Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Ina Garten Davita

Cinnamon girl...

i second satyr, which i tried for the first time yesterday. very very heavy on the cinnamon...though i couldn't particularly see myself wearing it during spring...much too hot to be wearing a flamin' scent. then again, i'm in california, where spring is more like summer. i would definitely go for satyr during the cooler months.

Sacred Whore of Babylon = spicy gardenias :P

(for summer)

Edited by Browneyes

My favourite cinnamon scent is Wrath--which I find is better for fall/winter, a little heavy (or hot? :P ) for spring/summer.

My favourite scent overall is the sadly discontinued Tarot: The World, which has a nice hint of cinnamon in it, too. It's balanced enough that I wear it all year 'round. :D

Tintagel is definitely a winter cinnamon (it's also the only cinnamon blend I've ever tried that gave me a reaction). Chimera really is fantastic, and I would wear it year-round. Al-Shairan is a spring-bordering-on-summer blend, as the clove and cinnamon blend together. Wrath is a really bright cinnamon, Priala is fall/winter (dry cinnamon bark). And then there's Three Witches, which you should never look for ever, ever because it's just dreadful and not the ultimate fall cinnamon blend, not at all.

/it's miiiiiiine, allllll miiiiiine!!! :P :D

Absolutely Chimera -- you cannot be a cinnamon lover and not want that! It is cinnamon bliss. And I don't really see it as a seasonal scent at all -- I'll wear it any time!

For other seasonal cinnamon recs:

Spring: Maybe Harlot, and I'd also recommend Frumious Bandersnatch -- I'm not sure it's actually got cinnamon in it, but it certainly smells like it does! And is fairly light and fresh.

Summer: The Lion, definitely, and Bengal. Also Chimera (though as I said I'll wear that whenever).

Fall: Priala, Sin and Umbra. And maybe Chimera.

Winter: Tintagel definitely. And I'd probably wear the ones I listed for fall in the winter as well. And Chimera. :D

Not that I'm, er, fixated with Chimera or anything. Maybe I should go put some on now. :P

I apologize for not replying sooner. cat caught on fire.

OMG - how did I miss this? Now that I stopped laughing, I hope this was a metaphor and if not, a minor accident!

I just got through merging a couple of threads that were vatriations on the cinnamon-y theme and since it's the time of year that spicy scents start to rule, I figured I would bump this one.

Ah hah! I found you!

I'm a cinnamoholic who can't take the a lot of the other notes in most of the blends. So far, my cinnamon loves are Inferno, Uranus, Wrath and Eclipse. I couldn't wear Chimera, Priala, Highwayman, or Bengal.

So far in my BPALdom, I haven't even looked heavily at the Snake Pit, but I notice in the search that Saw-scaled Viper has cinnamon and ginger (which I also am rather fond of) in it. But what is cassia like? And does the cinnamon really pop out a lot?

Same with Bloodlust and Al-shairan: is there a lot of patchouli in these?

Saw-Scaled Viper is very dry, and very heavy on the ginger, IMO. I don't get cinnamon at all from it.

I love me some Cinnamon too - I still haven't tried Inferno, Uranus or Wrath, so thanks for the recommendations. And since I also can't wear Chimera (too sweet), Priala (too powdery) or Bengal (too saffrony), I'm suspecting that we have similar taste!

Anyway, about the Saw-Scaled Viper - it was fiery, but the cassia is a very strong stale cola, stale root beer scent to me. It killed any hope that I would like it. It's also a prominent note in Phantom Calliope, if you've tried that.

I'm liking All Night Long the best so far...

Ah hah! I found you!

I'm a cinnamoholic who can't take the a lot of the other notes in most of the blends. So far, my cinnamon loves are Inferno, Uranus, Wrath and Eclipse. I couldn't wear Chimera, Priala, Highwayman, or Bengal.

So far in my BPALdom, I haven't even looked heavily at the Snake Pit, but I notice in the search that Saw-scaled Viper has cinnamon and ginger (which I also am rather fond of) in it. But what is cassia like? And does the cinnamon really pop out a lot?

Ah hah! I found you!

I can't help you with the last two, but I do love me some Saw-Scaled Viper so I'll throw in a third opinion on that. On me it's one of the most (if not the most) spicy blend I've tried, it's the only cinnamon ballsy enough to actually burn my neck if I apply it there (and I've tried a lot of spicy BPALs with no such reaction). I'm sure there is someone else who could be of more help in this particular area, but I personally can't tell much of a difference between cinnamon and cassia in most blends. From what I understand the two are related, and I've seen cassia likened to a stronger version of cinnamon. In SSV particularly, I really only get a ginger note and a cinnamon/cassia note to the spiciness, so yes in my opinion the cinnamon does pop. :P It's particularly good aged a couple of months too, the ginger becomes less sharp and backs down a little, so more cinnamony goodness.

Ah hah! I found you!

Bloodlust is predominantly dirty (yeah, something probably failed regarding my skin chem); dark, dirty, DUSTY.

Just my $0.02

Ah hah! I found you!

I love Bloodlust, but I don't get any cinnamon spicyness from it. On me, it's very heavy on the vetiver and patchouli. For a spicy dragon's blood blend, you might try Tanin'iver. One of the notes is cassia, and when I first opened the bottle, all I could smell was cinnamon. I must amp cassia, because that is the predominant note when I wear it- mmmm all cinnamon and dragon's blood.

I love me some Cinnamon too - I still haven't tried Inferno, Uranus or Wrath, so thanks for the recommendations. And since I also can't wear Chimera (too sweet), Priala (too powdery) or Bengal (too saffrony), I'm suspecting that we have similar taste!

Anyway, about the Saw-Scaled Viper - it was fiery, but the cassia is a very strong stale cola, stale root beer scent to me. It killed any hope that I would like it. It's also a prominent note in Phantom Calliope, if you've tried that.

I'm liking All Night Long the best so far...

On me, Chimera, Priala and Bengal were bitter and...well.. gross. :D

For me, Inferno is almondy-cinnamon. Uranus was cinnamon straight-up. And Wrath is Dragon's Bloody, with just the hint of cinnamon. (But I love Dragon's Blood too, so it works well. :) )

As for SSV - I'm not sure if I've tried Cassia yet. *goes to search* Okay, according to the main site search, I haven't. (Although I may have come across it in an LE and not have noticed..? )

I've passed over Phantom Calliope for the patchouli, which is almost always hippy-ish on me - and once or twice has managed to give me headaches. :P

I can't help you with the last two, but I do love me some Saw-Scaled Viper so I'll throw in a third opinion on that. On me it's one of the most (if not the most) spicy blend I've tried, it's the only cinnamon ballsy enough to actually burn my neck if I apply it there (and I've tried a lot of spicy BPALs with no such reaction). I'm sure there is someone else who could be of more help in this particular area, but I personally can't tell much of a difference between cinnamon and cassia in most blends. From what I understand the two are related, and I've seen cassia likened to a stronger version of cinnamon. In SSV particularly, I really only get a ginger note and a cinnamon/cassia note to the spiciness, so yes in my opinion the cinnamon does pop. B) It's particularly good aged a couple of months too, the ginger becomes less sharp and backs down a little, so more cinnamony goodness.

I like the sounds of that. ;) Also, as noted above, I haven't consciously tried anything with cassia in it..so I may have to try that too.

Bloodlust is predominantly dirty (yeah, something probably failed regarding my skin chem); dark, dirty, DUSTY.

Just my $0.02

Patchouli dirty? Because I think that may be the way it turns out on me too. *sigh* I think I've been doomed to be unable to wear Beths' blood scents.

I love Bloodlust, but I don't get any cinnamon spicyness from it. On me, it's very heavy on the vetiver and patchouli. For a spicy dragon's blood blend, you might try Tanin'iver. One of the notes is cassia, and when I first opened the bottle, all I could smell was cinnamon. I must amp cassia, because that is the predominant note when I wear it- mmmm all cinnamon and dragon's blood.

Thanks for the rec! Dragon's Blood + cinnamon = :D

I've got a great single-note cinnamon body wash that I got from Bath Junkie...the only problem is that once I'm out of the bath, I can't smell the cinnamon that well. In the bottle it's very strong. Don't know what's with that. Anyway, I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for a GC scent that I could mix with it and give it a little more oomph? I think an imp would be about the perfect amount. I was tempted to dump my imp of Machu Picchu in, but I only have the one imp, and I'm loath to give it up until I get a 5mL.

Hi there!

Here is a thread with the most cinnamony BPAL reccomendations, so probably one of those would work best. I don't have many cinnamon scents so I can't give super personal reccomendations. But one note, many people are very sensitive to cinnamon and cassia and other spicy components, so I would be sure to test it on your skin before adding it to an entire body wash. No idea how the dilution of oil would effect the rash making potential, but perhaps one of the lovely forumites could answer your question if you posted here in the scented bath products thread if you're concerned about that.

A lot of people have that issue with wash-off products, it's kind of the nature of the beast not to cling to your skin. What might help is choosing a complimentary moisturizer, or an unscented one and mixing the imp into that, and that might help your skin keep the cinnamon scent better than adding more fragrance to the wash. Or, triple threat, washing with the cinnamon wash, a cinnamon-y moisturizer, and then applying a cinnamon-y BPAL--you should be spicy for hours!

Thoughts for potential mixing or accenting: Chimera, Bengal, Plunder, and Inferno from the GC, Priala from Carnaval Diabolique.

A lot of people have that issue with wash-off products, it's kind of the nature of the beast not to cling to your skin.

I had a Bath and Body Works "Red Hot" 3-in-1 Body Wash/Shampoo/Bubble bath...that one stuck to my skin, but it had that added sugary smell. I used all of it, because I am a cinnamon FREAK, but I really wanted a pure cinnamon version. And Victoria's Secret Love Spell hangs on well. Actually, most all of my body washes linger aside from my single-note cinnamon.

I've got an imp of Chimera on the way to me from the lab...I may have to try part of it in the body wash and find me a good unscented or lightly-scented lotion to mix the rest with. (Ooh, I wonder how it'd be in B&BW Warm Vanilla Sugar...may have to try that...)

Seconding: Bengal (honeyed cinnamon) and Plunder (heavy duty cinnamon).

Adding: Enraged Groundhog Musk (chocolate-cinnamon), Red Phoenix (orange-cinnamon), Eclipse (cinnamon-almond), and Bakeneko (orange-cinnamon-tea). :P

for a slightly sweet cinnamony mix-in, Chimera is gold. On some it turns to cinnamon buns, but for me it is just a sweet, rich cinnamon.

I would swear I'm getting cinnamon in Sundew. And if I banish all the sundew-floral/flower images from my mind, I think this would be a great harvest-fall-spice blend. On me, it smells like what I thought The Lion would smell like based on everyone's reviews.

I'm a little shock it hasn't been mentioned, but: PAÍS DE LA CANELA.

H-omg. The cinnamon in this blend is a deep, rich, satisfying, REDOLENT cinnamon. It isn't a sweety sweet scent, as it is cut with the scent of fresh greens (like big tropical leaves.) I would say more of a 'savory' cinnamon than sugar-cinnamon.

This particular scent makes me happy as apple pie (but smells less sweet than it.)

país de la canela isn't cinnamony on me at all! it is spicy but it doesn't burn the hell out of my skin.

the one that does: jailbait! smells so good but is just cinnamon-lollipop-agony on my skin. ditto my most recent bottle of the dodo, the cassia is crazy-strong.

Any of you cinnamon lovers tried Sin? It is really delicious spicy red musk and cinnamon on me. And I got lots of cinnamon from All Night Long as well. Bengal was a huge fail on me so far as spices go, all I got was a burning rash and extremely dusty/musty honey.

Sin's yummy.

My favorite cinnamon blend for itself is Priala, but you have to like that dark incensy thing that goes with it. My favorite blend with cinnamon in it, though? El Dia de los Reyes......just throw away your usual feelings about foodies and breathe in the rich, cinnamon-y chocolate!

I'd recommend Harlot for any true cinnamon lover, too - it was too much like roses and red-hots for me, but that's because I wanted less cinnamon in it, not MOAR like it has!!