Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Clove discussion! including bitter clove and clove cigarettes

Just wanted to add that Uranus had a strong clove and black tea component.

Really? I smelled cloves and cinnamon.

Normally, I'm a total floral/honey/vanilla kind of girl. But I recently acquired an imp of March Hare, and I am so insanely in love with the clove in it. Can anyone recommend any other clove blends with that hint of sweet?

Edited because my brain hasn't booted up yet.

Edited by Alethia

Oh my god, Smiling Spider on the dry down is mostly clove over dark wood. My sample is aged, which I suspect is part of why it's so excellent.

Oh my god, Smiling Spider on the dry down is mostly clove over dark wood. My sample is aged, which I suspect is part of why it's so excellent.

Yay!

Now I'm going to have to order another one. ;)

Yay!

Now I'm going to have to order another one. ;)

Apparently it only takes a year or two to get this rich.

I love clove AND clove cigarettes (y u illegal to sell in the US now, djarums? :cry2: ) , so this is a great list for me! I have to say Hell-Gate of Ireland goes to basically straight clove on me.

The old atmosphere Thriambus (when applied to skin, which I did because it smelled like a hospital in the vial and I only had a tiny imp) smells EXACTLY like some of the clove cigarettes I've tried. the tobacco note is a little too woody for djarum blacks/djarum teas, which I like most, but it's def closer to some of the other brands and the djarum black cigarillos I've tried.

Old Demons of the First Class is a good one to try if you like clove cigarettes. It isn't super heavy on the cloves, but it has a distinct dark/nightclub type of vibe and a gorgeous, deep, musky drydown. Plus, it's a GC!

Vespillo from the VILF series is heavy on clove and patchouli, and definitely not sweet. A gorgeous, earthy scent.

Normally, I'm a total floral/honey/vanilla kind of girl. But I recently acquired an imp of March Hare, and I am so insanely in love with the clove in it. Can anyone recommend any other clove blends with that hint of sweet?

Edited because my brain hasn't booted up yet.

Have you tried Sybaris, from Wanderlust? It's violet, sweet clove & mediterranean spices, its one of my favorites.

I just tried Voodoo in the weekend and it smelt very clovey on me, not sure how it smells on others.

Edited by becca_s

Saqqara v2 is an amazing clove scent. It's by far my favorite sexy clove and worth hunting down.

Edited by Caper

I didn't even think I liked clove until I got my hands on Mourning Lace. I think it's the vanilla in the blend that smooths it out so nicely.

On the hunt for a substitute for the divine an' discontinued Smiling Spider, the main note to my nose is 'bitter clove.' I notice a fair amount of blends with clove, but very few are phrased, "bitter clove." Ones with that phrase tend to be 'darker' - Smiling Spider, Death of Autumn, Dracul and Count Dracula have it, for instance. So is "bitter clove" just a descriptive, like "sweet honey?" Or are 'clove' and 'bitter clove' two different scents?

Edited by fasn8me21

I can't tell you anything useful about the terminology, sorry! However, if you like Smiling Spider you might want to try Saqqara v2 -- it's not exactly the same feel as SS, but the clove note is *gorgeous*.

Have you tried Sentimental Initiation? Black musk and bitter clove. I tried Smiling Spider a long time ago, but from memory they are very similar.

Nadie Se Conoce from the Pickman Gallery has bitter cloves as one of its notes! It's really deliciously spicy, and VERY CLOVEY on me, although it also drys down to sweet spice due to the caramel note. But yeah, almost all I smell are the cloves initially.

I don't know the difference either, but for what it's worth, it doesn't smell as christmas-y on me as 'normal' cloves.

Have you tried Sentimental Initiation? Black musk and bitter clove. I tried Smiling Spider a long time ago, but from memory they are very similar.

I adore Sentimental Initiation for clove, its wonderful.