Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
miss apple

Blood Pearl

Lustrous, sanguine, soft and lavish: soft orris, blood musk, and coconut.

Blood Pearl - I thought it'd be more, well, bloody! This smells like what I thought Urd should smell like. Deep, and surprisingly - grapey! Wonderful grape! I tried this based on reviews that it smelled somewhat coconutty. I get no coconut, but as a bonus, it has that deep, delicious grape flavor scent. :P Not that I tried licking it! (I didn't and neither should you!)

This lasted for quite awhile on me, I'm happy to report.
BW.gif

imp: musky coconut. i can alerady tell i need a bottle of this.

wet: the orris and coconut are just wonderful together and the musk makes it dark and yummy.

dry: this is such a yes. sweet and creamy coconut.

yum yum yum!!! This is lovely warm soft spice on me. Good throw and I find myself reapplying it because I want to, not because I need to. LOL

Next stop on my hunt for the perfect coconut...

It's amazing how much Blood Pearl smells like its name. Not exactly like blood, per se, but like Black Pearl got hit with something deep and sexy and red. It blends so well, I really can't pick out the coconut unless I concentrate. (Darn...) Instead it gives the impression of something deep, slightly floral, and incensey, all with that distinct redness.

But JUST like Black Pearl, it fades away after an hour or two. Auuugh, and I really liked this one, too. Now I have to sniff my wrist just to get the lightest of coconuts.

In the Imp (wet): I smell the musk, but it seems to have a spice note in it. And I get the tiniest hint of liquorice. Not a good sign.

On facial cotton (dry): Ooooo! The coconut is showing up, but it's refreshing, rather than the heavy cream I was expecting.

On me: I like how the musk is soft and the coconut gives it a twist and a little life. However, this scent may give me a headache if worn in excess and a drop seems to go a long way.

In the imp, fruity? Sweet.

Wet on me, fruity, but, developing a floral scent...I can't identify anything. I can't find the coconut, and I don't know what blood musk or orris smell like, yet.

This is...interesting. The fruityness is fading, and the scent is still sweet, but....I can't really say it smells floral to me now. It is interesting. Rich, sweet, and intriguing. Though some of the intrigue is that I can't identify a thing in it.

Now that it is dry, I think I now know what "blood musk" smells like. I'll give it some time on my skin to see if it changes again. Right this moment I don't care for it much. It's reminding me strongly of a musky dragon's blood and though I seem to do ok with DB well blended with other things, I'm still not looking for anything even resembling a DB single note. It's taking over the scent like rose often does on me.

Edited by Aerinha

On first application, it reminds me almost exactly of Black Pearl *which I LOVE*, then it begins to get a floral-y grapey fruity-ness, which is nice...at first. The fruity-ness takes a step back and the floral and blood musk start to over power my yummy coconut and the other fruity-ness. The combination of floral and musk notes actually are actually making my eyes burn a little.

While I do love some musk blends, my skin tends to amplify musk to the Ultimate Level of Extreme-ness. Boo!

In imp: Soapy! I’m wondering if I made a good choice with this one.

Wet: Still a little soapy, perhaps that is the orris? Dry and powdery but not like baby powder. Surrounding this is a red, fruity smell. This must be the dragon’s blood. After about ten minutes I’m wondering if it is too fruity for me.

20 minutes: The softness and the dryness makes it seem grown-up and sophisticated. The notes blend really well and add up to a rich, utterly delicious (but non-foody) scent. It smells really special and unique.

One hour: Unfortunately the soapyness came back and it is also much too powdery at this stage. I can smell the remnant of that unique and delicious scent from before but it is all surrounded by the powder which doesn’t smell good on me.

I suspect that Dragon's Blood doesn't work well with my skin chemistry as I love Black Pearl and some other DBR scents have also gone soapy in the drydown.

I got this one as a frimp from the lab. I checked what went into this one and I've got to say, I had no idea what orris was. So after googling, I now know that it is the root of some species of iris. The scent can be compared to that of violets, so now I vaguely know what to sniff for.

Initially, all I can smell is the coconut with some woody depth to it. Red musk comes out to play on the drydown which is nice. Musk works well with my skin so I'm enjoying sniffing my wrist at this stage. After half an hour I'm smelling what I think is the orris. It's like a woody, violet sort of smell.

It's rather nice, but I don't really see myself wearing this one too much.

What goes into blood musk? I assumed it was dragon's blood, but I can't smell any in this. Maybe red musk? Whatever it is, it's lovely. I adore the Lab's coconut note -- it's so creamy and delicious, but it was nice to experience a subtler, more subdued coconut. You can definitely smell it's presence in this, but it's not The Coconut Show, if that makes any sense.

This is very floral in the imp, but if you don't like florals, don't let this scare you. The floral component disappears after about an hour, revealing the musky coconut. I have to say, I like the floral component of this -- I wasn't really expecting it, but it works very well with the other notes and it held my interest. As for the musk and the coconut, they play well off each other. I like the idea of dressed up coconut -- this isn't really "go to the beach and frolic coconut." In all, I'm really glad I tried this one. I don't think I would have if it hadn't been a frimp (thanks, Lab), but it's always fun when something turns out to be pleasantly surprising.

4/5

Wet: Musk and violets (must be the orris). Husband initially said “Too strong” then on a second test “mmm spicy”.

Dry down: Initially, light floral /violet musk. Didn’t get any coconut notes.

Coconut notes developed with aging.

Final impressions: Quite nice.

Blood Pearl was a gamble for me, because coconut is one of my favorite notes ever but musk is not something I typically get excited about. Overall I like it, but I don't think I need a big bottle of it. On me it is mostly warm musk with little to no coconut. I will most likely hang on to the imp, though.

I love Blood Pearl! :P

I'm thinking blood musk is combination of dragons blood resin and red musk? Either way, the combination is beautiful! Please don't be afraid of the musk--it's gorgeous in this (not peanut-ty or sweaty at all)!

I love how the orris and coconut blend into a kind of sweet "dustiness". It's so different and compelling. "Lustrous and saguine", indeed. :D

You have to try this if you like Black Pearl!

Edited by Stephanie

It's funny, I never thought of myself as a coconut girl but between this and Brown Jenkins my mind is completely changed. I wouldn't call either foody at all. Both are very sensual, animals scents.

I have no idea where it gets its name though. I love it but it was not at all what I was expecting based on the name. I was hoping for a little bit of dragon's blood.

I honestly can't really smell it, but the wiff is nice. This is something I'd probably use on clothes or as a room scent, since I really can't smell it on me. It does remind me a lot of Black Pearl, but it's a lot less fruity.

Also, like blood kiss and bloodlust it makes me HUNGRY. I'm not just saying that, for some reason dragon's blood resin appears to make me ravenous. I didn't really notice it until I sniffed this one and realized it had the same "neeeeeeed... foooooood..." effect on me as blood kiss. Maybe I really am a vampire. >_<

What I say: Someday, I will learn to actually read the Lab descriptions before I go smearing things on myself. Seriously, the fact that I'm not actively allergic to anything they use doesn't mean I should just go sliming myself. I can't wear musk, I can't wear dragon's blood, and I can't wear anything they describe as 'sanguine'. But I didn't read the description, and so I put it on my skin, and smelled...musk.

And musk. And musk. AND OH GOD THE MUSK THE MUSK IS IN MY BRAIN IT IS FORCING ME TO EAT TACOS AND DANCE THE CHA-CHA! I was not even a little bit amused. The orris tried to put in an appearance, and promptly got slapped by the musk and told to go back to its goddamn corner already. And then the coconut arrived, and suddenly I smelled like musky sunscreen. This was somehow not actually pleasing unto me, and I was forced to scrub myself with pumpkin scented bodywash for about fifteen minutes to make it stop.

I don't know how the scent died down, because I washed it off first. It hurt me. It hurt me a lot. Uck. And that is all.

My score: -2 out of 10. DO NOT WANT.

Edited by Shollin
Removed Lab description --Shollin

In the imp...coconut, but delicate. This is pretty

Wet...Musk, along with something woody, which I must assume is the orris? It creeps up on you though, it's very light and delicate, and then all of a sudden I realise just how amazing this really smells...but that, I guess is the genius of it, because I really think that it it had been a stronger scent, it would have been instantly headache inducing.

Dry...it's an amalgam of all the ingredients. I can smell them all, and yet I can't distinguish between them. I like this, but I don't think it's me enough to warrant a bottle. I will enjoy the imp while it lasts though.

This is a beautiful scent. I adore coconut and it's hard to find *good* coconut scents.

It smells more like commercial perfume in the imp than it does after applying; I find this to be true of most BPALs. But after I apply it it turns into a lovely complicated coconut scent.

Unfortunately, it is very very subtle on me and usually dissapears within an hour or so.

This was a frimp from the lab, and I'm happy since I wouldn't have bought this one on my own. It's a nice, warm coconut scent without smelling like suntan lotion, which is rare. It's really very nice, and would make a good, light summer scent.

Wet in imp - Orris and blood musk, but very little coconut.

Wet on skin - Blood musk and coconut. The coconut is not overwhelming, however.

Dry on skin - Orris, blood musk and the very faintest taste of coconut. It's interesting, but not for me.

This didn't last long on me but the coconut note is nice--it's not an overly foody coconut but more like coconut husks. Tropical and sweet.

First impression: Humm, nope, gonna swap this eventually.

I then wanted to try all the frimps I got in my first order and saw this one had coconut in it so I'd give it another try.

In the bottle: I smell next to nothing, not very potent, slight Coconut scent. (It could be that I'm sick?

Wet on skin: Mmmm Coconutty goodness, I can smell it now! I'm reminded of LUSH, I think it's the conditioner my DH uses.

Dry down: Still coconut, but something else is there, maybe it's the orris?

30 minutes later: Oooh nice, the coconut is still there but what I'm assuming is orris is coming through with a bit of the musk.

Overall: I like this one, out of the swap pile and into my keeps pile! (for now)

Edited by lioness

For me, Blood Pearl is apparently totally different depending on my hormones. The first time I wore this, about a month ago, it smelled straight up like cheap coconut suntan lotion mixed with baby powder. I was not impressed.

So on a whim I gave it a second chance tonight, and it's completely different and actually kind of awesome. The orris is very upfront this time around, floral but not cloying, with the coconut playing a slightly sweet second fiddle. Lurking somewhere underneath is the musk, I think, making the whole blend a little deeper and sexier. It definitely makes me think of warm tropical nights.

So one month ago I'd give it a 1 of out 5, but tonight I'd give it a 4 out of 5. Weird.

Edited by beatrixn

There's a dryness to this which I normally associate with white sandalwood - the orris maybe? On my skin this is mostly dry and powdery, the musk and coconut don't appear. Not a keeper.