Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

Very odd. The bottle I had was purchased back in 2005. Maybe the formulation changed? I know there are essential oils out there that are blue in color. Hmmmm

The imp I have also doesn't smell as powdery as the bottle of WoND I had back on '05. Very strange.

*scratches head* Maybe I'll e-mail the lab.

Nope, we don't have any blue oils and never have.

?? o_O I'm not sure if the bottle I got was direct from the lab or from a swap but I did have one and I swear the oil had a blue tint to it.

Also, in this post, [LINK] someone describes the oil (in a Chaos Theory blend) as looking pale blue in color. There is also another one here... [LINK2]

Edited by Monster

Could it be a greenish tint that looked blue?

It was definitley more blue than green. It was pale but still very noticably blue when I put it on my skin.

I got a frimp of Belladonna in a recent order, and I noticed it's a very pale green . . . an awful lot like my Hemlock imp. It smells quite herby as well (although, grain of salt, it's Rappaccini's Garden, there's lots of green in many of those scents ;)) - I've not had a chance to compare them side by side scentwise, but does anyone have imps of Belladonna that are also pale green?

I have two aphrodite decants from a circle that I'm 98% sure are the same thing. So chances are, one of them is mislabeled. They're Khrysee and Makhanitis. The oil is a translucent medium orangey brown color. Initially it smells quite soapy and floral, but the drydown is incredibly gorgeous spicy/resiny/woody.

I want more, I'm just not sure what it is.

Khrysee is supposed to be vanilla, amber and orange blossom

Makhanitis is supposed to be black plum, burgandy wine, sandalwood and champaca

Truthfully I'm not picking out any of these notes specifically and the longer I wear it, the more I vacillate between one and the other.

Khrsee (to me) doesn't smell at all woodsy, spicy, or resinous.

Could be you got 2 Makhanitis and you are mainly picking up on the champaca. I swapped my Makhanitis and I don't remember what color it was. My Khrysee is a golden amber (though most of my decants are :lol: ). The 2 really smell nothing alike (imo) so I think you might have gotten a mislabeled one?

Khrsee (to me) doesn't smell at all woodsy, spicy, or resinous.

Could be you got 2 Makhanitis and you are mainly picking up on the champaca. I swapped my Makhanitis and I don't remember what color it was. My Khrysee is a golden amber (though most of my decants are :lol: ). The 2 really smell nothing alike (imo) so I think you might have gotten a mislabeled one?

Well I'm certain one of them is mislabeled. I think you're right about it being Makhanitis rather than Khrysee. I went and read the reviews for both of them and it does seem a bit more Makhanitis like. However, so many people got the plum/grape/wine from that one and I don't get any of that at all. Also, some people mentioned that it is a 'red' smelling blend to them. I'm getting pure warm gold from this. While described as 'golden' it seems like Khrysee is too simple a blend to be what I'm smelling? Plus, amber usually has a very distinctive powdery-ness to me that this just doesn't have. In the reviews of Khrysee a lot of folks mentioned that it wasn't powdery though. :think:

Sigh. Based on the descriptions both of these blends should work great for me - I'm thinking of just buying bottles of them to solve the mystery.

The oil is a translucent medium orangey brown color. Initially it smells quite soapy and floral, but the drydown is incredibly gorgeous spicy/resiny/woody.

This might not be helpful, but your description of both the colour and the scent of the oil does sound like neither Makhanitis nor Khrysee to me - it reminds me more of my bottle of Melainis: the oil has a brownish colour and the scent once it has dried is definitely delightfully spicy/resiny/woody. Could there have been even more mis-labeling than you have already suspected? On the other hand the wet oil smells nothing even near of soapy or floral, it's a rather strong and distinct teak-note.

I havent tried either one yet :blush: But it sounds like your Khrysee could just be heavy on the orange blossom. Orange blossom can definitely be a soapy floral. And if you get no wine note (which seemed to be the most distinct note in Makhanitis)....

This might not be helpful, but your description of both the colour and the scent of the oil does sound like neither Makhanitis nor Khrysee to me - it reminds me more of my bottle of Melainis: the oil has a brownish colour and the scent once it has dried is definitely delightfully spicy/resiny/woody. Could there have been even more mis-labeling than you have already suspected? On the other hand the wet oil smells nothing even near of soapy or floral, it's a rather strong and distinct teak-note.

Well, I hadn't considered that it might have gone that far . . . oh dear. I'm not too familiar with teak, but I'll have to read the description for Melainis and see if anything else pops out at me.

I havent tried either one yet :blush: But it sounds like your Khrysee could just be heavy on the orange blossom. Orange blossom can definitely be a soapy floral. And if you get no wine note (which seemed to be the most distinct note in Makhanitis)....

Since I usually avoid florals I'm totally clueless about orange flower. I know enough to know it doesn't smell of oranges! :lol: I'll see if any blends I have contain orange flower to compare. Is that the same as neroli??

Since I usually avoid florals I'm totally clueless about orange flower. I know enough to know it doesn't smell of oranges! :lol: I'll see if any blends I have contain orange flower to compare. Is that the same as neroli??

As far as my limited knowledge goes: yes (please correct me if I'm wrong here - I have always wondered a bit why the lab uses both terms when it's apparently the same oil/scent). To my nose it's a very fresh/bright, citrus-y flower scent.

Edited by Ele

I don't think this instance could be classed as a mis-labeling, but this seems to be the most appropriate place to ask.

I've been looking through the untested imps I've received, and one is simply labelled as 'HWE 07'. I have no idea what the full name might be and flicking through my spreadsheet hasn't resulted in anything. Any ideas??

I don't think this instance could be classed as a mis-labeling, but this seems to be the most appropriate place to ask.

I've been looking through the untested imps I've received, and one is simply labelled as 'HWE 07'. I have no idea what the full name might be and flicking through my spreadsheet hasn't resulted in anything. Any ideas??

Could it be Midwinter's Eve 07? Maybe the H is actually an M?

Could it be Midwinter's Eve 07? Maybe the H is actually an M?

Hmm, I think you could be right! I didn't even consider that it might not be an H, and sniffing it it certainly smells like sugared plums. Thank you, I think my mystery may be solved.

I have two aphrodite decants from a circle that I'm 98% sure are the same thing. So chances are, one of them is mislabeled. They're Khrysee and Makhanitis. The oil is a translucent medium orangey brown color. Initially it smells quite soapy and floral, but the drydown is incredibly gorgeous spicy/resiny/woody.

I want more, I'm just not sure what it is.

Khrysee is supposed to be vanilla, amber and orange blossom

Makhanitis is supposed to be black plum, burgandy wine, sandalwood and champaca

Truthfully I'm not picking out any of these notes specifically and the longer I wear it, the more I vacillate between one and the other.

My apologies for quoting myself. How gauche!

Anyway - it was Khrysee. :wub: The soapiness is the orange blossom and I suppose the spicy/woody part is the amber. I ordered a bottle of each and Makhanitis blew me away with overwhelming PLUM (plus a vaguely poopy smell :blink:) They really are nothing alike

Do Glasgow and Zorya smell anything alike?

I had an imp of Glasgow that I loved, and then I gave that away to a friend, thinking I could always get another imp. When I did get a new imp of it, I didn't like it nearly as much as I originally had. I thought my tastes had just changed or something.

But right now I'm trying Zorya, and it smells very alike the second imp of Glasgow. So I'm thinking maybe the second Glasgow imp I got was actually a mislabeled Zorya.

I bought this imp off LJ or eBay, I can't remember anymore. I've had it for a while, and decided to put it on eBay because it just isn't for me. And here comes my problem.....

Someone contacted me on eBay and asked why it was in a decanted imp, and why it was red. As for the imp, I figured maybe someone had several and poured them together. Something I've done myself. I didn't give the label much thought, maybe it got ruined or the original owner thought their handmade label looked better. As for color, I've never had Anaconda, so I have no idea what color it is.

I should've read the reviews before I bought the imp. :cry2: Although as a rule, I never research the rare imp before buying it - I just plunge in and snap it up! Woo hoo! A rare!

I canceled my eBay auction, because now I'm paranoid! Would you guys please take a look at the imp and give me your opinion? I wish the screen was a scratch and sniff. It smells like spicy Snake Oil, with a whiff of zesty lemon undertone.

funstuff%20076.jpg

it does look "redder" than mine but sometimes different batches can have different colors...i had that happen with

some of my imps...i cannot recall what it was but my original imp was deep, golden and the other had almost no color...

I've had, 5 or 6 imps of anaconda and they are a light golden brown color. For me it smells like snake oil plus sugar skull. Very sugary but don't get any lemon from it. Sorry

Your picture isn't working for me, and I've never sniffed Anaconda, but I will confirm (after checking) that Coral Snake is a beautiful reddish oil, and definitely has lemon undertones... can you detect a sweet hint of apples? Because if so that's definitely Coral Snake.

I don't know what color it is, but your description also made me think of Saw-Scaled Viper.

It's hard to judge based on description, but Anaconda has a pronounced brown sugar or molasses-like scent, that is totally unlike any of the other snakes in the pit. If your imp doesn't have that scent, it's not Anaconda.

I don't remember Anaconda being red. Colors can vary based on age and stuff, but generally that's, like, light brown vs. dark brown. The only snake that I remember as being red is Saw Scale Viper, and if your oil is also spicy, then that's what my vote would be.

Whether it was intentional or accidental, sorry, it looks like you did get ripped off.

Hmmm, I have a bottle of Coral Snake that I've never used yet, I think I'll compare tonight. Thanks for the input everyone! If anyone else has any ideas for what it could be, let me know. *goes off to cry in the corner*