Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Jazz Funeral

Bittersweet bay rum, bourbon, and a host of funeral flowers with a touch of graveyard dirt, magnolia and Spanish Moss.

Floral-magnolia(?) very strong at first, then fading. I really didn't get the alcohol other reviewers had. The moss note is more prominent on me in dry-down.

In the imp: Booze first, moss and dirt next, followed by mixed flowers. 

On my skin:

Wet, the rum rises to the top of the blend on my skin, followed by a dirt note that immediately gets lost as it's drying. Once dry, however, the dirt note reemerges, though the spiced rum is the most pronounced note. Additionally, the dirt note isn't harsh to my nose, so I'm guessing that I'm "sensing" some of the flowers in the blend even if I can't pick them out as individual notes. 

About a half hour in, while the rum still dominates, there is no trace of the sharper, "fumier" aspects of alcohol spirits. It's the rich, mellow, faintly spicy and faintly sweet parts of bay rum. The soil note is still prominent, but I'm now able to pick out a floral note -- maybe lily, and maybe magnolia?

However, after another hour, the florals also fade, and it's once again rummy dirt -- which is one of the nicest dirt notes I've tried so far, but I'm still not sure if I want to smell like rummy dirt. 

Low to medium throw. Not sure I'm going to keep this on my arm long enough to test the wear length (but it's not super short). 

Wet: Lime. STRONG lime. Some bay rum in the background, but really just a lot of lime. (... I'm aware it's not a note listed, but it really smells like lime.)

Dry: Oh no, where did the lime go!? There's just a super faint bay rum scent now. It's pretty clean smelling; not getting any dirt or moss notes.

Jazz Funeral starts off with some fruity florals and dirt accord, before heading off into mossy territory with a sweet fruit floral note which may be the magnolia. It's really quite pleasant overall. At the fade down none of the dirt and moss remain, leaving a fig-like, creamy vanilla blend which is lovely and fresh. I really didn't notice the bay rum or bourbon in this, and it doesn't end very green on me either.

I'll probably wear it more often if it was mostly the fade down part, and had a stronger throw, but perhaps I'll be keeping the imp after all.

This one has never been on my radar due to multiple mentions of florals in the description, but I've been getting a lot of fruity-floral samples from various houses lately and getting along reasonably well with most of them, so when this showed up as a frimp with my TLU bottles I actually got a bit excited!

None of the booze shows up on me, nor does the moss really have much presence; it's all sweet dirt and clean, fruity florals. It dries down less fruity and a bit more floral, but not so much that I feel the need to scrub. It's gone entirely after a couple hours anyway (though the current heat wave may be affecting it) so it's not a big deal. The dirt note is what really makes this move from "meh, swap" to "oh, this'll be nice for special occasions!" BPAL's dirt note is absolutely my favorite of any house, it makes everything better IMO, and in this case adds a sophisticated edge to the otherwise-generic florals. Tucking the imp away for the next time I'm going somewhere where I need to make a good first impression. Thanks, labbies!

wet: oh sNAP.  bay rum, magnolia, moss. peppery and booze-y with an undercurrent of strong aftershave. little bit lemony. 
drydown: bay rum and magnolia. intoxicating, complex without blowing up my sinuses, just the right amount of citrus to feel fresh.
verdict: a few hours in and it's still as strong and heady as ever. i really like this. honestly, i'm typically kinda "meh" about trying New Orleans-y scents because i live here (i don't know why that's a thing with me, but it is). but this scent kinda turned my attitude around on that. 

Boozy flowers, moss, and loam. Lemons and spice somewhere in there. Nice, but underwhelming given the praise I've heard of it.