Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

Hmm, I'll have to try out my March Hare. Could you give us some more details, such as color and other notes?

Hmm, I'll have to try out my March Hare. Could you give us some more details, such as color and other notes?

The colour is fairly pale, nondescript, really. As for other notes, I can't detect any. Because I'm so sensitive to patchouli (among other scents), if it's in a blend it just jumps right out and overwhelms everything else.

... Gives me a fierce headache, too. ^^;;

Have you tried it on your skin? It might settle down and morph into what it's supposed to smell like once it's out of the vial.

Also, have you smelled it before? Does this one smell different than what March Hare has smelled like in the past? Or is this your first time sniffing it?

March Hare, in my experience, does not smell like patchouli . . . but the clove note is really strong, especially out of the bottle. It may just be that the clove + apricot is triggering the "patchouli recognition" button in your brain somehow. I would reccomend sniffing it in different contexts if you will . . . some on your skin, some on a cotton pad, etc. as well as in the vial -- and also sniffing it while consciously trying to smell the apricot and the clove. The brain is so powerful that sometimes its expectations really CAN make you smell something different. When I thought my Zephyr and White Rabbit imps were mixed up, I could have SWORN I was smelling lemon in my White Rabbit -- but only because I got it into my head that it smelled like lemon. Once I realized it really was White Rabbit, I realized that the "lemon" note I thought I was smelling was actually the crispness of the ginger. I have been sniffing BPAL for a long time and like to think I have a pretty developed sniffer, but truly, the brain can trump the nose for anyone, no matter how experienced!

Good luck figuring it out.

:P

Also, have you smelled it before?  Does this one smell different than what March Hare has smelled like in the past?  Or is this your first time sniffing it?

March Hare, in my experience, does not smell like patchouli . . . but the clove note is really strong, especially out of the bottle.  It may just be that the clove + apricot is triggering the "patchouli recognition" button in your brain somehow.

As I said in the initial post, I've tried it several times over the course of a couple weeks, and nothing has changed.

I know what clove smells like. I know what patchouli smells like. Especially since I am very allergic to patchouli. I CANNOT try it on my skin because I am allergic.

The colour is fairly pale, nondescript, really.

You say the oil is fairly pale? Even a small amount of patchouli turns a blend somewhat brown, right? Anyone?

Edited by riddel

(edited for coherency)

My point is, I am not allergic to clove, I am not allergic to apricot, and yet this imp is causing me intense physical pain.

It smells woody, sweet/sour/rotting, and exactly like patchouli, whether it IS patchouli or not. No bite of clove at all, no apricot, just rotting WOOD.

I'm allergic to frankincense, myrrh, patchouli, cedar, sandalwood... well, you get the idea. Woody/incense scents. Clove has never been one of my problem scents, I wear pure clove essential oil without problems. Likewise fruits.

And yet, here this imp is, supposedly clove and apricot, and WHAM, stabbing pain behind my right eye.

Edited by lohengrin

Get another imp of March Hare and compare. If they are different then yes, it may have been labelled in error. If not, then you are allergic to some component of March Hare. Beth does not list every single ingredient in her oils in the descriptions. If you have a question, direct it to customer service at the lab, I'm sure they can accomodate you.

No need to be testy. We're all trying to help you with your issue the best we can.

I'll reiterate, perhaps you should get another imp of March Hare and compare. I'm sure there may be one or a decant of it available in the swap thread.

That is all.

No need to be testy.  We're all trying to help you with your issue the best we can. 

I'll reiterate, perhaps you should get another imp of March Hare and compare.  I'm sure there may be one or a decant of it available in the swap thread.

That is all.

Sorry, I shouldn't post when my head hurts this much. It does make me especially cranky.

Also, have you smelled it before?  Does this one smell different than what March Hare has smelled like in the past?  Or is this your first time sniffing it?

March Hare, in my experience, does not smell like patchouli . . . but the clove note is really strong, especially out of the bottle.  It may just be that the clove + apricot is triggering the "patchouli recognition" button in your brain somehow.

As I said in the initial post, I've tried it several times over the course of a couple weeks, and nothing has changed.

I know what clove smells like. I know what patchouli smells like. Especially since I am very allergic to patchouli. I CANNOT try it on my skin because I am allergic.

Um. What I meant was, have you had imps or bottles of March Hare in the past that smelled different than your current imp smells. As opposed to this being your first imp of March Hare, to which you have no prior March Hare experience to compare.

I did not imply that you don't know what clove or patchouli smells like. I know what lemon smells like, but that didn't stop my brain from telling me I was smelling lemon in White Rabbit when I wasn't. It happens.

Excuse me for trying to help. :P

Excuse me for trying to help.  :P

I do apologise. The headache really started to set in around that point in the thread, and I should have just logged off and gone back to bed with some painkillers.

I have an imp of Blood Rose from a swap, which is a pale amber color (it has a lab label on it though - not a decant). Then I got another as a frimp from the Lab, which was dark rosy pink. The pale one smells very apple-y, while the pink one smells more like berry+rose. Is it possible the first one was mislabeled? Or maybe it's aged and the scent has changed, along with the color? I can't imagine it would go from pink to yellow though - if anything I'd think it would get darker with age. Was BR reformulated at some point?

Also, I have two imps of French Creole, one decant and one tarted, that smell the same (boozy in the imp and wet, incense-spicy-sweet on the drydown). Then I got another one in a swap with a Lab label that smells like lavender and neroli - to me it smells just like Nanshe! Am I insane or could it be different?

Alrighty I have an odd one I got a imp of Mata Hari a while back and brand new one from the Lab recently and they look and smell very differnt (though slightly similar) both have a resiny scent but one is pretty much clear and the other is a light orange. Can they change that much in color and smell over time? Or am I looking at two seperate entitys both claiming to be Mata Hari or is one just a little older ?

Alrighty I have an odd one I got a imp of Mata Hari a while back and brand new one from the Lab recently and they look and smell very differnt (though slightly similar) both have a resiny scent but one is pretty much clear and the other is a light orange. Can they change that much in color and smell over time? Or am I looking at two seperate entitys both claiming to be Mata Hari or is one just a little older ?

I don't have my imp of Mata Hari anymore, but I think mine was a darker colour. I don't think it was clear.

-doreen

My Mata Hari was amberish in color if I remember correctly lol.

I want to think that my imp of Dragon's Heart is mislabeled, because it's so NOT what I was expecting and also doesn't seem to match up to what other people think of it in the review thread. However, I know that it could just be a case of "different nose, different smell". I thought I'd ask though. My imp of Dragon's Heart is a deep red, and smells very floral in the vial and on me for about 10 minutes. It dries into a soft powdery, vaguely floral scent with a tiny little bit of spice to it - but more like the kind of "spice" you get with carnation.

Does this seem to match up with other people's impressions on Dragon's Heart? Is the color at least right? (it seems so since I think I read somewhere that it was supposed to be a deep red).

My Dragon's Heart, is deep red in colour as well. Smell wise on me it's really just sweet dragon's blood, but like you said different noses/different skins.

slightly OT here but "with regards to colors of imps"....

i have several imps of Centzon Totochtin and they all range in color from dark amber to a very light golden color....however, they all smell exactly the same (thankfully for me as this is a fav of mine)!!

my guess is that when the lab makes up a new batch of perfume the colors of the oils themselves might vary slightly.....

Edited by sookster

Okay, I already e-mailed the Lab about this, but I'm dying to know which one I have.

I got 2 bottles today -- one labeled Snake Charmer, and one labeled House of Mirrors. The contents are identical. (I tested to make sure, and yup, they're absolutely the same, whichever scent they are.)

Now, what confuses me is this -- they smell almost nothing like the imp of Snake Charmer that wickedgoddess gifted me with, except for there being the vaguest hint of coconut to it. They smell like non-vanillaed Snake Oil, to tell the truth.

Are they Snake Charmer or are they House of Mirrors?

I'm so confused.

I havn't sniffed either, Pekeana, so my comments don't carry too much weight, but your description of the mystery oil sounds just like other reviewers of House of Mirrors.

Does anyone ever read reviews for one particular scent, and feel that they match another? There are two reviews in the Regan thread that seem to match Tiger Lily perfectly...

Edited by fallow deer

The verdict is in -- I apparently have two bottles of House of Mirrors. (And I think Oakmoss has a bottle of Snake Charmer with a House of Mirrors label on it -- which might make sense.)

Sara at teh lab is sending out a bottle of Snake Charmer when they get a chance.

My White Rabbit smells like peach/apricot. It doesn't smell like March Hare (I have an imp and compared the two), but it doesn't smell like the description, either. Just.... fuzzy fruit. Soft wet apricot, or maybe peach (I'm leaning towards apricot).

I'm hoping it's a chemistry thing rather than a mislabeled imp, but anyone who has experienced White Rabbit and recognizes what I'm talking about, please, let me know.

Yes,

I recently got a bottle of White Rabbit and I can pick out a strong "apricoty" note with a milky note, not as much as Milk Moon but definately there.

Edited by Nox Eterna