Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Clove discussion! including bitter clove and clove cigarettes

Also, another clove county heard from would be Frankincense and Clove Hair Gloss, it's awesome.

This may be a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good sweet clove scent? I love the smell of clove cigarettes so I want that but sweet and foodie too!! Please help!! :)

This may be a long shot but I'm wondering if anyone can recommend a good sweet clove scent? I love the smell of clove cigarettes so I want that but sweet and foodie too!! Please help!! :)

Hopefully Gingerbread Poppet will come back with the Yules this year:

GINGERBREAD POPPET

Warm, cozy gingerbread spiced with nutmeg, clove and cinnamon.

Here are two Yules from a few years ago that you may be able to find in Sales:

THE WALTZ OF THE FLOWERS

White musk, Madonna lily, jasmine sambac, ylang ylang, bourbon vanilla, and clove.

This is very floral, but has a lovely vanilla-clove base.

GROßVATER TANZ

The evening’s celebration winds down with a traditional German folk song: rice porridge, candied fruits, heavy cream, powdered clove, and Lebkuchen.

This has a very strong clove note, plus notes of cookies and other sweets. It's one of my favourite Yules.

My all-time favourite foody clove is Kourabiedes, but it's almost impossible to find now.

I'm gonna have to try Gingerbread Poppet again. I had an older version but sold it off since it didn't last long on me. Maybe a new version would stay better? Hope it's in Yules this year...

I bet you'd like Pickled Imp- cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and pine sap (it's wonderful). March Hare is also a nice clove, but it's discontinued and hard to come by.

I bet you'd like Pickled Imp- cinnamon, clove, vanilla, and pine sap (it's wonderful). March Hare is also a nice clove, but it's discontinued and hard to come by.

I considered Pickled Imp but I don't really like pine. And March Hare is tough to get. :(

I considered Pickled Imp but I don't really like pine. And March Hare is tough to get. :(

I don't get any pine from Pickled Imp, just spicey, cakey goodness. It actually reminds me the most of Gingerbread Poppet without the ginger.

I'm resurrecting this thread since a lot of these recs are not easily obtainable anymore. Any good clove scents, preferably ones that I could find as imps to try before I got a full bottle?

And in particular, I'd love to find something similar to Bath & Body Works' old 'Warm Milk and Honey' line. It was heavy on clove and cinnamon with a touch of honey - very warm and spicy and comforting. But I'm open to all suggestions, really!

You can look forward to Clemence from The Carnival, it's still in the Act to come, and the clove is very prominent.

This may sound odd, and it may be just me (so hopefully others will chime in if they don't agree, as it really could have been my skin chemistry) but Pecan Pie, from Black Phoenix Trading Post's Great Pie debate, was pretty much clove single note on me. I tried the perfume, bath oil, and hair gloss - all clove, all the time. It made no sense to me, so I literally got cloves out of my spice cabinet to compare, and I was not crazy, what I was smelling was cloves. Just a thought!

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

The Avenue sounds really interesting and gorgeous. I've never tried a chocolate-y scent, so I'd be curious to see how that works on my skin.

I'll keep my eye out for Clemence. Do all the Carnival acts come back? I've been eyeing the Snake Pit and also the Pickled Imp from upthread, but I'm pretty new here so I don't know exactly how the Carnival works!

It's so interesting how big a difference skin chemistry makes! I'd be a little nervous to buy a bottle of that since it sounds like people had pretty variable experiences with it and I don't know how I feel about smelling like food, but I'll put it on my list of decants to watch for!

Thanks for the suggestions, all!

The Avenue sounds really interesting and gorgeous. I've never tried a chocolate-y scent, so I'd be curious to see how that works on my skin.

I'll keep my eye out for Clemence. Do all the Carnival acts come back? I've been eyeing the Snake Pit and also the Pickled Imp from upthread, but I'm pretty new here so I don't know exactly how the Carnival works!

It's so interesting how big a difference skin chemistry makes! I'd be a little nervous to buy a bottle of that since it sounds like people had pretty variable experiences with it and I don't know how I feel about smelling like food, but I'll put it on my list of decants to watch for!

The Carnaval came around once before and then was sadly gone (I think in 2011?), but it is now making its reappearance! Act I and Act II were re-released this past summer, and we are all eagerly awaiting the re-release of the next acts!

Also, for consideration (both available right now, although LE and unimpable):

The Imperfect Enjoyment: Filthy: myrrh, guiacwood, scorched clove, black musk, pitch, and 13-year aged patchouli.

In Time of Plague: Blackened roses against a backdrop of velvet opoponax, bitter clove, and tobacco absolute.

The Mirror, from this year's Lupers. In combined with pink pepper and ambergris with a touch of lily, this is perfect.

Oh my goodness I'm so excited for the Carnaval's return! That's awesome.

@LiberAmoris, thanks! I'll definitely keep an eye out for decants of The Imperfect Enjoyment.

@sprout, that sounds intriguing, but the lily makes me a little nervous. I guess it depends on how strong the floral note is. Also, I had no idea what ambergris smelled like so I googled it, and "a waxlike substance that originates as a secretion in the intestines of the sperm whale"

Some things are probably better left unknown :tongue:

Also, does anyone have particular favorite clove notes from the GC? I was looking through the clove tag in the lab, and it sounded like Plunder and Wrath both have the cinnamon note I was looking for. Any thoughts?

This may sound odd, and it may be just me (so hopefully others will chime in if they don't agree, as it really could have been my skin chemistry) but Pecan Pie, from Black Phoenix Trading Post's Great Pie debate, was pretty much clove single note on me. I tried the perfume, bath oil, and hair gloss - all clove, all the time. It made no sense to me, so I literally got cloves out of my spice cabinet to compare, and I was not crazy, what I was smelling was cloves. Just a thought!

Jeez if I had known that I would have snagged some!

Seconding Imperfect Enjoyment, Port Au Prince, and Old Demons Of The First Class!

La Ronde Du Sabbat (Halloween 2015) and All That I Possess (OLLA) are two more recent clovey scents that might be worth checking out. This thread has given me so many new things for my wishlist.

The Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn 2016 (haven't tried the original and 2016 has the addition of ambrette seed) is the loveliest clove scent I have tried thus far. I don't love clove, but I like it. I do tend to amp it. The Wild Men is lovely sweet amber and clove, with complexity provided by the other notes even though I can't really pick them out. I am planning to get my hands on a bottle. It may actually be one of my favourite amber scents as well!

Once it's dry on me, Voodoo is a really beautiful clove. The other notes all take a back seat to clove for me.

I'm resurrecting this thread since a lot of these recs are not easily obtainable anymore. Any good clove scents, preferably ones that I could find as imps to try before I got a full bottle?

And in particular, I'd love to find something similar to Bath & Body Works' old 'Warm Milk and Honey' line. It was heavy on clove and cinnamon with a touch of honey - very warm and spicy and comforting. But I'm open to all suggestions, really!

going down the lab's list of currently available clove scents, dracul, plunder, sybaris and blood kiss are the only ones I've tried that are gc and in imp form. I liked them ok but i don't reach for them to wear them. I love troll, but prefer it in the gingerbread version that came out a few years ago.

clove essential oil is something I like a tiny bit of for a few moments, but after a while it starts to feel acrid and intrusive to my nose. sometimes clove in a scent can do that to me too. in other words, my love of clove is limited so take my advice with this in mind!

however the following scents from bpal have clove but are heavenly and divine and I recommend them heartily, although they aren't quite close to milk and clove and honey. many lean slightly unisex to masculine.

these aren't gc and some will be OOS soon!

crimson

looming spectre of inutterable horror

GEMINI!!

the wild men of jezirat al tennyn

WOMEN'S SONG OF MOURNING hair gloss from the post (there is also a frankincense clove hg but I've never tried it)

out of stock but worth trying if you get the chance:

gacela of the dark death

gingerbread troll

imperfect enjoyment

ketkrokur

la ronde du sabbat

palus putridinus

the season of forgiveness

wilf

Pumpkin Spice Everything perfume (2014) was strong on the clove. Strangely, the atmosphere spray & hair gloss were not - I got more of a mix of spices from them. I really like the clove in Clemence & WIld Men of Jezirat, too.

You might also want to look for things with a carnation note - it's quite similar & might be softer. Here's the thread: http://www.bpal.org/topic/21410-carnations/

Off the top of my head from the GC, Alice has carnation, milk & honey with a little bit of rose. Morocco is also nice but might not be quite what you're looking for.

Once it's dry on me, Voodoo is a really beautiful clove. The other notes all take a back seat to clove for me.

Oh yes. I tried Voodoo a couple weeks ago and was blown away with how the clove came out on my skin. It wasn't quite the scent that I was originally looking for when I came into this thread, but I'm definitely obsessed.

going down the lab's list of currently available clove scents, dracul, plunder, sybaris and blood kiss are the only ones I've tried that are gc and in imp form. I liked them ok but i don't reach for them to wear them. I love troll, but prefer it in the gingerbread version that came out a few years ago.

clove essential oil is something I like a tiny bit of for a few moments, but after a while it starts to feel acrid and intrusive to my nose. sometimes clove in a scent can do that to me too. in other words, my love of clove is limited so take my advice with this in mind!

however the following scents from bpal have clove but are heavenly and divine and I recommend them heartily, although they aren't quite close to milk and clove and honey. many lean slightly unisex to masculine.

these aren't gc and some will be OOS soon!

crimson

looming spectre of inutterable horror

GEMINI!!

the wild men of jezirat al tennyn

WOMEN'S SONG OF MOURNING hair gloss from the post (there is also a frankincense clove hg but I've never tried it)

out of stock but worth trying if you get the chance:

gacela of the dark death

gingerbread troll

imperfect enjoyment

ketkrokur

la ronde du sabbat

palus putridinus

the season of forgiveness

wilf

Thank you for all the suggestions! With so many people recommending The Wild Men of Jezirat, I think I'm definitely going to have to try that first. And I love the sound of Gemini too. I'm so excited.

Pumpkin Spice Everything perfume (2014) was strong on the clove. Strangely, the atmosphere spray & hair gloss were not - I got more of a mix of spices from them. I really like the clove in Clemence & WIld Men of Jezirat, too.

You might also want to look for things with a carnation note - it's quite similar & might be softer. Here's the thread: http://www.bpal.org/topic/21410-carnations/

Off the top of my head from the GC, Alice has carnation, milk & honey with a little bit of rose. Morocco is also nice but might not be quite what you're looking for.

I'd never considered carnation as a substitute but I'll have to look into that thread. I do like Alice quite a bit, but unfortunately it turns very powdery on drydown on my skin, so I guess I'll have to keep looking. I love Morocco too, but like you said, not quite what I was wanting. Thanks for your suggestions though! I'm definitely gonna try The Wild Men now.

I hesitate to mention this scent, as it may be my #1 (you know how hard it is to choose!) but Velvet Bandito offers an amazing clove. I love it so much!

I hesitate to mention this scent, as it may be my #1 (you know how hard it is to choose!) but Velvet Bandito offers an amazing clove. I love it so much!

That's one of my favorites too.