Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
amaltheagray

Clove discussion! including bitter clove and clove cigarettes

The clove in Three Witches is very strong on my skin. It is discontinued but I do see it occasionally in forum sales. That's how I got mine.

I'm not sure if I've ever seen this recommended, but Baron Samedi was strongly dry clove on me after the almond wears off...

Blood is quite spicy-dark clove with cherry on me.

Similarly there is a period in Blood Kiss's morphing that my ex-boyfriend once identified as smelling exactly like clove cigarettes. BK seems to do pretty widely varying things on people's skin, so it might stay in that stage for you -- for me it ends up a heady, luscious syruppy scent (blended so well that cloves aren't super prominent) grounded in vetiver, but it's worth a shot I'd say.

ETA: Here's a link to a similar question.

Edited by dorothy humbird

ETA: Here's a link to a similar question.

**smacks head** D'oh! I'm such an idiot :/ I should have searched before I posted a new topic.. mods, go ahead and smack me.

Count Dracula smells a lot like clove cigarettes to me. In fact I referenced them in my review of it Here.

Hope that helps!

~Kim

Edited by Kimocean

Yes. Count Dracula smells EXACTLY (well, almost) like clove cigarettes. It's got the clove, plus a bit of smokiness. I put it it on a jacket a while ago and when I pulled it out I thought it was the one I'd worn when I saw a friend who smoked tons of clove cigarettes. Plus, Count Dracula is an awesome scent period.

After that, I'd try Three Witches. It was also heavy clove, but not as smoky.

Oh, I think that Voodoo Queen will forever be my holy grail of clove scents. I don't wear it often since my bottle has such a big dent in it, but it's a great cool weather scent and the clovey wonderfulness makes me swoon. Beth told the story of blending this one "free hand" - not her usual process, where every thing she adds is precisely measured and documented so she can have a formula to work from, it's more of her Chaos Theory approach - the result being, she will never make it again. So I will have to enjoy it while it lasts.

Yes. Count Dracula smells EXACTLY (well, almost) like clove cigarettes. It's got the clove, plus a bit of smokiness. I put it it on a jacket a while ago and when I pulled it out I thought it was the one I'd worn when I saw a friend who smoked tons of clove cigarettes. Plus, Count Dracula is an awesome scent period.

After that, I'd try Three Witches. It was also heavy clove, but not as smoky.

even more clove cigarette-ish than count dracula is the smiling spider :P

The nominees for Clove in a Lead Role: Three Witches, Count Dracula and the Superstar of All Clove Blends The Smiling Spider.

The nominees for Clove in a Support Role: The Winter of Our Discontent and Dracul.

And the Winner is......

Ahathoor (although I can't even be absolutely certain it has clove in it as it doesn't have listed notes!)

i love the smell of clove cigarettes (okay, whatever, i love clove cigarettes) and i love the hint of leather one gets from an old leather coat in the beginning of autumn. which, of course, leads to loving to smoke clove cigarettes while wearing my leather coat in the beginning of autumn.

Bumping this thread, because I am desperately in search of such a scent. I've seen Perversion recommended, and although it's a sweet tobacco scent, it doesn't capture that clove-y goodness, and I get no leather at all from it. I tried layering Perversion, De Sade, and some clove bud essential oil, and although that was yummy, it's not quite what I'm looking for, either. Have any new scents been introduced that capture the scent of clove cigarettes being smoked by someone in a leather jacket, with or without a hint of autumn (cold crisp air, dry leaves) in the background? Something without other fruits, flowers, cinnamon, or dragon's blood, ideally just a pure tobacco + clove + leather (preferably black leather), with a hint of smokiness.

Things I've tried: The Smiling Spider, Perversion, March Hare, Port-au-Prince, Hellfire, Havana, Madrid, The Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn, Blockbuster, Dracul, Mad Meg, The Clod and the Pebble, Valentine of Rome

Things I haven't tried yet: Three Witches, Blood, Blood Kiss, French Creole, Formula 54, Count Dracula, Wrath, Al Shairan

Recommendations?

Edit: Added to the tried/haven't tried lists.

Edited by Apple

i love the smell of clove cigarettes (okay, whatever, i love clove cigarettes) and i love the hint of leather one gets from an old leather coat in the beginning of autumn. which, of course, leads to loving to smoke clove cigarettes while wearing my leather coat in the beginning of autumn.

Bumping this thread, because I am desperately in search of such a scent. I've seen Perversion recommended, and although it's a sweet tobacco scent, it doesn't capture that clove-y goodness, and I get no leather at all from it. I tried layering Perversion, De Sade, and some clove bud essential oil, and although that was yummy, it's not quite what I'm looking for, either. Have any new scents been introduced that capture the scent of clove cigarettes being smoked by someone in a leather jacket, with or without a hint of autumn (cold crisp air, dry leaves) in the background? Something without other fruits, flowers, cinnamon, or dragon's blood, ideally just a pure tobacco + clove + leather (preferably black leather), with a hint of smokiness.

Things I've tried: Perversion, March Hare, Port-au-Prince, Hellfire

Things I haven't tried yet: Three Witches, Blood, Blood Kiss, Blockbuster, French Creole, Formula 54, Dracul, Count Dracula

Recommendations?

I was looking for the same and a couple of people recommended The Smiling Spider. I have a bottle on order and I'll report back once I actually get it. :P

Have you tried The Smiling Spider (Salon Exhibit Three)? The ingredients listed are bitter clove, black musk, mahogany wood, and patchouli. No tobacco, but the wood/musk/patchouli gives the impression of smokiness. I looove it.

Thanks for the super-fast replies! I haven't tried The Smiling Spider yet, but it's on my wish list. I'll have to make it more of a priority! :P

Just adding another recommendation for The Smiling Spider, it's the most true clove BPAL I've tried with just a bit of woodsy smokiness to it as well. It smells pretty much exactly like smoking a clove cigarette to me, and a lot of the reviews for it mention the same. :P It doesn't have the hint of leather you're after, but it's a perfect starting point for some layerin', I think.

Just adding another recommendation for The Smiling Spider, it's the most true clove BPAL I've tried with just a bit of woodsy smokiness to it as well. It smells pretty much exactly like smoking a clove cigarette to me, and a lot of the reviews for it mention the same. :P It doesn't have the hint of leather you're after, but it's a perfect starting point for some layerin', I think.

Thanks for weighing in. I'm definitely going to have work harder at finding a decant!

I haven't smelled the Smiling Spider, but Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn (Carnaval Diabolique) and Mad Meg (Salon) are both very clovey, too. I prefer Mad Meg as it's more earthy and unisex where Wild Men has a slight masculine edge from the ambergris. To me, ambergris, black musk and leather notes are related, so both Smiling Spider and Wild Men could add the hint of leather jacket you initially mentioned.

I haven't smelled the Smiling Spider, but Wild Men of Jezirat Al Tennyn (Carnaval Diabolique) and Mad Meg (Salon) are both very clovey, too. I prefer Mad Meg as it's more earthy and unisex where Wild Men has a slight masculine edge from the ambergris. To me, ambergris, black musk and leather notes are related, so both Smiling Spider and Wild Men could add the hint of leather jacket you initially mentioned.

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hrm... I really like The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn, but it didn't smell anything like a clove cigarette to me. It was mostly a gentle musk... the clove was subdued, and there was no tobacco. I haven't tried Mad Meg, but the prospect of vetiver combined with cinnamon makes my stomach lurch. Is either of those notes very pronounced? And is there a tobacco note? I don't see one listed, but I know that doesn't mean it isn't there. :P

Unfortunately, black musk turns into baby powder on my skin and as a result, it smells nothing like leather or ambergris to me. I'm hoping the black musk in The Smiling Spider will behave itself; it ruined Iago and Haunted for me. Fingers crossed!

Muchas gracias for the additional suggestions! Sadly, Madrid smelled like cherry cough syrup on me, although I have been meaning to try layering it with Perversion. I'll have to give that a whirl and report back.

Havana was also a no-go for me, but an excellent suggestion for others looking a tobacco/leather blend. There's just something about the brown/English leather note that makes me feel queasy.

I haven't tried any CBIHP or Arcana blends yet, because I am an absolute freak about the ingredients in my personal products and I haven't grilled them to see if they're up to my freak standards. :P I also saw a rec for Bathed & Infused earlier in this thread... I may have to interrogate them all!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Hrm... I really like The Wild Men of Jezirat al Tennyn, but it didn't smell anything like a clove cigarette to me. It was mostly a gentle musk... the clove was subdued, and there was no tobacco. I haven't tried Mad Meg, but the prospect of vetiver combined with cinnamon makes my stomach lurch. Is either of those notes very pronounced? And is there a tobacco note? I don't see one listed, but I know that doesn't mean it isn't there. :P

Unfortunately, black musk turns into baby powder on my skin and as a result, it smells nothing like leather or ambergris to me. I'm hoping the black musk in The Smiling Spider will behave itself; it ruined Iago and Haunted for me. Fingers crossed!

Oh, sorry about not having read about you disliking cinnamon. And yes, I think the vetiver in Mad Meg is quite pronounced. Couldn't tell about the cinnamon, it's a note that I don't detect well when it's mixed with other spices. Clove is my favourite spice scent. It also amps on me apparently because Wild Men is very clovey (which I love about it). However, ambergris translates as leathery men's cologne to my nose, and since I found Mad Meg, which is earthy clove heaven on me, it has taken Wild Men's place.

I wish you good luck with Smiling Spider! I'm hoping to test that one, as well. :D

Oh, sorry about not having read about you disliking cinnamon. And yes, I think the vetiver in Mad Meg is quite pronounced. Couldn't tell about the cinnamon, it's a note that I don't detect well when it's mixed with other spices. Clove is my favourite spice scent. It also amps on me apparently because Wild Men is very clovey (which I love about it). However, ambergris translates as leathery men's cologne to my nose, and since I found Mad Meg, which is earthy clove heaven on me, it has taken Wild Men's place.

I wish you good luck with Smiling Spider! I'm hoping to test that one, as well. :P

No problem... thanks for the reply and the good luck wishes! I really amp cinnamon, so if it's in a blend, it's usually all I can smell. It positively bludgeons other spices to death, which is a shame because it's frequently mixed with other spices that I love (like clove and nutmeg). I only wish that clove amped on me!

I agree that ambergris often gives a more masculine edge to a blend, but I think my nose reads it as musky as opposed to leathery.

Oh, and for anyone who was waiting with 'bated breath for the results of my layering experiment:

Perversion + Madrid = super-strong cherry pipe tobacco, like walking into a tobacco shop and being smothered under an avalanche of Swisher Sweets. Holy moly, that is some serious throw and wear-length! Very sweet and cloying, I found the mixture overwhelming. It really needs something smoky or earthy (or maybe sharp) to ground it and cut the sweetness. I tried adding a drop of De Sade, which helped a little bit, but De Sade's smoky soapiness was no match for the perverse Spaniard Frankenstein I created.

Possibly try Lunar Eclipse? It's not clove-y, but it's fruity tobacco that is spicy and smoky (on me, at least). I tend to amp cherry and don't get anything like that from Lunar Eclipse. If nothing else, it might be something else you'd enjoy and could layer even if it's not the dead-on scent you're looking for. :P

I haven't tried Dracul or Lunar Eclipse, but Dracul is on my wish list. If I recall correctly, I was scared off by the reviews of Lunar Eclipse mentioning a lot of vetiver... I may have to go re-read those and re-think my position.

Thanks to both of you!