Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
miss apple

Blood Pearl

Lustrous, sanguine, soft and lavish: soft orris, blood musk, and coconut.

:P This is delicious on me, which I didn't expect. I have no idea what orris is, nor smells like, so this was just a guess, b/c coconut sounded good at the time.

Wet: a fresh musk, if that makes sense
On skin: Lovely, light throw, musky but not overpowering on me
Drydown: again, light, but nice. The coconut finally came out, I was wondering where that sucker was.

Will use up imp and decide if the 5 ml is on my wish list. I believe it will be. Yey!!! Edited by Shollin

Initial impression:

Strong musk and the slightest hint of coconut in the background.

First on:

I think this is the orris... It jumps out and I can't really sense anything else while it's still wet.

Dry:

After about 10 mins, it's gone very soapy. :P This makes me sad. I was hoping this would work out beautifully!

20-30 mins after application, the soapy stuff has more or less gone away, and it's mainly musk now. Dangit, I want coconut!

Finally:

It decided to warm up and be a little nicer (with the slightest hint of coconut) after about an hour. I'm really not sure about this one... No, probably swappng.

Oh. Three Hell Notes. Glee.

Sure enough, this is a nice enough orris/coconut blend, but it's got this terrible plastic undertone. The lab seems to look at my list of Bad Notes, and then their pile of frimps, and then yell "BINGO" with unearthly glee.

:P.

For some reason I expected this to smell like Dragon's Milk, but it doesn't. It reminds me of a Possets scent, Elixer of Heartlessness....but I bet if I tried them side by side, they're quite different.

This smells 'perfumey' to me (I know, lame description), and I think I finally know what orris smells like. Doesn't one of the Snake Pit scents contain orris? Now I want to try that one again. The coconut here just barely peeks in and out. I do like this, but perhaps not enough to wear often. I'm not sure yet.

Oh jeez is this strong when it goes on—kinda sharp and perfumey. However, as this dries it settles down and becomes much darker and fuzzier. There is also something vaguely sweet about this—but in a creamy, dark manner. Is that the coconut then? This just gets darker and darker as it settles and becomes almost narcotic. It is an intense smell despite the fact that it doesn’t have a lot of throw. Almost disconcerting in fact. Interesting, complex with definite morphing capabilities this scent does not lack for surprises or punches for that matter.

Rating: 3/5

I didn't notice the coconut at all. I am suspecting it blends seamlessly into the orris and the blood musk. It's a pretty little thing, pleasing enough, somewhat femme, but not aggressively so.

Blood Pearl

Ooh, this reminds me of the smell of an incense that I love, and haven't burned in quite a long time. I forget what it's called, but it's beautiful. This is a sweet and delicate floral that feels feminine, innocent, and fresh. I was worried that this would smell strongly of dragon's blood, but I'm rather happy to find it doesn't.

[ 3 - Like ]

blood pearl reminds me of a GRANDMA! :D one of those lil old ladies that slather themselves in perfume and u can smell them a mile away.

im sorry to say that but thats the impression i got when i put it on. i love lots of the other scents from BPAL, i guess this one just doesnt love me :P

this is deff. a swap or sale!

I was induced to get hold of this one in the hope that 'Black Pearl without the sunscreen' was an accurate description.

In the bottle, there is an almost red berry type smell, but other than that it smells a lot like Black Pearl.

It is a stronger scent than Black Pearl, and the blood musk seems to be the most prominent note on me, with the orris and coconut blending together in the background.

I'm definitely not picking up any sunscreen!

It doesn't seem to have a lot of throw, which is fine with me as it's a wonderful skin scent that I will be wearing all year round.

Ooohh, purdy pink color!

This does smell incensey, indeed. It's a musky, sweet incense. I like it, but I have other BPAL incense blends that I like better, so I don't know if I'd ever wear this again.

Very pleasant, smoky incense scent - if that's what you're hunting for, definitely don't miss Blood Pearl!

3.7 out of 5

I had such high hopes for this one. I am strangely drawn to the red scents, I mean, if it is red in the bottle, I gotta have it.

In the bottle..floral coconut

On my skin wet...plastic-y coconut.

Drydown...Horrifying. It winds up smelling like somekind of floral candy. It smells like what Choward's Violet Mints taste like, only not as good, if that makes any sense.

My husband is usually always right there to sniff and give his opinion, and with this one, I didn't even have to put my arm up for him to smell. He came into the bedroom and was like,"What is that plastic fruit smell?!" :P

HOWEVER! It smells most lovely in my oil warmer!

I wasn't sure at first how much I would like this, but it quickly grew on me. Another sort of feminine scent, but not florally at all. It's almost tropical, especially with the coconut hints. Sweet and extremely pleasant, though I can't really place what it is about it that makes it so nice.

Rating: 8/10

In Vial: strong perfume

Wet: not as perfumy, smells crisp, I do not get any coconut

Drydown: This is still strong, a bit perfumy and the coconut has not yet showed.

This reminds me of the days when women wore high collar dresses and broaches with long hair up.

This does not so much evoke a color for me as a fabric so...

Evoking Fabric: dark velvet

Edited by gchris

In the Imp: I can't pinpoint any scents in this; it just smells generally perfumey. Maybe a spicy perfumey scent.

On my skin: My skin keeps scents more or less the same. After a few minutes, though, this reminds me of some sort of cleaning fluid... but a nicely-scented cleaning fluid. I like it.

After a few hours: It lasts 4 hours or so on me, like most (if not all) perfumes, but it's a lovely scent, even if it's vaguely similar to cleaning fluid to me. I wish I was more adept at pinpointing scents!

goes on strong and perfumey...can barely smell the coconut and i think i smell the orris more than the musk.

will pass on this one

In bottle/imp: Warm fruity musk.

Immediately on skin: This is a very nice warm floral musk scent. There’s a wood note in this that really grounds the scent, and the blood musk warms it nicely. I can’t pick out the coconut at all. I looked up the description of the scent of orris, and it’s said to smell “tenaciously flowery, heavy and woody” and a bit like violets. That definitely describes the floral feel in this blend.

After a little while: The blood musk and orris have become very sweet and floral with a bit of resinous, candy-like sweetness. It’s very warm and feminine. I’m not sure if blood musk is a lot like dragon’s blood, but I definitely get a very rich, musky dragon’s blood feel from this.

Overall Impressions: This is not at all what I was expecting… it’s such a sweet blend! There’s quite a floral feel to this from the orris, and it’s rather warm. There’s something in this that is very similar to dragon’s blood to me, though the orris makes it even more floral. But it’s warm and musky, too. As for the coconut, I really can’t pick it out at all.

In the Bottle

This smells classy: like an expensive hotel lobby where only a few very VIP types get to hang around. There's a note of something cedar-y in here, softened with the coconut, and the Dragon's Blood gives it a soft sweetness. It's subtle, yet has character, and a soft dryness. I'm pleased...

On Me

Initially it retains the same sort of smell as in the bottle, and I feel pretty darned awesome wearing it. After about fifteen minutes, though, the coconut kicks in, which isn't at all bad-- it's a sweet subtle coconut and it smells authentic-- I don't smell like cheap suntan oil, in other words.

Half an hour in, and it's a rich, sweet, buttery coconut: the woody notes have disappeared entirely.

About an hour after that-- it's gone. All of it. :P

Definitely smells like red fruit to me, especially when it's wet. The coconut doesn't seem to be too strong; I actually forgot about it until I reread the listed notes just now. I was preoccupied trying to discern any trace of orris, but it's thankfully pretty mum :D

If I concentrate I can detect a bit of an iron tang in the back of my throat when I sniff this, like the scent of actual blood. :P What are you putting in these, Beth?

Musky, fruity...and a little metallic! Interesting.

Imp: Mostly dragon's blood with a bit of the floral/violet scent of orris.

Wet: So dragon's musk is just dragon's blood or what? Dragon's blood is the predominant note on me and it's all up in my face.

Dry: Nice. A sort of bright, violet-y dragon's blood. Thankfully none of the coconut shows up.

Throw: As with most dragon's blood blends, this is a close-to-the-skin scent.

Overall: Nice. I don't think I really need another dragon's blood blend but I'll hang onto the imp and it will see the light of day again.

This is the weirdest blend I have smelled to date, at least on my skin.

Wet: It started off with a strong incense smell, and I thought "oh no, here we go again, smelling like a bad new age shop where I sneeze my head off (as opposed to a good new age shop that is restrained in its incense burning.)."

Dry: As it started to dry, it became floral wood which I presume is the orris. On me this is much less floral and much dryer than dragon's blood, though it is definately sweet, it is a dry as opposed to cloying sweet. The coconut keeps playing peak-a-boo, here one minute, gone the next, back again and different smelling. Again, it's a dry, unsweetened sort of coconut. When the coconut is apparent, this almost smells like a Thai coconut soup that has been scented with lemongrass.

Verdict: It's a beautiful scent on me, it's just not "me."

I agree with the "general perfume" reviews. I really didn't like it wet, and it's only dried down to something tolerable. I'm sad I don't get any coconut. Just a hint of orris in the dry down after the musk has dissipated slightly. :P

Blood Pearl

Bottle: warm, spicy and sweet, I can’t pick out any of the notes listed.

Wet: Warm sweet spicy musk

Dry: wft? powdery old lady perfume.

I want to like this, and I should have liked this, but it turned to old lady powder. I never get any coconut.

In the vial: it smells a lot like Black Pearl, which is a favourite of mine, but with the addition of orris (violet).

Wet on skin: The orris is quite strong but surprisingly nice with the musk and coconut. It's cool and prickles my nose a little.

Dry on skin: yes, it's a lot like Black Pearl. Smooth, sweet, musky coconut, with a slight fruity touch and a veil of soft violet over the top. I think I could wear this, although it's a little too candy-sweet.