Post-Update: Forum Issues Read more... ×
BPAL Madness!
Penance

Coyote

The Native American Creator / Trickster God of Chaos and Change. The warmth of doeskin, dry plains grasses and soft, dusty woods warmed by amber and a downy, gentle coat of deep musk.

It's surprisingly green in the vial. On, grassland sweet with a hint of floral and crushed greens. It's all bound down by the amber and comforting musk. Overall, the scent is light and gender neutral to feminine. Quite nice.

ADDED 11/1/09:

This smells like a night in the woods, young trees, warm night air. I love the musk in this blend; it's so soft and snuggly in a way that never approaches something domestic and home-like, but rather something that belong outside, yet is still sweet. I love the grasses that come out, which are not green or herbal, but more living. The almost citrus feel of this makes me think this might be black musk.

Second skin kind of scent. Yeap, I want more of this. Edited by Shollin

Sweet and musky. This is lighter and more girlie than I'd generally pick, but I like how it smells like desert. It took a little while to get used to, but it really grew on me. Pleasantly delicate.

Yep, there's the furry coyote basking in the sun on the dry, grassy plains.

Oh, and look, it has cubs! Sweeter, softer, not quite as musky as their parent and very cuddly.

Dry, sweet grass, dirt and musk. After some time the amber comes forward and makes the scent smoother, sweeter and almost a little creamy. It's a wonderful, comforting scent in all it's stages and my favorite bpal-musk so far. I can't categorize this as feminine or masculine; I love this on me and I think this would totally work on a man as well.

:P

Edited by Maia

This was a frimp from the Lab. :P I generally do well with "canine" scents so I was looking forward to testing this one.

Wet, the dominant note is the same juicy, very tangible wood note I got from Fenris Wolf, mixed with something green and maybe some spice.

During the drydown it goes through a very floral stage. It was pretty overpowering and seemed unpromising, but lasted only about 15 minutes.

After the floral recedes, this is a very warm, very comfortable blend of soft musk and some green plants that are registering with my nose as somewhat tea-like. The wood is in the background but still there if I look for it. It's very cozy, and while it doesn't smell like doggie to me, it has the same warm and relaxed feeling I get from snuggling with a dog. I like this very much.

4 out of 5. Try it if you like: Fenris Wolf (Coyote is a much more mellow doggie, but there's a resemblance.)

ETA: This just in! I gave it to the boyfriend and it just BLOOMED on him in a way that it did not on me. Holy musk and leather and spices sexiness, Batman! It reminded me on him of what Mr. Jacquel did on me.

Reader, I jumped him.

Edited by lady_pandora

Ugh! This was like a cloyingly sweet men's cologne. It reminded me of "English Leather" by Dana (which I don't like), and it was so strong that even after washing it off it hung around forever, making me feel ill.

In the Imp (wet): All musk and wood. Hmmm...

On me: This one lasted me through most of the day without re-application and kept me perky. A good thing in my books. I catch a hint of sweet grass, a herb I used to stock for purification ritual, which I love the smell of. And the warmth in this one is soothing, clinging to me and is slightly more masculine than most scents I would wear, but a beautiful scent all the same. May be worth getting a bottle of.

In bottle-

definitely a touch of amber is this one- FANTASTIC. Also warmth- the scent of a clean canine that's been basking in the sun- sun warmed fur is what i'd call it.

Wet-

still rich with amber, but holding its warmth. MMM

dry-

this completely compliments my natural musk, and it almost smells natural on me- warm hints of fur, dry grass and amber- It's almost like I've become part canine with this scent!

WONDERFUL SO glad I bought a 5ML.

Well, this is the one I've been waiting for, and it finally arrived on Christmas Eve...Merry Christmas to me!! :D

I love this scent; it smells exactly like the description, warm, dry, grassy plains, soft winds, fur, doeskin, all of it. In the bottle, all of the smells mesh, and they make me feel like I might if I lived in South Dakota...

On my skin wet, I smell kind of an amber-y musk, soft inviting.

As it dries down, Coyote smells to me like soft fur, and those gentle, fragrant Plains breezes. It is very soothing and warm, like autumn.

I LOVE this one; I got two bottles because I knew I would love it, and it is my favorite of all the oils I have purchased recently. I want to have it on hand always.. :P

Sniffed this last night in the imp, but musks and I weren't getting along, and that was all I could smell. Tried again today, though, with different results.

In the imp: Prairie grasses in spring while fresh and new. Very green scent.

Wet: Starting to get the amber, and the grass morphs to a dried sweetgrass. Not really getting any other notes early on.

Dry: Occasionally I get a hint of musk or sun-warmed fur, but mostly it's sweetgrass and my beloved amber. I'm reminded of the sepia-toned scene in Gladiator where he trails his hand along the wheat.

This has lasted a long time, not much throw, but I prefer scents that stay close to the skin. Overall, I really like this, and will add it to my regular use scents.

Mmm, Coyote. This is an oil that, in my experience, needs to be aged for it to be at its best. I got several imps about two years ago, and at first they were a sort of sharp musk that I didn't much care for, but now. Oh, now. The leather's come out, and the musk is downy and the amber ties everything together and mmmm. So good. It's like sitting out in tall grass on a sunny day and burying your face into soft, fluffy fur. I got a bottle about three months ago and the musk's sharp like the imps were, so I am going to age it up and it will be DIVINE and ALL MINE. Mmmmmmmm.

Bottle: Musk and maybe some woods

On Me: I absolutely love this scent. It's a big comfort scent for me, and I don't know why. The musk and grasses mellows out (becoming less harsh and more warm). The amber is really subtle in this one, but really lovely. I expected this scent to be more masculine, but I think it still works on me. I generally pair this one with a sweeter scent to give it more throw. it's like snuggling up to warm fur. Comforting.

This is pleasant in the imp. A warm, dusty musk. I saw another reviewer describe this as a "beige" scent, and I could not agree more.

The feel is on the same on my skin, it doesn't morph much from that original sniff. It's very comforting. Makes me wanna go cuddle my doggy. Musks and I don't always get along, but this is really quite nice.

It doesn't change much more upon full drydown. The amber is maybe a bit stronger and the overall scent is a little less dusty, but it's still a nice soft earthy/animal musk.

Overall I don't think this is something I would get a bottle of...I can't think of a time when I would actually wear it! But I will hold onto the imp for a while and try it again later. It's definitely not bad, it's just not my thing.

This reminds me of western diamondback, I think. It is okay, but sadly a little too sweetgrass for me.

Started out sweeter than I thought it'd be, but pleasant. When it dried, though, it lost the green smell I liked and the sweet turned to powdery grape candy. I guess this one just doesn't work on me.

Edited by arsenicsauce

imp: sharp grass, woods and musk.

wet: the grass steals the stage here, unfortunately. when grass is the topnote it rarely works out for me. there is a nice undertone of musk though.

dry: the grass just won't fade, it's still quite strong. darn.

For me...this is the smell of freedom. Running over dry plains, unencumbered, unattached, wild. It is beautiful, but not unattainably so. It is a deep-earthy scent, a natural musk mixed with the doeskin, that is soft and friendly. Coyote is feral and alive. It is not a scent I think I would wear out on a typical day as a perfume, or even as a special occaison scent.

It is something more private, one I would wear around the house to be comforted by. This I need more of, especially since it wore off more quickly than I would have liked (and I used ALOT once I realized how it smelled on me)...I guess I really do need to get a scent locket.

In my most recent order which included over 30 imps, Coyote was the only one that elicited a verbal "damn!"

This stuff really evokes nice mental imagery.. warm, sunny and summery. It has a perfumey quality to it, but it's fairly gender neutral.

No wonder this stuff is so widely loved here on the forum. It's very comforting and definitely something I'll be wearing more of as the days become longer and warmer.

Edit: Ahh.. almost immediately upon drydown the scent started to fade. By 1 hour I was left with nothing more than a faint babypowder. By 2 hours it was gone entirely.

Edited by Josh

I don't know why, but I was really looking forward to this one. The description was so different from anything else I had, I just had to give it a try.

Wet, in the imp: greeny, grassy, just the barest hint of musk under it all. Quite pleasant and clean.

Wet, on my skin: still quite green, but the musk is coming out, and something just slightly floral and maybe even a little spicy (just a tiny bit).

Dry, on my skin: How do they do that? It really is like the description! It's kind of warm and a little...I want to say floral but that's not exactly it. I can smell the musk but it's not overpowering, it's very light. It works so well with the green-ness that has stayed with it throughout. I really like this. It's a very calming, self-assured scent. I will need a big bottle of this and I have a feeling it will become one of my frequent everyday scents. It's a very flexible scent for me.

Thumbs up!!

Frimped by the lab! :P

In the imp this is bright and sweet green. I keep thinking of sweet grass.

Wet on my skin it is very light and bright, still sweet, almost a floral.

As it dries the musk and amber are coming out. Not getting any doeskin or woods. Still getting a sweet floral top with the amber musk bottom.

When I first put this on, it was verrrrry sweet. Worry set in because I ordered a full 5ml unsniffed.

Then I waited about 10 minutes and suddenly Coyote morphed into exactly what I had hoped for when I read the description.

Its furry and warm and spicy and woody. I can't describe it any better than the lab did. The only problem is, I think I ordered at the wrong time of year! This smells like a fall scent for sure. Lets see if it ages well. :P

At the beginning, on wet, this was a very cloying sweet grass smell. Now it's a warm musky scent of animals and grass and a sweet floral, but wildflower. Somehow it makes me think of my in-laws place which is a farm out by the MD/PA border - they have huge acres of farm and there is a brook nearby. It makes me think of spring there with the buttercups and the daffodils out, deer in the woods and just grass in the wind.

Unfortunately, the sweet aspect is a little too much for me to handle. Very evocative though.

the strongest note, which is by no means overpowering, is the doeskin--a slightly animalistic scent that i might have worried about if it was stronger but here it is interesting for its slight danger. that and the prarie grass, dried out in the sun for a day or two, so its not completely dry yet. on dry-down the grass note is the stronger of the two but the scent overall is light and forgiving. i love this!

Imp: I have a decant of this courtesy of GirlinDenial and this oil is the most absolutely beautiful golden colour. It looks like dry prairie grass. The scent of the oil is dominantly amber with a touch of something animalistic and a grassy dried herb scent.

Wet: The amber warms and this becomes almost candy sweet.

Dry: Mmm... It's very well blended and I can't really pick out all the different scents but it smells golden. Like driving through the prairies on a hot summer day and pulling over to the side of the road to stretch your legs and just standing there feeling the sun stream onto your face. It's amazingly evocative.

Throw: Minimal. This imp is not destined for a long life.

Overall: How lovely. It's such a sweet, warm, evocative scent. Really a great example of the lab's creativity and faithfulness to inspiration.

It was complete coincidence that I grabbed this out of my test box to try immediately after testing Haunted, but it was definitely kismet. Coyote is a much lighter, dryer amber/musk than Haunted. On me, it's also much sweeter. Wet, it smells almost like a candy necklace. Dry, it's... dry and yellow grasses come to mind. It's still sweeter on me than I recall it being the first time I smelled it on a male friend.

Of the two, I think I prefer Haunted, simply because of its staying power. Coyote was more or less gone in 4 hours. However, if you love Haunted, I can definitely see this being a great summer alternative for when Haunted is just too heavy for the weather.

Coyote is a very odd scent. There’s a sweetness to it, but not like any sweetness you normally smell. It’s sweet in the way a field of wheat in late afternoon is sweet. Or like a good smelling animal. And there something…not bloody, but fleshy maybe, in there too. Maybe how blood would smell to a carnivore.