Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
blood*rose*flowers

Strawberry Moon 2005

Strawberry Moon is a blending of strawberries and cream with light, dry lotus and soft ylang ylang and a touch of green tea and sage to bring it closer to Earth.

Wow I feel both honored and a little frightened to be the first to review this one.

In the Bottle: Strawberries and cream with a hint of an edge almost liquory, though I think its the lotus or the tea that is giving it some of that hint.

On wet: The strawberries are fresh and ripe sitting in cream with a green smell that almost hints at the leaves still being on. Quickly to me it gets even berrier. Fresh and yummy. It smells like some yummy mixed strawberry drink you would enjoy in the summer.

After a few minutes it gets a bit milder on the berry and the cream and lotus start to even the scent out. The berry is hiden after time but the cream and lotus are blending divinely on me. I wish it still had a touch more of the strawberry but overall am super happy with this scent. The funniest part is this is not nearly as sweet as you would think.

ETA: I just came across this review and WOW! That was a long time ago! I want to say that over the many years of wearing this scent what has made me the happiest is the lovely almost Strawberry Daqurri scent, it has a fresh, clean and yummy sweet scent that is summer to me.

Thanks Beth for making this scent, but at the same time you are so evil for making me love this rare scent soooooooooooooo much. I need MORE!!! :P Edited by blood*rose*flowers

Strawberry Moon

In the bottle: yummy! Smells like real strawberries and cream. And I mean real strawberries, because it's not all sweet-it has a fruity tang.

Wet on skin: still strawberries, but now an even tangier note comes through-it's probably green tea-and I can smell the sage, which is surprisingly nice with the strawberries.

Dry on skin: this is a really nice scent. Fresh, tangy-sweet strawberries with green sage and tea. This reminds me of the times when I used to go strawberry picking-you can smell the strawberries and the greenery.

After a while: the scent sweetens once more-it now has a syrup like quality-it's like the strawberry syrup that remains after eating a bowl of strawberries with sugar. The greenery is still there. I can picture myself sitting in the park, having a picnic and eating strawberries, or strawberry jam on scones. I'm wondering if it's the lotus that's giving that sweet scent as well?

The drydown is almost identical to that of Pink Moon's-sweet sugary syrupy strawberries.

Verdict: this is a lovely, delicious strawberry scent. Whilst Pink Moon was sweet strawberries drizzled with syrup and sprinkled with sugar, this is the scent of freshly picked strawberries. It has the sweetness and the tartness of a true strawberry, with added green tea and sage to give a feeling of the greenery and the leaves of the strawberry plant and the grass, bathed in warm sunshine. Then the scent sweetens again and it's like strawberries and cream, dusted with sugar, eaten at a picnic on a sunny June day. This brings back memories of strawberry picking and then making sorbets and jam with my mum…it's truly wonderful.

Edited by yeahbutnobut

Strawberry Moon is a bit of a toughie - I adore strawberry scents with a passion that has yet to be rivalled, and as much as I am impressed with the blend of this bottle - I'm probably going to have to give this Lunacy another go before I make any final verdicts.

Anyhow, let's get on with it shall we...

In the Bottle: Fat, plump, ripe berries hanging still attached to the bush. There's a smattering of leafy green, and just the barest hint of earthiness that smacks of fresh, ripe, ready-to-be-plucked strawberries.

Wet: Within half an hour, the berryness has reached it's climax, a bit of the sage perks up right before dry down and amplifies the visual idea that you're plopped down in front of a strawberry bush, readying to gorge yourself (this goes doubly if you've ever gone strawberry picking)

Dry down: The strawberry softens up slightly, and I detect a bit of a floral note (what exactly, I'm afraid I couldn't tell you) - the hints at leafy green are totally gone now and I’m left with the overripe fruit - not the essence of the fruit, mind, but something that smacks of the real deal (bloody incredible, really). After about an hour or so it softens up a little too much with my chemistry, and morphs into a pink strawberry eraser... a bit of plastic.

Fortunately, pink strawberry bargain bin erasers remind me of my childhood - specifically, sniffing the smelly variety of those erasers at the back of the classroom when the teacher wasn't looking - so the blend's made me very nostalgic all in all.

The throw for the first hour and half is very strong, and gradually it dies down to cling to the area where the oil has been applied.

Verdict: A lovely summer blend, I'm not so sure if I want to smell like the erasers all the time, but the onset really was worth the dry down.

In the bottle

Oh nice, sweeter than Pink Moon.

On

Wow. Let's see if it passes the 10 second rule. (Pink Moon did not)

30 minutes

It smells herby.

Throw:

a bit more than average.

Scent category:

Fruity

Summary

It smells like a big sweet strawberry. But it does turn a little more green/herbal and more floral as well as it dries. It also fades quite a bit after about 20 minutes on my skin. Darn it.

Purchase again?

No

1-5 rating (5 being best)

In the bottle there was a more artificial strawberryesque scent to it, with a whiff of something sharper adding to the chemical feeling. But once applied, it all melts into strawberry deliciousness, not artificial at all, and not lollipop-strawberry sweet. There's just enough floral scent in this blend to keep it from being foody. If there were a kind of flower with a strawberry scent, this is what it would smell like, if that makes any sense at all, which I doubt. :P It's a creamy red scent, perfect for summer.

Edited to add that I think this blend would be a good one to experiment with layering. Layering with fruity blends to go more fruity, or with florals (such as rose) to go more floral.... it seems like it would lend itself well to that sort of play.

Edited again, a couple of years later, as a caution to those who are tempted to buy a bottle for mega-bucks on eBay, etc.: Strawberry Moon does not tend to age well. Apparently there are some exceptions to this, but quite a few forumites have had theirs turn to nail-polish remover (acetone) smell or burnt plastic or something else. These earlier reviews are for fresh Strawberry Moon, not aged. Caveat emptor!

Edited by oakmoss

In the bottle Strawberry Moon is definitely strawberry- like my Body Shop Strawberry perfume oil, the smell of my Strawberry Shortcake doll (from childhood-the one that blew scented kisses), and the glade candles my mother just loves swirled into one. There is no complexity or mystery about it. Fruit + cream = the end.

The green tea never showed, nor did the sage. The other notes were faint and whisper like.

On my skin it stays much the same, with the smell of Pink Moon poking around in the background for the first half hour. After that, almost everything fades except for the cheap lollipops of my youth, the kind they always handed out at church and the doctors.

I don’t dislike this, but I am sorely disappointed. Chemistry?...maybe…and maybe I just suck at picking blends. My last three orders have been absolute failures; perhaps that’s a sign to give up.

Edited by Digital_Hypoxia

in the bottle it reminds me of strawberry daqueri :P

wet: still strawberry daqueri

as it dries it retains very much the same scent is just gets a bit softer.

beautiful

This is nice. I like the intense strawberry at first. It calms down to a creamy scents that makes me think/crave strawberry shortcake with green tea. I love this, and the subtle flowers are in the background for me :P

Holy hell, this is GORGEOUS!!

Strawberry Moon is very sweet in the bottle, but the moment it hits my skin, I get a thick, juicy, sour strawberry smell. After a while, the tea makes itself known, and I do smell a bit of floral about it.

MMMMM, FRUITY! LOVE!

In the bottle, a heavy, strawberry bubble yum, more or less. On skin, immediately goes to a gorgeous field of strawberries and/or the smell of fresh strawberries when you walk by them in the grocery store, including the green~YUMMY!!

After about 20 minutes +, a lovely creaminess emerges...Very much like a thick, rich & creamy, strawberry milk shake. It's sweet, but deliciously so!!

I got to try my friend's Strawberry Moon. It's a lovely strawberry fields smell for a good 20 minutes, fresh strawberries on the bush, a little tart. I never get any cream though, eventually the lunar oils come out and ruin it for me. Pretty typical for my skin. I liked the first 20 minutes though :P .

Edited by ChupaChup

Wonderful!! Smells just like Strawberries n cream Creme Savers. Soooo, yummy, this one's a wrist licker, lol. The lunar oils smell so lovely under berries, and I'm a fruity lover, so this one was made for me. So glad I ordered two bottles, I'll be slathering this one on. :P

Opened the lid and got a headful of Strawberry Bubble Yum gum. I was maybe 11 the last time I chewed that stuff.

How in the world does she do it? I bought this for my sister who loves Vickies Strawberry and Champange, so right away I am glad for that.

So terribly sweet. So wonderfully pink though. I had my daughter be the tester. It does dry down to a less sweet version, much like gum really, after about 7 minutes chewing.

I hope sis likes it. Otherwise, off to the swaps! :P

My Impression: Strawberries & Cream that dries into something a little more herbal than what it does while still wet...which in this case is wonderful. While wet I got the Strawberry bubble gum thing, but after it dries it really is a more natural true smelling Strawberry scent. I think after drydown it is the green tea that I sense making it a fully rounded scent. It is lovely indeed. :P

In the bottle: This is pure strawberries and cream in the bottle. Delicious! There's a certain liquor-esque tone to the blend, which I'm attributing to the lotus and tea mingling with one another.

Wet: Ripe strawberries hanging off the vine, with a definite green note. I'm looking towards the sage and tea as the likely cause. It does remind me vaguely of Maenad in this stage because of the green strawberry tone.

Drydown: The green notes fade and I'm left with strawberries, cream, and the telltale bubblegum note of lotus. I really like it!

Final thoughts: I was really disappointed with Pink Moon, because I'd been hoping for a pink Sugar Skull. What I got instead was pink grass and that really bummed me out. But I love Strawberry Moon! This is definitely a summery, fruity blend. However, much like Maenad -- and I think it's because of the strawberry note -- my skin devours this blend. I did apply lightly since I was just testing it out, but I suspect I will need to slather. Not that I mind. :P

OMFG. STRAWBERRIES! Yummy, wonderful, amazingly real strawberry scent, with a little cream mixed in. Absolutely edible. I think I get a little lotus in the background, but it really is strawberries and cream on me. I am VERY VERY VERY happy!

It lasted a good 6 hours on me, and that is with me sniffing my wrists every 2 seconds. I seriously couldn't stop.

This one is up there with Red Moon for me. Wow. That's saying a lot.

I love how strong and real the strawberries smell in the bottle, but on my skin, much to my dismay, this turns into strawberry candles or those Strawberry Shortcake dolls from the 80's... very plastic and fake scented. My skin chemistry did not let this one work for me. :P

I'll repeat the review I gave this on the Lush forum...

At first... Straight, real strawberry juice with a little cream. Mmmm...

After a while... What I imagine you would smell like after a long romp outside in the warm sun with a really hot guy in the middle of a strawberry patch.

It's sooooooo good. :P

I put it on and instantly was transported back to playing with my strawberry shortcake dolls! But this scent was EVEN BETTER - more real than the plastickyness of the dolls, but the strawberry and creaminess was all there just like the dolls had. I was relishing it, but then my fiance had a sniff and he was all over the scent "Mmmmmm, you smell SOOOOO good!" Definitely a scent for strawberry lovers!

Oooo yummy. This was not as sweet as I anticipated which is wonderful. It's still sweet, but the strawberries are layered with a creaminess that softens the entire scent and a touch of sage that makes this just earthy enough. it's still a sweet scent but it's completely light and summery and avoids being cloying in favor of being complex and gorgeous. Rich, juicy, and warm. Love it!

Strawberry Moon - in the bottle I get very sweet strawberries and something else, something kinda synthetic. The moment I put this on the strawberries become even sweeter and there's a plasticky note underneath. ::sigh:: I just don't think my skin likes strawberries at all. After about half an hour it doesn't get any better and pretty much stays the scent of a Strawberry Shortcake doll much like Bon Vivant :P

First Sniff:

Have any of you ever played with the orginial Strawberry Shortcake dolls? Strawberry smelled a bit like a mixture of fake and real strawberries...that's the feeling I get from Strawberry Moon. It also reminds me a lot of Yankee Candles' Strawberry scent. It's NICE but the pure strawberry feeling doesn't seem to be there. The scent is very very strong however, my friend could smell it across the room when I merely opened the bottle.

Wet:

Oh my. There is the pure strawberry! It actually smells a lot like strawberry wine, there is an undercurrent of booze in this. Very very sweet, very very pink.

Drydown:

Still strawberries but a bit too sweet for me. I don't get any of the traditional lunar flowers nor do I get any sage or anythign else. Which is quite sad really as I was very much hoping to smell them.

Aftermath:

If you're a strawberry lover definitely hunt down Strawberry Moon as it's more fruity then the previous Strawberrygasm scent, Bon Viant. As for me it's not a winning combo which is quite sad because I do love the strawberry. Oh well, can't win them all.

Strawberry is not a note I usually look for. I was pleasantly surprised at how I liked this one. It is very sweet and creamy and strawberry. It reminded of those lifesavers candies strawberry and cream. Quite tasty. :P

-cute roommate review- "fruit! right? *with an i got it right this time, right? kind of smile on his face*"

In the bottle:

Beautiful, lush, strawberries!

On me:

When this is wet, there is no mistaking the smell of strawberries and cream. Luckily, neither of them come off too sweet, or candy like. After just a few short minutes, the cream note disappears on me and I am left with wonderfully fresh, earthy smelling strawberry. Not long after, the green tea and what I *think* is the ylang ylang, become the predominant notes on me with the strawberry as a nice, tart, juicy background. Thankfull, the lotus never comes out on me. I love how green this smells!

Final note:

I have to say that I had buyers remorse after purchasing this. I immediately thought that I had made a mistake, between the lotus and cream notes, and that surely this wouldn't work on me. I am so glad that I was wrong. I do love strawberry, but I don't like anything that is candy sweet, and this is so NOT candy sweet. I love it.