Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Clove discussion! including bitter clove and clove cigarettes

I haven't tried Dracul or Lunar Eclipse, but Dracul is on my wish list. If I recall correctly, I was scared off by the reviews of Lunar Eclipse mentioning a lot of vetiver... I may have to go re-read those and re-think my position.

Thanks to both of you!

FWIW, if I detected any vetiver in Lunar Eclipse, it wasn't enough to be worth mentioning. BUT! I also didn't get a lot of tobacco (which was a relief for me personally, but not so much when you're looking for it).

Edited by PhantasmMysteria

FWIW, if I detected any vetiver in Lunar Eclipse, it wasn't enough to be worth mentioning. BUT! I also didn't get a lot of tobacco (which was a relief for me personally, but not so much when you're looking for it).

Good to know.

And PhantasmMysteria, I have to say that I could probably watch your avatar animation for the better part of an hour. I think someone else mentioned that it is rather mesmerizing, and I have to agree!

/hijack

I've been on a similar quest, and I will say that Dracul, on me, was purely pine. The Smiling Spider is very close to what I've envisioned for "my" clove scent, but some days it's more musky than others (stupid skin), though it's quite lovely either way. I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but I got a frimp of Malice with my order, and that's listed as "Ylang ylang, clove, Indonesian red patchouli, and dark myrrh." I haven't tested that one very much (Because I"ve been ridin' the spider), but it looks (smells?) promising as well.

Good to know.

And PhantasmMysteria, I have to say that I could probably watch your avatar animation for the better part of an hour. I think someone else mentioned that it is rather mesmerizing, and I have to agree!

/hijack

Hahaha...that was me. Mmmm...Capt.Tightpants *drool*

But..on topic, I had Lunar Eclipse and I personally don't think it come anywhere near what you mentioned. I didn't get much tobacco in it, I am not sure what I got, but sadly, it really didn't work for me. It's going to be a little while before I get my bottle of Smiling Spider (ordered it on the 29th), but I will totally report back.

I've been on a similar quest, and I will say that Dracul, on me, was purely pine. The Smiling Spider is very close to what I've envisioned for "my" clove scent, but some days it's more musky than others (stupid skin), though it's quite lovely either way. I didn't see it mentioned in this thread but I got a frimp of Malice with my order, and that's listed as "Ylang ylang, clove, Indonesian red patchouli, and dark myrrh." I haven't tested that one very much (Because I"ve been ridin' the spider), but it looks (smells?) promising as well.

"Ridin' the spider"? :P

Pine is not a note I enjoy, so I'll be keeping my fingers crossed that Dracul isn't too pine-y on me. If you think of it, please pop in here after you've tried Malice and let me know what you think of it. Aside from the ylang-ylang, it sounds lovely.

Hahaha...that was me. Mmmm...Capt.Tightpants *drool*

But..on topic, I had Lunar Eclipse and I personally don't think it come anywhere near what you mentioned. I didn't get much tobacco in it, I am not sure what I got, but sadly, it really didn't work for me. It's going to be a little while before I get my bottle of Smiling Spider (ordered it on the 29th), but I will totally report back.

Captain Tightpants is totally droolworthy.

And please do report back after you've had a chance to test-drive The Smiling Spider!

I think Count Dracula is the closest I've tried to clove cigarette smells. It's an explosion of of clove and cinnamon with dusty slightly smoky dry down. The Smiling Spider would be my second closest bet. Even though you don't like cinnamon, I think Count Dracula is more of a clove cigarette scent, while Smiling Spider is more of a clove scent. You might want to just give it a try if you get a chance sometime. Good Luck!

I have Count Dracula and Smiling Spider, and Smiling Spider smells a lot more like clove cigs to me. It's more bitter and has a very strong tobacco note.

I think Count Dracula is the closest I've tried to clove cigarette smells. It's an explosion of of clove and cinnamon with dusty slightly smoky dry down. The Smiling Spider would be my second closest bet. Even though you don't like cinnamon, I think Count Dracula is more of a clove cigarette scent, while Smiling Spider is more of a clove scent. You might want to just give it a try if you get a chance sometime. Good Luck!

I have Count Dracula and Smiling Spider, and Smiling Spider smells a lot more like clove cigs to me. It's more bitter and has a very strong tobacco note.

Thanks for the votes... it sounds like I'm just going to have to try them both! :P

Yeah, I think that, on me at least, the ylang ylang dominates in Malice, and perhaps conspires with the red patchouli against me, becuase I don't really get any clove at all. Perhaps a little in the throw, but it's ephemeral. The Smiling Spider is definitely closer to the Clove Cigarette scent, and smells quite like them on the wrists of my gloves right now, actually, but doesn't quite have that same effect on my skin. Or it depends on my mood, and I haven't hit upon the right one just yet.

Thanks for returning with your report! I will probably skip Malice and hitch a ride on the Spider instead...

Finally reporting back on The Smiling Spider. Sadly, this did not turn out good on me. It was really sharp and bitter. I have tried it twice now and something in it just will not work with my skin chemistry. :P

I am thinking it may be a combo of the bitter clove and patchouli. I don't usually like patch, but there are a few blends that have it that really work for me.

I did not get the clove cig scent from this. I am thinking if it had sweet clove it may have been a different story.

I am going to add that after a long wait, it does end up being less bitter and more spicy on me, but, the smell I get while waiting for that is just too strong and headache inducing to wait.

Edited by strangemodegirl

Finally reporting back on The Smiling Spider. Sadly, this did not turn out good on me. It was really sharp and bitter. I have tried it twice now and something in it just will not work with my skin chemistry. :P

I am thinking it may be a combo of the bitter clove and patchouli. I don't usually like patch, but there are a few blends that have it that really work for me.

I did not get the clove cig scent from this. I am thinking if it had sweet clove it may have been a different story.

I am going to add that after a long wait, it does end up being less bitter and more spicy on me, but, the smell I get while waiting for that is just too strong and headache inducing to wait.

Thanks for the report from the front lines! That is discouraging, but I will still be seeking a decant to try. Maybe layering with a drop of (diluted) clove essential oil would improve it?

Anyway, thanks again!

The Clod and The Pebble from the Valentine's Day poems LE's is completely clove for me. Maybe you could find a bit of that floating about, to try?

The Clod and The Pebble from the Valentine's Day poems LE's is completely clove for me. Maybe you could find a bit of that floating about, to try?

Although lovely and woody in the bottle, The Clod and the Pebble was pure rose after a few moments on my skin... no cloves for me. :P But perhaps it would work for other clove cigarette seekers.

(I had a post, but it got eaten)

Valentine of Rome is going very clove-like, at least on my skin... clove cigarettes, Lapsang Souchong & Turkish Delight.

I've got some Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn comoing my way from a forum sale (it's red amber, Spanish moss, Indonesian patchouli, ambergris, red pepper, two cloves, and vanilla flower). Since my interests bound from one clove scent to the next once I discover and test one (my friend and I each ordered half an imp pack, so I've got Plunder coming, and she's got Jack, which I told her I might have to knock her down and take if it's just right :P ), I will test the Wild Men (well that sounds dirty) and report back.

Valentine of Rome is going very clove-like, at least on my skin... clove cigarettes, Lapsang Souchong & Turkish Delight.

Oh, how I wish! No, on me Valentine of Rome was the scent of the incense and candle section of a sunlit New Age shop... nice enough, but unremarkable as a personal scent.

I've tried two more blends recommended in this thread: Blockbuster and Dracul. Unfortunately, neither smelled like cloves or tobacco on my skin. Blockbuster was an utter disaster, an unexpectedly gross jasmine-like floral. Dracul was pleasant enough, but also surprising. I was expecting something uber-masculine, but it was very light and sweet. It smelled like lime cola at first, then as it dried it started to remind me of Voodoo. When finally dry, it was powdery with a hint of plastic.

And so the search continues!

Accidental discovery of the day: Al-Shairan + Tavern of Hell = A pretty decent olfactory rendition of an unlit clove cigarette. Of course, accounting for skin shemistry differences, YMMV.

as a longtime lover of the clove ciggies (alas i don't smoke them as often anymore...but i adore the scent!) i have to cast my vote for smiling spider....when i first tried it the first thought in my head was ooooh!sexy goth bois and clove ciggies! and right now my favorite layering combo is the spider with snake oil. :P

as a longtime lover of the clove ciggies (alas i don't smoke them as often anymore...but i adore the scent!) i have to cast my vote for smiling spider....when i first tried it the first thought in my head was ooooh!sexy goth bois and clove ciggies! and right now my favorite layering combo is the spider with snake oil. :D

Oh God, I never thought of that :P

Accidental discovery of the day: Al-Shairan + Tavern of Hell = A pretty decent olfactory rendition of an unlit clove cigarette. Of course, accounting for skin shemistry differences, YMMV.

Ooo... good to know! I haven't tried either of those yet. Thanks!

So, I tried it out today (right after I read the forum, in fact), and put on The Smiling Spider and swiped some Snake Oil on over it. At first, I wasn't sure how well they were doing together on me, but then the clove really came out in a way that pleased me. :P

I managed to snag decants of Mad Meg and The Smiling Spider in a swap with a lovely forumite, and I've now tested them both a couple times. The good news is that the black musk in The Smiling Spider behaved itself and didn't turn the whole blend into baby powder upon contact with my skin, and the cinnamon and vetiver in Mad Meg were similarly well-behaved. The bad news is that I didn't get much in the way of clove or tobacco out of either one. I'm clearly in the minority in this regard, and I thought perhaps my nose was wonky, so I had my partner (who also loves clove cigarettes) give me a sniff when I had Mad Meg on one wrist and The Smiling Spider on the other. He declared The Smiling Spider "okay" and Mad Meg "candle-y". When I asked if he thought either one smelled like clove cigarettes, he shook his head and said decisively, "No. Not at all."

Sigh. It looks like I will have to chalk this up to a skin chemistry failing. My skin apparently loves cloves as much as I do, and it devours them before I even get a chance to catch a stray waft! :P

I'm still holding out hope for Three Witches and Count Dracula and dreaming of Formula 54...

I'm sorry you are having such bad luck, Apple!

If you get a chance to try Formula 54 without having to sell plasma, go for it - after reading about your experiences, though, my advice would be not to break your neck to get it. If you amped florals in Block Buster and The Clod and The Pebble my feeling is that you will amp the florals in F54 too. The clove in it is definitely a back-up player and not a dominant note, IMO, it's all about the rose and the musk.

I'm sorry you are having such bad luck, Apple!

If you get a chance to try Formula 54 without having to sell plasma, go for it - after reading about your experiences, though, my advice would be not to break your neck to get it. If you amped florals in Block Buster and The Clod and The Pebble my feeling is that you will amp the florals in F54 too. The clove in it is definitely a back-up player and not a dominant note, IMO, it's all about the rose and the musk.

Oh, not to worry... I am enjoying the journey. It's hardly a tragedy that I've had to try so many BPALs in my quest. :D And thank you for the heads-up on Formula 54. I'm a rose amper to the extreme (and apparently a clove muter), so I will avoid selling precious body parts, plasma, etc. to obtain it. :P