Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

...Her perfume is starry and crystalline, a jewel-clad and glittering paean to night: dazzling white musks, white rose and night-blooming jasmine with the soft moss of moonlit meadows, a waft of Egyptian incense, and a gentle breath of moonflower.

Wet I can smell white musk and roses with a thouch of moss. I love white musk blended with florals!
Dring I get a subtle touch of jasmine and moonflower with a bit of incense.

This one is a floral perfume with a touch of incense. If you think that The Caterpillar is too strong for you, you should try this one. :P

Sweet soft flowers that soften and bloom into jasmine with a touch of incense. This was lighter than I anticipated, while still being floral. Traditionally feminine but still complex, this wasn't cloying even with the jasmine. Lovely to try!

Nuit:

In the bottle: Very light, like honeysuckle

Wet: At first touch, the honeysuckle came out, but now it's receding, and nothing seems to be taking its place...

Drydown: Ooh, NOW I smell roses! Hm. I'm not sure if I want to keep this one or not.. I'm not typically a flower-type girl, but this is nice... at least it doesn't disagree with me!

Update: I've got it on my neck (where I like to wear perfume) and WHOO! The flowers are STRONG! While I don't think I'll be washing this off, I don't think I'll be keeping this imp.

Conclusion: Sell.

Nuit, when applied freshly wet, smelled a bit like some sort of jasmine bubble bath or bath soap. This connotation changed a bit as the fragrance began to dry on the back of my hand. Nuit is a nice, soft, fairly unassuming floral fragrance, with jasmine being in the forefront. Jasmine and I are buddies, so this scent is quite nice, although I am not quite certain this would be something I would need a larger bottle of.

It takes about five minutes before the rose note unfurls in Nuit; gentle, soft, a touch melancholy, the floral notes mingle together quite well. In regards to the powdery feel that roses sometimes emit, Nuit is very low on the powder factor. It is there, but not very heavy. The fragrance overall is very light and immensely feminine.

Nuit is one of a few fragrances I have received recently in imp form that I had thought I had previously reviewed. Although Nuit is lovely and softly fragrant, with the sheer variety of fragrances in the BPAL catalogue, this is not a favourite among the BPAL florals I have tried. This is one of those "nice, but not me" scents that seem to be more fitting to a more mature woman, not necessarily older, but for a woman with a different style than mine.

-doreen

My reviews are never sophisticated, just a summary of what I 'see' when I wear the scents.

I feel transported to a lush desert garden or oasis, where I feel protected and enclosed in everything that is verdant and vibrant and good. It makes me want to dance under the stars, their brilliance undiluted by the presence of a new, dark moon, in thanks to Her. It's like I could live on this scent alone, and not long for sustenance of any kind.

It's a scent that makes me think of safety, of celebration, of laughter and good natured wickedness, temptation, satisfaction. I just ordered a 10ml of this, and it will become a staple in my BPAL rotation.

After an initial blast of loud "perfumey" smell, this dried down to a generic, flat jasmine. I don't smell any musk or rose or incense...just jasmine. Bor-ing! Jasmine just overwhelms any other notes on my skin. ::sigh::

This is not a bad scent at all. It's a cool, powdery (in a good way), floral. However, it smells almost exactly like this perfume I wore in High School to please my first boyfriend after he bought it for me. Windsong...::shudder:: Godawful stuff, and he ended up being a heel. Wearing this oil was an exercise in demonstrating how strongly scent and memories are associated. Too bad they weren't good memories, or I might have liked this scent much more!

Nuit

in vial: jasmine and rose

wet: same

dry: a nice blend of musk, rose, and jasmine

verdict: nice, but not overwhelmingly exciting...I will use up the imp but don't need a big bottle

Ahh, jasmine!

This is a very gentle blend, and for a while I was weighing it against Nocturne, trying to decide which one would be worthy of a bottle. Indeed, they are both alike for me in character, but Nuit is less on the sweet side.

I am a fan of jasmine, night-bloomers, and all things touched by twilight. At the onset of drydown I pick up a touch of the incense, but it fades fast (boo! come back!).

Fifteen minutes in and I get the rose.

The verdict: As an oil to be used in ritual, yes definitely. Particularly lunar rites - but for me? I'm vying for Nocturne. We likey the sweet and sombre and not the rose, sadly.

3.5/5

This smelled like deep, heady flowers, the type you find walking in a garden at night, the type of dark garden you might find at the Malfoy estate (for all you Harry Potter folks), and the flowers are big, bloomed and black. I suppose this is mostly the jasmine and musk, but it doesn't smell heavily musky. Then, after it's settled down, three hours or so later, it smells like white musk and moonflower. It smells like Dorian in this stage, I kid you not. I'm not so big on the first stage, but the second stage is quite nice, because it's Dorian toned down.

On first application, this is a gentle floral, sweet and serene. The jasmine is the strongest note on me, but the musks temper it, and there's a hint of rose in the background. This is an evening scent, but a warm evening outdoors.

After a while, the incense comes to the foreground, but it's never very strong, and the jasmine stays evident. I can smell the moss as well. This is beautiful, a reflective sort of scent.

In Bottle: Moss and florals.

On Skin: Very white, the musk is soft and overshadowed by the jasmine, rose and moss. Very dainty and feminine. The incense is also faint which I like, it isn’t a smoky scent at all. Very bright and clear. I think it is very pretty but it doesn’t stand out to me. It’s more of a soft comforting smell to wear alone on a cloudless night. It reminds me of the stars and moon, so bright in a dark sky.

This is a very luxurious smelling floral. It's hard to tell what notes are on top, because it's so beautifully blended, but the white musks, rose and jasmine all seem to be waving hello. This is definitely a white scent for me, very womanly, sophisticated, and goddess like. It reminds me of an expensive women's perfume you would buy in a department store. Very pretty, good for any white musk and rose fans out there.

Guest Titania

This was amazing. I received a bottle as a Yule gift and it works so well with me. Sweet nose with jasmine in the bottle and on with an undercurrent of rose. On dry down, it is spice and incense and a wide night sky during the summer in Montana.

Not sure about this one on me...

In the imp ~ Musky, murky jasmine. There is a clean, clear note that mixes with it that I cannot seem to identify.

Wet ~ Musk, musk, musk and Jasmine... no hint of smokeyness. I was hoping that would taper the musk scent because musk and I tend to not get along very well.

On the drydown.

This one is getting washed off. It smells unclean to me. (Must be the dreaded musk on me...) My skin chemistry is amping the musk to a really detestable fragrance on me.

:P

I had high hopes since I love night blooming florals and incense...

:D

Poo.

Edited by BlackDahlia

In the bottle: Rose and moss, and what I think might be moonflower (don't know this not very well)

Wet: For a second it disappears (classic musk effect) and then comes back completely altered. Jasmine comes up first, along with some incense and I think rose. It's definitely white florals.

Drydown: White smoky florals, jasmine and probably moonflower. I get a whiff of rose from time to time, a white and very dry rose. The result is very powdery and it smells dusty and dirty, probably from the incense and maybe the jasmine. And it turns to soap, as white musk nearly always does on me.

Overall: Really doesn't like my skin chemistry. This could be the jasmine, or just the general mix, it doesn't work for me at all. I do get a certain atmosphere, I think there is something nocturnal about this, and on someone with the right chemistry it would probably glow, but it's not me. I just smell like a little old lady smelling of dirty lily soap and powder. My Mum swiped it and it smells lovely on her. Ah, well, she gets to keep it.

* NUIT *

In the bottle: greens and jasmine

Wet: Moss, Jasmine, and a hint of rose - uh!oh! Rose! :P Rose usually ends up smelling like playdough or powder on me...

Dry down: airy, soft florals - jasmine, a very clean white rose, and mossy greens with just a breath of incense - not the heavy headshop type incense but the light incense of Beth's Cairo.

Conclusion: This is the first rose EVER that I have been able to wear without it morphing into yuk on me. In my mind, this is a very white and green scent. It is airy, light and very feminine. Besides being the first rose scent I have ever been able to really wear, this is my first very floral scent that doesn't give me a headache. The longer I wear this, the cleaner it smells! Purrrfect!

Oh! Throw is average and wear is less than average for me - a bit over 2 hrs.

Nuit

In the Bottle: Jasmine! It smells like a drawer sachet to me, with no rose, but I'll try it.

Wet: Ahh, there's my rose! The jasmine went completely down and now rose is blooming. I can also smell the underlayer of warm incense.

Dry: Blast it. The rose is still there, but the musk came up too much. For some reason I'm getting the impression of rose incense sticks - and not in a good way.

This was a retry (I sold my first imp) but it's still reacting wrong with my chemistry. Off to the Sales pile.

Frimp from the Lab:

Jasmine :P

Overpowering, sickly sweet Jasmine... I was hoping for more musk and incense, but sadly this is almost single note Jasmine on me.

Off to the swap pile...

In the Bottle Oh boy, this is floral. I was hoping the incense would come out...

Wet Wholly mother of....no, this is not one for me. I don't know why I thought something with both Jasmine and Rose would work for me...florals turn into "dead garden" on my skin.

Dry Get it off!! This is the first one I've tried that I've had to go run and wash it off. Strong strong perfumey soap and dead flowers, and oh lord, just not for me!!! Well, there'll be more for the rest of you.

Swapped for this from a friend who thought I'd love it:

In the bottle: Pale, translucent, white florals

On me: A very delicate scent, wispy roses and jasmine with a touch of musk - which is keeping everything else grounded. This is another fairy-princess blend like Ophelia. It's a nice change for me from my usual heavy spicy scents.

My first impression of Nuit was “ooo, lovely.” White musk, jasmine, rose that fades in and out, eventually is more or less in control... and then backs off, sweet. This is delicate and romantic; a dark dark blue sky with an endless number of shining stars… and just as you’re about to blink from looking upward for so long, a shooting star is there and gone in a fleeting moment. Only thing is it may be a bit too floral for me and because of the rose it’s a teensy bit soapy…

In the vial: a pretty blend of white florals notes.

Wet: Red cherry lollipops! I hope this will change.

Dry: Red cherry lollipops! I can't leave this on and I have to wash it off.

I was so excited about Nuit from the moment the Lab introduced it, yet somehow, I was able to hold off on getting an imp until now. But I am soooo happy to finally have it! After even just sniffing it in the imp, I was pretty certain it was going to be all I'd hoped after just reading the description.

Upon first applying, the jasmine is the strongest note..but it's not as overpowering as, say, Luna. Once it's dry, the moonflower really comes out on me..and jasmine and rose are in the background, with just a touch of musk. Very feminine, pretty and sparkly, and fresh.

Though I agree with those that have said it somewhat resembles a generic brand of perfume, for me, this somehow melds with my skin much better than anything store-bought could..one of the reason I love BPAL so much! Beautiful florals..without the reek of alcohol.

Received in a swap. :D

In the Imp: Musky-floral, unsurprisingly, with something sharp and crisp and cool underneath-- almost like pear, but without the sweetness. I suspect it's the moonflower. The main notes I'm getting are opalescent musk, a thick jasmine, and pretty, clean white rose, which I just know is going to turn soapy on me. Wah. There's some moss, too, which is absolutely lovely-- a sort of soft water-green scent. This could swing either way.

Wet: White musk, pale florals.... this smells a lot like Juliet and Endymion to me, only rounder and more complex. It still has a faint air of body-products around it... not that it really smells soapy, but it's the kind of blend you might find perfuming your soap. (I might add that Nuit is a good deal stronger than either Juliet or Endymion, and seems to have quite a bit more throw, too.)

Dry: A very womanly, crystalline blend of flowers, softened and matured by musk and moss. There's a touch of smoky incense in here, too, that really adds some depth and mystery. A beautiful woman, and there's more to her than meets the eye, perhaps? I would, I think, adore this, if the rose weren't slowly turning powdery on me. As it is, the damn rose pushes it over the edge, and it goes from, "Gentle, enigmatic and pretty" to, "This would be great. Except I smell like I just got out of the shower."

My chemistry ruins yet another blend. :P