Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

Uncontrollable passion and insatiable sexual desire: red musk, patchouli, ylang ylang and myrrh.

Wow! This is a musky, heady scent -- I think I felt my pupils dilate when I put it on! I feel very alert while I'm wearing this, like all the nerves in my skin are firing off at once. There's also something familiar about it -- maybe the patchouli? It reminds me of the place where I get my tattoos done, which, given my tattoo experiences, is a hugely pleasant association.

Urgh, got this traded from someone who could very much have had better use for it than me - I missed out on the word "Patchouli" and here I sit smelling...well...bad.

It's my one major death note, it seems :(

In the imp: Sweet patchouli.

Wet: The patchouli is still dominant, but the myrrh and ylang ylang are peeking out.

Dry: A heavy myrrh mix. Fairly unremarkable.

In the bottle: Ew, it smells like old incense... More precisely, like a mix of musk and patchouli.

Wet: Surprisingly, it actually turns sweet and spicy on my skin!

Dry: ...And right back to the musky incense.

Verdict: No, this one is definitively not for me. Too bad, I liked the name.

The Lab and I are going to have to agree to disagree on the sexiness of patchouli. So... this is a miss for me. :P I will say that the red musk and myrrh is great, though! I'm just picky about my patchouli and this one doesn't do it for me. So far as I can smell it's all pretty balanced as to the scent description.

Edited by Innocuousmold

I thought this oil was a dead cert for me - I love all the notes. But no :( It just won't "fly" for me. It feels heavy and ploddy on me, weighing me down. I will keep the imp to see whether this changes, since I now love Anne Bonny and didn't like that one at all at first. But I am disappointed at the moment - but I have found loads of new scents I love in the last couple of days. This isn't sweet enough to be sweet or tangy or edge or - I guess it's just not me. Interesting. I can't find a duff note, it's not that, it's just... It feels like the notes I love in other scents but in the wrong order, or someone you see in a crowd who looks like a good friend but is a stranger.

(In case anyone's interested, the oils I love that made me think I would like this are Bloodlust and La Petit Mort.)

Edited by Quillifer

Well three of four of these are my notes of doom so it definitely did not work on me. I can see a lot of people on the forums liking this though. Patchouli and red musk seem to be heavy favorites, and both are very prominent in this. 'Sexy dirty hippy' has my friend says. Not my thing at all though.

This smells like a more masculine, cologney Snake Oil on me. Something makes this smell like cologne on me, I think that it could be the red musk. As it dries I get hints of the myrhh and ylang ylang. It's an interesting scent and last for ages. It could definitely be unisex.

In the imp:

The first time I opened this, It reminded me a lot of Snake Oil, which is awesome, because I love Snake Oil. Smelling it again, I’m getting the lighter, candy-ish scent that I associate with patchouli.

First time on:

I’m still getting some patchouli, but now I’m smelling more of the red musk, and some of the herbal/plantyness of the ylang ylang and the myrrh. It mellowed out pretty quickly, but that might just be because of where I do test patches; I test perfumes on the backs of my hands, so the scent doesn’t permanently fuse with my watch.

After a while:

The patchouli is still there, and it has a decent amount of throw on me, but close to the skin it smells like…pine. There’s no pine anywhere in the item description, and it could be that I’m smelling something herbal that I’m not used to, but to me it smells like pine, because that’s what my skin chemistry is bringing out. Oh biology, you so crazy.

Overall review:

I was disappointed in this one, because the first whiff led me to believe that this might be a passable substitute for Snake Oil until I get my next batch, but sadly, it was not to be. It’s not that it smells bad, per se, but it’s not really for me. Looks like this is another free sample that I’ll be passing along.

In the imp: Dragon's blood?

Wet on skin: Ohai patchouli. Go away. You are making me smell like a mud puddle >.>

Dry on skin: The ylang ylang is starting to peek out, giving this a sweeter feel. Eventually it takes over and smells like something sweet and floral with a dark and dirty undertone. I am really not sure how I feel about this one. The patchouli listened and went away, but it is almost going soapy instead?

Hmm... into the "OK" box for now.

I have a love/hate relationship with patchouli. Most of the time, it turns into moldy dirt on my skin. Occasionally it turns into magic.

Lust turned into moldy dirt

This was a frimp from the lab. I have to say that when a concoction has both red musk and patchouli it probably won’t work for me. Or it may need to age. This does remind me of a less feminine version of Snake Oil or Vixen and I hated Snake Oil until I aged it.

I had my husband smell it to see if he wanted to take over the imp and he declined. He said it didn't do anything for him.

I may age it for awhile and see if it helps but as of right now this is a huge NO. It smells like cologne and dirt. It's also for some strange reason making me sneeze.

It does have very good throw and staying power. Unfortunately it doesn't morph into anything better. I am getting no ylang-ylang and I suspect the myrrh is there but is hiding behind the red musk and only peeking out slightly.

I’ll give it 6 months. If aging doesn’t help it, this one will go into the trade pile.

I got this as a free imp from the Lab (thank you!), otherwise, I would never have ordered it. I tend to shy away from all the sexual blends, because I'm still kinda intimidated by the whole idea of sex (it's weird and icky). I was really reluctant to try even this on, but I figured letting it sit in my drawer would just be missing the point of perfume.

Thankfully, it didn't produce the same....uh...reactions in me as it did many other members, or it really would've scared me away. But I think I really like this scent. I've found that I like warm, rich scents, and this is definitely one of them. Something about the red musk and patchouli combination is very pleasing to my nose. This is a perfume that, unlike, say, Gingerbread Poppet, doesn't really resemble its name on me, and for once, that's a good thing. It's a delightful scent that I'm not terrified of!

Honestly, I think on me, it's not that bad an everyday scent.

Score: 8/10

This blend is fast becoming one of my favorites, definately in the top five of scents I've tried so far. It's very earthy, musky and warm and manages to smell both reassuring and comfy and incredibly sexy at the same time. My husband loves this on me as well. :wub:

I purchased my imp over a year ago, I think (someday I will have to start marking labels with date). I didn't care for it much then. Fresh musk has a tendency to become powder on me. Now it is a true red musk and a floral I am assuming is the ylang ylang. Unlike many on this thread I do not get any patchouli. It's pretty, but not a bottle for this girl.

I am totally puzzled how I did not review this already ... I know I had some way back in the day when I was reviewing everything as a newbie, and I know I have had an imp for awhile that should have at least made it into the mix when I reviewed/RE-reviewed everything. But it fell through the cracks ... dun dun dun ... UNTIL NOW.

So, yes, reviewing from an imp I've had for at least a year or two (and I realized I had to have this when the Bonbon series came out and I knew there was NO WAY I hadn't tried this based on the notes).

IN THE IMP: SHMEXY!!!!!!! Patchouli and sex!

Dabbed on wrist and in crook of arm.

WET: Ohhhhhhhhh shmex shmex shmex. Musky and myrrh mellow out the patchouli so that it's not all "nursery school arts and crafts project" on me (I like patchouli and I like the smell of nursery school arts and crafts projects but, to me, sexy that ain't). Not getting any of my beloved YY on wet sniff.

DRYDOWN: This just gets better and better. All the goodness remains, but the YY adds a very subtle floral deliciousness to it.

OVERALL: This is the next GC bottle on my "must buy" list now and will be one of the few GCs on my wishlist. It's nummmmmm. I can't wait to try the Lust Bonbons now because, IMHO, Beth's chocolate note always makes good things even better.

On a scale of 1-5, a 5.

This is very 70's musk and patchouli, some say sexy, some not. For me, the sexy is the 70's part, the whole sex, drugs and rock n' roll gives it the reminiscence of youth. I think perhaps the older crowd finds it sexy and the younger crowd find it too much. It was nostalgia that brought me to Bpal, looking for a incense perfume oil on the internet. It's kind of funny finding Lust as a new favorite now, never ordering it, passing it over for others so many times. It is in the "Beloved Favorites" page on the Bpal website for good reason.

Lust to me smells like the female counterpart of Sin. If your a fan of Bpals red musk you have to at least check out an imp of this. Fans of Fenris wolf may also like this, it must be the red musk i find similar but Lust is much sweeter.

In the vial: Ylang ylang, we meet again. And you brought your friend, myrrh.

On the skin: Okay, well they both took off and left over-whelming patchouli to stay behind. Yeah, this one is off to the swaps.

Lately I have been revisited by old BPAL loves that I never got full bottles of, and have no clue why. I have had many imps of Lust that I have been lucky enough to come my way, and each time I try it I think Mmmm I lust for this Lust...it is filled with awesome and win, and smells like BPAL to me, the very idea of it. And onto the next order it goes.

This is a patchouli blend that I find very wearable, and a bit less dirty hippie than say, Sin or Imp.

In the imp: Red musk, followed by the patchouli note, and then the myrrh and ylang ylang.

Wet: The red musk reigns, and I guess I'm a heretic in that I am not particularly fond of the note. I'm also getting the patchouli and myrrh notes. Sometimes, I can detect the ylang ylang, but other times, I go to smell my arm and can't find it beneath the patchouli and myrrh. The red musk note just seems to get strong over time. I'm glad I only put a dab of this one on – it's strong!

Dry: Mostly red musk and patchouli, though the myrrh is present as well. No ylang ylang to be found.

Verdict: I figured this one wouldn't be for me, but tried it anyway since it is listed under the Lab's Beloved Favorites. It's just way too much red musk for me.

Got this as a frimp with a BPTP purchase on Etsy, but I ordered an imp from the website previously (still in transit to me).

Bottle: Nooo! Overwhelming patchouli. Patchouli everywhere, with a bit of ylang ylang. This is definitely rubbing me the wrong way so far :(

Wet: Cheap ylang ylang soap comes into the mix. Bleck.

Dry: The soapiness disappears with time, thank God, but now it's just heavy without being sexy. Just getting a lot of vaguely flowery patchouli.

Verdict: I really, really wanted to love this, but it just doesn't work for me. I guess I was hoping for a more subtle patchouli, and the ylang ylang turns really, really soapy when it's freshly applied. It's not nearly as offensive when it dries down, but I can't see myself wearing this out at all. No harm in keeping the frimp, just to see if it changes on me as it ages, but the extra is going straight to the swaps.

On me, this is all red musk and patchouli. It's black patchouli, darn near identical to the patchouli note in Sin. The whole thing reminds me of Sin, except without the cinnamon, which I kind of miss. The patch is doing the wet funky type scent it sometimes has. I can definitely see how this is sexual. I don't think it's quite "me" at this time though.