Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
anmorata

Chaste Moon 2005

Though March marks the end of the desolation and chill of winter, it is not yet Spring, the time of rebirth, fertility and the Earth’s fecundity. March’s Full Moon is a Virgin’s Moon, pure, youthful, unsullied and innocent. This is the Moon of the Child, and the scent is as soft and gentle as a baby’s breath: milky blossoms and soft cream touch the last buds of winter, coupled with crystalline, bright traditional Lunar oils.

Chaste Moon is definitely buttery or butterscotchy. There is some little bit of milky element, which I do like, but overall the oil is very sweet. Perhaps too sweet.

I tested it once before, and my notes say "Not sure if I'll keep this one." I'm not really much into gourmand or foody scents. Now with my second trial using a teensy bit of the oil, my skin smells like a Werther's Original. There is a milk scent lurking in the background, as well as something sweet and a little spicy (which I don't recall during my last test).

After a while, it does morph into a sweet floral, which I do like and enjoy, mixed in with some sort of spicy cream note. All right, Chaste Moon has redeemed itself. Even though I keep saying I'm not a floral kind of girl, I think I'm more floral than foody, so I'm actually pleased with the metamorphosis from Werther's Original or Heath Bar Crunch to the flower power with a sweet tooth.

Within twenty minutes of putting on the oil, there's yet another change. The flowers fade back, and now I have a very sweet-floral that's not very floral. To put it in a better phrase (because that last sentence sucked), the fragrance is more subdued. It's not almondy to me, unless I'm getting soft on one of my banned notes. It is sweet, though not as foody-sweet as in the beginning of the wearing experience. I like this stage as well.

In the end, Chaste Moon really isn't a knock-your-socks-off favourite, and I'm still not sure I'll hang onto it, but I'll keep it around for now. I do acknowledge that it's a very, very curious scent, and perhaps its mutability makes it interesting enough to have around when I feel a bit mercurial. The Lab really created something very intriguing with this one, and I'd like to have more opportunities to get to know Chaste Moon better.

-doreen

Beautiful, light, with the Sea of Glass crystallinity. I think I smell florals and honey. It seems very white to me. The waft is very gentle, but inhaling deeply, you can smell the complexity of the lunar oils in there. Coconut milk, perhaps. Light, daytime spring scent, I think. I can see violetblue's guess that this is the "milk" in Dragon's Milk. There's some cake/foody/bakery element to it, too. Oh, and there's the mint. A very, very strange mint it is, too. I had a flashback to some strange cleaning material of some sort, which isn't a pleasant association. Fades fast, but is very pure and light.

Imp: first impresion was butter cookies... second was butterscotch..

on me, wet: rapid butter turns to milky.. yes, its like dragons milk and a sweeter version of alice all in one go.

On me, dry: Cream in a cup.

Imp-pression: Lovely, simply lovely. Ivory, not white.

Verdict: I wanna keep this and use it and love it while it lasts 'cause this imp is stuffed full. :P

In Bottle: Milky sweetness.

On Skin: This scent is pure heaven. I LOVE milk scents. Chaste Moon has a super sweet creamy milk note that seems almost like honey on me. The florals are so soft and accompany the scent perfect. I would bathe in this every day if I could. I want gallons of this scent. It does have such an innocent and childlike feel to it. It is very light which is the only downside because it fades fast. I can only hope Honey Moon will be this good. I haven’t gotten to try Milk Moon yet, but I can’t imagine it being better than this.

*Edit, I LOVE Milk Moon even more, wow!!*

I don't get any butteryness.

this is SO pretty. it's delicate without being faint.

I get Vanilla and Milk and lovely fresh crisp florals. a touch of coconut maybe.

it's a wafter too. you just get fluffy little clouds that every now and then sneak up on you.

I really like this a lot. I normally like stronger heavier smells and more in your face and sexy florals, but this is just so lovely, that I very often reach for it.

Surprisingly, Chaste Moon is the first Lunacy LE that I've ever tried. I think that I've shied away from trying the Lunacy LEs because I wasn't sure how the lunar oils would react with my wacky body chemistry. However, I put my apprehensions aside for Chaste Moon because Beth's creamy scents seem to meld amazingly with my skin.

Initially, I get a huge rush of butterscotch which fortunately disappears quickly. What emerges is a gentle, creamy scent with whisper-light touches of mint and florals that very effectively evokes a springtime feel. Chaste Moon is so light that I have to slather copiously from the bottle or mash my wrist right up against my nose in order to smell it, so it's a good thing that I have an entire bottle!

Chaste Moon

I’m not sure what’s in this one…I expected a super sweet candy scent, but it’s really light and pretty. It reminds me of something, but I can’t figure out what. Whatever it is, I’m loving it. It’s really too bad I missed this one because I would have liked to have a big bottle of it.

In bottle: Very creamy. It isn't as buttery as Milk Moon, but the cream's quite thick and heavy regardless. There's a definite hint that there is more in the blend, but it's so well created you cannot detect the individual notes.

On me: The sharpness of the 'traditional lunar oils' is a beautiful contrast to the rich cream. The slightly spices liven up what would otherwise be a very gentle, almost invisible blend. I am a big fan of the lunar blends, and this is one of the best yet.

Rating (on skin): 5/5

Summarised in a word or two: Flowery cream.

In the bottle: Creamy, almost buttery, milky flowers.

On skin, wet: A few minutes after applying, something about this threatens -- very seriously -- to turn to sour, spoiled milk. Thankfully, that passes after a few more minutes.

On skin, dry: When dry, this is a sweet, floral cream. A simple concept, but a surprisingly complex blend.

Conclusion: Chaste Moon is Alice's older sister, a bit sweeter and more floral. I love Alice, and I love Chaste Moon.

Edited by Aredhel

Odd one out here -- I don't get any of the buttery or butterscotch or milky notes everyone else talks about. I get a light, sweet cinnamon with maybe a touch of coconut underneath! It's got pretty good staying power, and I like it a lot... but this was a decanted imp from someone who I've since discovered other people have had issues with, and I have to wonder if it was mislabeled. Eh bien, I guess I'll just enjoy my imp, since it is a nice scent, and not worry about it.

Butter, butterscotch, and then a puff of light girly flowers. Like honeysuckle. Something about this makes me uneasy, because it reminds me strongly of something I wore in early high school. But I'll get over it, because this is really very pretty.

It dries down to a nice powdery vanilla after a few hours. I do feel quite chaste when I wear it, though. Not sexy at all, but light and bright and pretty.

At first I smell the creamy butteriness that other describe, but as it dries the floral scents bloom. In the end, you have a soft, sweet, creamy, foral scent that is a good all day scent.

My Impression: definitely butter cookies in a bottle with a light cream and just a hint of mint....I could see this as an everyday scent as it is THAT good...bravo on yet another lunacy I love... :P

Never have I been so excited about a Lunacy blend, with such disappointing results. Chaste Moon was nothing but mint, mint, mint, and being that mint is my least favorite scent in the entire universe, Chaste Moon and I just weren't meant to be.

Between this and Milk Moon, I'm starting to wonder if some of the "traditional lunar oils" have mint in them.

I instantly identified this scent: Butter mints. Those melty, chalky pastel ones they always serve at wedding receptions in the South. A creamy, sweet, buttery, minty smell. This is more delicate and less synthetic-smelling, though-- like an ethereal, idealized version of the rich, creamy taste of them. I happen to love butter mints (I gravitate towards them at weddings!), so I find this scent delicious and enticing, but I'm not sure it's really "me." Something that's really nice to smell, but not to smell like , on me. It's very, very feminine and pretty, and slightly... frilly? As Tea Cake said in Their Eyes were Watching God , "Jus' lak a lil girl with her Easter dress on."

I get zero coconut, and usually if there's any in there, my skin screams nothing but that (which is what unfortunately happened to me with Spooky).

In the bottle, Chaste moon smells like a watery caramel with a tart candy sniff as well as a touch of mint. When I put it on it explodes into a most beautiful floral that has a creaminess as well as something tart that reminds me of Smarties candies; not any particular fruit scent but just that general tart candy smell. The mint disappears entirely. I am left with this bright yet creamy floral that is also tart and sweet. Up to this point I honestly have never smelled anything so gorgeous in my life. It has incredible staying power and even though it'll eventually fade, every stage of it is a beautiful as the first. Bravo Beth! :P

Chaste Moon

Let me put it this way - if Chaste Moon was available as a complete line of products, I'd order the large perfume size, the body lotion, the shower gel, the sugar scrub, the powder, the drawer sachet, the candle, and possibly the incense.

This is just an all-around lovely, comforting, yummy scent.

On me, it smells like vanilla-tinged, very ripe dripping honeydew melons with strawberries and cream - and possibly heliotrope.

It's the perfect blend of fruity and creamy.

It's just the right scent for "the moon of the child" - it evokes soft baby blankets, plush toys, honey milk, bubble baths, soothing back rubs and all things sweet and comforting, seen through gauze.

The ultimate reassuring scent.

chastemoon.jpg

Out of the bottle it is the strong (almost stinky) milk and lime scent I found in Milk Moon. It quickly goes from that to tuberose and stays there. It may be gardenia instead of tuberose, but I say tuberose.

I see this as a befittingly simple scent, as chastity is a beguilingly simple state of being. On me, once it is dry it hits the single flower note and stays there. A lovely thought and a lovely perfume.

Personally I prefer the vulgarity of Milk Moon to the sophistication of Chaste Moon, but that is only my taste. I think as performance art, Chaste Moon is right on target and is as true as it gets.

Another from the full imp set...

When I first sniffed this I thought "Ooh, smells like Milk Moon". Then I put it aside because I have oodles of Milk Moon.

And it does smell like Milk Moon, or I suppose, strictly speaking, Milk Moon smells a lot like Chaste Moon, except that Chaste Moon is more complex - the floral notes are an undertone, but they are present, in a lovely, not too feminine, but very sweet sort away - just enough to make Chaste Moon not quite so "OMG I want to eat my arm".

Chaste Moon is fresh and light and very evocative to me of crocuses and other early spring flowers pushing their way through the snow and slush. It is nt the smell of that, per se (I don't know what crocuses smell like, actually), but that is what Chaste Moon makes me think of.

Wet on my sking I get a creamy start over a soft spicy bottom made of something between burnt sugar, vanilla, cinnamon or clove.

I get the Werther's candy feeling too, but as it dries down it goes a bit floral, maybe due to the lunar oils.

A very original gourmand, soft and sweet.

This one didn't change a whole lot as it dried. It just went softer and lost the cream cheese note.

I also got a pineapple note from this one. It's creamy, sweet, and pineapple, with a tiny little bit of floral in there. I really like it. It's a little like milk moon, but didn't do a period of rancid milk and it's slightly fruity. I like this a lot and wish I'd bought a bottle. oh well

When I first put this on, I was really looking for butterscoth (mmm.. werthers!)

However, I get more a creamy vanilla-ish coconut milk set upon a small bistro table alongside a pleasant vase of posies.

This scent though, unfortunately for me, seems to fade rather quickly as it dries. I get an occasional waft of vanilla touched with florals, but after an hour it's totally gone. Boo!

A very lovely scent, I just wish it would last longer!

I got quite a bit of creamy-light coconut from Chaste Moon.

To me it's lunar oils with heavy cream whipped up in to the most tastey and fluffy real whipped cream ever.

A bit heavy for summer time, but I'm a lot more pleased with it than I thought I'd be. It's a nice and inspireing spring bakeing scent for me.

I didn't think I'd like Milk Moon, and I loved it, which made me want to try Chaste Moon as well.

At first in the imp Chaste Moon smells a lot like Milk Moon, that creamy sweetened condensed milk smell. But it's not as honeyed, round and creamy as Milk is. The minty, herby smell that I associate with lunar oils comes through more quickly on the second sniff, and there's an edge of something slightly juicy and fruity there too.

On my skin, the milk smell softens to a mild creaminess overlaying the lunar scent. Peeking out from behind the creamy lunar oils is that lingering hint of sweet fruitiness, and then below that, there's a faint hint of florals. It's not flowery, or soapy or overwhelming, there's just something there that makes me say "Flower." Milky blossoms is about the right description.

As it dries, I don't get any coconut, just the lovely milky blosoms.

This is definitely prettier and less foody than Milk Moon. If you enjoy a creamy scent, but were overwhelmed by the richness and sweetness of milk moon, you would enjoy this. It's still sweet, but lighter, and cleaner. It's similar, but not the same and quite beautiful.

Welcome to my first ever BPAL review.

INITIAL THOUGHTS: Love the description. But Milk Moon turned into a sour plasticky/diapery smell on my skin and I was concerned about the cream note they both share.

BOTTLE SNIFF: Creamy, slightly floral, slightly citrus. But that same sour note I associate with Milk Moon.

WET ON SKIN: The sourness happily retreats (I'm already liking this more than Milk Moon!). Smells vaguely of key-lime yogurt.

DRYDOWN: Fades rather fast into a soft, creamy floral. Citrusy note very faint.

FINAL THOUGHTS: Lovely, clean, soft smell. And I don't typically like floral scents (prefer foody scents). It doesn't seem to waft (applied only to left wrist, and cannot smell it while typing). Will have to slather to enjoy its potential a bit more....? Not bottle-worthy, but definitely keeping the imp.

ETA: I swapped the imp, after all -- and not long after this review. Chaste Moon, did not work for me in the long run. However, Harvest Moon is another story!

Edited by erikasilverstein