Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Macha

Snow Moon

In December, the skeletal, ice-rimmed fingers of winter take hold, and the nights are long, chill and dark. The first flurries of snow touch the land, and the earth itself becomes quiet. A scent of purity and silence, soft with falling snow, as dark as Midwinter: an icy flurry over the winter blooms of narcissus, pansy crocus, dahlia, tulip, chrysanthemum and white rose, with a hint of fir and birch.

As others have said, this starts out smelling very similar to Ice Queen and Skadi. It has the pine, and the slushy notes, but is without the musk of the former, or the berries of the latter.

It dries very light - still predominately pine, but with a light, floral background. I admit, I had high expectations for Snow Moon, as it has some of my favorite, but not often used, notes - tulip and white rose - but in the end, they're not as strong as I had hoped they'd be. C'est la vie; this does still smell very nice, and I'm hopefully that perhaps the rose and the bulby flowers will come out even more in another hour or so. Edited by Shollin

There are a lot of icy/snowy/piny blends that smell similar on me this year. Talvikuu was menthol and perfumey snow, Snow Bunny was grapefruit and snow on me, Mistletoe is a dark green wonderful chilly snow (my obvious favorite)... and now Snow Moon. Snow Moon, at first on me, was like Snow Bunny, but with orange instead of grapefruit. I'm getting an odd orange citrus and snow mix. Then after a few minutes I think I smell cinnamon candies underneath the orange juice and snow. It seems like it should be similar to Skadi, but I loved Skadi and am not crazy about this :P. Snow Moon also doesn't smell floral on me at all, which is what I was expecting.

After about an hour this has sweetened out quite a bit and lost the sharper citrus edge that I thought I smelled. It's still more like snow and cinnamon candies than it is snow and florals though. My skin chemistry seems to be doing odd things with this one.

Beautiful. It is chill and icy at first, but in no time at all, it sweetens up as the flowers kick in, but it still retains the wintery note I was so hoping for. This is a keeper and it's gorgeous :P

I'll start out by saying I love this, because there's a few moments early on when this is not nice at all.

First sniff - Sweet woods, with citrus.

Swipe - Sweet woods with spices.

Wet - Holy terror of terrors - mentholated sweat. Fresh, tangy, sharp sweaty sweat with some Vicks.

Dry - Clean, slightly sweet and spicy, gentle woods and florals, very cold and fresh. A tiny bit like potporri (berries?). It's a very wearable scent, perfect for the season.

The initial wet stage is very scary - but it passed in under 3 minutes. And the rest of the scent is worth it:

Husband and I were eating toasted nan, and when I put down the plate he thought I had dusted it with cinnamon sugar. Nope, that was just me, lightly sweet and spicy. And about an hour later as we were just watching TV, he took my hand and started kissing it. Not as an advance - he was still watching TV. :P He just was rubbing and kissing my hands. And where do you think I had applied Snow Moon?

Complete winner, again on my top 10. This winter has been really amazing for BPAL.

**ETA** this also makes for an excellent sleep blend. I lost my bottle of Quietude, and have been using this instead. They don;t smell the same, but put me in my peaceful happy place.

Edited by Lit Chick

Snow Moon

In the bottle: very, very similar to Snow Bunny and Skadi-that chilly, icy, sweet berry and slight citrus and menthol/eucalyptus or icy aquatics with a bit of frozen evergreen. It's less tart than Snow Bunny, and not spicy like Skadi-I think this one is floral.

Wet on skin: yup, still Skadi-esque, but with more of an evergreen sharpness now.

Dry on skin: this is lovely. This is darker and more serious in tone than Snow Bunny (this one seems to be 'of the night' whilst SB was more of a 'daytime' scent) and is more or less a twin to Skadi (I find this more similar to Skadi than Talvikuu). It has a strong fir/birch note, along with the cool grapefruit/aquatic/menthol/eucalyptus-y 'snow' notes, but I think I'm getting the floral notes underneath-they are not very strong, it's like flowers encased in ice, the essence frozen and just barely perceptible. The scent is chilly, I'm thinking there may be something like eucalyptus making this scent feel cold and frosty. I'm hoping the floral notes come through more as the scent dries down.

After a while: it's like the ice is thawing. Bits of cool evergreen remain but now I get a lovely soft floral sweetness, like sugar covered petals with something vaguely reminiscent of grapefruit. Apart from rose and perhaps narcissus, I'm not too familiar with the other floral notes and ever so the flowers are so well blended I can't tell them apart or recognise them very well in here, but that's no bad thing. I just wish the rose note were a bit more recognisable but even though I can't pick it out, I love the soft muted frosty floral scent I get here.

Verdict: I was expecting a feminine Talvikuu but this is, to me, 2005's answer to Skadi. It is Snow Bunny's darker, grown up sister- she is quiet, reserved, icily beautiful yet withdrawn whereas SB was youthful, extrovert and jovial. Like Skadi, this scent has the same frozen evergreen with ice (which is a combination of a grapefruit like scent, chilly aquatics, ozone maybe, and perhaps menthol and eucalyptus) with something sweet. But whilst Skadi had berries and spice, Snow Moon has flowers. The floral notes add a sweetness and softness but at first, they are not prominent-it's like they are covered with snow, trapped in an icy covering. They become more noticeable as the snowy notes thaw away gradually, and I get a nice sugary floral scent-I can't pick out each flower because they are very well blended. This is another beautiful winter scent that I am glad to have bought.

In Bottle: Pine and fir

On Skin: This scent reminds me of Skadi and Snowbunny right away. Not Ice Queen though as some people have said. Ice Queen is much more sweet and pretty and the pine is very soft in it, whereas in this one it’s almost pure pine. It smells like a Christmas tree! It’s hard to pick out the other notes with the fir being so dominant. Very cold and icy… it’s name suits it well. As the scent develops, the florals show them selves but still under the blanket of fir. This is the perfect winter scent, I love it as a room fragrance, but as a body scent it is a bit too strong for me. It gave me a headache after about 5 minutes.

Woah there! On my skin the fir amps up to 100% and all I can smell is CHRISTMAS TREEEEEEEEEE!

screaming from my wrist. Underneath is a bit of a teasing orange scent, strange because of the florals in this.

The strong fir scent dominates for a long time, and finally I begin to smell something resembling the florals in here. :>

They are still pale and in the background. I even took a walk with this under the december moon to see if it'd help :P (ok, I was walkiing my dogs)

It might make a good winter room scent, but not for me on my skin!

in the bottle this was cold and chilly, and as soon as it hit my skin it went Wet GREEN, like the pulpy interior of some kind of thickly fleshed leaf. it's a scent i love and one that never lasts.

it faded, true, but into a brighter version of the "girlie perfume" from Snow Bunny. there's the slightest tang of something citrus in here, all wrapped up in cool florals, and the faintest of evergreen. this is a cheerful and active scent. i look forward to wearing it to work, along with my Snow Bunny, to keep me active all day long :P

n.

In the bottle: Another blend that smells like trees. *sigh* That's not a good thing. I was hoping all the floral notes would compensate, but evergreen notes tend to completely take over whatever scent they're in once they hit my skin.

On: Pine/fir and something my nose is interpreting as eucalyptus - I think that's actually the birch. If I sniff long enough, I can just barely catch a hint of something sweet and floral, but it's pretty much overwhelmed by the Pine Trees of Doooom.

Drydown: Lunacies generally do work for me - and I can smell the distinctive "lunar oil smell" underneath the evergreens after a while. As the tree notes get milder, there's an almost dish-soap quality to them - it's not offensive, but also not what I normally want to smell like. If I could just get the fir/birch to calm down a bit, the florals underneath smell sweet and strangely spicy.

I'm mainly disappointed because so many of the winter oils this year have smelled the same on my skin, with subtle differences like "slightly sweeter" or "this time with mint" (and I already had Ice Queen and Skadi). Having this along with Nuclear Winter, Talvikuu and Snow Bunny is a bit too much for someone who's not really into the whole "smelling like a tree" thing.

Snow Moon is very tree-ful, wow. And as others have said, it smells a lot like Skadi, with the addition of lunar oils. Of all the Skadi-ish blends released lately, this one seems the closest to me, as it has a hint of the same 'mulling spices' in Skadi. It's strange, there are a ton of florals in Snow Moon, but I can't really smell them, even on the drydown. The dominant elements for me are the woods and the spices.

This is a good replacement for the lovely Skadi, which I'm almost out of. I'm happy to have a bottle to fill that niche.

The label on the bottle is gorgeous. It makes me wish I'd ordered a Snow Moon t-shirt!

*~* SNOW MOON*~*

I was really excited to try Snow Moon since I had been having a hard time finding the perfect winter scent...

In the bottle: This smells *EXACTLY* what I have been looking for - a cold, Christmas like scent - mmmm!

Wet: Foresty Goodness! This evokes an image of a snowy forest. Wet pine boughs, snow falling with just a hint of sweetness.

Dry down: As this dries down, the sweetness starts to temper the pine and cold, snowy notes. I can still smell them but they blend beautifully to create the perfect winter scent.

Conclusion: Snow Moon is what I have been searching for through all of the previously released Winter/Yule scents - including Ice Queen, Skadi, Snow White and Talvikuu. This is almost a marriage of Snow White and Talvikuu to me.(if I am remembering them correctly) This also seems like a blend that will just get better as it ages - like Snake Oil. I am definitely kicking myself on this one for not ordering 2 or 3 bottles! A definite MUST HAVE!

:P

I didn't order a bottle of this because of the narcissus and other floral notes. I am pretty sure that narcissus is the note that smells like chemical/hairspray/nail polish to me and didn't want to take a chance on yet another Lunacy blend that I'd have to get rid of (I've kept...only four Lunacy blends to date, and I've tried all but one).

But oh hell. It's gorgeous. :D It's actually more like Dublin than Skadi to me, must be the white rose. It's such a ROUND note. So cold, so white and pale pale green. If you liked Dublin or its piney cousin Skadi, oh man, this is for you.

I'm going to be kicking myself over here for awhile. But seriously, between Skadi, Talvikuu and Snow Bunny I think I have enough scents like this even though I love them all. They are all so similar, and just one tiny shade different from one another. The main reason to get all of them would be having all the cool bottle labels. :D

I don't really get the florals from this and I definitely don't get the dreaded narcissus. Just that lovely round succulent white rose (which does not smell 'rosey' really).

I'm never sure whether these are more aquatic, or woody, or slightly fruity, or what -- they're just, erm, snowy. Pale greenery and snow and just a hint of sunlight sparkling on ice. Sigh.

ok i wanted to love skadi but it went wonky. the skadi reviews scared me a bit. i trepiditiously sniffed:

in the bottle:fir, and very skadiesque. oh no i am worried!

wet: fir. strong fresh fir. like when you cut a tree down for xmas and the sap is on you.

as it dries it becomes the most gorgeous. i am thinking it is my favorite lunar oil to date. and trust me i adored milk moon so this is huge. it is sweet, soft, floray, but picking apart the florals has proved fruitless for me. it simply is a floraly boquet backed strongly w/ the fir. and although it definitely isn't listed i am getting something reminecent of sandalwood. it is very odd because i don't detect it when i sniff my wrist yet in the air hovering around me occassionally i will be like wait...sandalwood...then poof it runs off. it is sweet, and wintery, and way more then i had hoped for. i am so so glad it had everything i loved in skadi and yet didn't go haywire. put simply i am a snow moon slatherin whore.

First Impression: Evergreen and wood with flashes of something fruity.

Dries down to: The flowers slowly start to emerge and the woods recede a bit. There's also a chilly edge to this blend. Then, after about fifteen minutes, it all balances out to a beautiful wintry floral with a faint hint of berries and fir.

Additional Comments. I'm not usually a fan of evergreen blends, except to use as a home fragrance, but the florals in this one make it quite nice. This one may see more use than I initially thought.

Lasted: Several Hours.

Rating: 3.5 out of 5

This is another wintery one much like Skadi, Snow Bunny, and Talvikuu. This one smells the most like Skadi.I really do like scents like this; frozen pine, cool yet spicy, sexy and icy; But seriously, how many bottles of frozen pine scent do I need? I'm ready for a snowy scent without frozen pine. This one is indeed lovely, just as my 3 bottles of Skadi, bottle of Snow Bunny, and bottle of Talvikuu are.

After the reviews came in, and I saw a few bottles popping up on the sales/swaps, I got a bit nervous.. I was already skeptical on the evergreen notes, which hasn't done so well in the past on me.

The florals in this definitely soften down the fir, though. This is an extremely well-blended scent of florals and evergreen tang, I can't pick out individual notes. It is wintry, exhilarating, invigorating. It has a long throw and lasts a good 6-8 hours.

Edited by Kittyflop

It's been said - a lot - but this is a lot like Skadi and Talvikku, just without the berry/birch and with a softer sweetness that's very subtle. I actually had to compare it to Talvikku on my other arm to really be able to tell the differences - but compared, they are much different. Talvikku is sharper and more perfumey, Snow Moon is soft and sweet. It's a very nice blend, and while I feel like I have a lot of icy evergreen-y perfumes now, I'm planning on keeping the bottle and just decanting a bit from each so that I don't have *way* more than I could ever use.

If you like the slushy evergreen scent but want something a bit softer and sweeter than the other options, see if you can get your paws on some Snow Moon!

This smells a lot, lot, lot like Skadi to me, to the extent that when I opened it I almost wondered if they were twins.

In the bottle- pine! A very strong and sharp pine, but very nice, clear and pure, like fir trees outside on a cold, snowy night.

On me- this wears very much like Skadi on me. It smells like pine and grapefruit, and possibly a few berries in the background. The pine is definitely the predominant note, though. For most of the duration of its life this scent is mostly pine on me, but towards the end it softens, and I get the slightest hint of light florals- white flowers- with a slight evergreen in the background. That scent is very light, but it's definitely there.

Overall, I really like this scent. I was a bit worried when I ordered it, because I don't do well with "snow" notes, but this is more pine and fruit, and I love Skadi, so this is a nice complement.

sweet and soft.....evergreen and freshly fallen snow.....mixed with a touch of

berries........pretty.........not sure if this is exactly for me or what i had thought

snow moon would consist of..... unique nonetheless........and macha's bottle design

is a tapestry of sheer wonderment.....beeeyouteeeeeeeefull...... :P

This isn't floral on me in the slightest. At first, it's winter trees and snow. Then it quickly turns to a snowy berry scent, which I love. I had no idea that Snow Moon would smell so fruity, glad I ordered it! Lasts a good 6 hours on me, so every time I turn my head I get that chilly berry scent. Yummy!

Holy crap, this is sooooooooo beautiful. It's very slightly floral over fir needles and the gentle scent of wood, and completely slathered in snow flurries. It's just the most beautiful scent.

Ritual disclaimer: I don't get along with piney/astringent/herbal scents. I really hesitated to buy this, but, well, the lunacy set in. :D Plus the label is beautiful.

In the bottle: Holy pine! Very fresh and cold but not astringent.

Wet: Sweet juicy fruity-ness tempers the pine.

Dry: It is still very pungent. Not bitter like Hemlock, though. I am noticing the minty/melon of the other Lunar blends I've tried breaking through.

Later: I smell like fresh pine the next morning. This has saying power plus!

Final words: I swear I don't "get" this scent yet. :P I had a lot of people sniffing me the night I wore it, so it definitely is a head turner. No one but me could smell pine. It certainly wasn't an acrid or Lysol-like pine, but a rich sweetness of a pine forest. Snow Moon is so unusual though, I can't really classify it easily. This one is truly unique.

From the bottle I smell very strong pine.I was alarmed,the description says there is a hint.Well it's a big one.

On my skin,I still smell mostly pine and the birch.I don't smell eucalyptus as many reviewers have,i think it may be the birch.After 45 minutes or so the trees quiet down and the florals come forward.This is actually quite nice as a perfume.Most pine or foresty scents become relegated to room scents only as I enjoy the way they smell,just not ON me.

In the end this is a very beautiful,quiet,soft wintery scent.I like it very much.

This smells exactly like Snow Bunny on me - juniper and berries, and a cold ozone "snow" scent. I can't decide if I really need to keep both bottles because they are identical, but having to decide which one to part with is a tough call!

Huh. This smells exactly like Snow Bunny to me, too--but with less grapefruit (or whatever that sweet citrus note is in SB). It's nice and very wintery, and I adore the label. However, I like SB better, so off to swaps.