Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!

... Her perfume is starry and crystalline, a jewel-clad and glittering paean to night: dazzling white musks, white rose and night-blooming jasmine with the soft moss of moonlit meadows, a waft of Egyptian incense, and a gentle breath of moonflower.

I've learned so much since I started BPALing. As a newbie, I would have smelled this and gone "ICK!" and that would have been about it. However... this is a really lovely, very traditional, elegant perfume. I don't wear scents like this, but at least now I can appreciate it.

It's a really vigourous floral, and it has a good amount of musk in there. It's not right for me, but this is one everyone should try. I have a feeling that if it works, it would really really work and be an OMFG oil. Edited by Shollin

When I first smelled it from the imp, I couldn't really pick out anything. It was floral, but it was a really CLEAN floral. When I use to work for Yankee Candle, we divided our scents into different catagories - food, floral, and fresh. Even though there's a lot of flower scents here, I feel it would belong in that fresh catagory.

That stayed pretty true when it dried on my skin. The jasmine and rose really came forward, but there was still just this clean scent there. Like fresh air.

OH, it reminds me.. we have lilac bushes at home. You can smell the lilacs from across the yard on a day with a breeze. It's like that. These two flowers being carried on a very crisp light wind. Very elegant and nice.

Sadly, after about an hour or two, it became nasty dry roses. Really very much like an old lady sort of smell. I don't think roses and I get along very well..

I love the concept of this one and something I would of not chosen for myself at all but thanks for the frimps via the labbies!

This is a very traditional perfume with a very slight tinge of incense. It is fleeting like the night because upon my skin it was the same way. I wish it would of developed more.

the description sounds heavenly, and although musks usually make me shy away, i’ve learned that white musk is a good thing on me.

until the imp of Nuit and i meet, that is. as sweet and delicate as it smells in the imp, on my skin, it is instantly a harsh and acrid musk single note that continues to amp up until i have to wash it off.

phooey.

You know what's wierd, is when I first bought this I couldn't stand it. All that I could smell was super amped up rose, and my skin did not like it. But it's been like a year now, and the scent aged very gracefully. First and foremost I get rose still, but it's not as strong as it was before, it's a gentle white rose covered in evening dew. I also smell a bit of jasmine, but oddly enough it's tame and doesn't overpower anything or smell like a powdery diaper. The musk adds a creamy base to this scent however it is not very prominent. I can't really smell the moonflower or mosses, but after a while the smokiness of the incense comes out and adds depth to the florals. This is a womanly, beautiful floral. While it's not my signature scent, I will use up the bottle. Oh and it doess help me sleep. It's a relaxing and calming blend, very good mixed with Sleepy Moon.

Oh this is simply gorgeous - a well-rounded blend of jasmine, rose, and a slightly mossy base to temper the rich florals. Nuit is just so bright and beautiful, like the smell of the inside of a sweet buttery flower blossom flecked with pollen.

It really does remind me of the goddess. :P

I was really keen to try this one as it features 'White Rose'. I can't wear rose without it taking over and turning to powder/burnt rose so I was interested to see if this would be different.

Imp: Very light floral.

Wet: This is a well blended floral which is not at all overpowering. I can just single out the jasmine, white rose and musk.

Dry: The rose and musk become more dominant. A beautiful, feminine scent.

It didn't turn to powder on me and the rose didn't take over completely but it did fade fast. I could barely smell it after a couple of hours. It's a lovely scent but not one I'd buy a bottle of.

I agree with Lit Chick. BPAL has taught me so much about perfumes. I used to have a no florals, no matter what policy. All florals, or so I thought, would smell like old lady, baby bum, hard candy, or all three. But have learned from Beth, that all florals are not alike. So despite jasmine (my nemesis), rose (fairweather friend), and moon flower (who knows what it is going to do) I tried this.

In the bottle: JASMINE!!!!! Jasmine my nemesis is indeed screaming, shouting and making an ass of herself, while all the other notes hide from embarrassment.

Wet: jasmine is still crowding everyone else out. So far, I have a single note jasmine. I was afraid of this, jasmine loves me not wisely but too well, to paraphrase the bard of Avalon. *sign*

Dry down: jasmine and moonflower, at least I think it is moonflower. I don't know what moonflowers smell like, but I know what rose smells like and I am not smelling the rose. In fact this has taken an almost fruity tone to it. Now that jasmine has stopped screaming at the top of her well proportioned lungs... this is rather pleasant. Still more floral than I like and has the danger of becoming one of the aforementioned turnouts.

30 minutes: jasmine must have screamed herself hoarse and has finally agreed to the restraining order I got due to stalking. This becomes creamy and a little aquatic.

Conclusion: this is really nice, and would be lovely especially for someone who really does well with sophisticated "femme" perfumes, like my mum. As I have two imps, I shall give her one. :P As for me, I will keep one imp and see if I reach for it at all. If not, it will go on to my buddy Mandragora.

Rating 1-5: on my skin this is a 3.5-4.

In the vial (initial impression):

The softest jasmine ever tempts my senses. It's so gentle that I think I may have imagined it all together.

Initially on (wet):

Soft, soft jasmine - how can such a powerful flower go so meek and humble? I'm a little amazed. There are tiny specks of "ugh green" in there, but I expect it'll die down once my skin realizes that florals are not all evil. (Please?)

Wearing it (dry):

After 10 minutes, it has grown a little braver. White musk, jasmine and something possible incense-like blend in perfect harmony. It really makes me think of a warm summer night, in a garden under starry skies.

30 mins after application, it has grown a little stronger yet, with more jasmine, and I think I can pick out more incense and even a liitle of the moss now! Mmm, moss.

An hour later, it has changed quite a bit - the cool florals have been overpowered by the moss and (primarily) the incense. It seems much darker now - indeed like a black sky with little starry specks.

Finally:

I really enjoyed this one, though I confess that I don't know quite what to wear it for. I'll ponder that for a moment...

Lab frimp, and one I was considering, but in no rush to try.

Jasmine, like sweet-pea, is not a favourite scent of mine. Way to girly and sweet. Night blooming Jasmine, however, seems a lot kinder and lighter. This is pure floral, no questions. Pretty, but not one I'd really reach for.

Drying down it becomes a little more interesting - the floral becomes more ethereal and the white musk and moss are more noticable, giving it a little more depth. I'm definitely liking it more here.

And then something (possibly the moss, possibly one of the floral notes) goes a bit wrong on me. Now it's a bit like suntan lotion, and neither pretty nor ethereal. :P To the bathroom basin I go!

Sorry Nuit. Buh-bye!

Slightly musky, with a subtle floral undertone. I have been wearing it for about 30 minutes now, and I can't stop smelling my wrist (and my fingers, as the lid on the imp broke and I got a bit more on me than I would normally wear) - I really like this. I think it will be perfect for every day wear for me, as it's not too overbearing, but really pretty and sophisticated.

Am definitely considering buying a bottle of this one!

Wet- This was straight jasmine going on, but a nice airy jasmine. Not cloying at all.

Drydown- OK some of the other notes are coming out but I can't distinctly make them out. Its definitely more complex now. This is what standing outside in a courtyard filled with jasmine tree in the middle of summer wearing a airy silky dress smells like. It's a little softer then what I was expecting from the description.

Later- white musk. I just smell white musk now.

I like this but not for every day wear. Its definitely a summer night scent.

This one starts out smelling very strongly of jasmine on me, which does not move me. It mellows as it dries down, though, and ends up smelling lightly of musk and noticeably of jasmine. I'm also getting hints of floral soap (from the white rose? I get this with a lot of the roses, which really makes me unhappy) coming through.

It's not a bad smell--a very ladylike floral, with the musk adding just a hint of steadiness--but it just isn't my thing.

In the imp: wow. Rose, but not overwhelmingly so, with musk and incense and sweetness from the other flowers.

Wet on me: Delicious soft incense and rose. There are other things going on but regrettably, I can't identify them! There's a scent that seems soft, glowing and white, and I want to say that it's moonflower. But I don't know for sure.

After five minutes: Very sweet; a bit spicy and green. The jasmine in this is NOT strong, but there's a hint of soap. As it continues to dry, the rose gets stronger.

Drydown: The early part of the drydown is rose and jasmine with a touch of incense. A bit soapy on me still.

This is nice enough but after reading some rave reviews of it I was expecting to be totally blown away by Nuit -- sadly that doesn't seem to be happening. The beginning was very nice but on me the drydown is rather bland. A pity.

Wet: MMMMMmmmm...musk and floral goodness. I can pick out some faint rose, and faint jasmine...nummy...something a bit more exotic as well.

As it dries: All the notes just start swirling together. Each independent note is swirling around with all the other ones...I can pick the more recognizable ones out, but they are faint, and beginning to blend into everything else. This is an exotic, incensed floral. The scent does evoke the nighttime sky and the stars.

This is a remarkable blend. I think this one will be perfect for spring and summer nights, as it reminds me of warm summer evenings, gentle breezes, the moon sparkling on the water, purple clouds, and a million stars in the sky. This scent is gentle, beautiful and exotic in a hazy, dark and glittering, subtly incensed way. I'm going to get lots of wear out of this one. A+

In bottle: FLORAL. WHITE FLORAL. Screaming.

Wet: The floral gets really heady and strong.

Initial Drydown: The floral is still heady, but starts to relax a bit. The throw is *really* strong – this is pretty much all I can smell.

Dry: Once it’s relaxed a bit, then it becomes lovely. It takes about an hour and a half to morph to something I really like, but then it’s glorious – it’s soft and moonlit, but still flowers.

Color: Moonlight

Throw: Strong for the first few hours, then fades a bit but is still nice.

Overall: imp definitely, probably not bottle.

I'd say about a 3.5/5 or so.

In the imp:

Very strong florals.

Wet:

Strong florals and incense. It goes rather soapy as it starts to dry down.

Dry:

Just as I start to think that this blend is totally not for me, the musks FINALLY start to make their presence known. This might be a keeper after all.

I originally received Nuit as a frimp about two years ago, tried it once, wasn't particularly impressed, and tossed it into the imp pile. A year and a half later I saw it and thought, "I think I liked this," and put it on and it was love. I ordered a bottle in my next order. Moonflower seems to be the predominant note (I think I must amp it) with the white musks backing it up and the rose and mosses occasionally peeping out. The incense and jasmine are really muted, if they're there at all on my skin. Moonflower doesn't really read as a floral note to my nose- it's more of a powdery, white, translucent one. That's a good thing for me- I'm a real floral-phobe. Nuit would suit a classy black dress though I wear it in jeans, it's pretty but not high-maintenance, it's just really, really nice. And yes, it is reminiscent of night- staring up into the sky, seeing how heavy and full the moon is, the white smear of stars, the gentle push of breeze... Yes. This is nice.

imp: jasmine and moonflower

Moonflower smells like fairy bells. :P And for the first time, this first whiff of jasmine reminds me that jasmine is in fact a very lovely scent when it is not being a bitch to me.

wet: incredible throw, and the rose is coming up...the sweetness of a spring night mist. Could this work for me? I hope so.

The incense emerges as this begins to dry...soft and gray...god, this is so beautiful.

dry: The jasmine and the incense do amp up a bit, but I am floored by how lovely this is and how much I like and can wear it. I am definitely keeping my imp! And I think Nuit might be going on the short list of jasmine scents that do not utterly ruin themselves on me, along with Queen Mab.

In the imp: Flowery in an old-lady's-bathroom sort of way.

Wet: Geez, this really does smell like bathroom. It smells like toilet. It smells pretty awful. Bleargh. I gotta wash this off. :P

floral and a bit of dryness that i tend to associate with white musk. white musk is the only musk that disagrees with me and on, nuit smells very commercial and "perfumey." not something i'd like to wear.

I got this as a frimp and honestly, I wouldn't have ordered this at all from the description as I have had no luck with any of the myrrh, and other incense scents. But Nuit has been a most delightful surprise.

In the Imp (wet): This is a warm night - the florals are headier and richer, not to be triffled with.

On facial cotton (dry): The moonflower and jasmine lend their notes in a perfect duet of warm sweetness. This is soft and comforting.

On me: Somehow my skin brings out a sweetness that neither the cotton or the oil in its natural state revealed initially. I'm tempted to simply swoon in bliss at how soft and gentle it wraps itself. Very unexpected... in a good way.

Gorgeous. Florals aren't my normal favorites, but this is beautiful and calming. It's pure, feminine, floral. I rarely get a color feeling from a scent, but this 'feels' midnight blue to me. While sniffing I had an undeniable urge to just close my eyes and breathe very slowly and deeply, and I actually almost fell asleep. I think this would be amazing as a meditation oil or a sleep aid, maybe on an eye mask or a pillow. The throw is medium and it has a long wear time.

In the imp: Jasmine, just the way I remember it.

Wet: The jasmine's even stronger now, stronger than I like, but it's very much the scent I get walking on a spring night after it's rained during the day. When the night flowers open up and the moisture in the air carries the fragrance everywhere.

Dry: Once the jasmine calms down a bit, I get hints of other florals, but nothing I can identify. It's still heady and sweet, but comforting/calming at the same time.

Overall: I think I might keep this more for a room scent than a ME scent. I love the fragrance and it worked well on me, but I feel weird smelling like flowers. I don't feel like me.