Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Snow Moon

In December, the skeletal, ice-rimmed fingers of winter take hold, and the nights are long, chill and dark. The first flurries of snow touch the land, and the earth itself becomes quiet. A scent of purity and silence, soft with falling snow, as dark as Midwinter: an icy flurry over the winter blooms of narcissus, pansy crocus, dahlia, tulip, chrysanthemum and white rose, with a hint of fir and birch.

In the Bottle: Pine trees! Not a strong spruce, and a little sweet.

On Application: Strong pine, but it's not as earthy as juniper. There's a touch of something sweet (berry?), and a touch of peppermint. It's clearing out my sinuses! The peppermint lingers, but it's strong like a peppermint oil; it is instead sweet peppermint, like a candy cane. Almost a cross between a wintergreen and a peppermint, actually. It's cold, definitely a cold scent.

On Drydown: My skin is tingling! The pine scent has faded drastically. There is only a hint of it left. In its place, cold; the sweetest beautiful flowers, covered in ice, shining in moonlight. This is the first scent that's really given me such a strong visual when I smell it. It must be the mint that is coming through. There is just a lingering touch of spice at the end.

Comments: I'm surprised at how well this scent conveys "cold". The pine scent makes it something I don't think I'd ever wear, but it's still very pretty, and I think it would make a good room scent. The visuals it presented, though, intrigued me.

Verdict: I won't go out of my way to get more, but wouldn't be upset if I managed to get it. I'd be curious to see how this works in a room burner.

Snow Moon - Unfortunately, I don’t smell any of the floral in this scent. My skin apparently amps up the fir to the point that it’s all I can smell. It’s got moderate throw and good staying power, but I don’t care for evergreen scents, so I won’t be wearing this one again.

bottle:

evergreen trees

wet:

evergreen trees, hint of white floral

dry:

the evergreen mellows a little but is still there. This is not what I imagined it would be! :P but it will still be nice in the wintertime.

overall:

not what I wanted, but nice in it's own way!

rating: 7/10

The fir and birch are most predominate. It takes a while for those scents to burn off a bit and allow the other ingredients to come through. The florals are very light mixed with the fir and birch. There is a berry smell but not a summer berry. Not sure what it is but it smells nice in the mix. Not a wearable smell for summer but I'll definitely be wearing this once winter hits!

Wet: Pine with stuff! No, Birch with stuff! Hey, what's in this?!

Initial drydown: Pine and Birch with sweet...something. Musk? There seems to be a hint of spice, maybe ginger?

Overall: A soft and sweet pine and birch mixture that's just a hint more birch than pine, so it's more of a 'what's that scent?' smell than 'bathroom cleaner!'. Although, I love pine, so, ya know. I do like this, although I don't wear it a lot.

Oro

Swapped for this, on impulse, with eviltemptressdq. Thanks, love! :P I really don't know what I was thinking, since I hate birch, but hey, maybe it will surprise me!

In the bottle: Pine! And birch! But not too much, just a sort of sweet golden fizz in the background. Maybe some fir, and a touch of something fuzzy-- a light musk or something? There's a cool snowy note, too, and a hint of something floral. It's a good deal like Dublin, only chillier, brighter-- there's a citrus in here, too, I'm sure of it.

Wet: Citrus! And pine and snowy trees and spice-- cinnamon? Sandalwood? Something like that. There's a very faint birch note, but it's not overpowering and I'm having no trouble with it. No florals yet. We'll see if they come out on the drydown.

Dry: .... cool, pine-y, sweet florals and citrus. It's nowhere near as winter-y as I was expecting, but it's very nice nonetheless. It's a little powdery and I'm almost sure there's a white musk in here, too. Beautiful, but not quite what I was expecting... I wanted more of an evergreen, decidedly snowy scent. Nonetheless, I'll hang on to it and ponder.... I'd love to keep an Imp around, but I'm not sure I need a bottle, you know?

[edit] I really don't think I did this justice-- as I wore it, it grew on me. It's a musky, gorgeous, chilly floral-citrus-crisp-forest, and also (I'm almost sure!) a keeper!

Edited by WidgetAlley

In the bottle this is very sweet and crisp. It's very pretty.

I've had it on now for about a half an hour and it's very sweet, and very floral with just a light undertone of the fir. It has really good throw and would probably be an easy scent to overdo. It doesn't take much for this one to make itself known. It's very pretty though. I love the way the florals blend with the tree notes and I like that the fir doesn't come out as smelling like an air freshener.

This was lovely in the imp I got - all soft piney/birchy with floral undertones.

On my skin, something's making this soapyish, and I'm not sure what - it's kind of like pine/fir combined with soap. I think I smelled a Christmas soap that smelled like this once, actually. :P

I'm glad I got to try this one, but it's just not me, as lovely as it is in the imp. It's off to a more appreciative home, who'll love it like it should be loved.

My first 5ml and a purchase I definitely don't regret. Very crisp, cool, clean. In the bottle I smell a lot of pine, evergreen. wintergreen, pepperminty, and a hint of something floral. On my wrist it pretty much stays like that but some powdery freshness blasts through, making not as strong, which is welcoming.

She's a very odd scent because it keeps changing. First I had the image of walking through a snowy forest, surrounded by beautiful pine trees, untouched, silent, cold and lovely. I put my wrist up to my husband, who was sleeping, and he woke right up "mmm, now that smells *good*" :P

It's been a little while since I applied it and it has changed to a softer version, with some floral notes poking through. Carnation? Smells like the first snow of the year, in the early morning, before anyone's walked on it. Silence.

What a beautiful journey this one is. Highly recommended if you can get her into your collection~

Edited by maddi

One of the Lab's "chilly" notes really loathes me. It's in here, giving me a whacking great headache. I can't even comment on the smell because if I sniff too closely, it hurts! V. depressing.

In the bottle: This is very hard to describe. It actually smells sort of spicy to me, yet cold.

Wet on skin: A little bit more floral, now, but still spicy and cool. It's very complex. Something in this smells a bit like cinnamon apples.

Dry on skin: Now I REALLY smell cinnamon apple cider, which is weird because I didn't see that anywhere in the description. Not that I'm complaining, since it smells lovely. It smells like flowers one minute and then the next minute it smells like something I could drink on a cold, frosty morning.

Verdict: So sad I only have this one bottle from eBay. This is something I really, really like. It could work as a perfume scent or as a room scent.

In the vial it smells strongly of fir trees. Gorgeous big trees.

Wet on the skin I can smell something almost aquatic, which while it blends with that glorious fir gives me the image of tons of trees in the middle of winter with heavy snow all over each branch.

On drydown, the scent remains for me and is consistant. This has a looooot of throw and it stays for quite some time. I really love this scent.

This was one of the first LE's that I tried and didn't realize that you really should sniff things in the bottle/imp as well as on your skin. So unfortunately I didn't get any of that lovely pine everyone's talking about!

This was an absolutely beautiful winter scent, but didn't last on me at all so I swapped it off already. It makes me cry when such gorgeous and interesting sounding scents don't work on me! :P

Someday I would love to smell that "cold" note that everyone keeps talking about. On me, any scent described as cold or wet inevitably turns hot and soapy. So does this. Luckily, there are enough other notes in this one to make it workable anyway. It smells like what I imagine a swanky Xmas party from the previous century might have smelled like: elaborate flower arrangements and decorative winter greenery everywhere, with candles burning, and a roaring fire in the fireplace.

In the bottle: Minty cold fir and birch, with a certain spicy sweetness.

Wet: Same as in the bottle, sweet fir and mint, very tingly and cold. I don't get any florals.

Drydown: I get sweet icy mint with a sort of gooey base from the birch. At first I don't get any florals. I'm seriously starting to wonder if this isn't some mislabeled Talvikuu. And then the mint lifts and I get florals that I can't really recognise. I suspect that there's narcissus and rose in there, and something has gone a bit powdery.

Overall: Not at all my thing. It's icy and minty at first, then it dries down to rather soapy indistinct very sweet florals. It smells clean and rather refreshing, but it would be so much better if the flowers actually came out instead of staying a mass of sweet vagueness.

Snow Moon-

In Bottle: Very floral and light.

Wet: Ooh, a strong pine bloom. No, wait--eucalyptus! With a touch of citrus, like orange.

Dry: How pretty this is! The orange turns into orange-cherry, with that light sweet cool note that is just the memory of the eucalytptus. Delicious staying power!

Overall: I really like!

Swapped for an imp of this, fell in love and tracked down a bottle. It's the only Lunacy I've loved so far.

In the imp: Spicy-piney-sweet

On: A blast of pine, almost a deal-breaker in its pungency, but after a few minutes it settles down and a sweet pineapple scent creeps in, mingling nicely with the remains of the pine. I think it might be the chrysanthemum and whatever citrus (grapefruit?) Beth uses as olfactory shorthand for icy. I don't really get too much florals until the end of the drydown, which is good. Lovely, complex, spicier and fruitier than the description implies, and my new favorite cold weather scent. Just goes to show you that you never know what you'll love until you try it.

Edited by bifemmefatale

Okay, when i smelled it in the bottle and first put it on, I thought I was going to hate this like the plague because it smelled like pure citrus. And ya'll know how I feel about oranges... Now, however, I get a kind of general fruitiness. Not really smelling the flowers at all. This is very strange. Not very strong, either, despite its initial overwhelmingness (yes, I know that's not a word)...Overall it's very "eh."

Score: 2 out of 5

Gah! After trying to pry this thing open I've finally got it :D Looks like I've got a defective cap.

Snow Moon is lovley!! This is wintertime in the forest! Specificly the White Mountains in New Hampshire. This is slushy snow draped over pine and balsam fir trees. Gorgeous!

Mmmm. It makes me want Christmas and a warm fire.

As it dries a eucalyptus note comes out. Such a great suprise! :P This is very icy cold and comforting to my New England loving soul.

This isn't something I'd wear as a perfume oil, but would use as a room scent or for making candles. I think this would also smell quite good on a man.

Gah! I keep sniffing my wrist...maybe I would wear this as a perfume oil. Haha....but only in the winter.

A+++ all the way!

In the Imp: Very crisp, clean, sharply snowy.

Wet: Crazy huge evergreen forest covered in a thick blanket of snow; oops! you just stepped on a small patch of berries! This is gorgeous, cool, clean and ultimately very natural smelling.

Dry: As this dries the snowy scent fades off and the evergreens get a bit more prominant. There is also a lurking sweetness I can only assume is the floral bouquet, though it doesn't really come across so much as flowers.

Throw: A very close to the skin scent. To me it is disappointingly so. (Maybe this might have to do with it's age?)

Overall: While I do like this scent, it has three drawbacks. First, it has hardly any sillage at all. I have it on and can't even smell it on me unless I bury my nose in my arm. Second, it is a bit of a one noter. I get no secondary scent profile (or third, or fourth); the snowy part burns off in less than a minute and then it's all greenery and sweetness. Third, it's a lunacy and probably terribly hard to get ahold of (it took me months of buying and swapping to find half an imp).

Rating: +

Edited by Galatea

I didn't know about BPAL when this lunacy came out, but I was able to buy a bottle (I had never tried even an imp of it before, but it was so tempting!) from the lab on Ebay (and the feedback BPTP leaves is so cute!) Yay!

In the bottle: This smells like a snow-covered pine tree. I have no idea what exactly makes it smell like snow or cold, but it does!

Wet: Doesn't change very much from the bottle at first, except perhaps to become a little bit stronger, which is fine by me because it's gorgeous.

Dry: It really opens up as it dries - I still smell the pine, but I think I can smell other woods now too - maybe cedar? It goes from smelling like a snowy pine tree to an entire forest in the snow - some of the undergrowth and winter blooms coming through too, but this never gets too floral or green, it stays cold. Really long-lasting, too, and it doesn't fade or turn weird over time.

This is absolutely beautiful - so glad I took a chance on a bottle!

First sniff: Freezing-cold crunchy-snow piney piney piney. Winter in a vial. And all the flowers that are supposed to be in here are completely swallowed up in pine.

Wearing: Well, now the flowers are showing up, and they’re… soapy. Goldangit! One of these days I’ll find a cold pine scent I can actually wear.

I wrote this review last year and never posted it - just got out my bottle since we had our first snow of the season this week.

First I should probably say that the pine/fir notes are possibly my favorite. Snow Moon goes on a sharp pine with a touch of cold sweetness (the flowers), and dries down into the most lovely floral/pine scent that is almost more fruity than floral. The floral aspect is perfect because it's not "traditionally" floral, not cloying or powdery at all. I can detect the white rose, which is the only one that works for me and one of my favorites (think Dublin).

It's a great substitute for Skadi – in fact I like it better as it’s missing the touch of bitterness Skadi had. The flowers also have a similar vibe to Arkham. Just gorgeous, and makes me happy. Top 10.

Edited by enigmae

First sniff in bottle: Sharp - I think I'm getting the fir and birch scents.

Wet on skin: Sharp with woody notes.

Dry down: Hints of flowers, still mostly woody and sharp.

Dry: It's getting much sweeter. I think it's mostly the narcissus and the rose coming through....And now the sweetness seems to have gone away. Mostly woody and pretty much all fir.

in bottle: fir with something.......sweetish.

On skin, wet: pine, fir, kind of bugging me with a background scent that I can't place.

On skin, dry: slightly sweeter. 2 hours of pine lingering. It's getting kind of pretty but the pine is

On skin, dry, 3 hours later: florals with the barest whisper of fir/pine. reallllllly pretty now and not soapy on me at all! this is something I can wear regularly as long as I get past the pine, because because it's not cleaner-y, it's PINE.