Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
shelldoo

Dragon's Hide

Flame-kissed, warm, smooth, and highly protective. Dragon’s blood, leather and a hint of smoke.

Heh, as if I don't smell enough like leather whenever I wear my jacket... This does smell a lot like both leather and dragon's blood, but the smoke note actually burns a bit. I'll stick to layering other leather scents with plain old Dragon's Blood.

First Impression: Rich resin.

Dries down to: Soft dragon's blood with a hint of leather.

Additional Comments: I don't get any hint of smoke at all - which is probably good. The mental image I get is of stumbling across a hidden, deserted library, full of books bound in richly tooled leather and edged in gilt. Dragon's blood is one of my favorite notes. This is far from my favorite in the Ars Draconis category but I did find it oddly comforting. I'll probably use it as a room scent.

Lasted: Several hours.

Rating: 2.5 out of 5

Still not familiar with the smell of dragon's blood resin, and having had a bad experience with my last Ars Draconis, I was a little leary to try this, but I decided to try this to see if it was the dragon's blood note that was the issue for me.

This scent seems very stable, and doesn't change on me. Apparently the note I disliked in the Dragon's Tears was the dragon's blood, but I actually don't mind it in this blend. I'm not sure how you get perfume to smell leathery, but this one seems like a leathery dragon's blood scent. I think this scent is more masculine than i would want for myself, and it has amazing throw, so i need to take it off, but I'd like it on someone else. Off to the swaps for this one.

Hooray, my first review!

In the bottle: Nothing but old lady perfume. :P

Wet on the skin: The leather slapped me in the face HARD, and I thought to myself, "Ohhhh, I could like this!" I kept sniffing as it dried, and the smell of burning autumn leaves started to come through, sharp and almost dizzying. Still though, there's that strong scent of what I can only (and unfortuantely) describe as 'old lady perfume'. I'm assuming that must be the Dragon's Blood, since I'm not sure what it smells like in the first place.

Dry: I keep sniffing and sniffing, and what I'm getting now is more of a sharp, heady incense smoke smell. It's the perfect Ashevillian hippie scent.

Throw: Heavy and horrible. It's sickeningly perfumey.

Verdict: I can definitely appreciate this scent, and while I don't hate it, I have enough sense to realize that it just isn't for me.

When I read the description of this, I just had to get it: dragon's blood and leather, two of my favorite scents? Yes please! I ended up loving this one so much that I bought a full vial of it; it arrived just in time, because my imp is almost gone!

In the bottle, it's pure dragon's blood - that sweet resin smell that I love.

Wet on the skin, it's still dragon's blood, though there's a hint of something drier starting to come through.

Drying down, the leather starts to come through VERY quickly. Soft leather and the barest hint of smoke. The dragon's blood is drowned out by the leather, but that's okay because I'm obsessed with the leather scent now - the first few times, I couldn't stop sniffing my wrists all day. It's not the hard sharp leather of De Sade, which was very nice but very not me; rather it's a soft leather, calf leather, reminiscient of long-used boots and well-oiled horse tack. Beautiful!

Dry, there's a stronger hint of the smoke, and the leather has softened up enough to let the note of dragon's blood peek back through, adding a bit of sweetness to the soft-leather and musty-smoke.

Unfortunately, my skin eats this scent up; it doesn't last more than a couple hours on me. I have to keep applying it. But that's okay! I love it too much not to. :P

I am beginning to think all things Dragon's Blood in BPAL is very good for me.

First, Dragons Milk, Then Dragons Bone, And then, Dragon Moon.

Dragons Hide is strong, yes. And a little smoky. And lasts for a long time on me, with a leather kiss whenever I catch a whiff as I walk. But that sultry sweetness just lingers and lingers. I don't know what the Lab uses for it's ingredients for Dragon's Blood; just don't ever run out of it! :P

I have got to get more of this.

makhsihed pretty well said all I wanted to! The only thing I found different is that it lasts for 10+ hours on me.

Seeing dragon's blood and I adore each other and I've enjoyed the couple of leather scents I've tried, I was pretty sure I was going to love this. I was right.

In the imp I smell the DB and the sharp gritty smoke :P On the skin the smoke is hardly discernible, but at this point the leather note emerges. I do amp DB though, so it's mainly DB with a wee bit of leather. I wish the smoke hadn't disappeared.

This is raw dragon's blood in the bottle, sweet and fruity. Under it I can smell the promise of the leather, which always goes on like a lewd slap on the ass. Here goes. . . .

Oh, wow, that is really, really different. The dragon's blood is so sweet, and the leather is so . . . smoky. I'm used to leather and smoke scents paired with earthy scents or musk scents, but the sweet incense of dragon's blood makes for a fascinating base. The throw is sweet, floral incense, heady and spirited. Up close, it has a fruity sweetness, with just a hint of dark leather and smoke. A kind of earthy, masculine pungency. In the space between the leather, smoke, and dragon's blood, a phantom citrus smell hovers, sharp and clean. This is beautiful, fascinating, and ever-changing, from pink to red to gold and back to pink again.

As it ages, it develops an almost salty tang, a sweaty, rugged flush that's really quite ravishing. I am completely undecided on whether this is a masculine scent or not. I don't think so, since the dragon's blood is so very sweet, but the leather and smoke are so very boyish. It's like a very clean man's scent or a very dirty girl's scent, if you know what I mean. It hovers in that gender limbo, and unlike other neutral scents, this one's not neutered. It's profoundly sexual, not sexless, and yet I can't assign it firmly to one category or the other without feeling like I'm making a mistake. And it just keeps getting more butch as it ages.

YUM.

I'm fairly sure that dragons smell more like bullsnake poop than like this, but this is a very, very nice scent.

My first time with Dragon's blood :P I really didn't know what to expect and when I smelled something very floral in the vial I was a bit surprised. On it turned into a fresh jasmine with a hint of smoke and leather. About two hours later the leather is really making itself known and I'm enjoying the whole scent more than I thought I would. Definitely looking forward to trying the others now!

Ars Draconis has not yet done me wrong, and Dragon's Hide is no exception. I already liked the major notes, so addicting me to this was so not difficult.

The lilac-like floral note of the resin, which some people get as jasmine, comes first, and stays dominant for a good long while. When the leather finally comes in (with the smoky note last on me), it stays warm, keeping the blend from turning overly cool for what it's meant to evoke -- and the smoke just sets the "dragon" stamp on top of everything. As with all of the dragons I've tried so far, this had great throw and lasted for hours, with the leather staying the longest.

I'm not sure if this is quite as sexy as Blood Amber. I might have to do a side-by-side sexiness test. :P

In the imp: Sweet DBR, but not overwhelmingly so, like it can be. I definitely get a smoky note. Roasted DBR!

Wet/Drydown: There’s a soft DBR base that sweetens this blend up, but I definitely get the smokiness and leather. This is a gritty blend, but not in the same way that Brimstone is gritty. This is thick and smoky. There’s a dryness that reminds me of Dragon’s Bone, and it’s not the DBR. This is staying pretty smoky. Very evocative – I can easily picture a dragon’s hide smelling like this. Turning very leathery. I really like this.

Dry: The grittiness softens, as does the blend as a whole, but it stays a pleasant smoky leather scent, with a hint of DBR sweetness.

Both in the imp and on my skin, Dragon's Hide smelled softer than I expected. I have been a little weary of leather since applying way too much Perversion one day and gettting almost queasy from it, but thankfully the leather is not overpowering at all here.

I am not getting any smokiness from Dragon's Hide, which from beginning to end smells like a straightforward blend of, well, dragon's blood and leather. Very nice but not quite as deep and complex on my skin as most BPAL scents.

This imp is headed to the Swap pile, as I am sure that it will blossom into a much more multidimensional scent on someone with the right skin chemistry.

I got my bottle yesterday, and 25 hours later I've driven everyone nuts by going "Smell me! I SMELL AMAZING!" repeatedly. :P I'm thinking Dragon's blood does good things for me.

In the bottle: I open the bottle, take one sniff and :D So THIS is what Dragon's blood smells like, because I wasn't getting a lot of leather or smoke straight out of it.

Test dab on hand: Hey, THERE"S the leather and smoke!

Full body douse: Yup, there's leather... and the cherry-ish dark smell of the DB...and the smoke is drifting in and out of there.

Fifteen minutes later: Where's that soap-y smell coming from? *Sniff* Oh my, it's my arm.

Thirty minutes later: Soap smell has left, leaving it's final iteration- Cherry-ish dark leather.

ten hours later: What is that that still smells so amazing? MEEE!

After my bad experience with 2/5/7, I almost gave up on buying BPALs that only sounded good without a test imp, but Dragon's hide has restored my faith! :D :) ;)

(Have I mentioned that I smell AMAZING?)

In the bottle: Sugar and spice, burn everything twice - that's what dragon girls are made of! I see a lot of commenters find this to be a masculine scent; I find a redheaded sixteen year girl with an IQ of 180 - or, possibly, a dragon in the form of a redheaded sixteen year old girl with an IQ of 180.

First application: Squeaky clean, showered dragon-redhead. Our dragon in human form is fascinated by indoor plumbing and is taking an hour-long hot shower with lots of soap.

Drydown: Soap, soap, soap. If I wanted to smell like soap, this is the kind of soap I would want to smell like. It's very nice soap. It's a letdown from dragon-girl, though.

The Dragon's Hide is very dry. But it quickly dissolves to an innocuous soap, losing all draconic character whatsoever! It was a surprising, and ultimately disappointing morph.

Faerygirl: Blah!

Frimp from the lab.

This is the absolute last thing I would order. Leather? Smoke? No. But it's actually kind of cool. Very masculine, very commanding. The leather is cold, sleek. The smoke is strange and elusive. The dragon's blood is warm and tempting. It's a beguiling combination, and I can appreciate the artistry of it. I would just never wear it. . . I'll stick to the vanillas, carnations, and spices.

Not good to start out with. This has some sort of sour overtone which is not working for me at all. Dragon’s pee. Ew, wash it off!

Not surprisingly, in the imp this is sweetish leather. I don't get on with leather much, but let's see how this goes.

Floral-berryish sweetness (yay Dragon's blood!) with the leather underneath, wet.

This actually doesn't do a whole lot of morphing. It's a well-blended leather-dragon's blood scent, though that's not really for me.

To my absolute disappointment, this is the one scent from the Ars Draconis I really can't stand.

From bottle to drydown, all I get is an intense bitterness that is nothing like leather or dragon's blood. I don't get any of the lovely variation other people have reported, unfortunately, and none of the sweetness. It's just a thick, murky bitterness that clings and obscures.

I guess my skin doesn't like BPAL leather. D:

in the bottle dragon's blood. god, that stuff is strong.

wet on skin dragon's blood. see the pattern here?

dry on skin the smoke and leather are there now and are very nice to offset the cloying sweetness of the DB.

two hours later sweet smoke, like the ghost of incense.

in imp: sweet and resin-y. huh? Oh wait there's a hint of leather and smoke. Definitely "Warm and smooth" though.

on me: smoky leather moves more towards the front, but it's still duking it out with the sweet smell. It almost smells like gardenias, wtf mate? *reads through forum* Ohhh, Dragon's Blood can turn floral, that must be what's going on.

after a few mins: a leather jacket that spent a day in the bar hanging on a gardenia bush.

Overall: An interesting scent. Definitely not an everyday scent but it could be a good scent for going out with friends

WTF? It's a floral A really pleasant floral, that I actually like, but a floral. I smell no leather, no smoke. It soon becomes cloying and fruity on my skin.

This was alot sweeter in the bottle than it was on me. In the bottle it was a little sweet (the dragons blood?) and kind of dry/heat smelling, which i can only assume is the leather and smoke. Well, in all my experience I have enjoyed the scents of dragons blood, and i love the smell of smoke...but i have always been a little unsure on leather. And I have never had them all together in a perfume. This lovely little bpal taught me that my skin amps leather. Too much, in my opinion. The result was dry, hot, and very much reminicient of a dragons hide. Well named, but not what I want to smell like. Thus, this was frimped to me, and it was frimped away.

Dragon's blood and smoky leather. It is what the description says, indeed. BPAL's leather note tends to turn into New Car on me, with a couple of exceptions, so I'm going to pass this one on.