Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
phaedrine

Skuld

Skuld: Being:

Ylang ylang, honey, Egyptian and Arabian musks and labdanum.

I couldn't resist this one. I'm a sucker for anything with honey in it.

In the bottle, definitely a warm, dark honey, very fresh and almost juicy. It almost smells a bit grape to me.

As it dries, the honey becomes less present and the grape goes away entirely. It becomes musky, sweetned with honey and with the ylangylang making it all very fresh and not-quite-floral. Wait. The grape pops up here and there, but never really stays. It seems like it's there only every third or fourth time I sniff my arm. I wonder if that's the labdanum? A google search brings up something that says it has a hint of plum...perhaps.

It's very beautiful, but I'm not sure if I'm going to need a bottle of it or if the imp is enough for me.

Initial Impression:

Very warm scent, sweet but not overly so, and heady.

After Wearing It:

HONEY was my first thought, but that's to be expected. I'm such a nut for honey scents that my nose has become a very excitable homing device that (temporarily) blocks out all else once it finds it. After my excitement abated a bit, I found the blend to have a very strong ylang ylang not too which gave Skuld that sensual with a bite! tone. I didn't notice the musk notes until about half an hour after the scent dried, and even after that they basically served as just a very warm and slightly spicy foundation. Also made Skuld smell similar to O, yet definitely not as aggressively sexual.

Skuld was sweet and inviting yet strangely hazy. It was like trying to focus while in a very pleasant haze of mind. Yet it also was an very unobtrusive scent, in that the scent whispered its presence instead of screaming it. It was an ever-present halo around me, but it was a bit evasive and I had to seek its presence to really enjoy it. Which sounds contrary I guess, especially for a scent with notes like this, but I think it's very appropriate for Skuld.

Final Thoughts:

Loved this one as much as I knew I would. But then with honey and arabian musk, how could it go wrong??

This is one those ones you sniff and just go "WOW!" I sniffed it before I refreshed my memory with its description, and was really blown away by the deep honey scent. It gets more complex as I wear it, as I almost detect a hint of green/mossiness. It's very lovely - I'd get a 5ml of it if I didn't have a bunch in line already to buy for the next Moon update.

I can never be sure if a scent with ylang ylang is going to work on me or not. I'm undecided on this at the moment. I used to be able to wear honey and ylang ylang but any more, they don't always smell so great on me. I can't place the fruitiness in the oil, but I definitely smell something fruity. I didn't think labdanum was a fruit, I was under the impression it was a resin like frankincense. All in all, this is honey and ylang ylang with soft musk in the background and that fruity note I can't place. I may be putting this up for swaps (5 ml), as I'm not sure it works well with my chemistry or maybe it's just not me. I'll test it once more before I decide.

SKULD FRIGGIN' ROCKS!!!

Seriously.

I ordered an imp of Skuld with my Cold Moon order, and I am so happy. Even if all the other imps are crap, I don't care, *this* is utterly divine. Not that the Lab would ever make "crap," mind you, but I'm just saying this as an example.

Where shall I start? Okay, this is a very strong, sweet fragrance. The oil isn't sugary, however, more honey-sweet. Like Orange Blossom honey (yum!). On me, I thought I smelled something berry-like, but I do have a cold, so I could just have been smelling the honey note or perhaps the labdanum was playing tricks on me. In any case, it lasted a good while, and I am just tickled that this fragrance smells so good.

Anyone else heard of Ah! Megamisama!? Skuld from that show would definitely wear this. It's a very playful fragrance that a young woman could wear.

By the way, I admit, I didn't know what the component "labdanum" was, so I went to look it up on Google and found this site which states:

Gum Labdanum resin - Cistus villosus var. creticus - from Spain. The fragrance of Labdanum is very complex. This waxy resin produces a balsamlike, woody, earthy, marshy, smoky, ambergrislike, leathery, flowery, honeylike, mintlike fragrance with hints of plum or oakmoss after a rain.

I didn't get anything smelling "ambergrislike" or "leathery" or "mintlike," but I think Skuld was a lightly earthy fragrance. I also had the impression that cinnamon was hiding in the oil, but again, I have a cold, so I could be smelling something totally different, though I wouldn't put it past the labdanum giving off the woodsy fragrance.

A big bottle is definitely on an upcoming order, perhaps even the very next one. I think those of you who like the intensity of Hollywood Babylon or Lampades may want to give Skuld a try. It's sort of in the same scent grade, but doesn't smell like any of those two, if that makes any sense. Skuld is deep and complex to try and figure out, but simple enough to be enjoyable.

It's love! Love!!

-doreen

I think my skin amps up ylang ylang, cause all the scent I get with this note end up smelling the same on me. Which is nice.. but a bit boring.

so Skuld, to me, is all all ylang ylang with maybe a hint of musk, and so I guess Ill swap it with someone who has better chemistry than me for these notes.

I LOVE THIS SCENT!! WHY didn't I buy a 5ml when I ordered it?

Something reminds me FAINTLY of Lilith and it must be the musk, because there are no other shared notes. I don't get any of the single notes really, I smell the FAINTEST touch of ylang ylang, a tiny bit of honey, but it's just a good, intense-but-not-overpowering, sweet-but-not-cloying, spicy sexy blend.

This is the third Norn, Skuld : Being. She represents becoming, the future, the unseen.

Opening the vial and putting this on, I'm struck by the fruity quality that erupts from the sweet notes of ylang ylang and honey. It is so sweet. Not sugary sweet, but just ... sweet. Sort of like a very high floral note, but not so cloying.

I have to keep smelling it out of the bottle. It reminds me a bit of Mabon on first inhale, even though there really are no berries in here.

This is one I feel I have to slather on to get it to waft off enough for my tastes. Then again, it could be the dry winter air. But it's a light scent, not as heavy as her sister Urd.

As this wears, it remains sweet, but not so intense. The musks begin to emerge and mingle and temper the sweet. It is a soft blend of honey and musk. It sort of reminds me of Salomé now, but without the jasmine note.

YAY. This is totally lovely. I reaaallllly like this one. I'm completely happy with all three Norn scents! Glad I grabbed all 3 in 5ml bottles. I actually should have gone for the 10mls!

:P :D

First sniff:

I smell ylang-ylang, honey and something vaguely resinous (the labdanum, I presume). This reminds me of Le Petit Mort with an added resin note and I'm not sure I'm going to like this since Le Petit Mort bordered between my liking it and feeling queasy when I smelled it. :P

Wet on skin:

Hmm, I can't even smell this on myself. That's a little weird. I imagine it'll come back in a moment, that happens sometimes. There...all I'm getting is ylang-ylang and a hint of honey now and none of the resin note I was hoping for. This is nice enough, but I would prefer if it were stronger in the resin department.

Dry down:

This is pretty much the same dry as it was wet. I think my skin chemistry may be wreaking havoc with Skuld, which is sad because I loved Urd and had high hopes for her sister. :D

The bottom line:

I'm pretty sure I can chalk this failure up to bad skin chemistry, but it's still disappointing. :D

Skuld - fist sniff, mmmmm it's all honey :P

Once on the scent becomes quite prominent with the honey dominating the other notes. After about an hour or so the honey tones down and the ylang ylang comes out. Musks keep this from becoming too sweet and lend the oil an exotic air. Something in this blend reminds me a bit of Jezebel but I like Skuld better. This is a delicious oil and I'm glad I bought a big bottle.

At first this is WAY too sweet. It needs to calm down or I will get a cavity from sniffing it. As it dries it mellows and becomes a gorgeous sweet scent, mostly it's the ylangylang I smell, I think. I love this when it dries, but can I stand it while it's wet is the question.

I got an imp of Skuld in a swap with phaedrine :D . Right out of the imp, I got hit with a lovely waft of honey, I love honey. Then for the first 15 minutes, the honey kept trading places with grape (yeah, phaedrine, I got it too!). It's a purple grape ala Welch's. At this point, it reminded me a lot of Athens and Cairo, since both of those have honey with a wine note. The drydown is quite different though, much more musky, and even though I know the floral note is ylang ylang, the combination of musks and labdanum really disguise it, it smells almost spicy. This is a very yummy blend :P . I'm not sure I would get a bottle of it as it isn't quite as strong as other honey blends I love but I will surely enjoy this imp and may change my mind by the time I'm done with it.

Edited by ChupaChup

First Impression: Way sharply sweet ylang-ylang.

Second Impression: I get a very "strong perfume-y" vibe from Skuld. It's very sweet and heady but not in any candy or foody way. There is a good long time before this gets soft and pleasant enough to put near my nose, this is a potent one.

Final Analysis: Definitely not for me, this would send poor Rob into sneezing oblivian!

Ordered as an imp based on the notes ...

IN THE BOTTLE: Very very sweet ... I know that sounds vague but it's the overriding reaction.

I apply first just to wrists ...

WET: The first note to jump out at me is the ylang-ylang ... I LOVE ylang-ylang (in fact, it was one of the few single-note imps I bought) but have not yet found the perfect BPAL scent that contains it as one of a mixed palette of notes ... the others have all gone bubble gum or soapy on me so I'm holding my breath (well, figuratively) as I wait to see if the honey, musk and labdanum play nicely with it.

I added it to the crooks of my arms as well once I knew I liked it ...

DRYDOWN: Divine and diviner ... The scents mix just beautifully, with the YY and honey the predominant notes (I wouldn't detect any musk at all if I didn't see it in the list, and I am not sure what labdanum smells like except that I have liked every scent I've tried where it's been on the list). Neither one is knock-you-over strong, and yet this scent has serious legs ... I applied it at 7:30 this morning and it's almost 7 p.m. and I am STILL getting serious throw.

Right now this is on my "order another imp" list but I'm going to wear it one or two more times before the Feb. 23 update with the strong possibility of upgrading that to a 5 ML ...

REREVIEWED FEB. 26 2014 when I really thought I had scored this the first time ... imp in my bix and a subsequent imp added to collection.

IN THE IMP: Sweet and bitter at the same time yet filled with so much promise.

Dabbed liberally in the crook of one arm because I was test driving four at once.

WET: Honey and sweetness,and outdoorsiness and frehsness and green.

DRYDOWN: a really genius combination of these scents where it sweet but not too sweet, musky but not too musky, resiny yet not quite resiny.

OVERALL: I can't figure out a reason why I had this in my swap pile and am glad I didn't get called on it then because it is totally me.

On a scale of 1.5, 4.8

Edited by JazzieCazzie

In the bottle: grape candy.

Wet: Very sweet but not overly so. Still very much like candy.

Drydown: The honey really floats to the surface as do the musks. Wonderfully balanced, the honey never gets too sweet and the musks never get too strong.

Finally: it did go rather musky but the initial phases are enough to convince me to try it again.

BPAL's ylang-ylang usually smells syrupy on me. In Skuld, the ylang-ylang takes a backseat to a marvelous true honey smell. I felt like the queen bee.

I didn't catch a note that I could identify as labdanum. No matter. Skuld had me sniffing my wrists all day.

Very fruity and almost grape in the bottle, this was very warm and full of sweet golden resiny smells on me. Lots of honey in this and a somewhat mellowing touch of musk. This was soft and soothing but not overly special with my chemistry. off to swaps.

First sniff: Skuld is resinous and almost syrupy – not in sweetness, but in thickness. It’s an odd scent – I’m having trouble pinning it down.

Wearing: It explodes into honey on my skin… the Lab’s wonderfully thick smoky honey. Fan-bloody-tastic.

Skuld is initially a thick, syrupy honey that gives way to a ylang ylang phase that is gently spiced by the musks and slightly sweetened by a residue of the honey note. At this stage, it smells pretty similar to La Petite Mort to my nose, except lighter and less complex. The labdanum component then takes over Skuld, pushing pretty much all the other notes aside. A very pretty but not compelling scent on me, so this imp is most likely headed for the swap pile.

I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought this was grapey. What's up with that? I don't know what labdanum is though, I thought it was something incensey or resiny.

The sweetness carries this for the first few minutes, and the musks never really came out to play as much as I would have liked. It's still very, very sweet, but at deep drydown all I can smell is ylang and honey (which is good because ylang without sweets = :P )

I would classify this as a deep red scent, almost plum in color.

Overall, I think I am gonna swap it. It's okay but waay to sweet for me. Which is too bad, I was pretty excited about this one :D

The notes in Skuld are elusive, after the opening burst of warm honey tones down.

The ylang ylang and honey graft onto each other, a sweetness and warmth combination. They are supported by a very light smokiness from the resins, which makes the scent fade in and out -- at moments I can't smell it at all, and then it wafts back in.

It reminds me of watching waves of mist obscure and reveal a far horizon.

in the vial: i double check the tag....no it is indeed not glitter, but it has the same juicy fruit smell glitter has, which is good i like glitter ok

wet: glitter w/ a touch of musk and honey which deepens her a bit, makes it more grownup

dry: wow almost all honey, there is a very very faint hint of something fruity lurking deep in the recesses but mostly it is honey...what a strange morph but all in all it is lovely

I love Skuld! It reminds me of a combination of O and Bewitched. Yes, I know that sounds odd, so let me explain--it has the sweet honey of O combined with the candyish fruit of Bewitched (I, too, get a grape scent from this. I think it's the ylang ylang that's making me smell fruit). Anyway, this has a musky drydown and is soft, sweet, and lovely. To the big-bottle list it goes. :P

Skuld is gorgeous. Wet this smells of grape, but dries down more like lavender or lilac in my opinion. Slightly powdery/creamier scent after wearing for several hours. After many hours I get a smell similar to Hellcat. I love this one :P