Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Jazz Funeral

Bittersweet bay rum, bourbon, and a host of funeral flowers with a touch of graveyard dirt, magnolia and Spanish Moss.

this is a really interesting scent, it makes me think of a flower garden after the rain. to me it smells like flowers, and fresh soil, with a hint of spice underneath

I can smell all of the notes very distinctly in this one. The alcoholic smell is sweeter than I expected from the description. The dirt note to me is quite buried (haha, no pun intended) while still being evident, so if you like the dirt smell without wanting too much of it, this would be one to try. The flowers are nice, without being overpowering.

I might not buy a bottle, but the imp is a keeper. Very nice, and definitely evocative of its namesake.

I would rate this as a unisex-leaning-toward-masculine scent.

This is a complex scent in the vial with greens and florals mixed together, and an almost bubblegum like sweetness. On my skin, the green scent ramps up above the sweet floral which has become deeper; the green fades after a little while but it is still there amongst a deep sweetness. It eventually settles down to a sweet, powdery green scent.

Imp: fruity floral

Wet: Wet floral; lush, with hints of something sharp and green. Watermelon candy(?) and a hint of soil.

Dry: really nice ladies' perfume and dirt(or is that pepper?).

This scent is summery and humid; very nice, and it has an interesting morph.

This was my first encounter with BPALs dirt note. Immediately upon sniffing the vial I went "I know that smell!" and dirt wasn't it. It's a particularly astringent note that gets in my nose and files away at my sinus with a metal rasp. It's related to Carrot Seed or Queen Annes Lace, and has that same screaming celery tone to it. My guess is the dirt note is some kind of moss mixed with Daucas Carota. Sadly that's all I can smell of Jazz Funeral.

It doesn't remind me of dirt at all, it's very sour and unfortunately brings to mind the one horrifying incident of my life. After it dries down completely there is a sickly sweetness that also smells of spice which also has unpleasant memories attached to it. But I must say totally apt for the name of this scent.

Glad I tried it. Dirt to me is much more mellow, wet and somehow wholesome. BPALs dirt is a note I must avoid like the plague.

I did get the bay rum for a time, but this was a big ol' bunch of flowers just as I feared. Slightly spicy flowers, at least. To the swaps!

This is a strange scent...in a good way! In the bottle it smell just like a fresh floral...but on, wow! I get alot of the moss, a soft bit on booze and a light almost flavored cigar smoke with a hint of flowers in the background. Very pretty and very complex. When I first read the ingredients, I was afraid about the tobacco being overwhelming, but it plays beautifully on the other notes. This really does smell like what I could imagine a Southern funeral smelling like. I got this only as an imp but I feel as if I need a whole bottle of this now. Not overwhelming or offensive but still carries a scent.

This is already quite fascinating in the imp - much livelier and sweeter than I would have expected. The first thing that hits me is a green blast of moss and decaying vegetation, then big, bold, humid blooms and finally the sweet sharpness of the booze. I can taste the bourbon at the back of my throat when I exhale.

All of this combined smells much nicer and more joyful than it sounds, but I have absolutely no idea what direction is scent is going to go on me.

Wet on my skin: RUM! Rum and moss. A strange combination, but not unpleasant. The bourbon and florals return, amping the sweetness again and making the whole thing surprisingly perfumy, with an appealing spiciness to it. I am not getting much dirt, either that or it agrees with my skin much better than I thought it would.

As Jazz Funeral dries down, something citrussy comes to the forefront. If I didn't have the notes, I would guess there's a drop of lemon in here, but it may just be the flower + moss + spice that my nose interprets as lemon.

This is such an interesting scent! It's not my style, but I can't seem to stop sniffing it. To me it has the same feel as an aquatic, yet it's not watery. I probably wouldn't wear it much, but I am really glad I got to try it as it's one of those "journey in a vial" type of blends. Well done Lab! :clap:

Hmm.

Wet: A strong boozy aquatic.

Drying: The booze settles down as the other notes emerge. I suppose the cool 'water' scent I'm getting is the moss. Its really lovely. I can *just* detect a hint of flowers but my chemistry doesn't really bring them out.

Dry: Too much dirt :( This really does smell like a rich, fertile garden after the rain but its a tad too masculine and gritty for me. Reminds me of planting moon without the tomato.

In the Imp: Beets, dirt, and flowers

Wet on Skin: lemony

While Drying: very lemony

After a Little While: base note is definitely dirt; smelling some sort of floral; powerful throw, increasing floral notes

Later: mostly bay rum at end

Final Thoughts: I like this more in concept that in actuality. I prefer the way it smells on my friend. (Note: the imp I tried was quite old. I may need to try this again with a fresh batch to compare).

Jazz Funeral earns a 3.5/5 on my skin.

i didn't do a skin test because i apparently lost my mind for a minute but this is one of the best imp scents that i've come across. it's subdued florals (but not weak. definitely not weak) surrounded by rain and dirt and rum.

honestly, this reminds me of what a good alter should smell like. it smells like offerings to santa muerte or hecate or another of the cross roads deities. it's definitely a death scent, but it's the type of scents that reminds you that death shouldn't be feared because it's too powerful and there's no point of fearing it.

it's beautiful, and i will be getting my hands on my own imp.

edited to add: this is also the first dirt note that i recognized instantly as dirt in the vial. i hadn't found a blend with a dirt note that actually smelled like dirt to me before.

Edited by starfish327

This smells like a warm citrus alcoholic drink with hints of baby powder and something slightly floral.

A bit too powdery/floral for my liking but still a pretty scent. Very sophisticated.

This is less boozy than I expected. Bit of an initial let down. After I was over pouting about it, I was ok. This review stinks a bit because there's a squirrel outside my window staring at me. What a creeper! Distracting!! hahaha

anyways, it's smells like dirt and flowers more than expected. Slight cologne backing. This has that saccharine sweetness that makes me salivate a bit. I'll have to put this one aside for a while and try again.

This one started off boozy but ended up smelling very herbal/green much like Dirty, which is really not my style. I was hoping to get the magnolia at some point, but it never appeared. :(

Dirt notes seem to really amp on my skin, that's all I got for the first minute or two. But after that, it dried down into a nice cosy scent... it felt kinda like getting a cuddle from a cigar smoker in a tweed blazer. Comforting and vaguely spicy... unfortunately it didn't take long to disappear.

I'm in love.

I think this is one of the first that I've tried that has such a metamorphosis where I actually like each stage. I cannot quit smelling my wrist!

I get something warm and spicy at the start, not quite cinnamon, but close and extremely pleasant. Gradually (and beautifully) it gets a bit cooler, until I have something greenish and vaguely floral, with kind of a hint of ozone. This part reminds me of my favorite bits of Bayou and Lightning, but it's fresher than the former and more complex than the latter. This is a really gorgeous blend.

I think I'll be picking up a bottle with my next order!

Every time I open this bottle the first whiff I get smells like a diaper pail - a mix of urine soaked diapers and disgusting scented wipes. If I leave the lid off and then sniff again it smells kind of like a spiced floral. I haven't had the courage to actually put it on yet, but here goes.

On my wrist wet - getting the diaper pail again, but the florals are stronger. Now the diapers are gone and it's all floral. That was quick. There's something sharp that's smacking me in the nose, a high pitched almost metallic feeling. Hmm... now I'm starting to really enjoy this scent. The spices are reminding me of carnation but often when I encounter carnation it's paired with something heavy or super sweet, but that's not the case here at all and it works a lot better for me this way.

On the dry down - I can see how there's almost a hint of ozone or soap here, but it's more of a feeling than a real presence. It's keeping this floral blend from going overboard and I appreciate it. Hmmm... I think I'm now getting the dirt people are talking about. It's not dirt in the sense of how I actually smell real dirt, but this is what I've smelled in other blends that list dirt as a note... similar metallic dirt note as in Yorick perhaps? Seems to be sitting here at the dirt note for a while. Still a little floral spice in the background but not overpowering.

After a while it softens up, mellows out and returns to soft carnations - with a mild metallic tang.

Very interesting how a blend that starts off so very, very wrong in the bottle ends up so nice. I like it quite well and I'll be hanging onto my bottle.

edit~ I just looked over the notes and realized I don't interpret this scent as boozey at all, and that was probably what made me buy the bottle. Oh well.

Edited by strahlend

When I first put it on, I thought of candy. You know that ribbon candy they sell at Christmas? It's a little like that. Spicy and sweet at the same time.

A few hours later, the sweetness has died down a little and... oh, hello there, old lady perfume. Where did you come from? You are strangely charming in a vintage sort of way. That's got to be the magnolia coming through, right? I've lived in the northeast my whole life so I haven't the slightest clue what an actual magnolia smells like, but I bet it's a lot like this. Just on the flowery side of powdery, with a rich undertone that I assume is the booze. If it were just a tad sweeter, it would be awful, but as it is, it's really kind of nice. I get an old-timey flapper girl vibe from it. I may need a bottle of this.

In the bottle: Bitter dirt. Really -- bitter dirt.

On, wet: Even more bitter than in the imp. The bitterness sort of reminds me of a mouthful of unsweetened chocolate, or maybe that bitterness you sometimes get with blackberries. I'm not at all sure I'm going to like this one.

Drydown: The bitterness fades, and turns to dry earth. Eventually after about an hour, the earthy scent turns to a dark floral. The description says magnolia, although I get something far less sweet than magnolia -- perhaps a very dark version of it.

I love this way this one dried down and developed, and I'm glad it was included as a frimp, as I probably would have passed it by, thinking it wasn't for me. I started out thinking there was no way I was going to like it, but I loved it by the end of the drydown. The best part was how it took its time revealing itself -- intense bitterness, followed by earth, followed by gentle dark flowers. It really is like a funeral and the ensuing mourning. Gorgeous.

I'm happy I finally received an imp of this to try. I love dirt, moss, bourbon and bay rum, but not florals.

In the imp, it's delicious dirt and Spanish moss! They fade once it's on my skin, and the bay rum and bourbon come out sweet and smooth. Some decaying florals make an appearance, and while they aren't headache-inducing I'm still not a fan of how heavy they become. Later, it dries down to sweetgrass and rum. It's a very interesting blend and I love how many changes the scent goes through.

ITB: I get sweet bourbon, some light flowery notes, and a little rum rounding it out. This is my first boozy scent and I'm interested in how this will change on my wrist, although I wouldn't mind if it stays the same as ITB.

Wet. Sweet flowers, bay rum, and a bit of a green scent very faintly behind it all. IT's a little like spice drops sitting next to a heady vase of flowers.

Dry: The bourbon has come back to the forefront, but is topped by the magnolia and a bit of moss and dirt. IT's a little strong, but the last time I tried it, it only got better the longer I wore it.

I received this as a frimp from the Lab.

Jazz Funeral is all booze immediately upon touching my skin. I've never been good at differentiating kinds, as I really only drink tequila and vodka, so I'll just leave it at sweet booze. As it dries down, I can smell the dirt as well. Jazz Funeral is giving me the impression of a freshly dug grave that someone poured booze on in remembrance of the departed spirit. I start to get sweet florals on the drydown as well - definitely magnolia. This scent is very evocative of its inspiration. Dirt and floral scents aren't really my thing, but this would be gorgeous on someone who loves them.

first impression; a very masculine, cologne-y scent(!). the boy, however, disagreed, and after a little while i concede it is definitely more of a unisex scent. after the initial "men's cologne," it settles into an incredibly nice blend of something green & spicy. i can't pick out individual notes, having not re-read the description before trying, but it smelled to me like cedar & cinnamon. i don't get any citrus (&i'm kind of happy about that), but someone else nailed the rum and moss; that sounds about right to me! overall, a very peculiar, surprising, yummy scent. i have it in my maybe pile for now, but i think it might be a keeper.

In the imp it reminded me SO MUCH of a perfume oil I bought in a little store in the French Quarter years and years ago. It was a rainy day, and I was wandering around with my bestfriend.

On my skin, it starts with that scent, and then something almost like lime appears briefly, and then it turns to rum.

From there it turns to a perfumy scent with dirt on top.

I really like it. :)