Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Jazz Funeral

Bittersweet bay rum, bourbon, and a host of funeral flowers with a touch of graveyard dirt, magnolia and Spanish Moss.

This one was interesting. It was basically a white floral bouquet with a splash of rum. It was pretty, quiet, solemn. Very thoughtful. Interesting.

A frimp! I had never considered this for myself because the notes didn't sound like something I'd like - dirt and booze tend to be dealbreakers. In this, I can smell the dirt on immediate application, but it's quickly relegated to the background behind the flowers. I can still tell it's there, but it's not *dirty* -- nor is it boozy. Booze oftentimes goes really sour on me, but so far this comes off as a bitter floral, which is actually kinda cool. I don't think this is going to be a bottle purchase, but I'm definitely going to enjoy the imp from time to time.

Ugh--this smells like bourbon and magnolias with moss crawling around underneath. Not a good blend on me since the flowers are turning to soap. I do love the concept though.

I really like this. A lot. Wow.

Sadly, I'm not getting the bay rum and boubon, but the magnolia, moss, and a bit of the dirt combine to create a really gorgeous scent.

I NEED a bottle!

ETA: I tried this again and I'm getting some of the bay rum and something very salty, as hough there is a breeze coming off the ocean. Love it!

Edited by Femme_Fatale

In the imp: Dirt with a bit if sweetness underneath. I don't like soil scents, but I'll give this a try.

Wet: Soil and sweet.

Dry: No soil to be found at all! Yay! It fades really quickly too! This seems like it's very complex, but it's not. I definitely smell the crisp fresh growing Magnolia and definitely smell the bourbon. That's about it. And I thought I wasn't going to like the alcohol in it. I like it because it doesn't actually smell like alcohol, but like bourbon would smell without the alcohol in it.

Overall: This was a pleasant surprise. I like it! Sweet and floral. It has amazing throw, and it lasts long. :P

In the imp, this was sweet and slightly spicy, with alcoholic tones. Interesting, but not sure I'd like it. Wet on the skin this was pure dirt. Dark and sharp, wet earth. Almost immediately, it began to dry down into something sweet, spicy, slightly alcoholic with a bit of flowers. Dry on the skin, this has become something lovely and completely unexpected. It's floral without being cloying, alcoholic without being sharp, and the faint whiff of fresh dirt is buried somewhere deep in the scent.

This fragrance does not seem heavy or overpowering, the flowers give this a fresh sweet scent, while the underlying booze and dirt make it memorable. I need to stop finding things that work so well on me, I'm afraid this must may be another 5ml bottle I NEED to buy.

I wanted to cry after trying this because I had been looking forward to this scent so much, it literally broke my heart. I wanted to get the boozy earthy goodness with just a hint of floral that everyone else seems to get. :P What I actually got? Flowers... and that's it. I got no boozy notes, no earthy notes. I got magnolia and flowers with a hint of greenery. So sad :D

Going on, Jazz Funeral smelled fruity to me, almost like bananas. (Odd, isn't it? I must have weird skin chemistry--that or a weird nose!) Along with the bananas, I smelled something spicy--was that cinnamon?

Yes, it was! For an hour the cinnamon amped happily, until I swear I had a delectable feast of spiced banana bread on my wrists. Crazy!

Then, after that hour, the cinnamon started to calm down. It began to smell clean... a scent I associate with bay rum and moss. Then a short interval of sour/sharp bitterness happened...

And once again I could smell a little banana bread, in the drydown! Only now it was covered by a distinct scent of lilies. I don't know where they'd been hiding before this, but they eventually made themselves known in the final stages of the Jazz Funeral.

in the imp: this smells sweet and sour feet? oh and dirt, flowers and feet. ugg...wow, the florals are reminding me of this avon perfume my mom wears. headache...ouchy

I am so disappointed. I was sure I would love this, but it smells like cough syrup and dirt on me. It gave me that nauseated headache, and I had to wash it off. I literally only pressed the imp against my skin, turned it upside down, then right side up again and rubbed my wrists together - a very small amount, and it was still too much for me (way too much).

This is my first real BPAL experience, and I wonder, are they all this overpowering?? I am a big fan of FRESH fragrances (Fig Apricot, etc.) but I wanted something new ~ and this just isn't it :P

hm, interesting!!! Exactly as described.... I can smell the dirt, flowers, and rum. Not my signature scent by any means, but a lovely, complex scent.

This was a lab frimp. It went on lemony and faded to that medicinal smell that moss tends to do to me. Grr.

I think I'll be trying this on my husband. Something tells me the bay rum could work on him.

Imp: LOAM. LOAMY LOAMY LOAMY LOAMY LOAM LOAM LOAM!!! And a bit of wine. Wine?

Wet: More loam. More strong, dirty loam. And it's cut by a sweet winey smell. I check my imp to make sure it's not Nosferatu. It's not. But right now this smells a lot like Nosferatu on me, if not a little less intense version. The loam is so dry smelling it makes my tongue curl. It's really contrasting with the sweet winey scent. I get a hint of florals coming through--maybe magnolia and jasmine?

Dry: Jazz funeral calms down nicely. I still get a hint of that dry loamy smell, but the florals have sweetened considerably and the bay rum and bourbon add an amazing smoky spiciness to this. It's a bit dirty and woody. I like it.

Throw: Strong.

Overall: An interesting experience. I'm not a fan of the drydown so I can't see ever needing more than an imp. An unusual and fun dirt scent.

I really liked this one. It smells like Graveyard Dirt with a layer of cinnamon and fruit. I don't really get any bourbon or floral out of it. It sorta reminds me of the holiday season.

In the vial: Oh no. This is the dirt note that smells like mildew to me. Tons of people love it, but I can't stand it. Do I dare put it on? Why not.

Wet: the dirt note from before with water, and some kind of spices, and fruit?

Drydown: Anyone who likes Penny Dreadful or Zombi should give this a try. It centers around the same dirt note. Although it is more wet and mossy than dirty, I think. It doesn't remind me as strongly of mildew and it is interesting. Also reminds me of Singing Moon and slightly of Shanghi Tunnel. I'm guessing they share some notes with it. Go to the catacombs and bring some spiced fruit with you.

A sister scent to Ol' Roswell Cemetery...the same wet, metallic soil scent, but with different florals and that...IS that fruit? Fruity spiced bread, that's what it smells like. Surprisingly complex and I like it, although I can't imagine wearing it often.

guess what jazz funeral? i wanted to like you and um you're definately going on the wishlist.

im picking up cinnamon and and rum...with flowers, is that carnation? magnolias? man im a sucker for funeral flowers. maybe its MORBID CURIOUSITY, sue me.

Edited by magikalbrownies

Ok, I don't like flowers, moss usually smells soapy on me, and I didn't think I liked dirt. But this? This totally changes my mind.

This was far more understated than I had expected. It starts out beautifully, rum and soft flowers, deliciously sweet, wonderful flowers that are nothing like the weirdly scented funereal flowers I've ever witnessed. A short while after application the rum gets spicy, almost cinnamony. This is an incredibly gorgeous blend, but it's so very faint and close to the skin. But gorgeous. Even considering the occasional waft of almost-banana that I get now and again (do banana plants flower? Could this be some sort of mythical banana blossom? I'm not complaining. It's oddly beautiful.) After about a half hour I start getting the dirt note, and I never thought I'd think of dirt as beautiful, but this is, slightly dry, overlaid with so many lovely flowers, and I might be getting just a little bit of the moss, up in the cool branches of the trees overhead.

Unfortunately, lovely as it is, this is a very faint one, and my body eats scent too quickly to really showcase this beauty.

I wasn't too sure about this, or the concept of dirt in a scent, but I thought I'd give it a whirl. Oh man, I'm glad I did. At first it was overwhelmingly alcoholic (and bear with me because my nose can't pick out individual notes yet) but now that it's dry it's mellowed to rummy, spicy goodness on me. The funeral flowers are just peeking out through the rum, which is great because strong florals don't really work on me. I keep getting little eddies of different notes through the main body of this. Definately going to buy a bottle... or eight. :heart:

ETA: most of the rum has died away and I think I've been left with the dirt and some dried, scattered flowers. Gah, I love this. Every stage of it is so, so pretty.

Edited by Charlene

I get a white floral, which must be the magnolias, with an underlying dirt that is more fresh than dirty. Although its not something I immediately loved, I find myself sniffing my wrist over and over again. The extra spin on what would otherwise be a plain floral is really interesting! This is a surprisingly "warm" scent, and very attractive.

EDIT: This dries down to a white floral, slightly sticky, not in a bad way, but like younger flowers that still have sap in their stems. Moss and dirt give it a slightly smoky air as well.

Edited by delighted

Initial unsniffed impression: I love New Orleans culture and customs, so I really hope to like this. I'm expecting something dark yet alive and full of meaning. I'm nervous that this might me too earthy.

In the Imp: Wet dirt with a bit of sparkle and sunlight.

Wet on skin: Still getting wet dirt here, but it's not too earthy, more vibrant and fresh and alive. Dirt with a touch of booze, softerned by flowers.

Drydown: Fresh earth. A park after the rain. Dirt, but sweet, wet dirt.

Overall: It's dirt and soil, but with a romance to it, and the kinds of fresh flowers that I love. It's also got an underlying bit of spiciness that makes it a bit creamier than most dirt and soil blends. However, it is a dirt blend and although it is a really nice dirt blend, it's still a dirt blend and just doesn't feel like something I can wear a lot. I am very happy to have my imp, but won't need a full bottle. Jazz Funeral is a pleasant scent that truly exemplifies it's namesake.

This is stunning.

I can smell magnolia, a bare touch of the trademark graveyard dirt and moss, all seperate, but blending together so very well and so beautifully.

Its an upbeat scent, not very funeral at all I think.

Something that would be good for every day wear.

Winner!

Jazz Funeral is something I've been waffling on ordering for quite some time. I'm intrigued by the idea, but unsure of the notes. The graveyard dirt is very apparent in the imp. On the skin, it's moss and dirt and magnolia. Dries down to light floral with a hint of booze.

Fresh on my skin it smells a little boozy, a little cologne-y. But then it opens up and becomes a very green scent. And then the magnolia blossoms and becomes something heavenly, tempered by a touch of earthiness which I guess is the moss and graveyard dirt, though I don't smell either of those on their own. Now and then I get a whiff of the booze, though it's more like booze that has dried on the table and left a residue than a fresh shot of rum.

In the imp, this smells like booze, dirt, and flowers.

On my skin, I get mostly booze.... I can pick out the bourbon and the rum separately, with a hint of dirt and magnolia.

As it dries down, I get a little more moss and those flowers start to come through. The dirt gets stronger and the booze notes stay true.

This gets slightly greener and more floral as it dries, but the dirt and alcohol never totally go away. Truth be told, it smells like drunk shenanigans in a graveyard on a humid night, and I totally love it.

It stays close. The first few times I wore it, it faded quickly, but I found that if I put on unscented lotion first and let it soak in, it last much longer.

I'm from New Orleans, and this is as close to a signature scent as I've ever found... it smells like South Louisiana (in a good way!).

*edited because I couldn't match my verb tenses :blush:

Edited by RachelElizabeth