Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
tempete

Tezcatlipoca

... Deep cocoa laced with patchouli, leather armor, ritual incense, and a touch of Xochiquetzal’s flowers.

In the imp: Chocolate more than anything. Liking this a lot more than Velvet. But I'm concerned I can already smell the 'peanut butter'.
Wet: Strange, I'm enjoying the chocolate mixed with incense. Actually, I love how the chocolate predominates. Num!
Drydown: The chocolate is gone, and I'm getting a rotten scent. Is my sworn enemy ginger in here? Or is the patchouli playing poorly with one of the florals? It's almost stomach-turning.
Dry: For one minute there, I got the complete fragrance -- rich cocoa and incense, with patchouli and flowers floating underneath. But it then burned off into grotty patch/sweety florals. Edited by Shollin

In the imp: dark rich spiced cocoa

Wet on skin: patchouli, incense, amber and wood

Dry: I'm not getting the leather yet--but the drydown is gorgeous! Sexy, sultry chocolate and incense. The chocolate is subdued and the overall scent is wonderfully balanced, earthy and strong. A bit peppery. Could be a fantastic masculine scent...but that wouldn't stop me from wearing it. I would like to smell this on DH.

2 hours later: Woo-hoo!! Leather kicked in, mixed with the wood and smoke. Although this is chococlaty goodness for a while---it's gone. A bit too smoky in this stage for my asthma. I will give to DH to try!

In The Bottle

Not a lot in the bottle. A whiff of unsweetened cocoa.

On Application

Actually more leather than cocoa on application.

Dry Down

The leather takes a back seat to the patchouli and incense in the first few minutes and the cocoa re-emerges slightly sweeter than previously. There are definitely some flowers which emerge during the early stages of the drydown - night-blooming flowers. 10 minutes in, all of these notes are nicely blended. I think this is a little too floral for me.

Rating (0-5)

I can smell the cocoa and incense in this mainly. It's very nice in the imp but unfortunately smells like poo on me.

In bottle: Chocolate and incense with chalky patchouli and a hint of flowers. Wet: more patchouli than I like in my chocolate, but not bad. The incense and flowers are a little weird with the chocolate/patchouli dominant notes. I’m not smelling much leather. I’m intrigued, but not sure it’s working well. Dry: The patchouli ends up strongest, with the backing of the incense.

Wet, chocolate and patchouli.

Drying, flowers, leather, chocolate and patchouli. There's more flowers than just a touch, on my skin so far.

Dry, the flowers have covered everything else. There might be a little patchouli struggling to the surface.

Preconceived Notions: I love the concept - I like cocoa, leather, and a light hand with floral notes (except Rose and Lavender which you can hurl at me in buckets if you like). I'm slightly wary of the patchouli, which has a tendency to leap in and hide everything else. Incense is usually good... though sometimes is a bit heady.

In the Imp: Whoah! Yuck! Burnt tootsie rolls. This actually made me recoil a bit. This doesn't look like this is a match for my taste so far :P I do get a tiny bit floral twinkling wayyy off in the distance.

On the Skin: Burnt tootsie rolls with patchouli rolling in. The flowers are stronger now. Ah, there's the heady incense note.

After a While: The cocoa/tootsie roll acrid note goes away, and I am relieved though I do like chocolate. The end game is all about flowers and incense. After a good long while the leather comes over to play. Quite lovely!

Verdict: I could wear this if I had to... it's a lovely concept, and this obviously works well for a lot of people based on other reviews. However, this is not for me as I have lots of other incensy florals without the extremely offputting weirdness of the first few minutes. This probably means that other chocolate note perfumes aren't going to work for me. :D

Edited by j4r

In imp : Delicious. I want to run away with it.

Wet on skin: Something sharp attacks me. Leather, I suppose. Some reason leather notes have been going sour on me ;-;. After my affair with Dee, I thought all leather would adore me... it doesn't seem to be so. Either the leather note hates me, or leather + 'ritual flowers' or cocoa isn't good.

Drying: Really a strange sent, to me. The cocoa and patchouli is interesting, and a bit delicious. But there's a dustyness to it I think cause by the ritual flowers. That darned floral effect. Powdery would be too light of a word, this is just dusty. Dusty leather dipped in some amazing patchouli cocoa. And not chocolate, there's nothing sweet about this. It's just solid bakers chocolate.

The sharp thing finally starts to fade. It's almost metallic, ozone-y or something. I'm not a fan. Now the leather is starting to mellow and come out moreso. Yay, I was scared leather was done with me. but this is that delicious leather I've come to adore. But still dusty cocoa and flowers :/.

later: It gets even more floral, on top of leather and cocoa. The patchouli is understated (Sadly) and it gets a cologne-y/perfume-y air to it that I'm not found of.

Overall: The scent just didn't quite gel for me. I had tested it before, and was content enough, but this second testing is not pleasant. It's beautiful in the imp, but not something I would put on in the morning, or evening. It's just sort of ... weird. I think it disturbs me most because each scent is s distinct, and they don't meld into a beautiful oneness for me like so many other BPALs do. So it'll be traded off for me to try something new :P

It has average essential oil throw, and a decent longevity thanks to the leather.

Edited by CaffinatedAngel

With cocoa, patchouli, leather, & incense I had to try this. And I wanted to love it. I really wanted to wear the perfume of an Aztec God.

But on me, it smells like a slaughterhouse with a chocolate undercurrent. The strong musky patchouli mixes with the leather to produce an animalistic funk that does not belong in a perfume.

In the vial: Chocolate caramel.

Wet: Chocolate floral and a resin.

Twenty minutes: Oh, that's interesting: chocolate patchouli! It also smells smoky, a little warm and sweet.

One hour: Yum! Patchouli and sweet floral with resin and, most surprisingly of all, the cocoa hasn't worn off. Not too many of the chocolate notes work on me, but this is the second that has. It's nice: not enough to be foody, but it adds an interesting depth to the blend. There's something slightly tart or sour; I wonder if that's supposed to be sweaty armor?

Two and a half hours: Floral-resin with a trace of cocoa still. I like this.

Four hours: It's fallen off a lot, but wonder of wonders I can still smell the cocoa as well as the florals. This is really very interesting; I think I'll keep it.

wet/in imp: cocoa, flowers, and patchouli. interesting.

dry: cocoa and patchouli mixed with leather. interesting. the patchouli keeps wanting to do horribly wrong. the cocoa disappears after 10 minutes and i'm left with nose hurting florals, dirty hippie patchouli i don't like and leather. :P

I've really been slacking with reviewing the hordes of imps I have laying around my room, but this morning I just grabbed one randomly as an afterthought on my way out the door. It happened to be Tezcatlipoca, and I am SO GLAD it was.

Wet: A deep rush of cocoa, rich and sweet, but it takes on a salty note after only a second. It stays a delicious salty chocolate for a few minutes (YUM), before the earthy, slightly dirty patchouli and leather show up and cut the sweetness. At this stage it's an amazing dichotomy of sweet and salty/dirty. The leather in this doesn't punch you in the face, but it's there, and it's an old, rugged leather with sweat-stains. Despite that rather unsavory description, this is delicious.

Dry: As this dries, the incense and florals appear, very gently. The incense is definitely a dry one, and mixed with the cocoa, it takes on a slightly spicy tone. Dry, this is a deep, rich base of cocoa/patch/leather, with the florals floating on top, and the dry incense rounding the scent out at the very edges.

Final Verdict: Wow. Just... wow. Beth amazes me once again. This scent it gorgeous.

Ugh. The drydown of this is just awful on me--metallic leather nastiness! I love the initial cocoa note but the leather just kills it dead very quickly.

In the imp: Very strong cocoa with an herbal background

Wet: The cocoa blends in and the patchouli and leather come forward. No one note sticks out. It's an overall smooth, masculine blend.

Drydown: It's very subtle. Pretty much just a faded down version of the wet stage. The leather never comes out strong, which is good because that is not a favorable note to me.

Overall: It's a decent blend. Not going to be a favorite, but it smells nice enough. Very subtle, and perhaps too masculine for my tastes, but not bad at all. I'd wear it again, but won't need more than an imp.

In the imp, it smells primarily like rich cocoa powder, layered over something soft and warm. Wet, it briefly smells like dark, dark dry chocolate, and then unfurls into a beautifully blended scent. The overall impression is spicy and almost delicious, but not sweet at all. It turns to lovely dark incense and earthy patchouli, with a unique, seductive note that I can only assume is leather blended in, dusted with cocoa and underpinned by a breath of flowers. It's spicy and it inspires lustful thoughts like nothing else I can ever remember smelling. It eventually fades down to a soft, subtle, scent with little throw, but when I lift up my wrist I still get a whiff of something that's just deliriously sexy. I will use my imp again a few more times to see how much I like it on myself, but I think that I would LOVE this even more on my boyfriend. Mmmmmmm.

Tezcatlipoca-

In Bottle: Chocolate and wood. Is there vetiver in this? That woody dry note.

Wet: Chocolate and wood that is almost cedar but not quite. And incense. That incense will probably make this not quite work for me.

Dry: Fades on me; I wish that chocolate stayed around longer! I'm left with sweet incense-y scent, which is a bit nondescript, but that's my chemistry and not the scent's fault.

Overall: Not for me, though not unpleasant!

Initial impression:

Sweet, glorious cocoa!

First on:

Heavy cocoa and patchouli, but with a sickly sweet floral in the background. o_O

Dry:

After about 10 mins, the sickly sweetness has faded, and this is all leather, patchouli and incense, with a cocoa touch.

Later on, it's a faint cocoa warmer by patchouli.

Finally:

The florals didn't sit right with me, and it had no throw on me – otherwise, it was very yummy. :P

imp: rich cocoa.

wet: leather and patchouli warm up nicely with a soft floral scent.

dry: this dries to leather with a sweet, tangy floral scent. i wish i knew exactly which florals these were because they smell so pretty.

In the vial: cocoa absolute

Wet: floral and cocoa

Drydown: strong soapy floral, then cocoa, leather and incense. What an interesting combo. There's something earthy about this that reminds me of barnyard. I think it's the combination of leather and patchouli. It's very organic and dark. Kind of strong and masculine for me, but very evocative.

ETA: A while later this becomes a sweet and more gentle leather smell. It smells a little like barnyard, but not in a harsh or overwhelming way. I almost think I detect just a little coconut. It's very nice now. Would be very nice on a man.

Edited by Tempest

Starts off with a strong and rich incensey cocoa when it first goes on, but that didn't last long.. I got a lovely dry powdery leather thing going on for about 10 minutes, and then it turned into an incensey-floral. After about half an hour, it's very much melded right into my skin and it's just a nice, warm and slightly honey-ish (even a bit nutty?!) leather - the floral is still there in the background, but it's not a "bright" floral, and the patchouli is very warm and golden rather than harsh like it sometimes can be.

This is what to wear while laying naked on a big fluffy rug in front of the fire at your log cabin hideaway.

ETA: I agree.. I think this would smell sensational on a man. Note to self: must test that theory.

Edited by sunshinedaisybliss

Oh , this makes me feel like a hot guy . And I'm not really a hot guy , even in my best imaginings . But this sure is the kind of scent to play with my mind . Make me feel better about my self image . It is just so much chocolate blended with a soft leather note that I can hardly stand it . The chocolate is a cocoa kind of scent , not sweet really but very strong . The leather is very much there , but not in a brutal kind of way . Almost like melting butter , that would be what this is if leather & cocoa melted together & were stirred together over a low heat . It's easily one of my top 10 scents & I don't see anything knocking it out anytime soon .

This scent is incredible. It has to be in a close race with De Sade for best smell on earth. Just such a perfect balance of the smokiness of the patchouli, the sweetness of the cocoa, and the leather. I hate sweet scents, but the sweetness in this just draws me further into its fantastic little world. It's one of those scents that exists on many levels and beckons you to unravel every one of them. Ahem, if I can stop being flowery for a moment, it smells really, really awesome. That is all.

In the imp there is a heavy incense smell. As I apply, that scent stays strong, but the cocoa comes out as well. The cocoa sweetens it a little, but the cocoa is not a foody one. This scent is just like Boomslang on my skin. Cocoa and incense goodness.

wet: cocoa, shea butter, woods

drydown: buttery cocoa. later, the cocoa scent begins to fade, and I finally smell leather and incense, but the buttery note won't go away. :ack:

overall: Somehow, my skin is making this scent buttery, and I don't like it. I am really bummed that this didn't smell the way I'd hoped. :(

This is one imp I kept meaning to test, but never got around to it. I must have had it for months by now.

First impression is the lab's cocoa note that I love so much, and it's quickly followed by spicy leather. Cocoa leather doesn't sound too hot when I type it out, but its really quite lovely. After a minute or so, the incense peeks through and blends with the spiciness.

I'm rather surprised. I never would have thought to toss these notes together, but Tezcatlipoca is a work of art. I'll be picking up a bottle in my next order.