likes to let go of BPAL scents. :P

Oh this is sweet, very very sweet. It's got a great scent, but I fear for most around me it would be a tad nauseating!

I smell ooey gooey goodness of sugar, honey, vanilla, and strawberries. I picture BPAL bottling a little girl with pigtails complete with pink ribbons in her hair, a frilly pink dress, pink stockings, and some sort of adorable pink sneakers. Ack, the girliness of it consumes me!

This could be one I would wear to bed, but I couldn't see myself wearing this out in public- just far too sweet!

Something very strange is going on with my chemistry...

Smells wonderful in the imp, smells a lot like Strawberry Moon to me almost.

The first time I tried this it went straight to plastic, just like Dana O'Shee, Alice, and Snow White does to me. I even posted in bpalanonymous on LJ about my woe. Everyone figures it's honey that is doing it to me.

Well then I tried it again last night and it didn't turn plasticky! :P It turned very strawberry which is good because I like strawberry. Now I like it a lot. So I'm keeping it for now and see what happens with it in the future.

Upon first whiff I get a lovely strawberry scent. Not a true strawberry though, but that weird candied strawberry scent you get in a lot of well… candies and cheap LipSmackers chapsticks. This is reminding me a bit of those scented My Little Ponys again. No plastic smell though, just the cheap-y candy strawberry scent.

When I first sniff this, it smells so sickly sweet. Despite that, it doesn't smell like candy, but medicine, because there's a huge oomph of artificiality that you can pick up distinctly from cough syrups. I would say it's mostly honeycomb, strawberry, and sugared pear (emphasis on the sugared part) at this stage. I wait for it to mellow out and lose that artificial note, which takes a few hours. Finally, it grows into my skin, and I can pick up the vanilla bean; there's less honeycomb, and the sweet pea is there to mellow it out and give it a light, wafty sort of feel. It's still sweet, but not so dense, so it's like a pink cloud. I expected to love this scent (vanilla bean? sugared pear?), but it's too sweet and pink for me, even with the more mellow drydown.

I'm reading the other reviews, and reading how everyone got giggly is now making me want to giggle. hehe.

Edited by malanna

This is all strawberry bubblegum on me and I :P it !

After a while the strawberries tone down *just* a little to let more of the vanilla come through.......

I'm sure I look very silly with my wrist stuck to my nose, eyed rolled back and a big smile on my face..........but I just can't help it..... :D

And to me it seems it would compliment Lush's Rockstar soap very well.....and of course I have a big bar of that in the bathroom :D

First Impression: Pink honey.

Dries down to: Stays sweet but turns a bit fruitier and, after a long while, a tinge of plastic pops in and out periodically - fortunately, it's very faint.

Additional Comments: Normally, I'd run as fast as I could away from these notes. Honey, in particular, tends to really amp up on me and can make me gag. BPAL strawberry, likewise, tends to be overwhelming on me. For some reason, though, I can handle this one. The balance just seems to work perfectly. In addition to the obvious honey and strawberry, I can pick out the vanilla. I really like sweet pea and pear; so, although I can't detect them in here, I'm sure they're what's helping to temper this blend and make it tolerable for me. While this will never become a fave, I'll hang on to it for the days when I'm in the mood for something fun and sweet.

Lasted: Quite a few hours.

Rating: 3 out of 5

This is a scrummier version of Pink Moon-like Pink Moon plus vanilla/honey plus a lot of throw! It's long lasting, too- PM disappears from my skin within an hour, so it was awesome to be smelling of Pink Phoenix all day. I was lucky enough to score a bottle from a forumite, and I'm so glad I did. I only wish I'd hoarded Pink Phoenix instead of Red..

In the bottle: In my first sniff all I can smell is Strawberry Bubbalicious, but without it being overly sweet. With my second sniff I can definitely smell the pear.

Wet: All I'm getting is strawberry bubblegum, which isn't a bad thing. It actually reminds me of the first time I ever blew a bubble.

Dry: Sort of like a strawberry powder with a little bit of honey. The pear, sadly, isn't too strong on me, but it is still a great blend.

Overall, the description of the oil describes it best. It is pretty silly. Not an everyday scent, but definitely one I'll wear when I'm feeling pretty grey :P.