Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Pride

Vanity in extremis. The scent of rabid hauteur: Moroccan rose and narcissus.

Smells like roses alright. Not the kind of roses I like though, I prefer the sweet ones. More like whip, less like this. Its ok I guess, smells a teeny bit like pine sol.

impsniff:

Rose and Narcissus

i was hoping for a Moroccan Rose, but no. this is just rose.

on me, the first five minutes my hand smells vaguely like a cast-iron frying pan.

then it morphs into rose dusting powder, and stays that way for hours.

a very ladylike scent... and i'm no lady. :P

pretty, but not me.

This is sweet and haughty rose to me on first application. I'm not familiar with narcissus, so I can't quite tease it out of the blend. As it dries, however, I do smell a floral note other than rose, a little sharper, a little fresher. Overall, it's a very pretty scent.

Huge red roses, damp with a warm summer rain, in full and gorgeous rain. I literally unstoppered the imp and thought, "Wow! Those are some proud roses!" :P While that description might not be the most helpful, I will say that this is the most intense rose I've gotten from an imp yet, and the rose seems to last forever.

In the bottle: Pure rose.

Wet: Hmm, a rather green tea rose, not unpleasant at all.

Drydown: Rose and narcissus, becoming stronger and stronger. Narcissus is quite a tart, green and perfumy scent. The rose comes back from time to time behind the narcissus, actually they blend rather well.

Overall: It's a very green rose blend, with just the right amount of narcissus. This really represents pride and haughtiness perfectly, it's beautiful, and it revels in its own beauty. It's heady, and a bit invasive and very long-lasting. And it never veers into gross territory, as narcissus sometimes does. Very true to its name and a pretty blend.

On me this is very ripe rose! Pretty much just rose though...not bad but fresh rose isn't really me.

In the bottle: So sharp it almost hurts. It reminds me a bit of my dad's garage where all of his paint is.

Wet on skin: I definitely smell the rose, which I like. I don't, however, like the narcissus right now.

Dry on skin: True to the description, it's rose and narcissus. I'm still not sure if I like it very much.

Verdict: This is going to be swapped, I think. I wanted to like it, but it's giving me a headache.

Wow. Pride is very ladylike and adult. The narcissus is the more dominant of the two notes, on my skin, and it wears beautifully although it does a little sweet and candylike (my skin tends to turn every scent sweeter). I don't know if I will use Pride all that often, but I'll keep the imp for the time being and see whether I find situations for it.

Pride-

Wooooo! This one's a doozy. It's very sharp at first sniff and stays sharp all during the wet phase. The rose tempers the narcissus a bit but it still screams LOOK AT ME, cuz you can smell it a mile away. Lots of throw.

The drydown is alot less sharp and alot more bearable for me. This is nice once it gets through the wet phase. I don't know how often I'll wear this, but I'll keep the imp for sure.

Pride is floral and more floral. Is this why I'm not normally a prideful person? :P

In the vial - SO MUCH ROSE. Whoa!

Wet - Uh, rose? Lots of rich, velvety rose?

Drying - I've never seen a rose scent go soapy so fast on me, but that's exactly what this is doing. How odd.

Dry (1 hour) - I wish I had more to say about this, but I just... don't. It's fading away now, but it's still just soapy rose.

Overall - Pride isn't me and pride isn't me.

Pride-

In Bottle: Strongly rose. Even sourly rose.

Wet: Rose rose rose.

Dry: Smells like a pure rose scent; not cloying, though not something that really sends me. But an honest rose scent!

Overall: Not really for me.

I've finally struck out with a BPAL rose blend--this started out pure rosey goodness, but then the Narcissus of Doom jumped all over the rosebushes and took over. And narcissus and I don't get along. Rats! But I have plenty of other roses to choose from, so it's ok.

Mmm... lovely rose. It's not that rich heady scent I get from BPAL's red roses... in that same vein but less haughty and more understated. A bit dusty though.There's an odd kick in the background... I'm guessing narcissus since I have no clue what that smells like. Not sure that I like this scent overall. That strange dusty note isn't being kind to me.

In the bottle Pride’s all roses, and it’s not until it actually hits the skin that I get narcissus at all. This blend is actually one that stays pretty true from bottle to drydown, and for me is far more of a strong rose scent than any other that I’ve tried (actually, this is exactly what I was expecting Two, Five, and Seven to smell like).

Unfortunately, I’m not much a fan of roses and even less of a fan of pure floral blends, unless they’re balanced out by something else. However, if you love roses, you’ll love Pride. This one’s got a great throw and a wicked staying power, and is one of the most authentic rose perfumes I’ve ever tried.

This is rose, but stronger. Yet muted... surely that doesn't make sense. eh. It's just rose. Nice, but I think I should avoid rose. A tad bitter? GAH rose is boring!

Pride-

In Bottle: Intense rose and something else floral, I presume the narcissus, though I don't know what that smells like.

Wet: A little sour-lemony rose.

Dry: No, this is one of those rose blends that goes sour on me. It won't do for me.

Overall: Not for me.

In the bottle: Rose and a perfumey flower, which I guess is the narcissus.

Wet: Faint rose soap. Oh...sigh. It's going to be one of those blends, isn't it.

Dry: It's pretty much all soap now. Curse my body chemistry!

this is sharp and rosy and i see how it is a 'pride' scent. it's sharp in a way that wakes you up. i like it ok but it doesn't wow me. i like my rose scents to be more spicy and/or complex.

In the bottle:

Fresh florals. Very perfumey florals, not necessarily sweet ones.

Wet:

Overpowering perfumey florals. Kinda soapy.

Dry down:

It's a rose with some other notes. I'm guessing narcissus... :P I'm not sure what I think. Some moments it's pretty, but others it's a harsh soap.

Final thoughts:

I think I might just not be a fan of narcissus, but I don't know enough about the note to be sure. It's definitely a very self-assured floral, probably too self-assured for me.

Just a little later:

The narcissus (?) is backing off a little bit, and I like it more now. It still may end up being just a little too much for me, but I'm willing to keep an open mind towards it.

When I first put on Pride it had an odd, sharp herbal feel to it, but it quickly settled into a potent floral. I hadn't read the notes (I think I got it confused with Envy, so I wasn't expecting all that floral), and I kept thinking, 'what flower is this? heliotrope?'. I did think it smelled like rose but I must have been smelling the narcissus too, because it was more than just rose. Anyway, bottom line, this one isn't for me. Very womanly floral, to my nose. It's very strong with a lot of throw and might have lasted a long time if I didn't wash it off!

Rose and narcissus (white, pointy, herbal) duke it out almost continuously on my skin. Eventually, the roses give up and head for home. Narcissus stands on the platform, waving his trophy in the air.

In the imp: I can pick up both floral notes.

Wet: All narc, all the time (!!). This smells exactly as Darkness smelled on me, except that Darkness had a bit more kick from the opium. I honestly cannot pick up on the rose at all.

Drydown and wear: I'm really stunned. I must amp narcissus like nobody's business, because that's still all I can smell.

This is a slightly impure rose, with the impurity discernible because it is such a pure rose. Does that make any sense?

I'll go back on forth on whether I need a full bottle of this until the end of time, but I'm glad it exists.

I just got my bottle of Pride in the mail today, and honestly... all I am thinking right now is "why didn't I buy this a long time ago". I will admit that I've been hemming and hawing about trying this for a while now, and I held off because I have so many rose scents already, but I finally gave in and tossed a bottle in my cart the last time I made a visit to the lab. I'm so glad I did.

Really, this scent is exactly what I hoped for... both from my own mental impressions of what it would probably smell like and from reading other people's reviews. It's a very heady floral blend, so if you can't handle those, Pride is not for you. (I, on the other hand, love them so it's perfect.) Most predominant is a very bright, very juicy rose, but the narcissus is very definitely there, giving it that little something extra. I also think I smell something a little green in there... but I'm not totally certain because it's underneath the floral bouquet deepening it more than anything else. Because of the headiness of this, I didn't have to apply much... just a dab or two from the cap more than sufficed... and it has a lot of staying power.

Pride is the very epitome of... well... pride! This is an extremely haughty scent fit for a sophisticated woman who's a little on the vain side, who loves to be admired, and who is maybe just a little bit gaudy at times. I will jokingly admit that description actually kind of fits me, so I'm not surprised that I like this scent so much. It's very vampy and very sophisticated in equal amounts, and it actually reminds me a lot of Black Dahlia which I liked for the same reasons. Honestly Pride is more like what I wanted Whip to be... it makes me feel very sexy, very confident, and very very flirtatious. I can see myself eagerly reaching for this on the same days that I reach for my blood red lipstick, my curling iron, and my red strappy sandals this summer. :P

Edited by glass_cat