Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Dragon's Hide

Flame-kissed, warm, smooth, and highly protective. Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

Dragon's Hide. Oh yes. This is a very warm, smoky scent on me. There's a hint of warm spices in the scent as well, but it's mostly sunbaked warmth, with woodsmoke from the nearby fire. The boy adores this one as well, so onto the big bottle list it goes!

dragons blood is kinda sweet but incensey. The leather is subtle and kinda nice almost a little soapy. The smoke seems to be an after thought, really only barely there as you pull away. Nice. But I think I prefer wrath when it comes to dragons blood blends. will have to try out a few more from ars draconis

In the bottle: Dragon's Blood resin.

Wet: Dragon's Blood resin. Which I am afraid will be the only smell on me, as my chemistry likes to amp it to cherry, CHERRY, CHERRY DAMMIT! *crosses fingers* it doesn't smell like DB usually does, this time it takes the Nag Champa route.

Dry down: DB and leather! Yeah baby YEAH!!! Does it make you horney baby? No cherry, just DB smelling a lot like Nag Champa.

30 minutes: leather goes into the background instead of sharing the space equally with DB.

Conclusion: this has great throw and lasting power. It faded down to smell just like the Yule LE The Cracked Bell on me, which I love. So much so, that I think I am going to have to do a wrist to wrist comparison.

Rating 1-5 on my skin, this is a 4.

In the imp: sharp and spicy and warm and smoky.

On me, wet: sharp, spicy, warm, smoky. Same as in the imp, really.

On me, dry: Hmm, I can smell the leather coming through. It certainly smells like hide of some sort, but hide that's still attached to a living creature. I guess what it reminds me most of is the smell of clean horseriding equipment - particularly of saddles and tack - that slightly soapy, slightly musky, warm, leathery scent. That description doesn't really explain quite why I'm so taken by this, but man, it's good - sultry and spicy and musky and tasty. I keep sniffing my wrists in delight.

Verdict: Aw yeah. I'm not sure I could wear this on a daily basis, but it's pretty damned nice all the same. There's a soapy edge to it, but somehow here that doesn't make me recoil, it just makes it even nicer. Yum.

Scent in bottle: Ooo...dragon's blood, leather, woodsmoke, and something that smells vaguely like black pepper.

Scent on me:

Wet -- The leather and smoke and dragon's blood resin all combine to make this wonderful warm spicy smoky scent.

Dry -- The dragon's blood sweetens up as it dries...I like the wet stage better, but this is still very nice. This would be a good thing to wear when I'm feeling fragile...it does in fact smell "protective".

Conclusion: If I ever get a scent locket, this will be something to put in it, since I like the bottle stage better than the dry stage. It's still quite nice as a skin perfume, though.

In the bottle: Dragon's blood and strong, astringent leather.

Wet: The dragon's blood warms up and takes over, as well as a slightly smoky smell.

Drydown: Leather is added to the smoky dragon's blood, and the general smell is resinous and a bit cologney - very clean, and the smoke smells nearly like steam than like incense. It smells spicy with dragon's blood and prety bitter from the leather.

Overall: Bitter smoke, bitter leather and spicy dragon's blood - it does smell like some kind of armour, and it's a pretty masculine scent, I think, fresh and cologney. I wonder if there isn't added pepper in there, because it tingles on my skin, and it might explain a bit of the bitterness. It goes slightly powdery and sweet after a while. I don't think it's a particularly pleasant scent, but I'd expect a dragon's skin to smell something like this.

My review of Dragon's Hide was lost to the great abyss when the forum went down, but since Dragon's Hide was pretty straightforward and I'm too lazy to go through the whole testing process, I'll try to do a review from memory. Dragon's Hide started out much sweeter than I expected. I had expected the dragon's blood to not be as strong, given the leather component of the scent. However, the leather is just hiding in the background. Even though the leather comes out over time (a slightly smoky leather) and comes to meld together with the dragon's blood, the dragon's blood still remains rather sweet. In this scent, dragon's blood is the note that's immediately apparent when you sniff, and only after processing it a few seconds do you go, "Ah, there's leather." When Dragon's Hide has completely sunk in to your skin and has become a dry scent (after several hours), the leather is more apparent.

:P This one was a little dry on me, but my nephew loved it, so I passed it on. Nice scent, but don't think I'll go any more than the imp.

In the bottle, this is all smoke: wood smoke and fume smoke and a touch of incense smoke - it's hot and chill at once and thick and dark but not menacing. Once on (and boy did I slather it) this enticing little potion flares to a smoke-musk as the leather jumps to the surface; the dragon's blood isn't the sticky residue it normally takes but instead a spicy sweetness that shimmers like crystals under the smoke and leather. Drying out, it's leather-leather-LEATHER and warmed up, this scent is smoky leather like a forge or metal worker: sun-heated leather that's been too close to the coals. There's no denying the power of the leather in this, a dark musky heavy leather; brown leather that has been tanned and beaten but hasn't been cured with butters or chemicals - this is animal and by animal, I mean predatory leather hide. Hours after hour of smoke and leather bliss followed wherein the only real difference was the smoke and dragon's blood gradually climbing back to the top and then a final burst of smokey leather before the dragon's blood ended the scent's life with a sweet and tangy finale of flame and smoke as the leather withered and faded away. Oh, this is SOSOSO nice. I am definitely in love with this scent, oh my oh yes. Can I go again now please?

In the bottle: WHOA! ::.is slapped in the face by smell.:: I can REALLY smell the leather and smoke. And I'm guessing the undernote that's making the leather stronger is the dragon's blood. Since I still haven't smelled dragon's blood alone, I'm not sure. I think this may end badly.

Wet: AGH! X_x Not for me. No no no no no no. I think I may be distinguishing what is dragon's blood now though after trying Dragon's Milk as well. The leather is very dominant I think. That smoke is taking a backseat. I just...don't like it. Waaaaah...

Dry: ::.CRIES.:: LEATHER. LEATHER. LEATHER. That's all I smell! I do not like this leather thing! T___T It makes me boo-hoo.

Sad sad sad. Oh well. TO THE SWAP PILE WITH THEE!

Bottle: leather, followed by the dragon's blood. nothing of the smoke yet.

Wet: the smoke is coming out, darkening the dragon's blood.

Dry: I have to admit, the leather note scared me a little, as leather usually doesn't care much for me, but it's very tame so far - mostly dragon's blood and smoke...dusky and attracting.

Later: I really like this - I have had hit-and-miss (mostly miss) luck with the Ars Draconis group so far, and I expected this to go wrong on me with that leather note - I'm pleased that it didn't!

In the Imp:Sweet-spicy-slightly floral dragon's blood, with just the barest hint of smokiness.

Wet: The dragon's blood is obviously the power note here, but the leather and smoke mix pretty equally and provide a nice secondary milieu.

Dry: The leather and smoke seem to get a bit stronger while the dragon's blood takes a bit of a lighter turn, now all three are pretty equally mixed. It's a very lovely flowery-spicy-smoky masquerading around in a leather corset. :D

Throw: Not so sure about the throw, I tested this on the way to and at work today so there are quite a few mitigating scents around (manufacturing business). I will reappy tonight before I go out on my usually tuesday night goings on and edit this with the findings.

Overall: So far this is my favorite dragon's blood mixture. The only complaint I have about it is that it doesn't seem to last very long. :P

*sob*

i had sooo been wanting to try this, to adore it, to worship it...

alas.

doesn't do much good to sniff from the imp, in shipping from the lab an imp of Cairo exploded all over everything, so that's all i smell on the outside.

but on my skin:

fabric softener and burnt leather.

vaguely reminds me of the "new car scent" scratch & sniff stickers from the 80's.

(the ones with the bald headed guy and the brown car seats, specifically. i dug out one of my old "sticker albums" and did a sniff test. ha!)

Edited by TrailerTrashPrincess

Dragon's Hide - I usually like Dragon's Blood and I occasionally like leather, but the combination of the two does a whole lot of nothin' for me. I'm neither excited by it nor do I find it unpleasant. It's just kind of there and I find myself pretty indifferent toward it. The leather is definitely stronger than the Dragon's Blood, but the Dragon's Blood still serves to mellow out the leather. I find this scent so boring that I won't bother with it again.

Dragon's Hide

In the imp: leathery dragon's blood.

Wet on skin: dragon's blood and warm, dark leather.

Dry on skin: red leather. This is crimson red leather in a scent-the dragon's blood makes this smell red, and the leather is warm, rich and delightful. I also get smoke wafting through the scent, a hint of smoke lingering around the resin and leather notes.

After a while: the d-b fades over time, leaving smooth black leather and smoke. It's like De Sade, only less like 'new shoes' and more worn, and with smoke clinging to it-not cigarette smoke, but bonfire smoke.

The last stage of the scent is pure, smooth, aged leather.

Verdict: at first this is very much dragon's blood and leather, but eventually this fades to a very pleasant leather single note-well almost, since there's a smoke component. But the leather here is much softer, warmer, more comforting than De Sade, and has a nice 'worn' feel to it, like a leather chair. This scent is comforting and I think of a sleepy dragon, dozing away, each little snore making some smoke come out of his nose and it passes over his smooth, leathery hide as he dreams. It's a nice scent but I prefer leather in more complex blends such as Bow and Crown or King of Clubs.

Emoticon rating: :P

If you like this, try: De Sade, Dragon's Blood

Edited by yeahbutnobut

imp: Dragon's Blood, maybe a little aquatic. (I know: :P )

on: That sharp, almost-aquatic note comes out, and the Dragon's Blood recedes. Gradually, the leather appears, taking on a sweet or creamy character,

and it's that note which sticks around the longest. Not a strong scent.

This starts out smoky and tough, a strong leather scent, but eventually that's overwhelmed by the sweetness of dragon's blood. Generally I like leather, while smoky scents are kind of hit-and-miss; here the combination has something syrupy-sweet poured all over it. The longer I wear it, the sweeter and smokier it gets . . . And in this case that's not a good thing.

I had one bad "dragon" experience and just figured I probably wouldn't do well with any part of the creature. Then Dragon's Milk found me and became one of my favorite BPALs...so I was curious to give the hide a try. Sadly, it wasn't meant to be.

It got very, well, soap-like. It also had an "off" smell I can't describe. So I'll be sticking with the milk and swapping the hide :P

i was excited to try this frimp from the lab, as i have liked pretty much all the ars draconis scents that i've tried. this one smells good from the imp - sort of smoky/florally. then, when i put it on, it becomes very leathery - not a problem, as i really like leather scents. as it wears on though, there's something that doesn't blend right between the leather and the sweet, almost floral-smelling dragon's blood. i get the image of scented feet in new leather shoes. i'm not a foot fetishist (tho i do love shoes!) - but this "foot in shoe" image i cannot separate from the scent, and it's kind of disturbing. other than that, it's got a lovely smokiness, i just wish the sweetness wasn't so prominent.

Dragon's Hide

frimp from the lab

in imp: dragon's blood, soap, and a hint of leather

wet: strong dragon's blood

dry: dragon's blood and leather

verdict: a nice blend, but I don't need a bottle

This one is more evocative for me than something I can pick out individual notes on. Leather, definitely, but not fresh new leather. An old leather jacket you've been clubbing in a lot, so the cigarette smoke has soaked in. But the dragon's blood sweet/spicy/red thing is overlaid. In general, I like, but I would wear it to get a specific effect or to put myself into a particular mood.

Dragon's Hide-

In Bottle: The cherry-powder smell of Dragon's Blood.

Wet: Ooh! I smell the smoke and leather now. It's nice!

Dry: Every time I smell a new Dragon's Blood scent I seem to love it more. This one is one of my favorites, with this lovely smoke and leather blend.

Overall: I love.

This is a nice blend- the dragon's blood isn't too sweet and the leather isn't too sharp. Together it's a wonderful spicey, smokey scent that in't too strong. Interestingly enough, my hubby thinks this smells just like hyacinth and loves it on me.