Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Blood Rose

Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon’s blood resin.

A very voluptuous blood red rose, indeed. My mom has some very old roses in her garden, with small, velvety petals and a red so deep they are almost purple-black. They smell great.
Blood rose is very much like that. A full, dark and strong rose that is rounded by the wine and dragon's blood but not drowned. Beautiful, even to someone who never ever wears rose.

Ugh. It smells like dirty, sweaty wine and roses that have rotted and gone bad.

But dragon's blood and I are mortal enemies. I should have known better than to try this one.

I just received my bottle of Blood Rose, which I had to buy since I knew from the moment I tried my imp that one little imp would not be enough. It's one of my favorite scents! This is definitely not your grandmother's rose perfume! It's sexy and heady, and the dark wine and dragon's blood scents really linger, in a very good way. It's also got excellent throw, and lasts on me for five or more hours. Very sexy and lovely!

ADDED March 3:

In the past, I've always worn light, tea rose type scents, but there is something about Beth's darker scents that really appeals to me. If you like rose scents, as I do, you will probably love Blood Rose!

In the imp, you smell the dark, heavy scent of roses. On me, it morphed slightly, but only to get darker and richer and sexier. It's a very sexy, dark rose, and it has really nice throw and staying power. It's definitely not your grandmother's rose scent! One dab of the imp wand on my wrists and another dab on my neck lasts me all day at work. After about eight hours of wear, it mellows to a rosy powdery scent that is also lovely.

I will be ordering a full bottle of this in my next order!

Mmm, a deep, voluptuous, red rose, a glass of good merlot, and thee and a bowl of fruit. Taken separately each component is simple, but together they form something exotic and unforgettable.

Edited by SmileCat

it's an ok scent, but gives me a slight headache when i first put it on. after it fades its a nice smell

i'll have to give this one another try

In the imp: Fruit, but oh, so sour. The tang reminds me of Sweet Tarts candy.

Wet: Sweet Tarts with wine poured over them.

Dry: The tang is still there but very demurely so. I am picking up fruit so ripe that in a day it will begin to rot. There is a bit of deep red rose in there too.

This is very very nice. I can't stop sniffing my wrist.

Wet: On me this was actually a light rose that was still noticeably rosey as opposed to floral. It was very sweet from the dragon's blood, smelling like rose syrup.

Dry: I am in love. This is an I-can't-stop-sniffing-my-wrist scent. It's not a deep, wet rose smell the way Whip is on me, but it's an almost edible, sweet rose scent that's not on the perfumey end of floral. I don't get deep, dark rose. I get dry, sun kissed perfect summer day rose.

Verdict: Definitely a keeper, and likely bottle candidate.

Edited by morningglory

Expectations: Sweet, syrupy roses.

In vial: Cherry candy on a bed of rose petals.

On skin, wet: The rose takes over, leaving just a bit of cherry and booze underneath.

On skin, dry: Up close, it's sweet roses. The throw is almost entirely cherry.

After time: There's a little soapiness to the rose, but it's not overwhelming thanks to the other notes.

Conclusion: I'm glad the lab frimped me with this one, as I'd have never imagined trying it when I made my initial choices, but it's absolutely beautiful. I've occasionally gotten a whiff of gardenia that might be a remnant from the Dragon's Reverie (although I tried that on the other arm which is held as far away as possible). I'd be interested in how they smell layered together.

wet: wow, very strong and goes on a bit too perfumey for my taste.

dry: the scent mellows out a bit and now i feel like i'm smelling the color red.

i can definitely smell the wine and dragon's blood

i'm just not sure i could wear this all the time...it starts to get a woody scent after an hour or so and then completely fades away.

Imp: Red wine like whoa. Hm. If it stays that way, this might not be too bad. I can't even smell the rose.

Wet: Oh. Hello soapy rose smell. Mostly covering the wine now.

Drydown: Could it be? A rose scent that isn't horrid on me? The wine amped back up and kept the rose from being soapy. I love the wine smell, which I don't get at all when I tried Lady MacBeth. Hmm. Going to give this imp another try.

Imp: Sweet, candied rose. I get a touch of dragon's blood and the wine is very well behaved.

Wet: This doesn't bloom so much as it just explodes. It's so well blended that I can't really distinguish the notes from one another other than to say "This is one gorgeous rose scent."

Dry: This has a nice sweet/tangy dichotomy working for it, and the rose and dragon's blood entwine to create this smooth, sultry, voluptuous scent. It's very womanly, very independent, and makes me feel utterly beautiful and strong.

Throw: A lot. Take care when applying.

Overall: The description of this scent is what sucked me into BPAL in the first place. And, like many of my initial purchases, I forgot about it as I accumulated more and more. I remember loving this when I first received it, and now with a bit of age on the imp and a bit of refinement in my sniffing capabilities, I can appreciate it all the more. Definitely one of the--if not my number one--favourite florals from the lab.

Bottle: My nemesis Miss Rose comes back to haunt me...

Wet: Vinegared red wine with deep blood resins (It would be gorgeous if it stayed this way)

Dry: rose, Rose, ROSE! It's over powering and makes me want to jump out the window.

Blood rose needs a new home methinks...

So, I really like roses. Red roses, especially. And Blood Roses is one of my favourite Tori Amos songs, so I was really hoping to like this one.

In vial: Very strong rose perfume. I think I can smell it even with the imp cap on. This is probably what I was smelling when I opened my mail package. It's that strong.

Wet: Rose. Okay, I get that it's a rose perfume. Can I please smell something else now? My nose tickles. It's very powdery.

Dry: Rose. But dark, thick and sweet. Like the roses have wilted and their smell is getting concentrated. Like they've been trampled into the dirt. Not a fresh, light rose, this one. Very powdery when I have my nose close to my skin. (ETA: Also I finally remember what this smells like to me. When I was a kid we used to get this concentrated rose-flavoured sugar syrup that you could make drinks with and Blood Rose smells exactly like that. Thick and goopy and sweet.)

Overall: Strong strong perfume. I've tried other blends with Dragon's Blood now and I think this component of the blend is what's making me squirm a little. It's sweet and sticky and I find it too overwhelming.

Edited by trollgirl

I do think this scent is beautiful and has a different twist to it that a regular old rose or tea rose scent doesn't have, BUT it is so light on me. I can barely smell it. I would have to put quite a bit on to be able to smell it well. I really like it though. It's like an edgy rose...a daring rose, and that makes this fragrance sexy! Just wish I could smell it more while wearing it!

Blood rose is a rich, deep rose.

I've smelled this before - Jerome Arizona, an old mining town. The old town brothel had been turned into a lingerie shop. Red velvet walls with a burnt out damask pattern, red silk hankerchiefs over the lampshades, lace and velvet curtains. There are headless maniquins dressed up in fascinating and frightening undergarments. Mom grabs your hand and pulls you the hell out of there.

This isn't everyday office wear, unless your office is a lingerie shop or a ren-faire.

Though I love roses a lot, I sometimes go through phases where I find them very boring. I got an imp of Blood Rose while in the middle of one such phase and had to sort of begrudgingly make myself apply it.

Blood Rose got me right out of my rose rut. It's a bouquet of big, juicy, in your face dark red roses presented by someone with an ulterior motive. It's got a huge afterscent of lovely seductive incense. It's a scent that refuses to be ignored.

It also lasts forever on me. I applied it in the early evening and woke up still able to detect it easily the next morning.

It's too big for everyday wear for me, but it's perfect for some situations. Definitely hanging on to my imp of it.

In the imp, this smelled like candy and vomit. For about 20 minutes after I applied it, it was overwhelmingly berry and a little harsh for me, but it has dried down to something smooth, low-key, woody, and dark -- like the music of a cello swirling heavily through a flower garden on a hot, refined, yet decadent night.

Edit -- Unfortunately, it fades to just a whisper in just over an hour.

Edited by Noir

On me, Blood Rose is a very red rose with a slightly sour tinge. It's a lot like Persephone (my #1 favorite), but with only the sourness, not the actual pomegranate note. I don't get any dragon's blood at all. I'll give this another shot, but right now it doesn't look like a keeper.

Edited by whiterosepetals

In the imp: Deep, red wine scent, tinging with roses. Woodsy and medicinal.

Wet: Dark roses with a hint of cherry and incense.

Dry: A nicely balanced scent of roses that don't smell old ladyish to me at all. It smells sexy and sultry. I like this scent a lot and it lasts on me all day long. The dragon blood resin makes this smell uniquely great.

imp: very rich wine with a hint of rose in the background.

wet: the rose is threatening to go soapy on me but is kinda teetering with the wine for dominance. this is a really sweet rose and on people with skin chemistry that loves rose, this would be extremely beautiful.

dry: i smell the same wine scent i get from prospero but the rose is quite strong in this one so it's a mix of strong wine and strong rose.

Oh, this is so unfair. Dragon’s Blood and Rose are two of my favourite scents in the whole wide world.

But my damn skin chemistry amps wine beyond reason- so from beginning to end, all I could smell was super-strong red wine. There’s no rose or dragon’s blood detectable to me. I’m so sad about this. So very sad.

It does have incredible staying power, though- it was still going strong after twelve hours.

Oh, this is beautiful. Even the dreaded red wine note. This smells like a red rose that has bloomed long ago, and is just at its fattest, reddest point before it shrinks and dies. It's full-bodied, and smells dewy and red.

Beautiful. So sexy and womanly.

I received this as a frimp from a wonderful seller! So here goes:

wet in imp: Cherry flavored robitussin with rose

Wet on skin: Cherry flavored robitussin with rose

Drydown: Green rose. Fresh greenery with a hint of rose. This is perhaps one of the oddest BPAL scents I have ever tried! :P :D :D

In bottle/imp: Very sweet, red rose and wine.

Immediately on skin: This is a very syrupy rose scent, like Rose Red… though not as bitter on me because the wine in this really sweetens up the blend. There’s a slight sourness from the wine though which I don’t really like. The dragon’s blood adds some complex floral tones to this and mixes nicely with the other notes.

After a little while: The dragon’s blood fades and this becomes a very juicy, sweet rose and red wine scent. It’s almost fruity it’s so sweet, with just a touch of the light lilac scent I sometimes get from dragon’s blood. The rose is very fresh and dewy, and the wine is dark red, thick, and sweet.

Overall Impressions: This scent is rose, but sweetened and thickened with dark red wine. It’s a fresher, girly rose scent… very light when I expected it to be heavy. It is on the sweeter side, but the floral tones of the rose balance it out nicely.

This is very sweet. Both rose and dragon's blood tend to be very dominant on my skin, and this time they had a very stinky baby, with oddly enough kinda smells a little like cherry is thrown in as well.

Oddly enough, the scent makes me think of plastic Barbie dolls. There's something innocent and yet kinda fake about this scent.