Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
pink.owl

Buck Moon

This Full Moon marks the time of the year when the new antlers of buck deer emerge from their foreheads, coated in soft velvet. This is a time of masculine vigor, thunder, balmy nights, glorious sunlight and hot winds. Buck Moon is an animalistic, deep scent: an amplification of one's natural musk coupled with forest herbs, a hint of clear, warm evening air and a crystalline spark of lunar oil.

I love the wild feel to this!
It's sweet, and I can smell the grassy-nature of it. Also as I apply it, there are some sort of wild type scents. I'm one of those strange ones who DOES appreciate civet and other more feral scents, so it really works for me.

It's so wild, yet sweet too all rolled into one scent. I love wearing this outside when I'm out for a day. :P It's sort of hard to stay concentrated on inside things when wearing it.

I find it a LOT more sexy than Honey Moon too!

Erg, having a really hard time describing this.

In the bottle all I could smell was something sour. Wet, there was a definite grass/dirt hint, and then...something else. I can't quite pick it out, but my husband called it "cleaning fluid," which isn't right. It does have that astringent bite of a clean or ozone scent, though.

Drying down, it got much, much sweeter, which is par for my skin. It's something like the vanilla "skin musk" of La Petit Mort, and now that I think about it, that was a little sour on me too. It's all right, but not what I was hoping for.

Basically I'm getting the musk instead of the dirt/grass, which is too bad. Time for my decant to find another home.

The clean, soft, perfect musk is what hits me first, and I am giddy thinking this is IT.

And then...that strange...sort of woody...pencil shavings!!! Gah!

But that phase passes, though some dry wood remians - sandalwood or cedar, I can't tell. It's a dry, crackling sort of wood, sun-baked and yet rich with oil, and it surprises me that I can wear this. It blends in with the soft musk, and the cool air.

It is slow sex in the woods, on a still evening at the end of summer when the ground is still warm but the night air chilling.

In the vial: Woodsy, herby, and sweet... almost a little foody in a strange way. It's too bright and smooth to be musky, if that makes sense. I can see the animalistic nature of this if I use my imagination, but it's not overly wild or feral.

Wet: The musk is coming out on my skin, very nicely. It's getting a little spicy, and slightly more sweet. It's like a much softer and appleless Verdandi.

Dry: Oh god, this reminds me so much of something, but as always, I can't put my finger on what. The woods are bright and wet now, and the musk has become a little powdery.

An hour later: Much sweeter, and much more musky. That mystery resemblance is still confounding me. Buck Moon really is a nice scent, and I think it'd be amazing on a man. This is hiking all day and setting up camp in time to watch the sunset in the arms of a man who is all too willing to let you bury your face into his neck to breathe in this feral scent.

Overall: A very lovely blend, surely, but not something I would wear as a fragrance. This would be more suited to a man, or perhaps to more earthy women.

Wet - a light, citrusy musk.

Dry - light and musky and very pretty. As everyone else has already said, it's much lighter than I expected. I really do like this, but it's not something I would really wear, so I am not hearbroken that I didn't get a bottle. I'll definitely keep the imp though!

On the wickedgoddess scale of 1 to 5, with 5 being best, this rates a 3.

Oh, this is lovely!! So soft and yummy! It's like forest and field on a clear summer's eve...I almost wish I'd bought two bottles. Almost, because I am a hoarder. Thus, it's a good thing I didn't, right?

Right?

Oro

Buck Moon is so beautiful. It is a very light scent that stays close.

In the bottle it's a bit cool and a bit citrusy, maybe grapefruit.

On the skin, it's very different. I'm not getting forest herbs. Instead, the citrus changes to a sweet mild slightly almond smell. And a warm clean musk.

On drydown, the almond become a bit more vanilla, a bit of spicy warmth all underlain with a clean glorious musk. This is very beautiful. I wish it were a bit stonger - the only way I can smell it is with my nose plastered to my wrist. As time goes on, it becomes an amazing skin scent - slightly sweet & spicy, musky.

I'd definately repurchase.

I managed to get an imp of this from the lovely decemberine, so I'm going to try my first full review.

In the bottle: It's light. Almost not there. Oddly, when I sniff the "imp stick" (there must be a better word for that, but I don't know it), it's a stronger musky floral with a kiss of citrus.

Wet: Musk! It leaps out at me when I rub my wrists together, then calms back down. florals are coming out to play with it. I get a little mild patchouli, but in the very back. It quiets down as it dries, until it's barely noticeable, just amped up skin smell. Like a body warmed from the inside out. It's passionate, and understated.

Drydown: I get a lot more musky citrus now. It's not a heavy musk, but an undeniable musk. The florals are still there, but napping in the background. I get more patchouli now too. It's more perfume-y and less like skin now, but still lovely. The more it dries, the more the musk seems to fade into the background leaving slightly patchouli citrus. This is the perfect scent for evenings outside barefoot. It has a decent throw, and lasts reasonably well.

Final: A musk smell, even for those who don't love musk. As I am in the latter category, I'm hanging on to my imp, but I don't need a bottle. Very nice!

at first: very fresh and clean. not what i expected at all.

on: wow. this is so clean and bright. i can't really explain it. it almost has a soap-like quality to it. oh, and there's something playdough-like to it, too. weird.

half an hour later: this is so bright! i love musk and this is just delicious musk. i adore this!!!

overall: it got a tad soapy toward the end, but i really like the brightness of this. unfortunately (or fortunately), i have a bottle of oisin that satisfies my bright musk requirement.

Buck Moon is very similar to bpal's Ochosi scent (GC located in the Excolo category). Ochosi's description is: "His ofrenda is the soft shea he shares with Obatala, forest herbs, and sprucewood arrow shafts." They share the same delicately sweet, creamy green scent. Buck Moon just has the addition of a powdery, fuzzy muskiness (same as in Ivanushka, another LE blend). I have trouble with green and grass type scents, but this smells green without screaming of grass or any particular herb. It makes me think of clover and water plants.

All in all, Buck Moon is a soft, creamy scent that mixes dewy greenery with powdery musk. It really does make me think of antlers (with fuzz still on them) and deer nuzzling through forest vegetation on a cool day.

I do catch odd whiffs from this every once in a while in the mid-stage (too powdery and smells oddly or tortilla chips), but the initial smell and the drydown are both very pretty and evocative on me.

ETA: With age, this has a drydown (after about an hour of wear) that's very powdery and green-earthy and bitter, like a very dry and bitter patchouli.. reminds me of a bad patchouli note I got from Starring Fragrance's. I wish that the beautiful green stage stuck around for longer.

Edited by Little Bird

like a softer Coyote. Coyote without the grasses and minus the amber. it's very light and lovely, mildly sweet.

it's not "me" in the slightest, but i'm glad i got to try it.

n.

In the bottle: Fresh, with a hint of lime. A bit sweet. I can smell the musk under it, as well. It also smells like it might go soapy on me; I get a hint of soap in the bottle. But still, my first thought: yum. *g*

Wet: The musk amps up a little bit right at first, and then the whole things starts to go slightly powdery. It's different from the powdery I usually get, though; this one has a definite sweetness to it. No soap at all, thankfully. (A lot of the time, an "herb" scent will go soapy on me.) This one is unusual in that, though I definitely get "powder" out of it, I still like it quite a lot.

Drydown: You know, for me the drydown on this one is very similar to the drydown I get from Dorian. I think it must be the lighter musks that do this, and it's lovely. (Quite a surprise for me; before discovering BPAL I would have told you that I unequivocally hate all musks.) Buck Moon is softer than Dorian though; not quite as sexy, and definitely fresher. I think "velvety" really is also a good way to describe it.

I'm not sure if I will wear this a lot or not. I still think I like Dorian better (thankfully, since I can order it off the site anytime I want!) but this is a more sophisticated scent; oddly enough, not quite as forceful. The drydown is very light; it has neither the throw nor the lasting power of Dorian, which might be what I want in certain situations. I will probably try to track down more of this, just to be on the safe side.

I bought an imp of this after passing on it when it was live. In the imp it is a light musky citrus smell. Very nice. On the musk is completely overpowering on my skin and just amps up the longer it is on. Definately like this better in the imp and am glad that I passed on buying a bottle as I would most likely sell it.

Rating (out of 5)

This smells really really good.

I somehow managed to get this in a swap.. i don't know how yet, but I did.. and I'm so happy!

This smells like a headier, muskier Dorian minus the tea. It's warm and spicy and musky and feral and just delicious. It also kind of reminds me of a sweeter Bengal without the pepper. It's a warm, brown, sugary smell with a spicy and slightly manly edge.

Not masculine, manly. I feel powerful and formidable in this scent. Great stuff.

The musk-and-forest description really tapped my fancy and tipped my wallet in favor of this blend. While my previous lunacy attempt (Milk Moon) was way too sweet and disappointing, I was going for broke on the promise of musk/wood/herbal notes.

In bottle: Very light and fresh. Reminds me immediately of Yggdrasil, with a deeper, musky and very mysterious base. Nice. The lunar oils are there too, but very much in the background.

Wet, on skin: A slightly less minty/herbal Yggdrasil, adding soft buttery florals underneath. This is off to a great start.

Drydown: Hours later it reminds me of the drydown of Bvlgari Black or Organza Indecence, my pre-BPAL perfumes, (both discontinued now) plus musk which equals deeelicious! It also seems to morph throughout the day, so I'll get the musk sometimes, then the night breeze, maybe a bit of lunar oils, and back to the musk, very mysterious. It shifts like a forest in the wind, harboring a wild creature that stares back at you but won't let you get close enough to touch. A keeper.

Though I like wearing this as scentual adornment, this blend has weight. I think it will be very good for meditation purposes. Now I understand the hype surrounding the lunacy oils. Amazing job, Beth.

Buck Moon,

A lovely forumite was kind enough to swap me an imp of this.

I recieved it in the post this morning & it is lovely.

To me this is quite a gentle scent really not as confrontational as I'd have thought by the description.

It's the scent of sweet herbs & a soft musk coupled with something clean & crystaline - so pretty much like the description really, the amazing thing is however that it has stayed on all day without any reapplication :D I'm really impressed with that.

It's subtle & gentle really nice, but having said that it doesn't have for me the 'WOW' factor that everyone was talking about. I'll be tempted to swap it if I get a really good offer for it I think :P

This is very unusual.

Skin smell and light musk with grass and a hint of coconut.

I usually despise coconut in all it's forms but here it seems right. It's gentle with minimal throw.

I like it but have yet to decide if I love it.

This is very unusual, but beautiful.

Its a very soft musk, but there's also under currents of grasses, and a slight touch of coconut and vanilla. Its almost a creamy musk once it dries.

My dog is part akita, part border collie, so she has this beautiful soft, thick coat. I generally bathe her with a special oatmeal shampoo. This reminds me of sitting in front of the fire place and her snuggling up next to me (once she's forgiven me for the bath) and she smells so nice, like oatmeal cookies and soft fur.

I wish I had bought a bottle when it was up.

First sniff: I’m baffled. Truly baffled. I have no clue what this smells like. It’s dark, deep and round, but as for an actual scent… I got nothin’. I do know I like it. And it reminds me of starlight, which is weird, because it isn’t anything like I’d think starlight would smell like (which is more along the lines of Yog-Sothoth). A clearing in a starlit forest, and the night is absolutely still… holding its breath and waiting.

Wearing: Soft, cool and mysterious. At the edge of the forest, looking out into the starry darkness… the stag is close by, near enough that I can feel his presence, but if I reach out he’ll vanish into the woods. No stag of flesh and blood could ever carry this scent… this creature is a silver shadow in the night.

Holy hell. This is Harry’s Patronus.

This scent can only be described as laying naked with your lover on a sheepskin rug before a roaring fire in an old cabin in the heart of an ancient forrest in the middle of winter.

The smell of warm fur rug, a rustic wooden cabin and warm sexual musk with a hint of vanilla...

*hugs bottle* My favorite Lunar Oil, next to Blood Moon.

I remember not being very enthusiastic about this scent the first time I tried it. But lets see what happens the second time around.

It smells like sweet water and grains. Almost like what beer would smell like before it is fermented.

or like Mead. this is very unique and light. has a grass note.

I can't figure out whether I like this or not. it is a nice sweet scent but it bothers me somehow.

and I have figured it out, when it dries down it smells like chalky violets. and I dislike violets.

oh well.

In the Imp this smelled very herbal-y. Very nice, clean and warm... so not the "watery" smell I often associate with "clean" scents.

On my skin ~ Green herbals, with no undertone of musk, at all.

On the drydown it turned into an unknown, but often smelled, floral fragrance, which was nice, dusky and slightly powdery... the scent has very good throw and lasted a very long time (6 plus hours)

Sadly, this scent is just not "me" Clean notes do not go well on my skin and have a tendency to give me a raging headache.

Buck Moon was not an exception.

:P

I get a muted citrus note on first application, immediately followed by a bloom of herbs. Soon after that, however, I'm slammed over the head with an almost feral musk, and it isn't pleasant on me. Surrounding the musk is are hints of misty forest and ozone, but it's difficult to get around the dominant note. Ugh.

After a while, the musk fades a little, but on me it's still strongly animalistic. This is a wild scent, a field and forest scent on me. It's fascinating, but it just doesn't work the way I'd hoped it would.

I don't have the best of luck with the lunacies, but, when I love one, I LOVE LOVE LOVE it, and Buck Moon is the one I love most of all.

I'm tempted to make this review a two-word one ("F***ing awesome"), but, for the sake of anyone looking at the swaps forum and debating, I'll try to elaborate.

There's no denying that Beth's copy influences our perceptions of a scent, but, this time, she's wasn't so much 'influencing' as she was spelling the whole damned thing out. Crystalline, in particular, being one adjective that couldn't NOT have been included in this description. Crystalline is exactly what it is. Herbal and fresh, glossy and backlit. This is sacred sex in moonlight.

"Amplification" is another word she couldn't have ignored, because Buck Moon does indeed smell like freshly washed skin. This musk is so clear and wearable that for the life of me I cannot figure out why it isn't in everything she makes. Beth, how did you get this? how did you make this? Just...how?? This is extraordinary; I've never smelled anything like it.

I passed on this one when it came out because I thought it was going to be white musk. I'm a moron. This is NOT white musk. It's special, and I have finally, finally found a way to feel sexy without some of the more classic olfactory distractions.

I can kinda-sorta see where people would compare this to Oisin, but, I suspect that those who make those comparisons got a heavier dose of "Night air" and not nearly as much skin musk as I did. Get them both if you can find them and afford them, but, if you have to make the choice, go for Buck Moon. It's unreal.

Just leave enough for me to snag, please. This bottle won't last three months. :P

Edited by couscous

I've tried this several time, each time intending to do a review, but saying I'd have to try it again to do a review. The first two times was slightly different than the last time I've tried this.

Buck Moon starts out with a whiff of sweet coconut--a very light coconut, yet still the strongest note. The last time I tried it, it ended up smelling of light coconut the whole way through, except with a hint of green musk (is there such a thing?) coming out after it dried, and perhaps sweet grass (sweetgrass! I love sweetgrass as a concept). The first two times, after the coconut, herbs (not sweet) popped out, accompanied by the "green" musk. I didn't like the herbs--well, I typically don't like scents when the herbs are the main focal point, so that's no surprise. Then, it got musk-y in a slightly acrid way. Not white musk, nor the green musk of before. I really liked the coconut in this scent, because it's not prominent, but rather ethereal.

Overall, a nice scent, but not something I feel that strongly about.