Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pink.owl

Buck Moon

This Full Moon marks the time of the year when the new antlers of buck deer emerge from their foreheads, coated in soft velvet. This is a time of masculine vigor, thunder, balmy nights, glorious sunlight and hot winds. Buck Moon is an animalistic, deep scent: an amplification of one's natural musk coupled with forest herbs, a hint of clear, warm evening air and a crystalline spark of lunar oil.

OK. The first imp I got of this had gone off or something. I got a second one and liked it much more- side by side they smell different... the first one, the musk had drowned everything and gone a bit sour or something, basically an example of bad aging I guess. Then I ended up lucking into a bottle and it's the same yum as the second imp. It's this soft, airy musk that throws this beautiful aura of scent. I like the throw more than the aroma I get with my nose plastered to my wrist, but I like that, too! I find this one hard to describe. It's very moonlit- fragile, dark, yet airy. The muskiness is lovely and light, not an overbearing dark musk. It is also a slightly cool smell; crisp with a hint of chill. Basically beautiful. It's not that long lasting on me- maybe only two hours or so.
5 out of 5- utterly unique in the BPAL pantheon. Edited by LittleGreyKitten

Origin:

Imp from my Imp Pimp, Diana. :D

Preconceived notions:

When reviews started to come out for this one I nearly cried because I'd passed it up when I got to the "animalistic" part of the description. Animalistic invariably means "cat pee" on me, but everyone is raving about this one and I'm kicking myself at this point.

First sniff:

Hmm, interesting...definitely not a strong, animalistic, "cat pee" type of musk...more of a soft, barely there skin musk with a hint of herbs in the far, far background. This smells like nighttime to me for some reason...like night and crisp air. I'm really kicking myself at this point. :P

Wet on skin:

A bit like Oisin in it's musk and herbs approach, but certainly not the same by any stretch of the imagination. Buck Moon is clean and almost sweet in its muskiness...it's like the Blue Moon of musk scents if that makes any sense at all. Why didn't I order this? :D

Dry down:

Oh, this is so beautiful! It's light, slightly green and a tiny bit sweet, but musky at the same time. It's simultaneously clean and natural and intensely beautiful. I'm going to have to get a bottle of this, one way or another. :D

The bottom line:

The reviews were right, this is amazing! I'm so, so upset with myself that I passed this one up when I had the chance. :D

I got a strong lemony vibe from this one. There was something else though that I can't quite put my finger on that was mixing well with the lemon smell. I wasn't however overly fond of it. I really should have tried it again, because I didn't try all that much before a friend bought it from me. Now I wish I would have kept it and gave it a 2nd chance, because she said it turned powderish on her and she didn't like it.

Of all the Lunacies, Buck is one of my favorites. I think it's because of the subtle musk in it.

And yes, this is definitely one that you have to try on your skin. Smells completely different in the bottle!

I would love to have this make a reappearance sometime!

Lovely and subtle.

Lightly floral, and almost airy. I must admit I swapped this. And I think I may regret it. :P It's so soft and understated.

The musk is subtle in this one, but it's there. It's kind of green in a grassy way. It's not as animalistic as I had expected, it's actually kind of soft. It's going a little powdery, too.

Buck Moon smells a whole lot like Enraged Bunny Musk to my nose. The Bunny Musk is a little greener and Buck Moon is a little earthier, but they're very similar.

Think I'll give this one to the hubby and see what he thinks.

A very herbal Buck, drinking a vanilla latte, and wearing powder. Much nicer than the Boner Bambi I was expecting. Love the imp, but don't need a whole bottle.

Buck Moon - I originally tracked down a bottle of Buck Moon as a gift for my sister because it's a Lunacy blend that was released for one day only, and that day happened to be my sister's most recent birthday. Combine that with the fact that she loves musks, and well, it was a perfect gift for her. The bottle didn't arrive from the seller when I had expected it to, and as I started to worry that I wasn't going to get it on time, I decided to track down another bottle so I would have something to give to her. Well, the first bottle arrived followed shortly by the second bottle, which meant not only did my sister get a bottle, but I did, too. My sister loves it. She thinks it's incredibly beautiful. I can barely smell it. When I open the bottle, I catch the faintest whiff of something that's a little different from the air I normally breath, but not much different. When I apply it to my skin, I may as well be applying water that has a few crushed herbs in it. It does nothing for me. If I apply it to cotton and wear it in a scent locket -- again, nothing. It's the strangest scent for me in the way it completely does not show up.

Swap with LUSHarick. :P

In the Imp: A soft, airy sort of scent, green and musky and a little powdery and a little fruity and a little sweet. Good deal like Oisin, actually, but it's a bit smokier and earthier in feel; it does smell like night air wafting over unsullied land... high and clear and wild.

Wet: Musky amber and sweetness, brushed with herbs and something so incredibly familiar I can't place it. It's much more gentle and pretty and wearable than I expected; in fact, I kind of like it, and I'm not the biggest fan of Lunacies, generally speaking. It reminds me of Devil's Night, but with the sugary intensity and booze that wore out my nose in DN toned down several notches. I think there's a touch of some kind of citrus in here, too, and a white floral.

Dry: A perfectly unified mix of clean, sweet, musky, tart awesomeness. A napped, suede sort of blend... This is really the feminine counterpart to Oisin-- gentler and golden, instead of a strong pure white. The throw is a faint sort of aura of cool outdoorsiness. I have a sneaking suspicion this won't hang around on my skin for much longer-- at least not in this form, the musk itself might last for days-- but it's absolutely gorgeous while it lasts.

What a brilliant autumn scent. I'm sort of glad I never see bottles of this around, or I might be tempted to buy one. :D

[edit] OH! Oh! That incredibly familiar background-- it's the same backing note as in Tarot: The Star! It's not as strong here, and is, I think, blended with other things, but it's lending Buck Moon the same rich feel.

Edited by WidgetAlley

Bottle: forest, night air. seriously. amazing.

Wet: a hint of an aquatic-y note, but it's not terribly sharp. and a hint of green behind the musk coming up from behind.

Dry: there is a sweetness here, a creaminess. the note I was a little concerned about has softened it's tang considerably, but now I'm hoping this vanilla impression I'm getting won't misbehave.

Later: This is truly lovely, slightly musky, a hint of the sweet creaminess of a whitetail as it bounds away through the trees..a bit of green that grounds this for me...wow. I am so glad I kept searching - this is gorgeous.

In the imp: oh, wow. This is light and airy and beautiful, with just a whisper of musk.

On me, wet: a light, fresh, almost soapy pale musk - a warm, soft welcoming scent that is sweet but not stifling or at all *hot* like other musks can be. This smells like a warm spring night in dry woods, under the stars. Gorgeous.

On me, dry: This isn't animalistic to me - it's a very clean skin scent, if anything. Man, this fades fast and is quite faint but it's still beautiful and sweet and light - if a little soapy.

Verdict: I think I'll treasure my imp, but I'm not going to break my heart trying to get more.

I got an imp of this in a swap, and was glad to get it, because the reviews had convinced me that I was sorely mistaken in not buying this when it was out.

On, it struck me first as very like the soft buckskin of Coyote. There was also something sweet there, that was maddeningly familiar. Sweetgrass? No. What IS it? It is almost edible, but I can't figure out what it is.

When I read the notes, I was mightly surprised. No leather, no sweetgrass, nothing that I expected at all, though white musk is often sweet on me, so perhaps that was what I was reading as a sweet note.

Still, it smells like something edible, but what?

For an hour, maybe two, I adored this. I couldn't believe I'd missed it. I wondered, sadly, what my odds were of scoring more.

But as I got in bed, several hours later, the white musk had kicked into high gear, and I got the sweet powdery perfumy note that I'm not crazy about in white musk. It started to turn soapy as well. and the foody scent was making me crazy.

Until I sniffed my sheets. Which I spritz with a linen spray made with Obatala.

Then I got it. Coconut. Not the sweet kind, not the suntan lotion kind, but the soft watery coolness of the coconut in Obatala.

by this time, I had decided I no longer needed to track down more. Still, I'm glad to have my imp, and am thinking this might be nice layered with Coyote.

Buck Moon-

In Bottle: Very herbal and green-smelling.

Wet: Hmm, sweet musk and herbs. Light and pleasant.

Dry: This is not a heavy scent--there's just a hint of muskiness in the herbal here, and it's very nice!

Overall: I like!

Sweet and a little bit spicy; reminds me alot of Sudha Segara, but more earthy. I don't really get any musk with this. I don't know how to desribe this; it isn't what I expected at all, but its absolutely beautiful. Holy grail beautiful, even. Why, oh why, must Buck Moon be so hard to find?

ETA: I put this on 8 hours ago and I can still smell it... without my wrist plastered to my nose! This is absolutely my favorite bpal.

Edited by for_the_nonce

In the Bottle: Herbal in a way that is almost lemonish.

Wet: More lemony herbal

Drying: the herbal smell deepens into a more complex herbal, but unlike most herbals there's no sharpness to it. This Buck has not bite. There's something warm about it that's hard to place, and a grassy musk.

Dry: my skin is eating this until all that's left is a soft, warm, rendition of it's earlier self. I almost want to describe this scent as intimate. A scent to snuggle up to.

Overall: a gorgeous scent, no throw whatsoever on my skin so I'm trying it in a locket. It seems, as all scents do, to like my hair and want to hang about in it, which is fine by me.

In vial: crystalline is a very good description of this scent. light musk and herbs.

wet: definitely florals and herbs, with musk underneath. lovely so far!

dry: this gets muskier as it dries, and becomes the animalistic scent of its description. It doesn't get heavy though, on the contrary, the herbs and florals balance out the musks perfectly. I really like this!

Thank you for the Decant of this Natch!

From the vial Buck moon is a sweet green smelling ozone. The feeling doesn't really change much from vial to skin except there is more pines and the musk comes into play tempering the blend. I think it's more of the white musk that does it because it adds a cleaner feel. It reminds me of a more ozoney dublin, so lovers of the blend if you have a chance please try this as well because I would place them almost in the same family.

i am very surprised by how much i like this scent. it's herbal, which i am usually turned off by, but i think that the lab's 'skin scent' warms it up enough to suit me. musky, but not overly so. buck moon also has the barest whisper of citrus to my nose. this is one of those very pleasant, subtle scents. i may have to find a bit more :P

i wasn't too sure about this one, but i am loving it more every minute. it's musky but with a slight crispness (night time air?) and i definitely sense something animalistic, but in a more passive way, not animalistic as in ferocious :P it reminds me quite a lot of death cap without the dirt/earthy notes actually. i think this'll have to be a big bottle purchase, if i can get my hands on one...

In the bottle this is a light, clean meadow scent like a field after the rain, coupled with a deeper draught of throaty but pale musk.

On, it comes into its own with a vengeance. This is a foresty, herbal blend tempered by just a touch of rain and a faint breath of flowers. It's fresh and wild, and very clean. Normally such clean-smelling blends aren't for me, but this contains a beautiful musk akin to the one in Dorian that rounds this out perfectly and makes it just animal enough for beastly little me to wear.

For a perfume that begins very soft and unisex, it finishes quite masculine, going through a brief woody phase, and then into a light, boyish musk tinged with rain and forest. Wonderful, versatile, and intriguing. Recommended if you can get your hands on a decant.

My nickname for this scent is "Crème de Smex." In the bottle, it's indeed forest, herbs, and sweet air, but on my skin it goes to a dark, creamy musk. It actually gets stronger on my skin, radiating all around me (so that occasionally I get lovely whiffs), and just smells so appealing and sensual in a very primal way. To me, this is as much an aphrodisiac as TAL Flame of Desire, and I don't wear it very often because it's awfully distracting! Love, love, love Buck Moon. (No, not like that. :P )

783313490_jvz6w-Ti.jpg

Imp: Very light floral, with a tiny little lemon note -- lemon does not work well with me, so this may be a warning...

Wet: on, the lemon doesn't seem to be a problem! There is a light, airy floral scent with only a hint of musk, the scent itself is barely even there.

Dry: I fell asleep before this faded away, but there was nothing left when I woke up this morning, unlike some of the other lunacies (like Snow Moon) which leave enough to smell even after a night's sleep.

Verdict: This is nice, and I'm glad I have it but I won't try like heck to get more, as I do with some of the other lunacies, mostly the forest-y, snowy scents. It'll stay in my nightly lunar rotation as long as it lasts, though.

ETA: As this has rotated more and more, I am looking forward to it! I am getting the muskiness of this blend, as I didn't when I first tried it, and I love it. I hope I can acquire another bottle before mine runs out...

Edited by stellans

Oh my god, what a changeling.

Wet and on the skin: Lemon. :D Followed by lemon laundry soap. I fear my skin is going to do this to a distressing number of BPAL blends.

The lemon soap just seemed to stick around, and I was prepared to write it off to my annoying skin chemistry - but remarkably, the lemon has now faded far into the background.

I'm finally getting the musk. It's very light, very airy and gentle with a touch of warmth. There's a pretty whisper of a floral underneath. Not the musky buck I was hoping for, but It's quite lovely.

I'm not in love with the blend (like I thought I might), which is a good thing, since I'd rather not love a long-gone LE - but I'll hold onto the imp.

EDIT: Whoa. Hours and hours later and my lemon-nemesis has completely gone. Now I'm going to have to eat my words and say that I AM rather in love with this blend. The musk is divine. It's also triggered a major nostalgic memory - it smells like the perfume my first grade teacher wore (I was very fond of her). I can't believe it, it's such a memory scent! It's pure warm joy. :P Darnit. Now I'm going to be jumping if I see a bottle up for sale anywhere.

Edited by funkmoppet

Soft and pretty musks, seems somewhat feminine to my nose. Sweet and a little green. It's not so feminine that I wouldn't wear it, but I know I don't need to seek out more. Every now and then I think I can smell wine. Very pretty scent, strong and long lasting on my skin.