Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blackrayne

Pride

Vanity in extremis. The scent of rabid hauteur: Moroccan rose and narcissus.

This is just too much rose for me, and I LOVE rose. I think I have figured out that I really only love "spicy" smelling roses, and there's no spicyness to Pride. Unfortunately, it progressed to a really bad synthetic toilet-cleaner smell on me :sad:

Pride starts out a very powdery rose on me, which I like but might be a little old-ladyish really.

As it dries down it becomes less powdery, and more rose, but it's still a bit powdery and very soft in the end.

This does not have a lot of throw on me, but it does last,

In short: Good, but no reason to keep more than an imp around when I have Rose Red 08.

Wet: Strangely, it smells resinous.

First on: Floral resin. Is that the narcissus at work?

Dry: Faint and faded florals.

all rose on me, nothing more than that, and the imp is one year old. this is not for me, I like more complex roses.

edit: oooh, I have to correct myself. after 4 hours, this is all narcissus on me. I have been testing this few times now, and this is the first time this happened. wierd.

Edited by milica

I can't do notes yet, but I'll give reviewing a shot. ^^

In the imp: It's a thin scent, but the rose has a bit of a cloying effect that makes me think of a room full of rich furniture and oil paintings. I can't wait to try it!

Wet: The scent is thicker now; the rose is really strong on me. Now it makes me think of ladies sitting around having tea. It's warm, but the narcissus gives it a strange thinness.

Dry: If pride ever had a scent, this would be it. Once it's dry, it's almost as dry a scent as Nosferatu, but the rose still hangs in the background, lifting it up. Definitely a haughty scent...it makes me feel powerful, hehe. I love it.

This is the same sharp rose I get from London and Peacock Queen. Lovely, and the narcissus sweetens it a bit, but still too sharp and rose-y for me. I'll take my Peacock Queen anyday.

Imp: all roses. I really reaaally love bpal roses.

Wet: still all rose, like an old fashioned classic rose very vintage and prissy to me.

Drydown: the narcissus comes and sort of kills it for me, its still very nice but a little too prim and proper for my tastes.

I'm clueless when it comes to florals. What this make me think of is honeysuckle. It's nice, and not at all "perfumey." Strong throw (a good thing in my book), and long wearlength.

The oil itself is relatively thin and watery, meaning that I am destined to make an oily mess out of the imp label. While not the sort of thing that I'd normally choose, the lab sent me a free imp... and whaddaya know, I like it! I'll keep it for sunny days.

In the imp, I get really strong rose, with what I'm pretty sure has to be the narcissus. This should be interesting. On my skin, it's a balancing act between the rose and the narcissus, and it's a pretty interesting floral. Not quite sure how to feel about it just yet. It ends up being pretty straight up rose with narcissus underneath; a solid enough scent, but nothing I'll need more than an imp of.

Edited by Venneh

I actually have reverse ego problems--often not enough confidence--so I think I could use a dose of Pride. This really does bring to mind rabitdhauteur a la The Devil Wears Prada...not an in-your-face rose like I feared, but not a "me" scent either. Maybe the scent that will help give me a confidence boost is out there by a different name *sigh*

Okay I was nervous again (another Rose scent) but I have to admit this is very nice on me *shock horror*

It's very sweet and rose smelling (duh) but in a very beautiful way.

This doesn't go soapy on me and the rose isn't overwelming. It reminds me of my childhood.

I know this might sound silly but if I close my eyes I am a fairy princess.

Edited by Lilly

Pride definitely smells like, well, pride. It's very dashing but still feminine.

In imp: Mostly rose, but the narcissus is present - a sharp, clean, slightly sweet, almost bitter scent that manages to smell wonderful, although intellectually I have no idea why.

Wet on skin: Absolutely heavenly. The narcissus is much stronger, and complements the rose perfectly, so it's not too sweet or cloying. This is a very green rose. It reminds me of The Body Shop tea rose essential oil, which I love. I don't think they sell it any more. Maybe this could be a replacement!

Dry on skin: Not as good. The rose becomes sweet and the narcissus loses its astringency - altogether, a much more powdery scent. Darn.

I think I'll sample some more BPAL rose scents before deciding on anything, but of the ones I've tried so far, this is the best. Unless I find a rose I like better, I might get more of this.

Fresh rose with a green streak. Medium throw but good wear length. A little too fresh for me.

As I put it on wet, I definitely smell sandalwood as the first component or what I think is sandalwood. There is a bit of frankincense that I smell, and maybe some opium smoke? Something is making my head feel a bit light headed, and that only really happens when I smell opium. As I look at the notes (I try to do reviews without basing off of it) looks like it's just rose and the other flower. It seems in light of these two, the rose smells clean but the flower is making me very light headed and kind of sick. It's very pretty, once again reminding me of parliament of foules but something is not reacting well to myself. I'm glad I got to try it, and the imp will go to a loving home.

In the bottle: Narcissus.

On my skin: Lots of narcissus, heavy and smug (narcissus is rather fitting for pride, yes?). It reminds me a bit of my grandmother, she had a narcissus-heavy perfume at some point. After a while the rose comes in and combines with the narcissus nicely.

Cooldown: The narcissus fades away first, leaving me with fresh rose.

The rose part seems a bit too timid for pride, but the narcissus fits the part well.

One of my first BPAL loves! Took me long enough to review it.

Wet, and through most of its wear time, Pride is a big, bold rose. Not even a dainty, soft rose, but full-on, regal, crispy-edged rose. I love rose, and "rabid hauteur" has been used to describe me before, so, hey, perfect match!

After several hours, the narcissus begins to peak out. Not because it's timid, but the rose is just that strong. It puts a lovely, extra-sultry edge on it.

It's true that, since the Lab first frimped me Pride, I've acquired a number of big, ballsy rose scents. It's similar to Peacock Queen, but not an exact match. This one has narcissus in it! And it's called Pride!

pride is really, on me, just a gorgeous rose. i want to say it's a little humid but still a young, fresh rose with a strong, beautiful throw. and being the rose-obsessed creature that i am, i absolutely love it. :heart:

Initially this is a very similar wet, fresh rose to London on me. After a few hours it's tempered by the narcissus.

It's a lovely rose scent and I will keep and use the imp but I don't need a bottle.

Wet: whoa ROSE! Stand up straight forward marching foot stomping rose. I just woke up..I'm not prepared for this. The narcissus is slinking around in the background placing wooden supports & curtains everywhere to enhance the illusion of an all powerful rose. I feel like I'm at the emerald city but instead of that green floaty head thing, it's roses.

Drydown: still incredibly rosy. For a second I thought the narcissus was going neck to neck with the rose, but it lost. I'll have to keep this for crucial moments when I need some mental kryptonite for boring meetings. (oh come on spellcheck.. you don't recognize kryptonite by now? How long ago was Superman? psh..)

I just recently acquired a 10ml of Pride from a lab auction and I'm finding it slightly different than the imp the frimped me a couple months earlier. My imp is a strong, quite straight-up rose, and remains that way on my skin, which I like. The oil from my imp also has killer throw and smells like pure rose for hours. The bottle is different though. In the bottle, it smells like a dustier rose. More antique and resiny. I like this too but just wasn't expecting it. Wet, it smells slightly dusty as well, but after letting it sit on my skin for a while, it has calmed down a bit. it is also going a bit soapy. I still like it a lot.