Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
lorajc

What Scent Is This?

This imp & the bottle (I still have the imp) Definitly smells like rubbing alcohol, not minty though like Mrs. Black says, but very disinfectant, possibly Birch I think, the Cinnamon *is* there, but barely, the Disinfectant note really overtakes everything else in it. if you smell it for long enough the other notes are there once you get past the almost alcoholic disinfectant type smell. On it does transform to a type of floral, but I can still smell that disinfectant - & now I can see how it could be minty, & very much like mouthwash. & very soon after that morphs into a softer woodsy scent, but NO Cinnamon & still that essence of Rubbing Alcohol's there.

This imp & the bottle (I still have the imp) Definitly smells like rubbing alcohol, not minty though like Mrs. Black says, but very disinfectant, possibly Birch I think, the Cinnamon *is* there, but barely, the Disinfectant note really overtakes everything else in it. if you smell it for long enough the other notes are there once you get past the almost alcoholic disinfectant type smell. On it does transform to a type of floral, but I can still smell that disinfectant - & now I can see how it could be minty, & very much like mouthwash. & very soon after that morphs into a softer woodsy scent, but NO Cinnamon & still that essence of Rubbing Alcohol's there.

have you put it on your fingers? somethings rudding alcohol will leave a funny white mark on the pads on my fingers and the imp of pele did that to mine. if you really think you got an imp with rubbing alcohol contact the lab and let them know.

i emailed the lab and told them about my imp and sarah got back to me super quickly and let me know that they have been cleaning the measuring machine out and it must not have flushed out all the alcohol when it fill the imps.

hope this helps....

Well, last night I e-mailed poor Sara, & told her of my ickle problem with Hamadryad. I also took a chance & tried the imp on me & this rubbing alcohol scent transforms after a couple hours into a soft floral / woodsy scent (At last) & the strange rubbing alcohol smell finally disappears, I'm now pretty certain the scent I think of as rubbing alcohol is infact the Birch!

As I said I e-mailed Sara & got a very quick & lovely reply from her...bless her when she got my e-mail she went straight to the big bottle of Hamadryad, & described perfectly for me what I smelled, & she's certain that this is what Hamadryad is supposed to smell like. So the official answer from the lab is that there is NOTHING wrong with it. Which makes me feel a lot better. I suggest that people persist with it if they love it, because it is right.

:P

Oh, wow. I have gotten not one, but two wacky imps of Hamadryad.

One was The Hesperides, a mislabel-- straight on carmel apple. (Received last year.)

The other is a mint-rootbeer fusion! (Received with my Lupercalia order).

Both were freebies, so I can't complain.

Those are some seriously off-batches!

I also have a bottle and an imp that I have I'm pretty certain are of the "real" Hamadryad-- woodsy cinnamon.

I'm rapidly running out, though. I think I'll wait a little while to re-order, because if I get an off-batch 5ml and not my woodsy goodness, I'm gonna cry!

Edited by sihaya09

I think I posted this in the "Anyone tried it?" thread, but my imp of Hamadryad did a serious toothpaste-mint thing, and then faded into oakmoss.

Okay, I tested my minty Hamadryad and after an hour, I caught the faintest tinge of wood under the Pepto Bismol.

I'm subscribing to the theory that the mint is a superdose of birch, and I beg and plead for the lab to fix this before I order my next bottle.

As for the minty imp? It's being oxidized. Mints don't work on me, and so I'm going to experiment on it!

Edited by sihaya09

I have unfortunately discovered, through two swapped bottles, that at some point, there was a Bengal/Baghdad labeling mix-up; I'm now the owner of two bottles of Bengal with Baghdad labels :P

I have unfortunately discovered, through two swapped bottles, that at some point, there was a Bengal/Baghdad labeling mix-up; I'm now the owner of two bottles of Bengal with Baghdad labels :P

Could be that someone decanted/dumped imps into an empty bottle with the wrong label. Josey, hun, where did you mean to post this? It ain't got nuthin' to do with aging... :D

Could be that someone decanted/dumped imps into an empty bottle with the wrong label. Josey, hun, where did you mean to post this? It ain't got nuthin' to do with aging... :D

I'm one of the silly sods who unknowingly sent her a wrongly labelled Baghdad, and I swear it was straight from the Lab, albeit a quite few months ago (checking my records, I ordered it October last year, so it would have arrived late November/December).

(Sorry it's off topic, just wanted to answer, please move this with joseybird's post to wherever it's meant to be!)

I'm one of the silly sods who unknowingly sent her a wrongly labelled Baghdad, and I swear it was straight from the Lab, albeit a quite few months ago (checking my records, I ordered it October last year, so it would have arrived late November/December).

(Sorry it's off topic, just wanted to answer, please move this with joseybird's post to wherever it's meant to be!)

@_@; I dun think I knew where to post it....*looks sadly at her...20 ml of Bengal X_X*

I got a frimp labeled Delphi from the lab. All I can smell in it is roses. There's no rose listed in the description, but a few other reviewers smelled a mystery rose.

Could it be mislabeled?

Hey all, long time lurker posting.

So I think my lab imp of Oblivion has been mislabelled because it is not green, but very yellow-orange oil and smells to me like sandalwood and something sweet (maybe fruity?). I'm not the greatest person at picking out notes, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't match the description. It's kinda bothering me because it's a nice scent and I want to know what it really is. Short of sniffing every GC that smells like sandalwood, I'm not sure how I could figure this out. Anyone have any suggestions?

I can't give a definite answer, but i have 2 Oblivion imps.. One is a very very old one that i got in a sale. This one is a thick, dark green oil and very stong smelling. The second was a frimp from the lab , that i recieved a few months ago at the most. This seems the same as the light-yellow colour you describe... As for the smell, i know i preferred the newer one. But i have a cold so can't test them atm sorry! :P

Perhaps aging has something to do with it.. Only other thing i can think of is that perhaps the blend has been slightly altered. I was a little suprised when i saw the new Oblivion too. :D

I've only seen the dark green Oblivion, but mine is an older imp. There could be a seasonal variation with whatever ingredient it is that makes it dark green...however, my imp doesn't smell sweet and fruity at all, so I guess it might be something else. Maybe you could try to meet up with another BPAL fan in your area and see if they recognize it?

I received 2 imps of Oblivion in my last lab order, and they are both orange and I can see how they could fit your description of sandalwood with something a bit sweet. I thought it fit the description (it does smell like wood spice and labdanum to me at least) but was lighter (in scent) than I expected. Maybe the green is something that comes with aging.

i never noticed this, but now that you mention it- i have a 5ml of oblivion and it definitely isn't green. it's the lighter color you mentioned. my old imp, from last winter, was a very dark green and had a slightly different scent. maybe the formula changed? :|

A review from Oct 2008 mentions the oil's greeness, but I guess it could have been an older imp that was reviewed. For those who have both the green and the yellow versions can you describe the difference in scent?

I only have the green Oblivion. However....I thought I was the only one that got sweetness out of it! After it has been on my skin for a while, this marshmallow-like note comes out, which I thought very odd. Not really fruity, but who knows.....

A review from Oct 2008 mentions the oil's greeness, but I guess it could have been an older imp that was reviewed. For those who have both the green and the yellow versions can you describe the difference in scent?

That was my review, and I got my imp free from someone else who traded it from someone else, and I don't even know where it came from before thatso, yeah, there's a distinct likelihood that my imp is pretty old and not representative of any potential recent color changes.

I think I may have had 2 that were mislabeled.

I had an imp of 2,5,7 that had no smell at all and a bottle of Parlement of Foules 08 with a similar lack of rose.

I know Beth's white Rose doesn't seem to register but the others do. (and deliciously so) so I'm mystefied by these. I even got the roommate to sniff and he was like "there's nothing"

I posted this in the BPAL question free for all...nobody has responded yet so I'm gonna try here :)

Anyway...

Water of Notre Dame. It used to be blue, right? The actual oil used to have a blue tint to it....or am I crazy? I just received a frimp from the Lab recently and the oil color appears to be a light, golden color now. It smells similar....but....I dunno, I'm confused. Anyone order an imp or bottle of this recently, any Water of Notre Dame fans out there? I owned a bottle of this a couple years ago and I swear it used to be blue! Or, maybe it's just a case of a mislabled imp? I swear the oil color was blue! :lol:

I posted this in the BPAL question free for all...nobody has responded yet so I'm gonna try here :)

Anyway...

Water of Notre Dame. It used to be blue, right? The actual oil used to have a blue tint to it....or am I crazy? I just received a frimp from the Lab recently and the oil color appears to be a light, golden color now. It smells similar....but....I dunno, I'm confused. Anyone order an imp or bottle of this recently, any Water of Notre Dame fans out there? I owned a bottle of this a couple years ago and I swear it used to be blue! Or, maybe it's just a case of a mislabled imp? I swear the oil color was blue! :lol:

I've gotten several frimps of Water of Notre Dame since I started buying bpal in 2007 and the ones I've received have been a golden yellowy color.

Anyway...

I've gotten several frimps of Water of Notre Dame since I started buying bpal in 2007 and the ones I've received have been a golden yellowy color.

Very odd. The bottle I had was purchased back in 2005. Maybe the formulation changed? I know there are essential oils out there that are blue in color. Hmmmm

The imp I have also doesn't smell as powdery as the bottle of WoND I had back on '05. Very strange.

*scratches head* Maybe I'll e-mail the lab.

Very odd. The bottle I had was purchased back in 2005. Maybe the formulation changed? I know there are essential oils out there that are blue in color. Hmmmm

The imp I have also doesn't smell as powdery as the bottle of WoND I had back on '05. Very strange.

*scratches head* Maybe I'll e-mail the lab.

Nope, we don't have any blue oils and never have.