Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Gluttony

Thick, sugared and bloated with sweetness. Dark chocolate, vanilla, buttercream, and hops with pralines, hazelnut, toffee and caramel.

This does not really work on me at all. From wet to drydown, it smells the same - burnt sweet butter with a little bit of "fake" vanilla (like in cheap room scents). I only dabbed a drop on and it is really quite overpowering - I imagine if I had put on more I would be suffering a headache by now. DH said that I smelled like burning incense sticks :P

Gluttony is almost like a "base scent" for Jack and Gingerbread Poppet. It certainly isn't as objectionable as I found Jack to be, but certainly doesn't sit well on my skin.

I'm sure other people will love Gluttony so off to the swap pile it goes.

Edited by Bagfish

Got this as a freebie from the lab (for the Labbies are kind and good and generous).

In the imp: butterscotch, with a hint of dark chocolate.

Wet: Butterscotch, but with a ton of pralines and hazelnuts.

Dry 5 minutes: I can see why this is called 'Gluttony'! There SO much in this scent. It's super-sweet but the parlines and the hazelnuts and the chocolate give it a dark, bitter undertone.

Dry 30 minutes: Wow. It's sweet to the point of being sickening, but the nuts and the chocolate keep it from tipping over that fine line. You can see WHY gluttony is a sin.

Dry 1 hour: mostly getting the nuts, now, with a backing of toffee and butterscotch. It's still really sweet, but not to the sicking point.

Dry 3 hours: I smell like I've been baking cookies and making candy all day. Mostly the nuts with a heavy, rich sugar punch behind it. I'd say the hazelnuts and the pralines really ground this scent and keep it from being horrifically sweet.

Dry 5 hours: Pretty much the same. If I try to identify the notes, I can but mostly it just swirls around in a big, candy orgy.

Overall: GREAT throw on this. Just a drop or two goes a long, long way. Lasts ages, too. I was catching hints of it some twelve hours later.

As neat a scent as this is, though, it's not for me. Mainly because my husband hated it. It was way to sweet for him and he said that it gave him a headache. The kids, too, found it a bit much. I think it's a triumph of mixing, though. Beth is a genius.

straight out of the bottle, the buttercream hits my nose first, followed by the scents of gingerbread, cracker jacks, and peanut brittle. it dries to a sweet, foody, burnt caramel/praline scent. i do not smell any chocolate, but there are so many other yummy notes that i don’t even miss it. comforting and indulgent.

My skin amps anything butter-esque, so like Jack, Gluttony was just too buttery for me (and on my skin it smelled weirdly of buttered popcorn). I think if Jack works for you you’ll like this.

In the vial: holy crow, sugar sweets... I can feel my teeth rotting!

On the skin: I'm amused that this was the first of the SDS I've gotten to try. It's exactly as the notes listed. A glut of almost choking you sweetness. The toffee and hazelnut really stand out for me. I really like the smell, but it's almost something I wouldn't wear... just more like to smell when I'm hungry. It's exactly as described. Wow. I woder how it'd mix with Shill and Midway...

God. Gluttony's, like -- waffles covered in hazelnut butter with globs of toffee and caramel and vanilla cream and chocolate syrup, the load of it chucked into deep fryer and pulled out just as it's starting to burn, and slathered with butter just before it's served. It's a fast food chef working in an upscale restaurant.

Jabba the Hutt would be all over this.

The half-burnt scent I could do without, but at least the sweetness isn't cloying (more than I could say for Dana O'Shee).

Edited by Abberlaine Arrol

Gluttony was a generous lagniappe/frimp in my first order, yay! :D In my excitement that day I tried about 7 scents on different parts of my arms, which was ridiculous as I became quickly scent-overwhelmed, but the initial response to Gluttony by my S.O.'s fresh nose was a hearty *SNUUUUUFFFFFFF* "Mmmm!" followed by a pantomime of eating my wrist. And so it became a preferred pick to get the full-on try-out treatment...

In the imp: Oh. My. Goodness. Sweet candy, rich with sugar, toasted like caramel and slightly boozy like the syrup I make smells right after adding maple and vanilla extracts. DEFINITELY a strong scent, I have to 'waft' it to my nose from a few inches away like my H.S. chemistry taught in order to get a manageable dose. Amazingly, totally gluttonous!

Wet on skin: Everything is amped even further the moment I dab on warm skin (swiped wrists and collarbone). I now catch whiffs of hazelnut and buttercream in addition to dark sugary candy and a hint of (to me) maple underneath. Very complex, very sinful!

Early Dry: Mmm, candy!

uh oh... :D

Something happens after the initial dry. Arrrrgh! My skin chemistry has warped the scent notes, making the hazelnut and buttercream scream in a really overpowering, slightly rank syrup-y way! What do I smell like? Something not good... Oh, dear. Like walking by an overpowering Yankee Candle store. Arrrgh! I'm actually getting a headache. Humph. I'm not giving up, though, I want to wait to see how it mellows...

Later: It's been hours, but I'm still emitting a vaguely rancid hazelnut/buttercream candle smell. I was hoping end notes might mellow it out (chocolate? hello?), but it seems that my skin & chemistry do not play nicely with Gluttony at all! This is very sad when combined with the fact that it appears to have the highest throw and staying power of everything I've ordered (I love assertive scents, why can't the other ones create a miasma around me like this?!) :P

Supporting Evidence:

-S.O. commenting as I walk by, early on: "Wow, following you is like following a bakery!"

-S.O. comment later on: "Stay away, stink-bake!"

*sigh* ah, well! Will have to pass it along... a scent this interesting deserves a better bod to be on :D

Edited by bookishgrrl

If ifs and buts were candy and nuts...they'd be Gluttony. At first that's all I get, sweet, creamy, nuts. Eventually it dries down to more buttercream and caramel, with just a tiny bit of hoppy bitterness. So divine. Makes me want to nibble my wrist. Absolutely perfect for a chocolate-craving kind of day. All the sin without any of the caloric load. Huzzah!

In the vial:

HAZELNUT!!

On me:

At first when it hits my skin I get a strong whiff of buttercream, but it quickly backs off again to make room for the pralines and hazelnut. And that is Gluttony in a nutshell (no pun intended!) on me. It's pralines and hazelnut, pralines and hazelnut. It never morphs into anything else, it's just nuts.

Final note:

It's not a "wow" scent for me but it is somewhat comforting in a foody way and I'll keep my imp for that reason :P

In the vial: Butter, with just a hint of sugar.

On the skin: Hm, butter still dominates. Lurking in the back is some of the sweetness.

Drying down: My skin loves the buttery scents in this (just like Gingerbread Poppet) and amps them up, drowning out everything else.

Verdict: It sounds so delicious, but my skin seems to love the butter too much. No fair.

Oh Gluttony, how could you break my heart like this?

Review is (far, far) after the fact, but Gluttony was the entire reason I finally made my first order. I ordered lots and lots of imps that first time, but the chocolatey-sweet goodness of Gluttony was the one I really couldn't wait for.

In the bottle, it...didn't smell like chocolate. But I am a newb, I said to myself; surely I am just inexperienced with these things. So I applied sparingly (in order to preserve the precious oil that I would undoubtedly fall madly in love with) and...it still didn't smell like chocolate. In fact, it smelled burnt, like a cheap cookie-scented candle. There was no sweetness, no nuts, no chocolate. Just that waxy/plasticky overtone with an underlying burnt vanilla-powder note, favored perfume of badly made candles the world over.

And then, as if to rub salt in the wound of rejection (Gluttony! we were made for each other! why don't you love me?!) I broke out in giant flaming red hives where I'd applied the oil. You could see every single spot where it had touched my skin, even down to the tiny uneven spots where I got the splash effect.

It was the saddest (perfume-related) day of my life, I tell you. Tragic.

This is interesting. It seems that the general consensus is that Gluttony is very sweet, even on the dry-down. In the bottle it smells nutty, toffee-ish, kind of chocolatey (though more cinnamony than I expected), but I put it on and within twenty minutes everything is drowned out apart from SO MUCH SPICE.

It lasts me the whole day without having to reapply, but it becomes almost pure cinnamon.

I wore this out once. I kid you not, in every room I walked into people were saying "What's that smell? Is it cinnamon/coriander/christmas pudding?". I drew the line when I walked into my Classics lesson and my teacher piped up "Does anyone smell curry?"

Why am I the only person who doesn't get sweetness from this? Oils never normally distort on my skin...nuffair :P

Wet: Buttercream!

Dry: Buttercream!

I also get a bit of a nutty udertone. This remids me of cake and icing candles, only more realistic, and makes me hungry. I think I'd rather put it on my stuff than my skin. That way when I start gnawing I won't loose ay skin!

So my husband is helping me go through my new scents. We open gluttony. We sniff gluttony.

"MMMMM" says husband. "That's really good."

"Won't work on me," I say. "It'll go buttery."

I open something else. Husband hangs on to gluttony bottle and keeps sniffing. I have lots of nice bottles to sniff. I open another bottle and offer it to him. Husband, however, is still sniffing gluttony.

"So can we try this?" says husband.

"Won't work," I say.

"No, can we try it on me."

So I put a tiny dab on each of his wrists.

"Great!" he exclaims. "I smell like sticky toffee pudding! Put some on, this is really good!"

I sniff his wrist. He smells exactly like sticky toffee pudding with toasted nuts on top. I try some on me. It smells like very salty butter with an artificial toffee note. And it DOES NOT WASH OFF.

My husband has been sniffing his wrist all evening. I have given him the bottle. He is very pleased with it.

So, in summary

1. When this scent smells right, it smells like sticky toffee pudding with nuts on

2. When this scent goes wrong, it goes really wrong.

3. At least one man thinks it's wonderful...but he's taken :P .

In the bottle: I *hate* the smell of maple syrup. And Im smelling it. Had to go outside for a bit to get the smell out of my nose.

Wet: Maple syrup still, but Im smelling toffee? I can stand it at this point

Dry: Oh thank the gods the maple smell is gone. Was it the hazelnut Ive been smelling the whole time? Caramel and toffee has taken over. Not getting any chocolate or vanilla at all.

30 mins later: It smells like candy! It must be the toffee. Whatever it is I love it! Im smelling something creamy too.

Hour later: Long lasting, seriously. Im getting no throw, but since I just did a dab it probably isnt the best test. Smells like a candy shop in the mall I used to walk by as a kid and stare into with longing.

Closing thoughts: Im so glad I tried this instead of throwing it across the room like I almost did. (There really are no words to express how much the scent of maple syrup sickens me.) It really is amazing how much a scent can morph from bottle unto skin. I couldnt see myself wearing this out, but this will be my comfort scent I think. Im on a diet and I think when I have a killer craving for candy, Ill just put this on. Maybe it will help.

In the vial and wet on my skin - candy, candy, candy! The buttercream is screaming! Followed by toffee. No hints of chocolate or even nuts.

As Gluttony dries down the buttercream is done screaming (thank god!), the toffee has receeded a bit and I am beginning to smel the hazelnut and a hint of vanilla. Still no chocolate...

Completely dried down, Gluttony is totally NOT what I expected it to be. What suprises me about it, is that it has dried down to be a very dark scent. No happy candyish smell here like I believed it to be when I first smelled it. The dark chocolate finally came out and it is a bitter dark chocolate which balances all of the other sweet notes and darkens the scent. I believe Gluttony would be an awesome layering oil. It would give a darkness to even the brightest of oils.

The throw is okay but the wear is great. It even has a hard time washing off. Not sure about a bottle yet. I am going to see how much I use the imp.

I have been on the receiving end of multiple frimps of Gluttony. As the same thing happened with Blood the situation is making me wonder if the cosmos isn't telling me to cut out the beer and DRINK BLOOD UNTIL I WADDLE TO THE JOHN AND HURL. It doesn't help that I've gained a few pounds recently....

On me Gluttony smells a little like caramel Turtles. Not that I don't like eating Turtles once in a while but realistically I AM NOT A TURTLE - I really don't think of myself as a reptile, and am not very fussy about food. I work in the turd herding industry, yes, but it's "turdle-with-a-d" not "turtle-with-a-t" to paraphrase Liza.

So, OK, this scent obviously incites me to total paranoia: I give it away to my friends' kids or frimp it out with swaps, but it just keeps coming back with swaps and lab orders. It's making me question my sanity on purchasing one of the "foody" expensive LE's. It makes my molars ache even sniffing it.

I really wish this one would get its #$% out of my life. Next person who swap with me, be afraid.

Ohhh, yum. This smells like maple syrup and burned coffee on me. It's so good, and so strong, but delicious. It's a powerful scent that goes sweet on me. Mmm... one of my favourites.

Someone once asked where that sweet coffee smell was coming from, because there was no-one nearby having coffee. It was me. :P

This is my first time wearing Gluttony. I sniffed it a few times, thought 'ugh' and replaced the cap. This time, I forced some on my wrists.

First impression--like chocolate that's gone over. Sweet caramel overcooked. Something that could have been wonderful, gone very wrong. I'm sure this will smell better on persons not me. Unfortunatly, it does not agree with my chemistry. I tried it though!

Gluttony came to me as a frimp with my EBM order.... and I'm SO happy it did.

Let me tell you right now - I love foodie. I'm THAT girl - the one who smells like cookies, pie or something else both edible and fragrant. I'm the proud owner of 6 Demeter foodies, including two BIG bottles. (Yes, that was before BPAL)

Gluttony may be the yummiest foodie scent on me, ever. The first application is all chocolate and hazelnuts - it makes me think of Nutella and hazelnuts. Not supersweet, but definitely yummy. I also get the buttercream, but its not overpowering.

As it dries down, I smell alot like hazelnut coffee and that's a good thing, too.

As a side note: I wore this to bed last night and dreamed of chocolate fudge pop-tarts. Coincidence? I think not.

Oh yumm..... this is decadent! reminds me of being home in New Orleans with my da in the kitchen making pralines....

the smell of the heated sugar / pecan mixture as it hits the buttered tin foil.... oh WOW! I just love this scent and it has the absolute most throw of any of my scents so far..... I felt like I was surrounded by a cloud of sugary praline heaven all day.... this is for sure a keeper!

Bottle: pecans, caramel, toffee, and a hefty shot of vanilla

Wet: sweet, sweet, nutty decadence. Makes me want to make some home-made butterbrickle, actually.

Dry: vanilla is amping, as per usual, the pralines are holding firm.

Later: I'm so not into food-y scents. I like the nuttiness of this, actually, it's the rest of it that I can't manage. For those who are into smelling like a box of Turtles this is da bomb.

In the bottle: I just about died with the first scent. It is perfect for its name, but I am not wanting to wear gluttony. It reminds me of freezerburned off brand ice cream bars which were in the fridge with a bunch of random thing so took in their flavor too.

Wet: I'm getting praline pecans. Almost entirely.

Dry: It's walnutty, spicy, a little chocolatey, still a lot, but it's mellowing

After about 4 hours this is very nice, a mature nutty chocolate.

but I don't know if it's worth the four hour wait.

My first thought when I sniffed this was a creamy Misk U coffee note. Once applied, it's a rich caramel-butter coffee scent with just the tiniest hint of cocoa.

Gluttonyis gooey and more foody than Misk U and, of course, it misses that old library/dusty books smell, so althought it's a food lover's wetdream, Gluttony won't be staying with me.