Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
ChupaChup

The Hamptons

The scent of a Cosmopolitan cocktail.

i got this in a swap or purchase (i forget) from a forumite in the last few days, and was hoping to give it to my friend because he loves his cosmos...

however, upon opening it, i discover that it suffers from the same Nearly Headless affliction i've been getting from recent orders (at least i know its fresh!) and in trying to take the wand out, i finish the decapitation and now... i'll need to figure out what do do with it.

this isn't a cosmo, so Bobby wouldn't have liked it anyway. this smells like a container of Country Time Limeaid mix. this is creamy and yummy and lime-y and what i wished all the summertime "Lime Margarita" type blends from other etailers had smelled like.
hm. yay for me!
an hour after swiping this on, the scent is still sweet/crisp and true. :P

_____
a year and some odd months later i'm editing this...
the headless imp i had before i wound up mixing into some unscented lotion and using it up rather quickly. i don't think i've had another imp of it since -- until an order i got a few days ago had a frimp of it included.
and this one had the same nearly headlessness problem from last spring!
i'm fairly certain it hasn't been loitering around the lab all this time, it must just be a fluke, but jeez!

luckily i had some of the teenytiny spray bottles handy and poured the preciouss into one (no alcohol or anything, just oil in the sprayer. haven't figured out if i want to make an oil spray or an alcohol spray)

i left the wand and mostly-empty vial here on my desk and there's a lovely scent-cloud wafting around here.
its like lime cotton candy! Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Shock tarts! No, really! This smells like those sour little chewy candy things I used to love when I was little. The cranberry and lime are the tart and the vodka is the shock. :P

Although the Hamptons are a sophisticated kind of place, The Hamptons isn't a terribly sophisticated blend. I can't help thinking of candy. It's like shock tarts, sweet tarts, and sour gummy worms all in one. And although I certainly don't mind smelling like shock tarts (although I am trying to mature in my scent preferences, just a little bit) they don't have much staying power on me. The scent starts to smell flat and loses its tartness, and I have to reapply.

rating: 3/5

The description is perfect. It does smell like a cocktail. Fruity, boozey, delicious. It's bright, uplifting, and fresh. It smells like *wealth*. I really like this one and have applied it twice already

In the bottle: Powdery, sour citrus. It smells very much like Love Hearts.

Wet: A fruity, sour and hypersweet scent... with a hint of salt? Plastic?

Drydown: It comes back to Love Hearts, sweet and very sour, with fake fruity scents, slightly berry and slightly citrusy. It smells so acidic that I have heartburn just sniffing it. After a little while, it becomes sweeter and a little softer. Extreme drydown is, unsurprisingly, cardboard.

Overall: I really dislike the vodka note, which is the same as in Swank - to me, it smells very much like detergent. I'm not a drinker, so I don't know how realistic this scent is, but I think it smells like fizzy powdery candy with lemon and possibly some kind of berry. Not me at all.

The Hamptons is pretty similar to the smell of a cosmopolitan: it was tart, cranberryish, and boozey. Initially I was in love with the way it smelled on me... sourish and fruity, but with a hint of alcohol... a cosmopolitan that was mixed with less alcohol and more fruity stuff (I don't like my drinks strong). However, after about two minutes, the alcohol note really came out and it was almost like feeling I had too much to drink! :P Not a good feeling.

Super fruity, with lots of throw. It did not, unfortunately, feel quite as good as drinking a nice, cool cosmo. But wearing it cheers me up because I feel like there's a fluffy, pink, vodka cloud around me. There's a smidgen of something "hippie" to it, but I like that. :P

straight sniff from imp this smells exactly like 21 did but with a good dose of cranberry...

:D

very mouthwatering and tantilizing; makes me want to take a little sip :P

such a shame it doesn't last nearly long enuff for me :D

The Hamptons-

In Bottle: The lime leaps out at me. That's all I smell.

Wet: Lime and rosemary! Oh, interesting. A little sweet boozy undertone--I don't smell any mustiness that I've come to associate with "boozy" scents, though, nifty!

Dry: A hint of mustiness but only a teeny bit. This is still very lime and booze, and though I only find it interesting at the moment, I could see it becoming an acquired taste. I'll wear it when I want to feel like Jay Gatsby.

Overall: Interesting.

Wet: Oh my gosh, am I supposed to get drunk on this? Booze, sprite and cherry syrup.

Drydown: It fizzles my nose! I get a little bit of citrus, actually – hence the knee-jerk sprite relation, and lots of dry alcohol. I really, really dig this – I’m going to have to give it a demo run in public. If I get accused of being soused in class, well then I know it ain’t such a good idea to wear it out. I am definitely hanging on to my imp, though.

In the imp: first thought: sherbet! A very sugary sweet cranberry-and-lime-and-orange mix with a fizzy edge, to me.

On me, wet: fruit-flavoured marzipan soaked in booze. The booze note is definitely gin-like rather than vodka, to me.

On me, dry: the booze note burns off and I'm left with tooth-achingly sugary lemony sherbet again. Hrm.

Verdict: No, I don't think I want to smell this much like the scrapings from an empty jar of lemon drops.

This smells a little bit like the scent left on your hands after you remove your nail polish and wash them. It also smells like gin, or like what I would imagine gin smells like. It actually smells strangely compelling, but I'm not sure I want to smell like this no matter how much fun it is to sniff.

Hrm... this smells slightly citrussy to me. Is there a citrus in a Cosmo? I think I'm also getting a faint whiff of a berry-like note. This is a pretty fresh blend... very bright and pick-me-up-ish. Definitely keeping this imp around for the long-haul.

Whew. I love drinking cosmos and other cranberry drinks, so I was definitely curious about this one.

In the bottle it smells like a very sweet cranberry juice cocktail. Like if you made Ocean Spray into syrup.

When it goes in me, the cranberry stays, and the alcohol comes out big time... but it stays very sweet. With the sweetness and the booziness together, I'm a little nervous about this one... but there are definitely times when I'd wear it.

Upon first application my thought was "Swank? Is that you?". The two are SO similar and I love both. The Hamptons has slightly better staying power on me but both are so crisp and fruity with that boozy undertone. Bottle!!

The first impression I receive is alcohol -- not perfume alcohol, but something tart that belongs in a drink. Once it’s on my wrist, it layers out nicely. It’s... not a citrusy smell, quite, but something edible all the same, while not being “foody”. It’s a clear, precise scent.

Trying to pick out individual notes, I sense lime and other fruit, but... well, frankly, the lab description has it: it smells like a cocktail. The alcohol is muting out on my skin, but all the appropriate flavors remain. I really like this scent, truth be told, and I hope it doesn’t metamorphose.

Regrettably, The Hamptons denatured in a chemical fashion after a few hours, smelling less like the initial cocktail fragrance and more like sour lemon with a metallic streak. Still, I enjoyed it while it lasted.

In the bottle - Cherry coke, with a very slight backing of marzipan :P

Wet on me - Soft and powdery orange peel and almonds

Dry on me - Berryish sweet with a dry reminder of pith drying to an almost airy musk

Overall - I like this alot, it's unusual in it's dryness, I'm not certain if I'd wear it much though

In bottle: Tart and effervescent. Pine.

Wet and drying down: Pretty much the same except less pine. Very similar to twenty one. It's a little too sour for my taste.

Dry: Kind of sharp and sour. A little fruitiness. Not for me.

Edited by oh_the_horror

Wow, alcohol. Lime and alcohol and a hint of something sweet. Yow! I've never had a Cosmopolitan before, but this certain packs a punch. There's something evergreen in the background as well, which is lovely. Over time, this mellows into a sweet piney scent, which I prefer over the booziness of early on.

Wow, this is spot on! I had no idea that bpal made a fragrence like this so imagine my surprise when I received this as a frimp. I have fond memories as Cosmos because when I first turned 21, that was my drink of choice. And boy does this scent have it spot on! The fruityness with a clear alcohal twinge, I can't say which berry is in it but it feels like raspberry, cherry and some orange! The scent fades over time but it's very refreshing. A good scent for the summer time but I wish it would of stayed longer.

The Hamptons

In the imp: a very sharp citrus scent. It reminds me slightly of the lemon cleaner I use to dust the house…but also of a smart cocktail, or pink lemonade.

Wet on skin: what the? Cherries? I get a bitter almond/cherry scent appearing in the lime-cranberry scent now. Very odd.

Dry: this is weird. It smells like a fresh cocktail made predominantly with lime, a hint of cranberry too, something sharp and clear and boozy…but I smell cherry pipe tobacco. Like a hint of Herr Drosselmeyer zipping through here. It may be a weird skin thing because this seems to fade away a minute later, leaving a very sharp, crystalline scent of sour fruit. This is Swank’s sister, it has that same feel, only instead of pomegranates, there’s cranberry and lime. It also reminds me of those alcoholic fizzy drinks-at least this does smell more like a cocktail for the time being, with a ‘clear booze’ note to it, like vodka or gin.

After a while: this smells more like a G&T now, with a bigger hit of lime. It’s the gin scent from Twenty One with an added fruity tang.

And then it morphs into pink lemonade! Or, more accurately, pink lemonade cut with gin. It reminds me of Snow Angel, but grown up and more boozy. However, like Swank, it does have that smell of those sour sweets and fruit candles that I disliked from that scent, only a little bit less acidic. Here there’s a sugar note counteracts the sourness-it’s very much like Treat #1’s lemonade sherbet scent. There’s a bitter juniper note at the base of this, which stops the scent becoming too girly and pink.

Verdict: stupid non-scents-ical thought first. Every time I see ‘The Hamptons’ I think of that title appearing against a cloudy blue sky (and a famous theme tune starting to play), and then zooming towards a cartoon version of the luxury seaside pads of the rich and famous…you get my drift. Anyway. I’ve never drunk a cosmo before, but this smells like ‘alcopop’. Yup, it’s the smell of a student union night, what’s missing is the stink of cigarettes, cheap perfume and vomit (thank goodness), it’s fruity boozy drinks. Then it morphs into something a little more sophisticated, a gin and tonic scent which is like 21, but heavier on the citrus, you can smell the lime here. And then it turns to booze-spiked, heavily sugared pink lemonade. It certainly smells like a flashy cocktail at some points, but at other times it smells like artificially flavoured sweets with that sour stuff sprinkled all over them. This scent is conflicting to me-at times I like it and think it would be a good replacement for Treat #1 when I run out, but I don’t like the ‘sour sweets’ and artificial fruitiness I get at other times. I do like this more than Swank, but I think I’ll swap my imp. As alcoholic scents go, I think the wine scents work best on me, and maybe some rum/bourbon scents, or scents which have a booze component with lots of other notes, but not many of the ‘pure cocktail’ blends seem to be working on me.

Emoticon rating: :P

Is it a keeper? No.

If you like this, try: Swank, Twenty One, Absinthe, F5

This is very sweet and fruity. It smells like those candy fruit slices with a dusting of sugar on them, the lime and berry ones. I don't really get a boozy note from this at all, just a candied lime sweetness. After a while, the real scent of cranberry comes out, reminding me of jellied cranberry sauce with orange peel on top. After a while it becomes a sparkly lime, cranberry drink...it smells fizzy. It really does remind me of a cosmo, and this is a very refreshing scent good for the hot days of summer. I might buy a bottle. :P

I keep trying to find an alcohol scent that works on my skin chemistry.

This really does smell like a Cosmopolitan. It's light, fresh, boozy and breezy. However, it shares the same base as Twenty-One does and I think I detect a gin-like note. Perhaps its the alcoholic note... or the gin-like one but there is something that keeps me from loving the Hamptons. I like this much better than Twenty-One which inspires me to keep trying the alcoholic scents in search of the one that will work for me.

A girl can dream, right? :P

Verdict: First, hats off to the Lab for creating a perfume that smells like a Cosmopolitan tastes. Apparently however, I should neither wear nor drink Cosmos... or so my body is telling me.

It really does smell light, freshy, breezy and wealthy. Like the kind of girl that shops at Barney's, has gone to a finishing school, and whose parents have a summer home in the Hamptons. Effortlessly elegant, well-dressed and very chatty.

Wet on skin: At first, it's all pure alcohol on my skin. Sexy in that scientific way.

Dry down: Berries: cranberry and juniper. Both scents that my skin promptly amps to "almost drank so many of these cosmos that I'm going to hurl!" sweet.

The scent is very true and very interesting. Unfortunately, I am learning that my skin turns berries into berry bombs!

Mmmm, in the bottle this scent smells just like a perfectly-made Cosmopolitan--cranberry, citrus, and slightly boozy. As others have said, it's sparkly.

But when it contacts my skin the alcohol scent disappears completely. I'm left with lime-cranberry with a faint soapy juniper undertone. It's very cool and refreshing, perfect for spring and summer. I was afraid the boozy note would be off-putting, but since it disappears on me, no worries.

After drydown, the scent is the same on me, lime-cranberry with soapy juniper underneath. It's also somehow reminiscent of Sweet-Tarts.

Unfortunately, the scent only lasts about two hours on me.

Verdict: keep the imp and test again. Maybe add a few drops to lotion to layer and see if that helps with longevity.