Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
viciousviolet

Blood Rose

Sensual, robust, and silken: voluptuous red rose bursting with lascivious red wine and sultry dragon’s blood resin.

Spicey red wine and a hint of roses.

Normally rose notes don't agree with my skin chemistry, but Blood Rose is different.
It's very sensual, rich and a little musky. The rose note does become more pronounced as the blend fade, but the dragon's blood keeps it from overpowering.

Big bottle on my next "to get" list!

I just got this in a lab frimp, and had to review because trying this out has turned out to be the evening's entertainment.

In vial - wine and dragon's blood

On, wet - see above

15 minutes on - The rose has come out to play now. 'Play' may be too mild a word, though, because it's getting aggressive. My skin normally amps rose, and dragon's blood always seems strong and powerfully wafty to me. War has broken out on the back of my hand:

Rose: Kneel, Dragon's Blood! I will whip you into submission with my powdery, velvet-soft petals!

Dragon's Blood: I don't think so, you insolent flower! You can't do much whipping when your petals are bogged down in my sticky-sweet, fruity sap!

2 hrs - The wine never had a chance. Rose and Dragon's Blood are equally matched... and really, since both are strong scents on me, I should have realized that this combination would be the only one that could possibly tame either scent.

4 hrs - Poor Rose's petals have been shredded, and Dragon's Blood wins the field. I'm going to bed now, but I know there'll still be a trace of it left in the morning.

This has medium waft and a lot of staying power on me. I usually get tired of dragon's blood long before it gets tired of me, but this is one blend that I just might keep.

Blood Rose

In the imp: sharp wine and rose, with a dragon's blood note that reminds me of red musk.

Wet on skin: I swear there's red musk here, the scent now reminds me of Spellbound with wine.

Dry on skin: oh wow, this is quite nice, I think. The dragon's blood note smells almost like red musk in here-maybe that's what happens when it combines with wine? However it doesn't smell as musky as it was in the imp, it now smells more like dragon's blood. I can also smell the tart twang of wine here, with a rose note that is starting to blossom on my skin. It smells not too dissimilar to Spellbound.

After a while: this really, really smells like a sweeter, fruitier Spellbound with dragon's blood and wine seemingly mimicking red musk. I'm surprised, but it's a very nice surprise!

Verdict: another lovely rose scent from Beth. The rose isn't the dominant note in this-it's very nicely balanced by dragon's blood and wine, all three notes seem to share equal parts in the overall scent. interestingly, I get something similar to red musk from this scent, I'm assuming this is the components reacting together on my skin-and the result is a scent very similar to Spellbound-maybe a bit fruitier and more dragon's bloody, but I'm surprised at the red musk like scent I pick up in this scent. This is rich red and voluptuous, indeed. I'm not sure if I'll get a bottle as I do actually prefer Spellbound to this, but I might keep the imp.

i was hoping for a strong dragon's blood note in this... but i can't smell it at all! i'm getting rose and wine.. which are combining to make a dove soapy kind of smell on me. :P

I love rose scents!I never would have imagined that before encountering BPAL.This rose is dark and soft,not sharp and wet like 2,5,7 and rose red.It's a very grown up rose.I still smell mostly rose,wet and upon dry down,but it is luscious.I like it very much.

I am very fond of roses, and I like dragon's blood, so I had thought I'd love this...

When I first put it on it smelled like rose candies, which was ok...

20 minutes later it morphed into rose bubble bath. Not good.

It seems Rose Red is the only rose scent my skin loves.

This is really lovely. Roses with a light touch of Grape Soda. However,my skin sucks up Rose Oil, this has been on my wrist less than an hour and I can barely smell it(after slathering it on). @#!*&% chemistry!!! :P

Deep, rich red roses, with the incense from Spellbound, grapey red wine note from Lilith, and the juicy, pomegranate sweetness from Persephone. For me, Blood Rose is a mix of those three, but a little darker than them. It softens to a grapey rose with a hint of dustiness. I like the dark, romantic feel of it, but Spellbound is still my favourite BPAL rose.

Edited by ViolentKitten

In the bottle: The red wine note is incredibly prominent on sniffing.

On my skin: The wine loses to the rose note as this immediately turns to soap. Soapy wine, yum!

This is a gorgeous scent! This was a frimp, and I would have avoided it like the plague (dragon's blood!), but it is incredible. Like many say, a very strong, fresh juicy dark red rose. Heady. I can catch a hint of the grape that some people have mentioned, but on me it is more contributing to the lush effect, and less like "grape juice". It is the rose of Whip, and the fruitiness of Persephone (if it had been on me!). It was a hard call between this and Peacock Queen as my favorite rose, and Peacock Queen won by a nose, but this is really a beautiful scent.

In the Bottle: Smells just like Tropical Fruit Punch Kool Aid with a spiker in it.

Wet: Rose. A bit of wine. Doesn’t have much of a throw.

Drydown: Barely able to smell it now. And it’s all rose.

In the vial: sharp, tangy with a touch of rose in the background.

Wearing: this starts out as very sharp and tangy, almost fruity. There's a sharpness that makes me think of berries and wine. It makes me think of the color red.

As it dries down, the rose comes out more and blends with the other notes to make a very heady, sexual, heady rose scent slashed with a resinous and deep fruit scent. It's gorgeous.

In my ratings I gave this a 4 out of 5 stars. Lovely!

Blood Rose starts out a little artificial on me—snowcone syrup, grape. The combination of dragon’s blood and wine seems to be creating this effect. After a minute or so on my skin, the roses start to shake their hips but I’m still craving some Shave Ice. A couple of hours later, my chemistry has dominated and I get smoky incense and barely rose.

The drydown is pretty nice, but similar on me to the smoky Red and Black Phoenixes. I think I’ll remain loyal to Dragon’s Heart for dragon’s blood for now, and Peacock Queen for Rose. I’ll use the rest of my Blood Rose imp on playful summer days.

In the imp- wow! I love this blend of luscious wine, rose and subtle spiceyness.

Wet- the rose is more prodominent and I'm picking up more of the dragon's blood resin.

dry-alas, all of the wine is nearly gone :-( and I'm left with a subtle, resiny rose. It's still quite pretty, just not what I'm looking for, darn my chemistry. This makes me so sad. But, my wallet will be happy ;-)

This doesn't really smell like rose on my skin. Mostly dragon's blood, with a tiny bit of bubble gum. I'm not sure why. I like the scent, even though it's not what I expected.

In the bottle this reeks of cheap roses and grape Kool-Aid. But because I have learned not to judge things that smell too sweet until they are actually on my skin, and because I trust Beth, I try it anyway.

On my skin the utterly revolting stench of those loop-handled bank-teller lollipops immediately makes itself known, a grapey stink like the allergy medication I used to sneak from the cupboard and drink straight from the bottle as a child. (The fact that I used to do this probably explains a lot about me, by the way.)

That stench doesn't linger for more than a minute, thank the Powers That Be, and is quickly replaced by a soft, wet red rose. My body latches onto rose scents and pushes them to the front of the crowd, so the grape smell very rapidly gets pulled under. I still catch whiffs of it now and then, but it's relaxed to a winey smell, not a popsicle one. As it warms, there's a sweet resin smell, the dragon's blood, that brings up the slight fuzzy rasp of the rose beautifully, underscoring it without overwhelming or altering the floral scent.

An hour later, it's settled into a mix of roses and wine that I'd call nice, if that were in any way an adequate word. It's not aggressive, but not is it as polite as "nice" implies. It is distinctive and arresting, just a little sweet and fruity, and the wine note with the rose is profoundly, darkly, wetly, redly sexual. A throaty smell, almost too rich. This is a very womanly scent, but it's one with some real depth – both complex and overstated. Not many perfumes can claim both of those labels.

Wearing down, it's an equal blend of all three ingredients that is intriguing and arresting. I like this very well, but I don't know if it edges out "Zombi."

This is the very first BPAL scent I'm ambivilant about. I expected a lot more rose, but I ended up with a strange, sweet red wine scent. I'm still sitting here sniffing my wrists, and I think I like it, but I'm not overwhelmed by it.

I've had bad luck with rose. I think I'm even slightly allergic to it. But maybe not! Blood Rose is soft and sweet, and the roses aren't at war with the wine... it's another romantic day scent that is soft and merits more wear before I decide upon a bottle... however, the imp is most definitely a keeper.

When it first goes on, I get grapes. I'm assuming that's the red wine. Not like the wines I'm used to from Beth's work.

As it dries, some of the powdery rose comes out, a darker rose, to be sure. But for now, the grape and the rose are going back and forth, dueling on my wrist.

Mmm, think I may stick to my Rose Red and Whip.. :P

When I tried Blood Rose on for the first time and asked my brother for his opinion, he said "it smells like an antique shop."

That's cute, and I guess in the vial it does smell a tiny bit like potpourri (which is what I'm assuming he associated with antique shops) - but once on my skin, it's rich, silky, dark, and slightly boozy and fruity - like a heady red wine. It makes me think of a blood red rose with lush, velvety petals. Beth's name and description for this blend are flawless.

This is the perfect scent to wear with my silky, lacy blouses and camisoles when my hair is wavy and long, my eyes are smoky and my lips are dark red. It makes me want to put on something decadent and sexy. It's Goth and Romantic in the best kind of way.

However, because Blood Rose is so strong and seductive, it's not something I can wear often or during the daytime. But when I'm in the right mood, it's beautiful.

Edited by Cicely

This is the most delicious, sultry, juicy rose. It's like the combined scents of a bouquet of rich, deep, red roses with hot spiced wine. It's just plain yummy, the kind of scent where you have to stop every once in a while to sniff your wrist.

Definitely bottle-worthy!

Scent in bottle: Ooooo! This is like Persephone, but better! Sweet, juicy rose and red wine.

Scent on me:

Wet -- Huh? Now it's gone all bitter and weird. Is the dragon's blood not playing nicely with the other notes or something?

Dry -- Musky roses and a little bit of dragon's blood. The wine has gone off somewhere and disappeared.

Conclusion: *sad puppy eyes* It smelled so glorious in the bottle! But on me it's a generic, if nice, rose scent. I'll try it as a room scent, and on me again in a week or two.

Roses are one of the florals scents that I tend to like and often seek out (along with lily and lotus these days). And I adore Dragon's Blood and tend to like how Beth uses it in her blends, so I had high hopes for Blood Rose as an ocassional sweet floral imp scent, if not necessarily an OMG, must have big bottle scent.

Alas, there is something almost too syrupy about this for me. The rose does not blend quite right with the DB to my nose and it is just too...powdered rose syrup on my skin. Ah well. You win some, you loose some.

First I have to say there are some dragons blood blends that i cannot wear for one reason or 'nother but this..omg..this blend is SO amazing on my skin..i want to bathe in this! :D

In the imp: I smell deep dark red wine..mmmm.. :D

On the skin: the rose pops out but isnt annoying or cloying as the wine tempers it nicely. The dragons musk in lingering in the background.

Afterhours: this dries down to a lovely wine laced dragons musk..w/ just a touch of rose. This is such a romantic and sensual blend!

Big bottle list, fo sho! :P