Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Cinnamon girl...

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Egg Moon yet! Serious cinnamon going on there...

I'm actually pretty interested in finding more of the incense-y/deep/dark/bark/earth like cinnamon. I'm not a fan of the 'red hot' scent as someone called it, but I super super like the depth of this scent on me when paired with darker things.

I saw a few to this accord earlier.

Anything specific?

Edit: As cinnamon is by far my favorite note, I'm taking this supa-serious.

Edited by Deceitfuldescender

I've got a newbie recommendation request / what-went-wrong question.

I love the scent of cinnamon (or at least I thought I did), but I prefer the sugary sweet type of cinnamon (cinnamon cake, cinnamon rolls, etc.). Philosophy's Cinnamon Buns and Williams Sonoma Spiced Chesnut (with cinnamon and clove) are two of my favorite lotions.

So, for my first order, I bought a few scents with cinnamon/spice in them: Pumpkin Latte, Shub-Niggurath, and Chimera. And they all went horribly wrong...

Pumpkin Latte was my least favorite. For the first 3-4 hours it was cinnamon gum + cinnamon potpourri + cinnamon red hots = SHARPSPICYPUNGENTSPICYHOT. Once that finally faded, I got pumpkin rind and a teensy dab of vanilla (but for a while there, I really wanted to wash it off). :(

Shub-Niggurath went on smelling like fresh cut ginger root: slightly sharp and almost lemony. After a few minutes, though, it became cinnamon potpourri + cinnamon-infused pinecones. A few hours after that it turned into a woodsy men's cologne with a hefty dose of cinnamon.

Chimera is my favorite of the three (but that's not saying much). It went on smelling like a cinnamon stick: not too spicy, not sweet at all, almost 'neutral.' Basically, it smelled like I accidentally dropped a canister of ground cinnamon on myself. After a few hours, it developed a hint of sweetness (or that could be wishful thinking), but for the most part, it slowly faded away.

Now for the question portion of this post. Has anyone else had these reactions? Are the scents simply too 'new'? Maybe they need to age and mellow a bit.

Or ...does the lab's cinnamon note hate me? Maybe there's something wonky in my skin chemistry that's absorbing everything sweet and amping up the hot spice. :cry2:

Please let me know if you've had similar issues and maybe -- hopefully -- found a cinnamon scent that worked (i.e. was sweet & foody vs. spicy, woodsy, masculine, etc.)

THANKS.

Now for the question portion of this post. Has anyone else had these reactions? Are the scents simply too 'new'? Maybe they need to age and mellow a bit.

Or ...does the lab's cinnamon note hate me? Maybe there's something wonky in my skin chemistry that's absorbing everything sweet and amping up the hot spice. :cry2:

Please let me know if you've had similar issues and maybe -- hopefully -- found a cinnamon scent that worked (i.e. was sweet & foody vs. spicy, woodsy, masculine, etc.)

THANKS.

I haven't tried the other two but the imp I have of Shub-Niggurath isn't harsh or lemony at all. I have a feeling that is was pretty old by the time I received it so I think you should try ageing yours. A couple other sweet/warm/foody cinnamon blends that are great are Pickled Imp(from Carnival Diabolique) and Gingerbread Poppet(past yule) neither are available right now but you should be able to find them in the forums.

I haven't tried the other two but the imp I have of Shub-Niggurath isn't harsh or lemony at all. I have a feeling that is was pretty old by the time I received it so I think you should try ageing yours.

Yeah. I'm noticing now how folks mention that 'aged' Chimera smells like cinnamon buns.

I wonder how long these need to age before the strength of the cinnamon burns off.

I got cinnamon from : Sin, Satyr, Love Me, Chimera, and Alice's Evidence. I happen to love cinnamon, so these blends all make me super happy.

On me Defututa is really cinnamony - I love the scent of cinnamon but my skin does something weird to it, and really amps it up.

I'm in the mood for a super cinnamon-vanilla scent.

Dragon's Milk is sort of what I'm thinking of, but more cinnamon and no dragon's blood. The smell I'm thinking of is sort of like vanilla-cinnamon french toast.

Dragon's Milk is sort of what I'm thinking of, but more cinnamon and no dragon's blood. The smell I'm thinking of is sort of like vanilla-cinnamon french toast.

I'm definitely not the most well-versed BPALer, being still new to everything, but the first thing I thought of was Eclipse. The notes are "A delicious blend of bitter almond, vanilla, frankincense and heliotrope, with a drop of cinnamon." I know it says that it's only a drop of cinnamon, but on me this is definitely a sweet cinnamon-vanilla scent. I'm not sure I'd go so far as to say french toast though... but if you have a neglected imp of it laying around, or you're contemplating a new order, I'd give it a try. :)

Have you tried Chimera?

On me, it's a nice resinous cinnamon bun. Kind of like... a cinnamon bun glazed in Snake Oil. Very yummy!

Thanks for the good ideas everyone! I think I have some of those in my stash, I just need to do some re-testing.

On me, Chimera is a sweet light sugary cinnamon, but Playful Wooden Mallets is a true spicy cinnamon, unlike any other BPAL cinnamon I have tried.

Goodness. I was randomly picking imps from my drawer to test, and came up with Inferno. I was going to not even skin-test, as it was so cinnamony and I was nervous, but I thought, well, at least I'll know if I had a bad skin reaction to it! So I dabbed, like, a dot. Or okay, a small comma.

Had to wash it off. It was not an instant burn, but it's about 20 minutes after now and my wrist had a red mark the size of my thumb and still itchy, burny, and sensitive to touch.

Well, at least I know now! :rofl:

Funny though, I've tried a number of things on this thread but those have not ever given me this reaction. I suppose it really matters how much cinnamon is in the blend.

Try the Gorobble, it's supposed to smell like burned marshmallows (which I think fits perfectly) but my bf tells me it smells like sweet cinnamon and cinnamon rolls. So does my collegues. I am officially a walking bun. D:

bumping this for new recs! I adore cinnamon in my perfumes. I'm looking for something where its noticeable but isn't the main note. I think it adds such a sexy vibe. 

Edited by ziggystardust13

Velvet: cocoa cin. 

Kobold Barista if you like coffee. 

Adventuresome Encounters - the cin is subtle, but delicious. 

Bengal is GOOOOORGEOUS

Eclipse for an almond-cin blend

Inferno (this one went soapy on me - beware)

Plunder... my notes on this say "Christmas Market," so there's that

Shub-Niggurath is like buttery cinnamon

Uruk has enough cinnamon to give me an allergic reaction, but it smells good!

My favorite GC with cinnamon is Wrath (Sin and Salvation/Seven Deadly Sins) - dragon’s blood spiked with black pepper, clove, and cinnamon.

I like BPAL's dragon's blood note a lot, and I like spices but not at all foody as a scent type.

On 7/21/2023 at 11:13 PM, ziggystardust13 said:

bumping this for new recs! I adore cinnamon in my perfumes. I'm looking for something where its noticeable but isn't the main note. I think it adds such a sexy vibe. 

I can't usually do cinnamon, (amp it to high heaven) but the few I've found that I adore are Defutata, Hatta, I Wish I Were Your Mirror, Behind the Veils, and Adventuresome Encounters.  Dead Leaves & Cinnamon Buns, Dark Chocolate Pumpkin Pie, The Carousel and Sara, Mother Bear are also really nice. 

1 hour ago, ziggystardust13 said:

So far my favorite combo has been Snake Oil with a tiny bit of Chimera. The combination is out of this world!

Have you tried "Please Scream Inside Your Snake Oil?"  Maybe a similar vibe but extra foody. "Sin in the Pumpkin Patch" is pretty great if you can find it. The sexy resins have just a touch of foodiness and I think the cinnamon is amped up a touch from the pumpkin spice. Lastly, I'll draw your attention to "The Obsequies of an Egyptian Cat," - Sweet myrrh, saffron, red labdanum, ambrette seed, terebinth resin, Damascus rose, honey, cardamom, and cacao-infused patchouli. No cinnamon, but with the cardamom, myrrh, patchouli, and honey, there's a really gorgeous, slinky golden spiced vibe you might really dig. 

You're making me want to go wear cinnamon now. 😁 I like the note, it just tends to really drown out everything else. I find Ceylon cinnamon works a lot better for me though. Do you register any difference between cassia and Ceylon?