Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

Jazz Funeral

Bittersweet bay rum, bourbon, and a host of funeral flowers with a touch of graveyard dirt, magnolia and Spanish Moss.

This is a very pale translucent yellow oil with a remarkably thin consistency that is almost like water.

Smell: A complex and spicy cinnamon over a bed of freshly cut wet grass with a faint hint of white wine in the background. Unfortunately I am not getting even the slightest trace of bourbon or rum. Or perhaps I'm mistaking the dryness of white wine w/ the boozy-ness of something else?

This is truly a fantastic and unique oil. It has a certain "lightness" to it which is great considering the description of Jazz Funeral sounds far more dense and forboding than it really is.

Not "me" enough to order a full bottle, but I'd recommend everyone give this a shot sooner or later.

All I get from Jazz Funeral is grave dirt over a little booze, but I like it. It reminds me a lot of Destroying Angel. I don't think I'll get a bottle but I will keep this around.

This is nothing like I was expecting, but I have no problem with that (cause I was expecting it to smell like Elegba, and well, if I want that I've got a big ol' bottle). It's very reminiscent of Juke Joint, only spicier and better. The moss really comes out, and once again I am struck with the realization that I really like smelling like something bizarre. I really don't smell the magnolia or the flowers, which is frankly fine by me.

It only gets spicier on the dry down, which I think is the dirt coming out. This is definitely a keeper.

Oh Jazz Funeral, How Do I Love Thee?

Let Me Count the Ways....

I love thee in the imp, when I smell rum and more rum, and maybe some bourbon to round it out...

I love thee wet, when I smell smoke and booze with a hint of flowers...

I love thee during drydown, when I smell dirt and more floral notes, plus moss...

I love thee dry, when I smell warm rum edged with spiciness, and your throw is strong enough to satisfy my "big scent" desire...

These booze scents are really working well for me. Although I thought Jazz Funeral might be too masculine when it was wet on my skin (I think rum says "aftershave" to me - must be a J. Peterman thing, eh?), the floral notes popped out during drydown and made the scent much more feminine.

My husband's response wasn't overly enthusiastic - "It's not objectionable" - which I take to mean, "Go ahead and buy that big bottle you are coveting" - but I think his complaint is that when Jazz Funeral is dry it doesn't smell strongly of one scent or another. This is fine with me (actually it's wonderful, my skin tends to amp notes, and I'm happy to find a scent where there isn't one note that swallows all the others alive and runs away with the fragrance), but he's not used to a perfume that doesn't smell like <i>something</i> on me.

Anyway, definitely a bottle for me.

Best,

Tzi

I recently was frimped a bottle of Nosferatu which smelled wonderful in impy and when first applied but faded to nothing at all in short order. Today I got an impy of Jazz Funeral. In the bottle I smelled that wonderful greeny-dirt smell I loved so much in Nosferatu, so fearing the worst, I slathered my wrists.

Wet it was this wonderful green, dirt, sweetness that I couldn't seem to get my nose away from. This lasted for quite a long time! Now, 2 - 3 hours later, I smell this subtle, sweetness with a hint of something darker. This is a more mature smell, but definitely hints at some hidden naughtiness. I don't get that nose-twitching sensation florals of any stripe usually give me.

This is a new most-loved for me!

I received this from the lab as a frimp. I've always been intrigued by the idea of blends with a "dirt" note in them, but never got around to buying them because it seemed like such a gamble. Jazz Funeral had me sold!

I don't get any bay rum in mine (maybe it will come out once it's aged) but the florals and moss are very nice and soft. The dirt adds a nice base to it. Overall it's a lot lighter in scent than I expected it to be.

Imp: Sweet flowers, tobacco, rum.

Wet: Strong magnolia and just a splash of rum.

Drydown: Magnolia, dirt, and...lemon.

Definitely prefer this to Zombi, but I think my hormones are wreaking havoc on my chemistry right now. Will have to wait and try again later.

imp: dirt and magnolia. yum.

wet: wow! bay rum and moss and dirt. can't wait to try this one on my husband... the dirt smell is less than zombi but still quite nice.

dry: moss and dirt with a background hint of bay rum. this is very nearly a bottle for me if my husband decides he doesn't want one.

On wet at first this smelled strangely fruity, huh. Not even like rum, just... really sweet candied fruit. As it dries it becomes more bay rum and dry dirt, with the magnolia lurking underneath. Sometimes it gets a little sterile smelling, which may be one of the alcohols I'm not sure, but overall a interesting scent and the first one I've actually been able to smell the graveyard dirt note in. Would not call it "green" or "fresh" at all but it's not nearly as heavy as the description sounds.

in the imp: ozone, bay rum

wet on skin: the dirt is coming out now, and something...sweet, that i can't identify.

dry down: dirt, smoke, ozone and funeral flowers. yup, just like the name.

in all: although not for me, this is interesting and my BF just bought a whole bottle of it, and i know he's gonna love it, so that's good! :P

I don't like dirt scents, but I actually like the way this smells in the imp. Sweet and boozy with a little earthiness to darken it up. I don't think this will be a match for me but I'm intrigued nonetheless.

Eh, no go. The dirt and flowers are too strong and sour for me. And for some reason on my skin there is some kind of weird citrus cleaner undertone. To the swaps you go!

Edited to add: On full drydown this kinda smells like booze puke...blaugh

Edited by Suu4LC

In the bottle: Sickly dark spirits with a hint of soaking moss

On, wet: The sickliness is gone (whoo) and here come the whipsy light floral notes. The earthy backnote is there, and I don't like it much...

Drydown: Sweet boozy wonderfulness. The florals compliment this scent very well as they balance out the deep earthy notes. It wouldn't be the same or complete without the moss and dirt but I am so glad they are not the prominant notes.

In the bottle I hate this scent, but on me I simply adore this scent, I need a 5ml. Which goes to show, don't knock it till you've tried it :P

Edit: I never thought I'd love smelly like a dirty boozy lass, but I am ever so slightly in heaven with this scent. "ain't no sunshine" by Bill Whithers compliments this scent to perfection.

Edited by TulaMontage

Sniffed: Light yellow oil. Dirt, slightly almost bubblegummy (pink) flowers, magnolia. Surprisinly sweet & fruity.

Wet: Sweeter, really, this smells like strawberry bubblegum! The dirt note is light and not unpleasant, and the magnolia is subtle but creamy. The bay rum is pleasantly spicy & herbal, and I do get the booziness of the bourbon.

Dry: The fruity note is more tart, and has morphed quite a bit - smells more like lemon blossom, now. The soil note has amped, as has the bourbon. The bay rum's still a strong presence.

Later: Maybe the citrusy note is the by rum? It combines very nicely with the magnolia. I'm getting the Spanish moss now, which smells musty, like a slightly mildewed basement. Also, that spiciness is from cassia, I'm sure.

Summary: Ugh, some iris emerges & the cassia amps, and along with magnolia, soil and bay rum hold down the fort. More distant bourbon and spanish moss. No longer very sweet. Decent throw & longevity.

Edited by fairnymph

Wet, the thing I smelled the strongest was... banana. I know there is no banana in Jazz Funeral, but there ya go. When it dried down, it went powdery. No florals, no dirt, no booze. Just powder. :P

In the bottle – The booze, with just a hint of dirt and the tiniest edge of sweet flowers

Wet on me – Sweet almost fruity florals with a mossy background

Dry on me – A light mossy scent

Overall – There is nothing unpleasant about this, but it’s very faint on me and doesn’t make much impact

At first a rather sharp green citrussy smell - a bit like pine and limes or lemons ... and a rather sour note. Mellows as it dries, with the sharpness becoming more light, spicy floral - but still the overall impression is green grass and lemon? Maybe it doesn't suit my skin ... possibly the booze is turning sour on me? (And I know there's not meant to be any lemon in here - just one of those skin chemistry things!)

The final impression on me is warm slightly spicy green grass with a hint of lemon - quite pleasant really but not at all what I expected!

Edited by homunculus

I get sharp citrus at first too, which then fades to a beautiful earthy, mossy scent. I didn't expect to love this one so much but it's definitely going on my bottle wish list :P

I tried this on while hanging out with my friend "beanrua," whose nose is more sophisticated than mine, so you're going to get both of our reactions to what this oil did on me. :P

I could smell the rum even with the imp closed, and when I first dabbed it onto my arm, that was the dominant note to my nose. She said she smelled dirt, but I couldn't make it out through the rum smell! I love rum, so this is a very good thing.

It dries down to a scent of flowers and incense. I can't tell you what flowers I'm smelling, but beanrua says it's lilies. There is still a hint of booze but the dominant notes are the floral note and what I'd swear was church incense of some sort. It's not too different from Dia de los Muertos '04 after Dia's sugar note dissipates. Jazz Funeral is rounder somehow, more sensual, but they're similar in that both of them smell like incense and flowers on me. There is a dirt note, but it doesn't show up on me until many hours after application.

beanrua said that it smelled "like New Orleans" on me, and that's certainly enough to make me cling to my imp for dear life! I don't know how often I'll be in the mood for this one, but I like it a lot.

Edited by lady_pandora

In The Bottle

Hmmm. Dirt, dirt, dirt. Love it :P

On Application

WOW! I love this so far. Immediate scent on application was dirt and then the flowers rear their heads - definite magnolia and maybe jasmine. No boozy notes at this stage.

Dry Down

Ah, the moss is definitely there. There's a spiciness to this that is really lovely, keeping the florals in check. This would be lovely summer scent, even for a bloke like me :D Average to good throw. Still no boozey notes for me. There is something very familiar about this scent. Love it.

Rating (0-5)

In imp:

A sweet floral, perfumey but non-astringent. Smelled a bit musky too.

Wet on skin:

The spices definitely start to pick up. I had a hard time placing the scent, but it reminded me very much of mulled cider--just plain delicious.

Drydown:

The magnolia and jasmine are peeking out. Usually jasmine is too sweet for me, but there is just enough in this to compliment the rest of the notes.

Dry: I think the booze and dirt notes in this give it a sort of opium incense scent. True the specific notes are not easily picked out, but I think that it works for this particular blend.

I love this stuff!

this smells like a dusty old liquor cabinet where some of the fruity liquors have gone off. i wish that this smelled like nice boozy flowers but unfortunately it just turns pungent on me.

Very citrusy, grassy orange on me. It didn't morph much over the couple of hours I gave it. Didn't get the boozyness described in the notes. Swapping it.

The sight of a Jazz Funereal is something to behold, especially at that moment when the procession turns the corner and switches gears from mourning the death to celebrating the life.

This Jazz Funereal, recently imped to me, is the reverse on my skin. When in the bottle it smells so rich and earthy but bourbon-ed at the same time, like someone had poured a bottle of Makers Mark on a fresh grave, when the fall magnolias bloom.

Wet on my wrist it's a celebration of bourbon with a slight whiff of dirt. Fantastic.

Sadly, as it dries it begins to smell vaguely of baby powder. I don't blame anyone, it tends to happen with perfume oils, and before long there's not much around me but a baby powder scent, and a strong one at that.

Still, I like it very much, and will be keeping the imp in my vest pocket to keep it from drying.

I came back once more to profess my love for the most amazing scent in the entire universe.

And rant a little bit... because my fiance figured out what that amazing smell was, and wanted to smell like it too.

So he used it all up. I'm not kidding, he splashed himself in it. So I only have a tiny bit at the bottom. However, this 'aged' smells way different that it did when I first got it. Aged it smells sharper - the boozy note jumps out first, and it has a spicy kick to it. The magnolia's RIGHT behind it, and I can't smell any dirt anymore. It smells humid, much like New Orleans.

Sigh... can it get any better?