Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

I just found an imp labeled Hamadryad that is absolutely, positively The Hesperides. I've smelled several samples of each. But s'okay - I like em both!

I just found an imp labeled Hamadryad that is absolutely, positively The Hesperides. I've smelled several samples of each. But s'okay - I like em both!

You know, come to think of it, I thought I smelled apples in my imp of Hamadryad, but it was more of a general fruity crispness in the background, not as strong an apple smell as Hesperides seems to be. But I always have considered them sort of sister scents. Maybe just because it's easy for me to confuse their names.

Cor blimey! I just recieved an imp labelled 'Hamadryad' from the lab, and it is most definately /not/ the same as my last imp, which was soft dry cinnamon with faint flowers.

This is strong, medicinal root-beer! I've never smelt a BPAL oil like this before. Does anyone recognise this as a blend, or could it be an accidental single note sassafras or something?

Thanks for any info!

Huh. There goes that theory. (Strong, medicinal root beer is a description that sometimes is tacked on to both Tombstone and Laudenum, I believe both oils are dark colored.)

Pale yellow and thin sounds pretty close to what I remember Hamadryad looking like, which is not much help at all.

If it helps, I've searched my spreadsheet for sassafras. I have tried all of them apart from Dissipation. But the description for Dissipation mentions 'a sliver' of sassafras. This is pure, if not almost pure, sassafras... If sassafras is that root beer scent.

Yuck! yuck yuck yuck! and ow! I was just comparing imps of Tombstone and mystery Hamadryad, when I flicked loads of the sassafras oil over my face and hand! Ruining my carefully constructed White Chai Creme B&I fluff and Sugar Skull combo! Urrghh! Whatever it is, it's not nice...

:P

So...put that away for a bit, yes?

I'd send the lab a little note that you think there might be a problem with your oil and explain the situation. Whatever it is, it's sufficiently beyond the pale of the normal switch-ups that we're probably not going to be able to help unless someone else has had the same problem.

About Dorian, I ordered a couple of imp sets as gifts that contained Dorian & received them back in October. When people started talking about Dorian not smelling right I tested the two imps I had bought along with my aged bottle.

One of the imps smelled liked you'd expect: pretty much like the bottle, except not as mellow. The other one smelled totally different. Apple cider was the only way to describe it. The two imps were received two weeks apart, and hadn't been opened until I tested them. It was really weird that they smelled so different.

I wrote to the lab about it, and they said that it definitely was not a mislabeling of some other blend. They said maybe in the cidery imp the components weren't properly balanced, or something like that. I don't remember the exact wording because I had a computer crash so I don't have the email anymore. sorry :D They said it happened with imps sometimes, but I've heard of more than one person with a bottle of Dorian that smells cidery, not just an imp. I wonder if there was a whole batch that wasn't mixed right or something.

Has anyone received an imp or bottle of Dorian recently, is it back to normal? I have two more imps and a bottle on the way, all gifts, and I dearly hope they smell like Dorian is supposed to smell :P

If it helps, I've searched my spreadsheet for sassafras. I have tried all of them apart from Dissipation. But the description for Dissipation mentions 'a sliver' of sassafras. This is pure, if not almost pure, sassafras... If sassafras is that root beer scent.

Yuck! yuck yuck yuck! and ow! I was just comparing imps of Tombstone and mystery Hamadryad, when I flicked loads of the sassafras oil over my face and hand! Ruining my carefully constructed White Chai Creme B&I fluff and Sugar Skull combo! Urrghh! Whatever it is, it's not nice...

Cute :D

For whatever it's worth, Fallow, I remember that Dissipation was very strongly Ivy, very green and almost medicinal (but pretty). Granted, I smelled it many moons ago, but I'm pretty sure that it was not strongly root beer-ish. 99.99 percent sure.

You know...just in case you wanted to cross one other possibility off the list :D

Has anyone received an imp or bottle of Dorian recently, is it back to normal? I have two more imps and a bottle on the way, all gifts, and I dearly hope they smell like Dorian is supposed to smell

I just got an imp of Dorian today from the lab, and it certainly does not smell like apple cider at all.

Has anyone received an imp or bottle of Dorian recently, is it back to normal? I have two more imps and a bottle on the way, all gifts, and I dearly hope they smell like Dorian is supposed to smell

I just got an imp of Dorian today from the lab, and it certainly does not smell like apple cider at all.

Weird, does someone really think it smells like apple cider?

I just went and smelled my bottle and I do not see it.

I think we decided it was just an odd batch, Puddin'... it doesn't smell like that usually. (Wait, we did decide that, didn't we? Am I hallucinating?)

Frankly I'd like to snag an Imp of this pseudo-Dorian... it sounds quite nice, in a totally un-Dorian-esque kind of way. :P

yay!!

The pseudo-Dorian was very nice, except that I was expecting Dorian :P On its own terms it's a pretty scent.

I doubt the Lab mislabels imps, but I just can't think of what happened here.

I have an imp of Hamadryad that's been around for a while, and it's just plain kinda woody, yummy, definitely.

I just got a frimp of Hamadryad in my Yule order, and it has this gorgeous fizzy, pink Canada mint thing going on! Sassafrass? Saffron? I don't know, but I love it. Is this the usual Hamadryad, a brand new Hamadryad thing, a fluke, or a totally different scent?!

I also got a funky mint Hamadryad imp, in the order I received on 12/23. I looked around for other minty blends, and I think we may have gotten imps of Envy - based on the description of the scent, and the reviews people wrote. They pretty much described everything I was smelling on my skin when I tried this imp of Hamadryad.

::shrug:: I had intended to try Envy anyway. I just ended up getting around to it sooner than I expected!

Not an imp, but I got a bottle of Dorian in my most recent order that doesn't smell at all like my imp. My imp is gorgeous spicy vanilla tea that I want to bathe in. The bottle is mostly sugared vanilla with no tea. I'm hoping that a bit of time will remedy that problem, since I miss the tea!

I think I'll have to do a side by side comparison of this....

I think I might cross-post this to the tarot circular swap thread, since it involves that swap, but I thought I'd also bring it up here.

I have a tarted (thus fairly old) imp of the World from the Lab. Its gorgeous--wood and cinnamon notes, and just very rich, spicey, and delicious. I've hoarded my little half-imp, and have considered buying a bottle.

Then I got the Tarot swap, and as I was trying out Judgement, I thought, mmmm...this reminds me of the World, so I got that out of the swaps and put it on. It was absolutley not even remotely the same. The color in the decanted imp is the same, but this imp smells like very light, greenish, slightly soapy. No cinnamon (which is well-nigh overwhelming in my tarted imp version) and no wood.

Odd, huh? Doesn't seem like this one could be an aging issue because it is SO different.....

Like I said, I'll also mention this on the other thread, but thought I'd post here too in case anyone else had experience with The World...

I have another imp of White Rabbit coming so I can make sure, but I have a lab imp of White Rabbit that smells so much like apricot that I'm wondering if it could be March Hare. anyone else?

Not an imp, but I got a bottle of Dorian in my most recent order that doesn't smell at all like my imp. My imp is gorgeous spicy vanilla tea that I want to bathe in. The bottle is mostly sugared vanilla with no tea. I'm hoping that a bit of time will remedy that problem, since I miss the tea!

I think I'll have to do a side by side comparison of this....

i had the same thing happen to me.....i find that if you age it a few months

it turns into something absolutely breathtaking as you noted....the gorgeous

spicy vanilla tea.....your bottle just needs proper aging!!!

so many of my imps smell sooooooooo much better than the bottles and i have to say it all has to do with aging it!!!

good luck :P

today i got my lupercalia order and while i was sniffing my bottles my husband and a friend where sniffing all the frimps. when they got to pele (which i have two imps of) they both shouted out, "rubbing alcohol" and i just dismissed it as untrained noses. when i finally got around to it i found out that they, believe it or not, where right! it is alcohol, plain, straight alcohol. i even put a a dab on and it evaporated right away, left zero fragrances and it totally clear.

has anyone experienced this before? i'm i crazy?

alcohol, plain, straight alcohol. i even put a a dab on and it evaporated right away, left zero fragrances and it totally clear. has anyone experienced this before? i'm i crazy?

My experience was almost identical. No scent whatsoever... and my skin chemistry generally grooves on flowers.

My head scratcher was Hamadryad.

First imp gotten in a swap was well aged and smelled of a beautiful Woodland.

New imp straight from the Lab smelled of Cinnamon and absolutely nothing else.

Oh, I purchased an imp of All Saints from someone here and it smells like Penitence with no trace of flowers at all. But that was an imp someone made up....

Edited by Heavenlyrabbit

I bought a bottle of Hamadryad unsniffed & I got a frimp of it in a later order, both smelled strongly of disinfectant in the bottle a stuff we have here called TCP, Anyway as it was unsniffed I didn't know what it was supposed to smell like, & some of the descriptions I've seen on here for other things don't match up to what *I* think. So I put it on the swaps board & Mrs. Black offered to give it a home, & I recently got a PM telling me it wasn't Hamadryad, I'm :D because I hadn't a clue as I'd not sniffed it & the frimp I got of it smelled EXACTLY the same! So I really don't know what's up, I recieved this around late October / early November having ordered Early September. I remember because I ordered it at the same time as my Samhain scents & I know I didn't get those until after Samhain.

Thing is now I have to pay twice for it. Once for getting it from the lab, & once to Mrs. Black for her problems with it (We swapped Hamadryad for Terpsechore & I've not received Terpsechore yet, I think it might be lost in the post). Is there anything I can do or am I totally screwed?

Has anyone else had this problem?

Cor blimey! I just recieved an imp labelled 'Hamadryad' from the lab, and it is most definately /not/ the same as my last imp, which was soft dry cinnamon with faint flowers.

This is strong, medicinal root-beer! I've never smelt a BPAL oil like this before. Does anyone recognise this as a blend, or could it be an accidental single note sassafras or something?

Thanks for any info!

Yup!

We've had some issues with Hamadryad too. When I tried it at a Meet'n'Sniff last summer, it was dry and woody. Later, once I'd gotten Kettu hooked and she wanted to try Hamadryad, we got an imp of it that was all appley. We compared it to an imp we had of Hesperides and they were bang-on identical in scent, colour, everything, so we figure that one was mislabelled.

But in yesterday's order, we got 2 imps of Hamadryad, and they both smell not like wood, not like apples, but... wintergreen! Like straight, undiluted wintergreen oil. Now, I know birch oil smells a lot like wintergreen, so maybe birch is one of the woods in there and this particular batch is just kind of heavy on the birch. And I know natural ingredients vary in potency, so it could also be that the proportions haven't changed at all and it's just that they got a particularly strong batch of birch oil in, I don't know. But whatever the cause, we now have one imp of Hamadryad that smells like Hesperides and two that smell like Pepto-Bismol, but none that actually smell like, well, Hamadryad.

BTW, on the Baghdad/Bengal front -- I've tried both and they didn't smell at all similar to me. Bengal smelled like honey-sweet spices, kind of like walking past a Cinnabon store, and Baghdad was an overpowerly sweet heavy floral that smelled a lot like a department store perfume. But that might have been just my skin amping the florals in it.